• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Top 10 Rides of the Year

Lombardia's over, so it's safe to do this now. Single day efforts only. Let's hear them.

1. Cadel Evans, TdF Stage 20, Grenoble ITT
After he ploughed a lonely furrow right the way through the Alps, being run ragged by the combined might of the Schlecks and just about keeping his head above water, to then come back and almost win the ITT against the likes of Martin and Cancellara was astonishing stuff. It was just his time.

2. Andy Schleck, TdF Stage 18, Pinerolo – Col du Galibier
As epic a ride in the big mountains as you could ever wish to witness. Even more impressive, it managed to earn the respect of the Cycling News Forum – well, for 1 day, at least.

3. Fabian Cancellara, Ronde van Vlaanderen
Have we ever seen so much power on a bike before? And then he bonked, big time, recovered, and then somehow managed to get away from the likes of Gilbert and Flecha again. If he’d used his head, before and during the race, as much as he used his legs, he’d have won by 10 minutes.

4. Tony Martin, World Champs ITT, Copenhagen. Beat the undisputed, greatest TTer of all time by over a minute. Nuff said.

5. Alberto Contador, Giro d’Italia Stage 9, Messina to Etna
Ever seen a GT won on the first serious mountain stage? We did this year. Not the hardest working performance or by the biggest margin, but Bertie’s win was done with such dominance and ease, that nobody, including the opposition, thought that he wasn’t going to win the Giro by however much he wanted to win by, after this.

6. British Team, World Champs Elite Mens Road Race, Copenhagen
Yep, all of them. Yeah it was flat, boring, always going to be a sprint, etc., etc. But to control from start to finish and then win a race that they only qualified 3 riders for last year was pretty extraordinary stuff.

7. Jonny Hoogerland, TdF Stage 9, Issoire – Saint-Flour
After getting knocked off your bike by a ton of wayward metal, spiralling through barbed wire and having your legs, literally, ripped to shreds, most of us would go crying to our mum and not got back on a bike again for 2 months. Jonny was picking up the polka dot jersey within 2 hours.

8. Philippe Gilbert, La Fleche Wallonne.
Phil, it’s the Mur de Huy. At least make it look like you’re working for your win a little bit next time please.

9. Mark Cavendish, TdF Stage 5, Carhaix – Cap Frehel
The Sprint of the Year. With no lead out to speak of, the likes of EBH and Hushovd already some way up the road and on a finish he had no right to win on, Cav somehow found a way to do just that.

10. Thor Hushovd, TdF Stage 12, Pau – Lourdes
An irresistible force, Thor imposed his personality, will and sheer presence on the rest. They didn’t stand a chance – he would not be denied.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Fabian Cancellara, Paris Roubaix.

After saving himself and marking his time, Cancellara single-handedly towed Hushovdt and Ballan to within 30 seconds of the race lead. Once it was clear that his companions were expecting him to repeat his mistakes at RvV, he apparently threw in the towel and refused to be the sucker on consecutive weekends. However, his final 10km effort saw him just fail to pull back Johann van Summeren by only half a lap of the velodrome.

Honourable mention: Lars Boom micro-ride Trouee d'Arenberg, Paris Roubaix.

I'm not sure that I've ever seen a rider put in such a devastating effort at Arenberg. Did a Cancellara and rode everyone off his wheel. Spoilt only by untimely punctures and his handbags with Flecha.

1) Contador's attack 100km from the finish line on the Alpe d'Huez stage. I'm sorry but this was just something no one could predict. He didn't have a teammate on the front or anything just himself to handle it. You don't attack 100km out just for fun:)

2) Cadel Evans the day after. I was like: he's doing the same mistake as in 2008 by not chasing but in the end he picked it up and truely deserved to win the Tour there.

3) Cancellara in E3-Harelbeke. Dropping guys like Haussler on flat roads and gaining lots of time until the end. It was a great ride.

4) Nibali in San Remo. The race doesn't suit him a lot but he gave it a pretty good shot, I wish he had won.

5) Mikel Nieve on the Gardeccia stage of the Giro. I know it was from a break and everything else but he was dropped by Garzelli on Giau (?) chased him down in Fedaia and won the stage barely hanging on the bike. He's cut for this big mountain days clearly.

6) Liquigas on the stage to Cordoba (?). Descending like mad mens with Agnoli, Sagan, Nibali and Capechi. Shame on Llastras for screwing the party:)

7) Thor Hushovd's win in Lourdes. He was tactically perfect that day. Attacking on the base of Aubisque to gain a small buffer after getting dropped. Pushed on the descent to catch Roy almost without help and then rode away from the french duo to win just a world champion must.

8) Kyrienka win in Sestriere. I mean he hold a gap of 4min for almost 40km or something? There were attacks from behind and he hold there with that calm face to take a very very big win.

9) Andy Shcleck. I don't think it was as awsome as many people in the forum seem to think but it was a great effort indeed. He got lots of help from Posthuma, Devenyns and specially Monfort but you need to be a top class bike rider to win like that.

