• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Top 10 Vuelta; who's clean?

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
no one. we might put marks of suspiciousness as uci did after the tour 2010. :) i'm giving the lowest mark to anton and have big difficulties with evaluating the rest.

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
airstream said:
no one. we might put marks of suspiciousness as uci did after the tour 2010. :) i'm giving the lowest mark to anton and have big difficulties with evaluating the rest.

oh nice bit of nostalgia there, anyone got the list to hand? Would like to see it in light of what we know today

LaFlorecita said:
:D I loved it :D
I understand you're a big fan, but your posts here are the equivalent of one of us going to the professional racing thread and always posting with insinuations etc. Either contribute, or don't bother. (think this is fair).

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
1. Contador - nope
2. Valverde - nope
3. Rodriguez - nope
4. Froome - clean
5. Moreno - nope
6. Gesink - ??
7. Talansky - clean
8. Ten Dam - nope
9. Anton - nope
10. Intxausti - nope

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
workingclasshero said:
oh nice bit of nostalgia there, anyone got the list to hand? Would like to see it in light of what we know today

it is unlikely to work now. i fear today's doping technology beats biopasport without ceremony. :)

7 fingers? well, nothing new. the man ought to play this game until he gets caught again. that's the system

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Vaughters going out hard this his riders are clean. Let's presume they are. Then we have an interesting rider as reference, namely the youngster Talansky (1988). In the top 10, three riders are sticking out quiet dramatically: Contador, Valverde and Purito, the others, from 4th to 10th, are within a range of 6 minutes from each other. So if the youngster Talansky is clean, it is not unreasonable to believe that the other riders, with more years of training, could also be clean. I'm not claiming that they are, just that their performances, with Talansky as reference, aren't otherwordly in any sense. Froome might be an exception since he also did TdF.

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
airstream said:
it is unlikely to work now. i fear today's doping technology beats biopasport without ceremony. :)

i really have no idea what you mean by "it is unlikely to work now". I would like to see what their list looked like back then, it would be a bit of a laugh i reckon, now that a few names have been caught while others haven't

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
workingclasshero said:
i really have no idea what you mean by "it is unlikely to work now". I would like to see what their list looked like back then, it would be a bit of a laugh i reckon, now that a few names have been caught while others haven't

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ucis-suspicious-list-leaked-from-2010-tour-de-france

i meant this list is based on accordance of blood parameters of biopasport which may not work today. so it could turn our comparisons from overly hypothetical into almost absurd ones.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Talansky pretty definite.
Ten Dam pretty probable.
Inxausti Maybe, will have to see in coming years.
Anton Certainly did not use to be, not he is rubbish a bit more likely
Moreno Maybe
Froome Dont know
Purito I hope so, but cant be sure
Piti I think he is
Contador I hope he is, but am not all hat confident
Gesink Pretty sure he is clean

Valverde and Contador, can they ever be consider clean again, after the unerasable advantage they gave themselves over others with their body-altering doping?
If you and your identical twin always train and race together, and the only difference is that the twin takes HGH, steroids, etc, during a period of his career, will you even be equals again after he goes clean? You've aged quicker. Worn from training and riding with a stronger twin you're supposed to be equal to.

Gesink and Ten Dam have long been exposed to the Erik's at Rabobank. If they managed to stay clean throughout, THAT would make a great book. With all the high hopes put on their shoulders, the bad luck, and then those people making their choices for them...that'd be epic. Like Bassons, Lemond.

The real question then is: "is one of these riders a rare epic clean hero in the making?". Just matter of factly being clean, doesn't exist at that level. If it happens, it's HUGE. I bet if any DS were whispered by an insider her trusts word-for-word "Psst, did you know that Rider X is actually totally clean, he FAKES his doping to try and win trust of others, but he's not on the program. He's on some herbal plan, and icks his fruits and meat at the market. Real wacko that on", the DS would be sincerely baffled.

1. Contador - Never has and never will be
2. Valverde - Doping
3. Rodriguez - Doping
4. Froome - Maybe
5. Moreno - Doping
6. Gesink - I'd like to think Clean
7. Talansky - Clean
8. Ten Dam - I'd like to think Clean
9. Anton - Clean
10. Intxausti - Maybe

bigcog said:
1. Contador - haha ...
2. Valverde - come on ...
3. Rodriguez - may be
4. Froome - may be
5. Moreno - pah
6. Gesink - may be
7. Talansky - yep
8. Ten Dam - may be
9. Anton - pah
10. Intxausti - pah
You certainly don't seem to like spaniards.

How Anton gets a "pah" while Froome gets a "may be" is beyond me.