10) Tom Boonen on the stage to....somewhere in France:) The one he finished with Engels looking in very bad shape. Oh and in this topic: Chris Horner. Finishing a stage just like a robot not knowing where he was...just crazy!

Wiggins, Stage 9 of the Vuelta. Showed the doubters on this forum that he can properly climb as he puts the hammer down on the final climb. Most were dropped, those who weren't clung on by their fingernails.

Also both Cobo and Froome for stage 17 which IMO was the best GT stage of the season.

Limited myself to five, and wound up with many of the same choices as the OP... But still:

1. Cadel Evans, Stage 20 TDF. Completely agree with OP. When the TDF was there for the winning, Evans went out there and did so in style. Kudos.

2. Juan Jose Cobo, Stage 15 (Angliru) Vuelta. Utter dominance. Won the Vuelta there after considering retirement earlier in the season.

3. Philippe Gilbert, Fleche Wallonne. Noone thought he could do it, win on the Mur. Too long, too steep nearly everyone (myself included) thought. Not only did he win, he destroyed.

4. Mikel Nieve, Stage 15 (Val di Fassa) Giro. What a ride. Was almost painful to watch, but a fantastic win.

5. Johnny Hoogerland, Stage 9 TDF. Hoogerland was becoming one of the treasures of the Tour. Attacking like mad to win or retain the polka dots. It was going to be wonderful Tour to watch. Except a dumbazz driver ruined that, crashing into a ditch. Bloodied and bruised he nevertheless rode out the stage, so he could wear the polka dots he fought for. Class.

Gah, repost

Scarponi in Sanremo - getting back into contention from a rather bad position and making the final selection

De Gendt in the Paris Nice - he was like a machine in the breaks

Voeckler in the hilly stage of the 4 Jours de Dunkerque - like a mini Cancellara, won by almost 2 minutes in 20km

Sagan winning in Grindelwald as mentioned

Edit: come to think of it there are 2 more that I liked

old man Vitorino on the Torre and Weening in the stage to Orvieto

Kiryienka on Sestrières. Nothing else comes close.

Mikel Nieve on Rifugio Gardeccia
Fabian Cancellara in E3-Prijs
Mikel Landa on Lagunas de Neila - in the break, caught, domestiques until his own team leader cracks, then attacks to win solo!
Cadel Evans on Galibier - more so even than Andy. This was where he won the Tour.
Igor Antón in Bilbao
Ricardo Mestre in the Guarda ITT
Peter Sagan hunts down Damiano Cunego in the Tour de Suisse
Chris Froome in the Salamanca ITT

one I'm amazed nobody's mentioned yet:
Thomas Voeckler defends the yellow jersey on Galibier...

Honorable mentions:
Sylvain Chavanel in Ronde van Vlaanderen
Igor Antón on Monte Zoncolán
Juanjó Cobo on Anglirú
Thor Hushovd in Lourdes
Chris Horner on Sierra Road

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Cadel Evans - Galibier 1st time, amazing chase all on his own for 11km's.

Phil Gilbert - Amstel Gold Race. The way he brought back Schleck by himself and then just rode away from the competition ont he cauberg.

Igor Anton - Winning in Bilbao in front of his home crowd solo was an amazing victory.

Cadel Evans - grenoble TT, he destroyed the opposition. He wanted it so badly.

Vasili Kiriyenka - His win on Sestriere after going solo away from the competition on the Finestere not long after his friend died, that was special.

That's it for now folks.

There's a lot to pick from, so my list is more of what I remember than what I think in terms of ranking.

In addition to whats already been mentioned (and repeats):

I was in awe watching Froome on the Pena Cabra. I can't put the image of him grinding and wrestling his machine into words.

E3 was impressive, Cancellara personified power by riding away, continuously.

I didn't get to watch the weekday tour stages, but Thor's win over the Aubisque. Not even wanting to sit in for a sprint, just kept going.

Siusse was awesome all the way around. The only ride that wouldn't make this list is Cunego's TT...

Gilbert on the Huy was pretty sweet. I remember watching with so much tension, remembering the fight from the previous year, but he just rode away from everybody and everything.

Some rides that aren't top 10, but could be mentioned:
Yeah it was Oman, and he climbed against EBH, but Gesink's win for his dad was pretty cool.
Everybody who limped to the finish lines during the Tour de Fracture. Not easy to do, but thats why they're the pros.
Scarponi at MSR is almost on the list, but I can't help but know that he should have been near the front all along anyway. Impressive riding, though, for sure.
Who wasn't impressed by Kloden outsprinting Samu at Paris Nice? haha

I don't know. It was a long season

Sorry guys I dont see how a tt where a guy came 2nd (even though he was the strongest rider of the day and would have won if his team had let him) can be the most impressive ride of the year when we have seen about 4 60k+ attacks in big races.

Yes you guys like Cadel and like the fact that he finaly won on the tt after failing, but in that case pretty much every year the tdf tt is the most impressive ride.

Pantani, Perrero Sastre, surprised, Lance, Contador, Indurain won tts.

Indurain won a tt by 3 minutes, so if coming 2nd in a tt is the most impressive ride of the year in such a special year, then a tt where the Yellow Jersey wins by 3 minutes is surely the most impressive ride in history, nothing else can come close.

Not to say that Cadels tt wasnt impressive, it was, he doubled the time he needed on Schleck, but he did what he was supposed to do in a tt, time himself and push himself.

No risks , no trying to break other riders. When someone attacks in a race, they have to spend twice as much energy for half the gain, and risk losing it all. But in a tt, everyone is on his own, so your not fighting against a peloton trying to bring you back. If you push yourself 10% more than someone else you get 10% less time. In a road race if you push yourself 10% more than someone else you get a few seconds if your lucky.

Thats what makes Cancellaras 1 or 2 cobble performances more impressive than his many tt victories

Also its strange to see people are now surprised when Cadel comes 2nd in a tt. For the last week the forum has been overun by posts claiming Menchov and Contador cant hold a candle to Cadel in a tt.

Now Cadels ride up Galibier was far more impressive and could be a candidate for the win, if Schleck didnt outperform him on that stage.

Though I think his performance in Gap was where he really showed his balls big time.

Also was Cadel doing well in a tt more surprising to yall than Voeckler dropping Contador on Galibier?

auscyclefan94 said:
Vasili Kiriyenka - His win on Sestriere after going solo away from the competition on the Finestere not long after his friend died, that was special.

You got that 100% right.

Contador 100k gave me goosebumps and Schleck Galibier is one of the most impressive attacks in TDF history together with Landis Grand Bornard and Mercx Pau, but Kiriyenka, well hes no Contador hes no Schleck, hes no Cadel or Nibali or Cancellara.

It was no normal breakaway victory. Jose Rujano, the 4th best climber in the world:p, who had won the same stage the last time, putting 2 minutes into the Maglia Rosa went on the attack and went all out.

And yet Kiriyenka who had been in the break ALL DAY, and is no climber of Rujanos caliber, put TIME into Rujano on both the Finnestre and Sestrieres. Szmyd, Rodriguez Rujano, Bettancourt, all these top climbers who had been in the pack all day tried but could not reduce the deficit of a guy from the break.

And he did it for Xavi.

So my list

1 Kiriyenka - Colle delle Finnestre, Sestrieres

2 Schleck- Iozard Galibier

3 Contador, telegraphe, Galibier Alpe.

4 Cancellara- Ronde van Vlaanderen.

5 Mikel Nieve - Giau, Fedaia, Gardeccia

6 Gilbert- Muur du Hoy

7 Evans- Galibier

8 Contador - Giau, Fedaia, Gardeccia.

9 Tommy Voeckler - Galibier.

10 Garzelli - Giau, Marmolada Gardeccia

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
In no particular order, the six most impressive to me:

1. Andy Schleck/Cadel Evans - TDF Izoard/Galibier
2. Mikel Nieve - Giro Stage 15
3. Alberto Contador - Giro Stage 8, TDF Stage 19
4. Philippe Gilbert - Amstel, Fleche
5. Fabian Cancellara - E3, RdV
6. Vasili Kiriyenka - Giro Stage 20

The Hitch said:
Sorry guys I dont see how a tt where a guy came 2nd (even though he was the strongest rider of the day and would have won if his team had let him) can be the most impressive ride of the year when we have seen about 4 60k+ attacks in big races.

Yes you guys like Cadel and like the fact that he finaly won on the tt after failing, but in that case pretty much every year the tdf tt is the most impressive ride.

Pantani, Perrero Sastre, surprised, Lance, Contador, Indurain won tts.

Indurain won a tt by 3 minutes, so if coming 2nd in a tt is the most impressive ride of the year in such a special year, then a tt where the Yellow Jersey wins by 3 minutes is surely the most impressive ride in history, nothing else can come close.

Not to say that Cadels tt wasnt impressive, it was, he doubled the time he needed on Schleck, but he did what he was supposed to do in a tt, time himself and push himself.

No risks , no trying to break other riders. When someone attacks in a race, they have to spend twice as much energy for half the gain, and risk losing it all. But in a tt, everyone is on his own, so your not fighting against a peloton trying to bring you back. If you push yourself 10% more than someone else you get 10% less time. In a road race if you push yourself 10% more than someone else you get a few seconds if your lucky.

Thats what makes Cancellaras 1 or 2 cobble performances more impressive than his many tt victories

Also its strange to see people are now surprised when Cadel comes 2nd in a tt. For the last week the forum has been overun by posts claiming Menchov and Contador cant hold a candle to Cadel in a tt.

Now Cadels ride up Galibier was far more impressive and could be a candidate for the win, if Schleck didnt outperform him on that stage.

Though I think his performance in Gap was where he really showed his balls big time.

Also was Cadel doing well in a tt more surprising to yall than Voeckler dropping Contador on Galibier?

You got that 100% right.

Contador 100k gave me goosebumps and Schleck Galibier is one of the most impressive attacks in TDF history together with Landis Grand Bornard and Mercx Pau, but Kiriyenka, well hes no Contador hes no Schleck, hes no Cadel or Nibali or Cancellara.

It was no normal breakaway victory. Jose Rujano, the 4th best climber in the world:p, who had won the same stage the last time, putting 2 minutes into the Maglia Rosa went on the attack and went all out.

And yet Kiriyenka who had been in the break ALL DAY, and is no climber of Rujanos caliber, put TIME into Rujano on both the Finnestre and Sestrieres. Szmyd, Rodriguez Rujano, Bettancourt, all these top climbers who had been in the pack all day tried but could not reduce the deficit of a guy from the break.

And he did it for Xavi.

So my list

6 Gilbert- Muur du Hoy

7 Evans- Galibier

Pretty good list there - I'd just like to add Matthew Goss upsetting the favorites at Milan-San Remo. That was an impressive effort!

1. Cadel Evans Tour de France's stage 18 (Pinerolo - Col du Galibier). He controlled Andy Schleck's long-range attack practically on his own, and even though he lost 2:15 to Andy, it was that day he won le TdF.

2. Liquigas, Vuelta a España's stage 6 (Úbeda - Córdoba). A brilliant descend by Vincenzo Nibali and 3 other teammates: Agnoli, Sagan and Capecchi. It was like watching a team pursuit race on the roads of La Vuelta. Sagan took the win, Nibali gained a some precious seconds and moved up to third overall.

3. Vasili Kiriyenka, Giro d'Italia's stage 20 (Verbania - Sestriere). As he approached the finish line he raised both hands to the sky in memory of his late teammate Xavier Tondo. An impressive solo win as he finished 4:43 ahead of Rujano.

4. Great Britain Team, Elite Men Road Race's World Championships. Mark Cavendish finished off an incredible demonstration of team work as his teammates maintained control of the race throughout.

5. Phillipe Gilbert, Flèche Vallone. A spectacular win as he launched a vicious attack with 400 m. to go just past the steepest section of the Mur. He made it look easy.

6. Fabian Cancellara, Ronde van Vlaanderen. When Fabian attacked with 41km to go and bridged across to Sylvain Chavanel, opening a one-minute gap, it seemed that no tactics would prevent him from getting another solo victory. He was clearly the strongest rider in the race, but he came out short in 3rd place. Had he waited until later, he could have easily won.

7. Alberto Contador, Giro d'Italia's stage 9 (Messina - Etna). He scored and impressive victory and put almost a minute to his main rivals, and this was the beginning of the end for the rest of the favourites. He went on to win the Giro by more than 6 minutes!

8. Chris Froome, Vuelta a España's stage 17 (Faustino V - Peña Cabarga). He forced Juan José Cobo to defend his red jersey in a stunning mano-a-mano on the tough slopes of Peña Cabarga. Froome countered and surged past Cobo in the closing 75 meters to win the stage.

9. Thor Hushovd, Tour de France's stage 13 (Pau – Lourdes). An epic 30km pursuit of Jérémy Roy (FDJ) and the winning alone after catching him with 3 Km. to go.

10. Robet Gesink, Tour of Oman's stage 5 (Al Jissah ITT). A commanding performance and career breakthrough for Gesink who went on to win his first major ITT and stage-race victory.

More Strides than Rides said:
There's a lot to pick from, so my list is more of what I remember than what I think in terms of ranking.

In addition to whats already been mentioned (and repeats):

I was in awe watching Froome on the Pena Cabra. I can't put the image of him grinding and wrestling his machine into words.

E3 was impressive, Cancellara personified power by riding away, continuously.

I didn't get to watch the weekday tour stages, but Thor's win over the Aubisque. Not even wanting to sit in for a sprint, just kept going.

Siusse was awesome all the way around. The only ride that wouldn't make this list is Cunego's TT...

Gilbert on the Huy was pretty sweet. I remember watching with so much tension, remembering the fight from the previous year, but he just rode away from everybody and everything.

Some rides that aren't top 10, but could be mentioned:
Yeah it was Oman, and he climbed against EBH, but Gesink's win for his dad was pretty cool.
Everybody who limped to the finish lines during the Tour de Fracture. Not easy to do, but thats why they're the pros.
Scarponi at MSR is almost on the list, but I can't help but know that he should have been near the front all along anyway. Impressive riding, though, for sure.
Who wasn't impressed by Kloden outsprinting Samu at Paris Nice? haha

I don't know. It was a long season

Kloden's sprint win was amazing and surprising. If only he beat Armstrong and Weening in sprints. :(

This is "my list"

Milan San-Remo: Michele Scarponi

Amazing bridge from the defeated chase, across a gap of 2-3 minutes, then managing to stay with the leaders on the Poggio and fight for the win in the sprint.

E3 Prijs: Fabian Cancellara

Having O'Grady get you close then closing the rest of the gap yourself, and then stepping it up even more once at the front to drop everyone else. Textbook Cancellara and devastatingly effective.

Ronde: Fabian Cancellara

Pulling Chavanel along for dozens of kms, getting caught, seemingly gone, but managing to chase down the final attacks and get on the podium.

Ronde: Sylvain Chavanel

Being in an earlier attack, and managing to stay with Cancellara, get caught, but come back for 2nd. As deserving as Cancellara and impossible to split them for "performance of they day".

Pais Vasco Stage 3: Alexandre Vinokourov

We have to have a Vino moment don't we? 4 or 5kms to go wasn't it? Even at the finish they weren't pulling time back on this brutal late attack.

Fleche Wallone: Philipe Gilbert

Did something quite a few people didn't expect him to do, given his previous record on these gradients. His acceleration here is probably the best we have seen from him.

Giro d'Italia Stage 9 (Etna): Alberto Contador

Went out and took the race on, was going hard for a full 10km and showed the difference between himself and the rest. Honourable mentions to Rujano for staying with Alberto, and Scarponi for baiting him into an attack (however stupid it was!).

Giro d'Italia Stage 14 (Zoncolan): Igor Anton

Tamed the mountain from a long way out, maybe Contador was holding something back, but none of the others were. Whilst they were struggling to get into rhythm, Anton was off the front and not looking back.

Giro d'Italia Stage 15 (Gardeccia): Mikel Nieve

Both Nieve and Garzelli deserve credit for their time trials against each other on this day. Nieve never considered giving up the chase and eventually it paid off. But that was not the end of the story, given the demons Nieve was facing in the final 1 or 2km, with a rampaging Contador closing rapidly. A great fight for survival in the dieing moments capped off a remarkable performance.

Giro d'Italia Stage 20 (Finestre-Sestriere): Vasil Kiryienka

Was seemingly over for the break at the beginning of Finestre, but one man stayed off the front riding his own race. Kiryienka obviously benefited from the false pace being set in the main group, but there is no doubt that he achieved something very few could have done. Even when the peloton fired up, and Rujano set about chasing, the gap was still maintained.

Tour de Suisse Stage 3 (Grindelwald): Damiano Cunego

It has been too long since we have seen Cunego like this. Much reminiscent of Scarponi's M-SR effort, bridging across to a group which was seemingly beyond reach. Definitely one of the climbs of the year, to be followed by a nail biting battle on the descent.

Tour de France Stage 5 (Cap Frehel): Mark Cavendish

Many of his colleagues were out of contention by the finish on this day, yet Cavendish was still around. He fought for himself over a challenging final few kilos, and managed to pip Gilbert in a desperate sprint for the line. The bunch win of the season.

Tour de France Stage 13 (Lourdes): Thor Hushovd

An intriguing tactical and physical battle on this day. Hushovd had to wait a long time to get in the position to win - but the patience paid off.

Tour de France Stage 17 (Lautaret-Galibier): Andy Schleck

The events of previous days made this man's equation highly improbable, and he did the only thing he could in an attempt to keep his chances alive. A superb long-range solo effort, with a touch of help from Monfort.

Tour de France Stage 18 (Lautaret-Galibier): Cadel Evans

After seemingly being in the box seat for the overall, the Yellow was slipping away from Evans on this day. After some hesitation and arm waving, Evans finally did what was required if he was going to win a GT - take control of the race on the Queen stage. His 20km on the front here was a determined and flat out, yet measured approach, something we least expected. Being able to shed many of his rivals for decent time capped off a super effort.

Tour de France Stage 19 (Alpe d'Huez): Alberto Contador

Attacking after 10km in a GT stage, and being able to see it live - who would have thought. Alberto set this stage and the GC alight in a way few expected. The carnage he caused on Telegraphe-Galibier had the potential to change the race. Then, being caught, he still gave it one last go on the Alpe. Absolutely spent, he could not hold on for the win, but the pace at which he rode a large part of this stage and two epic climbs was superb.

Tour de France Stage 20 (Grenoble ITT): Cadel Evans

Faced with a situation not completely foreign to the himself, Evans had work to do. This showdown was being rated as a relatively even call, but Evans made a mockery of that, producing a time trial at a level no one expected. Even when the yellow was seemingly his, he continued to drive the course with all he had, and very nearly defeated the great Tony Martin.

San Sebastian: Philipe Gilbert

Attacked in the final on seemingly a false flat, instantly distancing a group of 10 passengers. This was not his only effort for the day, having been at the front, attacking and marking attacks on several occasions - this is what makes the final blow so impressive. For me, Phil's performance of the year.

Vuelta a Espana Stage 15 (Angliru): Juan Jose Cobo

Saw his chance, and won a GT here, with a brilliant performance on the climb which was always going to decide the Vuelta. Was well above his opposition on this day, regardless of how suspect they may have been.

Vuelta a Espana Stage 17 (Pena Cabarga): Chris Froome

On this day, Chris Froome put in the attack of the season. This was no unmatchable acceleration, this was just a relentless effort on the front which cracked a man who only days earlier showed himself as the #1 climber in the race. Having Cobo come back though, trying again, and then seemingly clutching the sprint win from the jaws of defeat concluded a great 5km.

Vuelta a Espana Stage 19 (Bilbao): Igor Anton

Having had a difficult time all race, Anton was destined to make one big play to take some consolation from this Vuelta. He could not have picked a better way to do it, attacking his companions on the climb, and then driving it home into Bilbao.

World Championships ITT: Tony Martin

The TT performance of the year, as TT came out and confirmed that he was #1, officially drawing the curtain on Cancellara's sole dominance of the discipline.

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Ferminal said:
This is "my list"

Milan San-Remo: Michele Scarponi

Amazing bridge from the defeated chase, across a gap of 2-3 minutes, then managing to stay with the leaders on the Poggio and fight for the win in the sprint.

E3 Prijs: Fabian Cancellara

Having O'Grady get you close then closing the rest of the gap yourself, and then stepping it up even more once at the front to drop everyone else. Textbook Cancellara and devastatingly effective.

Ronde: Fabian Cancellara

Pulling Chavanel along for dozens of kms, getting caught, seemingly gone, but managing to chase down the final attacks and get on the podium.

Ronde: Sylvain Chavanel

Being in an earlier attack, and managing to stay with Cancellara, get caught, but come back for 2nd. As deserving as Cancellara and impossible to split them for "performance of they day".

Pais Vasco Stage 3: Alexandre Vinokourov

We have to have a Vino moment don't we? 4 or 5kms to go wasn't it? Even at the finish they weren't pulling time back on this brutal late attack.

Fleche Wallone: Philipe Gilbert

Did something quite a few people didn't expect him to do, given his previous record on these gradients. His acceleration here is probably the best we have seen from him.

Giro d'Italia Stage 9 (Etna): Alberto Contador

Went out and took the race on, was going hard for a full 10km and showed the difference between himself and the rest. Honourable mentions to Rujano for staying with Alberto, and Scarponi for baiting him into an attack (however stupid it was!).

Giro d'Italia Stage 14 (Zoncolan): Igor Anton

Tamed the mountain from a long way out, maybe Contador was holding something back, but none of the others were. Whilst they were struggling to get into rhythm, Anton was off the front and not looking back.

Giro d'Italia Stage 15 (Gardeccia): Mikel Nieve

Both Nieve and Garzelli deserve credit for their time trials against each other on this day. Nieve never considered giving up the chase and eventually it paid off. But that was not the end of the story, given the demons Nieve was facing in the final 1 or 2km, with a rampaging Contador closing rapidly. A great fight for survival in the dieing moments capped off a remarkable performance.

Giro d'Italia Stage 20 (Finestre-Sestriere): Vasil Kiryienka

Was seemingly over for the break at the beginning of Finestre, but one man stayed off the front riding his own race. Kiryienka obviously benefited from the false pace being set in the main group, but there is no doubt that he achieved something very few could have done. Even when the peloton fired up, and Rujano set about chasing, the gap was still maintained.

Tour de Suisse Stage 3 (Grindelwald): Damiano Cunego

It has been too long since we have seen Cunego like this. Much reminiscent of Scarponi's M-SR effort, bridging across to a group which was seemingly beyond reach. Definitely one of the climbs of the year, to be followed by a nail biting battle on the descent.

Tour de France Stage 5 (Cap Frehel): Mark Cavendish

Many of his colleagues were out of contention by the finish on this day, yet Cavendish was still around. He fought for himself over a challenging final few kilos, and managed to pip Gilbert in a desperate sprint for the line. The bunch win of the season.

Tour de France Stage 13 (Lourdes): Thor Hushovd

An intriguing tactical and physical battle on this day. Hushovd had to wait a long time to get in the position to win - but the patience paid off.

Tour de France Stage 17 (Lautaret-Galibier): Andy Schleck

The events of previous days made this man's equation highly improbable, and he did the only thing he could in an attempt to keep his chances alive. A superb long-range solo effort, with a touch of help from Monfort.

Tour de France Stage 18 (Lautaret-Galibier): Cadel Evans

After seemingly being in the box seat for the overall, the Yellow was slipping away from Evans on this day. After some hesitation and arm waving, Evans finally did what was required if he was going to win a GT - take control of the race on the Queen stage. His 20km on the front here was a determined and flat out, yet measured approach, something we least expected. Being able to shed many of his rivals for decent time capped off a super effort.

Tour de France Stage 19 (Alpe d'Huez): Alberto Contador

Attacking after 10km in a GT stage, and being able to see it live - who would have thought. Alberto set this stage and the GC alight in a way few expected. The carnage he caused on Telegraphe-Galibier had the potential to change the race. Then, being caught, he still gave it one last go on the Alpe. Absolutely spent, he could not hold on for the win, but the pace at which he rode a large part of this stage and two epic climbs was superb.

Tour de France Stage 20 (Grenoble ITT): Cadel Evans

Faced with a situation not completely foreign to the himself, Evans had work to do. This showdown was being rated as a relatively even call, but Evans made a mockery of that, producing a time trial at a level no one expected. Even when the yellow was seemingly his, he continued to drive the course with all he had, and very nearly defeated the great Tony Martin.

San Sebastian: Philipe Gilbert

Attacked in the final on seemingly a false flat, instantly distancing a group of 10 passengers. This was not his only effort for the day, having been at the front, attacking and marking attacks on several occasions - this is what makes the final blow so impressive. For me, Phil's performance of the year.

Vuelta a Espana Stage 15 (Angliru): Juan Jose Cobo

Saw his chance, and won a GT here, with a brilliant performance on the climb which was always going to decide the Vuelta. Was well above his opposition on this day, regardless of how suspect they may have been.

Vuelta a Espana Stage 17 (Pena Cabarga): Chris Froome

On this day, Chris Froome put in the attack of the season. This was no unmatchable acceleration, this was just a relentless effort on the front which cracked a man who only days earlier showed himself as the #1 climber in the race. Having Cobo come back though, trying again, and then seemingly clutching the sprint win from the jaws of defeat concluded a great 5km.

Vuelta a Espana Stage 19 (Bilbao): Igor Anton

Having had a difficult time all race, Anton was destined to make one big play to take some consolation from this Vuelta. He could not have picked a better way to do it, attacking his companions on the climb, and then driving it home into Bilbao.

World Championships ITT: Tony Martin

The TT performance of the year, as TT came out and confirmed that he was #1, officially drawing the curtain on Cancellara's sole dominance of the discipline.

Loved watching Froome v Cobo shoot out on Pena Cabarga, was on the climb 600m to go, it was one of the most exciting experiences in cycling, was so excited I missed the chance to take pictures.. with the Cantabrian fans pushing Cobo the whole way where I was ;)

Also thinking of Dan Martin's stage win in Poland, attacking the 2nd last climb, getting caught..and single handedly riding everyone off his wheel in the finale, though I know its a v small race, and would not merit listing on anybody's list!

If i was to decide on my favourite it would be Hushovds win in TdF 13, even though I hoped Jérémy Roy would win the stage after all his work. Just an amazing finale!

I'll maybe name 10 later, but for now I was amazed by Mikel Landa's victory on stage 5 of Vuelta a Burgos.

He was in the break of the day. When they got caught he worked as a crazy man for Sanchez. When Sanchez cracked Landa attacked himself and held on to claim his first pro victory. What a way to do that. It was definitely one of the most impressive rides of the year for me.

Hugo Koblet said:
I'll maybe name 10 later, but for now I was amazed by Mikel Landa's victory on stage 5 of Vuelta a Burgos.

He was in the break of the day. When they got caught he worked as a crazy man for Sanchez. When Sanchez cracked Landa attacked himself and held on to claim his first pro victory. What a way to do that. It was definitely one of the most impressive rides of the year for me.

+1.incredible ride,everyone expecting sammy to attack and then shocking thing happens,sammy is dropped and landa flies to the victory sprinting like an angel uphill,cobo couldn't do anything.one of my favs indeed.remebering of ullrich on arcalis that was.on a smaller scale of course

i'll come back with a more detailed answer later.
also i always loved guys from the breakways climbing faster than the group of favourites on the last climb(virenque,rasmussen).so kiry and taramae wins were more than impressive,top rides for me.

and also this:
7ª 7 oct Armenia – Villa Maria 132.3 Rafael Infantino Rafael Infantino
8ª 8 oct Chinchina - Itagui 172.4 Rafael Infantino Rafael Infantino
9ª 9 oct Medellin – Santa Elena 18 (CRI) Rafael Infantino Rafael Infantino

pure crazyness by infantino,after two full-gas days dropping everyone and putting lot of time on henao,then what can happen?going 25 km per hour on santa elena!!!i think that's the ride of the year for me.or harelbeke ohhh can't choose one.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
And he did it for Xavi.

So my list

6 Gilbert- Muur du Hoy

7 Evans- Galibier

Definitely one of the best rides I've ever seen.

I can't choose between these 2 for the number 1 position so it's a tie
1. Vasili to Sestrieres
And Cancellara's effort in E3, it was something I had never ever seen. Coming back from 2 punctures, and 1 mechanical from way back, only to drop everyone on the flat. It was bloody carnage
3. Contador in the Giro, he just blew everyone away, not only did he win a couple he gifted 3-4 mountain stages away. Very very dominant
4. Schlecks victory on Galibier and Evans who actually saved his tour himself, impressed by both of them.
5. Contador's crazy attack in the Alpe d'huez stage
6. Tommy Voeckler's TdF, had he not been so stupid to ride 80 km's solo he'd gotten on the podium
7. Gilbert destroying the competition in the Ardennes, especially Huy, it was an epic week for cycling
8. Scarponi in MSR was very impressive
9. Hushovd's ride to Lourdes, hate to admit it but that was one hell of an effort. He redeemed himself as a true world champ after his pathetic showing in PR. Made me appreciate him again
10. Would have to go for Froome, Cobo, Wiggins and VdB. Didn't expect wiggins to be so strong uphill, expected Froome and Cobo even less, but they were head and shoulders above the rest. Was very very impressed by VdB. Coming back from a punctured lung, broken scapula and ribs to get 8th in the Vuelta, he clearly recovers very fast :eek:

Edit: also Tony Martin for ending the era of Cancellara TT dominance

greatking88 said:
Loved watching Froome v Cobo shoot out on Pena Cabarga, was on the climb 600m to go, it was one of the most exciting experiences in cycling, was so excited I missed the chance to take pictures.. with the Cantabrian fans pushing Cobo the whole way where I was ;)
I was about 200m further up than you, less obvious pushing where I was but it was a great finale. Froome knew this was pretty much his only chance (no way was he outdescending in the Bilbao stage)(although I was suspicious of his sudden ability to sprint to pick up bonuses the day before, but nothing would have surprised me anymore with Froome's Vuelta) and in front of Cobo's fans, in Cobo's backyard, he stuck it to El Bisonte. And though we missed it from our vantage point and caught up with it on TDP later, after being passed at the end he pulled a fast one on Cobo in the final corner to take the win.
Hugo Koblet said:

Agreed. I put that in my top 10, maybe the 'lesser' nature of the race without the high profile and the pressure bearing down that we see in many of the key rides of the year pushes it down many people's lists or they don't remember or didn't see it, but for me this was undoubtedly one of the top 10.

Another hugely underrated performance is Javier Moreno in the sleet on the Alto del Acebo in the Vuelta a Asturias, never giving up and pulling back to the Portuguese escapees and Tino Zaballa only to leave them for dead in the last 1,5km.

King Of The Wolds said:
Lombardia's over, so it's safe to do this now. Single day efforts only. Let's hear them.

1. Cadel Evans, TdF Stage 20, Grenoble ITT
After he ploughed a lonely furrow right the way through the Alps, being run ragged by the combined might of the Schlecks and just about keeping his head above water, to then come back and almost win the ITT against the likes of Martin and Cancellara was astonishing stuff. It was just his time.

2. Andy Schleck, TdF Stage 18, Pinerolo – Col du Galibier
As epic a ride in the big mountains as you could ever wish to witness. Even more impressive, it managed to earn the respect of the Cycling News Forum – well, for 1 day, at least.

3. Fabian Cancellara, Ronde van Vlaanderen
Have we ever seen so much power on a bike before? And then he bonked, big time, recovered, and then somehow managed to get away from the likes of Gilbert and Flecha again. If he’d used his head, before and during the race, as much as he used his legs, he’d have won by 10 minutes.

4. Tony Martin, World Champs ITT, Copenhagen. Beat the undisputed, greatest TTer of all time by over a minute. Nuff said.

5. Alberto Contador, Giro d’Italia Stage 9, Messina to Etna
Ever seen a GT won on the first serious mountain stage? We did this year. Not the hardest working performance or by the biggest margin, but Bertie’s win was done with such dominance and ease, that nobody, including the opposition, thought that he wasn’t going to win the Giro by however much he wanted to win by, after this.

6. British Team, World Champs Elite Mens Road Race, Copenhagen
Yep, all of them. Yeah it was flat, boring, always going to be a sprint, etc., etc. But to control from start to finish and then win a race that they only qualified 3 riders for last year was pretty extraordinary stuff.

7. Jonny Hoogerland, TdF Stage 9, Issoire – Saint-Flour
After getting knocked off your bike by a ton of wayward metal, spiralling through barbed wire and having your legs, literally, ripped to shreds, most of us would go crying to our mum and not got back on a bike again for 2 months. Jonny was picking up the polka dot jersey within 2 hours.

8. Philippe Gilbert, La Fleche Wallonne.
Phil, it’s the Mur de Huy. At least make it look like you’re working for your win a little bit next time please.

9. Mark Cavendish, TdF Stage 5, Carhaix – Cap Frehel
The Sprint of the Year. With no lead out to speak of, the likes of EBH and Hushovd already some way up the road and on a finish he had no right to win on, Cav somehow found a way to do just that.

10. Thor Hushovd, TdF Stage 12, Pau – Lourdes
An irresistible force, Thor imposed his personality, will and sheer presence on the rest. They didn’t stand a chance – he would not be denied.

No just no