• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Top 5 super-domestique moments 2011

The offseason has just started and many of us are already bored of it, resulting in lots of "top xx" threads, so I figured the domestiques needed one as well. Basically list up the most impressive/significant domestique work done in 2011 (it doesn't count if the domestique won of course).

1. Maxime Monfort, TDF stage 18. Andy Schleck surprisingly attacked from far out and caught the group containing Monfort, who immediatly hit the front to assist his surprisingly brave captain. The strong belgian did not only keep the chasing peloton at distance, in fact he increased their lead up to an astonishing 3 minutes, doing most of the work himself. That day he almost single handedly handed Andy Schleck a TDF victory. If only he could have given Andy Schleck his TT legs as well, that is.

2. Chris Froome, Vuelta a Espana stage 9. At this point Chris Froome was still "just" a domestique. Yet the relatively unknown rider completely destroyed the peloton for his leader Wiggins, leaving guys like Rodriguez and Scarponi in a world of pain far behind. After his long pull in the strong crosswinds he even managed to stay in the group all the way to the top. People started speculating whether the domestique was in fact stronger than his leader which ultimately proved to be correct.

3. Pierre Rolland at Luz-Ardiden. No one expected Voeckler to keep up with the favourites and even fewer expected Europcar to be the strongest team in the race. Pierre Rolland, a talent who had seemingly stagnated in his development, was an essential part of this and up Luz-Ardiden he seemed like an unstoppable force. He made sure that his leader in yellow never had to take any wind, protecting him all the way to the top.

4. Mathew Busche at Tour of California. Most of us had never heard of him (even less known than Froome) but he managed to ride more or less the entire peloton, including Andy Schleck and Hesjedal, off his wheel. Like much of Radioshack we've never seen him do anything like this outside of US, but still an astonishing performance.

5. EBH, stage 5 Criterium du Dauphine. On a very hard HC MTF many expected Wiggins to lose his yellow jersey. However, EBH took responsibility and kept a monstrous pace at the front of the pack for the first 5 kms of the climb, single-handedly reducing the number of riders in the peloton from 150 to around 15. Superb climbers like Evans, Rodriguez, Gesink and Sanchez had more than enough holding the so-called sprinter's wheel. Due to EBH's efforts there were no attacks until he was finished, ultimately culminating in Wiggins winning the race overall.

Honorable mentions to Vanendert, Niemec and Szmyd (who would've topped this list any other year).

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
maltiv said:
5. EBH, stage 5 Criterium du Dauphine. On a very hard HC MTF many expected Wiggins to lose his yellow jersey. However, EBH took responsibility and kept a monstrous pace at the front of the pack for the first 5 kms of the climb, single-handedly reducing the number of riders in the peloton from 150 to around 15. Superb climbers like Evans, Rodriguez, Gesink and Sanchez had more than enough holding the so-called sprinter's wheel. Due to EBH's efforts there were no attacks until he was finished, ultimately culminating in Wiggins winning the race overall.

This is the reason I've became a (huge) fan of EBH, that was insane. I'll post my list in a few mins.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I would like to add Lars Bak and Ultra-Pate.
It felt like they rode the entire TdF at the front for HTC. In the wind, in the rain, in the heat....always.

I also think of a huge Jens Voigt pull somewhere in the TdF ? Or was that last year ?

Also remember that Greipel rode his *** off for Gilbert at M-SR final.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Cobblestoned said:
It felt like they rode the entire TdF at the front for HTC. In the wind, in the rain, in the heat....always.

I also think of a huge Jens Voigt pull somewhere in the TdF ? Or was that last year ?

Also remember that Greipel rode his *** off for Gilbert at M-SR final.

Greipel did massive pulls about 15 times this year did a fantastic job.

I think you mean stage 9 of the Vuelta, to La Covatilla. At Sierra Nevada it was a pretty big group at the finish; at La Covatilla he shredded the field.

Here are some I think are less obvious but deserve mentioning nonetheless:

Mikel Landa, Vuelta a Burgos - in the break of the day, gets caught and sent to the front to domestique for Sánchez, sets a pace for a long time that eventually causes everybody bar Cobo and J-Rod (including his own team leader) to crack, then attacks them for the stage win!

José Herrada for Javier Moreno, Vuelta a Asturias - Herrada more or less single-handedly pulled his leader (and Sérgio Sousa) up to the splintered remains of the leaders on El Acebo, allowing Moreno to outjump Sousa, take the win and distance Zaballa, Broco and Suárez. Then, on the final day, it was opened up from barely halfway through the stage; from that point Herrada was on the front almost continuously; when Zaballa broke the shackles and Moreno had to deal with him mano a mano, Moreno rode back to the two to pace some more. And then the same thing happened again, and then again. Heroic domestique job.

Daniel Moreno, throughout the Vuelta a Burgos and first week of the Vuelta, shredding fields and making Purito's wins easy whilst simultaneously picking up a couple of his own.

Denis Menchov for Juan José Cobo, final week of the Vuelta - if he hadn't made a hash of week 1, we'd be talking about Menchov as a three-time Vuelta winner now, I suspect. He was the strongest man in week 3, riding within himself on Anglirú and pacing everybody up Peña Cabarga and El Vivero.

Andy and Fränk Schleck for Philippe Gilbert, Liège-Bastogne-Liège - the way they broke the field apart and shepherded their leader to the inevitable victory by such a clear margin was absolutely masterful, reminiscent of Mapei in Roubaix in 1996.

Greipel in San Remo was fun enough to watch since I thought he was the leader there; clearly I wasn't aware of what Gilbert would do this season.

I would give a mention to Ramunas Navardauskas. At first I didn't like his inclusion on Garmin's TDF team, I prefered Daniel Martin. But the amount of work he's done alone to defend Hushovd's jersey was just amzing. He did a really good job there and deserved to be in the Tour afterall.

Oh and of course Contador playing the domestique for Tiralongo is always funny too.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Not at that caliber but worthy of remembering were the leadouts Thor gave to Farrar most notably at Tirreno. They would come out of the bends with about three riders, unlike the Reshaw one on the Champs Elysses these were every time or so it seemd onot just once. Sadly also unlike the Renshaw one the sprinter didn't finish even half of them off.

Kvinto said:
Bradley Wiggins at Worlds beats all of them ;)
He could definitely have been on the list, that was just incredible.
Nick C. said:
Not at that caliber but worthy of remembering were the leadouts Thor gave to Farrar most notably at Tirreno. They would come out of the bends with about three riders, unlike the Reshaw one on the Champs Elysses these were every time or so it seemd onot just once. Sadly also unlike the Renshaw one the sprinter didn't finish even half of them off.
I didn't include any leadouts on my list but if I did it would probably be one of the leadouts G has done this year, he has certainly done some amazingly executed and incredibly long-lasting leadouts.

Libertine Seguros said:
Mikel Landa, Vuelta a Burgos - in the break of the day, gets caught and sent to the front to domestique for Sánchez, sets a pace for a long time that eventually causes everybody bar Cobo and J-Rod (including his own team leader) to crack, then attacks them for the stage win!
By winning I think he automatically disqualified himself from this competition... this is not what a superdomestique is supposed to do :p (certainly the "make your team leader crack" part).

My vote for best superdom goes to Björn Leukemans, Philippe Gilbert's most trusted domestique. Always cooperates, never wins.

Libertine Seguros said:
Andy and Fränk Schleck for Philippe Gilbert, Liège-Bastogne-Liège - the way they broke the field apart and shepherded their leader to the inevitable victory by such a clear margin was absolutely masterful, reminiscent of Mapei in Roubaix in 1996.

Stuart O'Grady was also very impressive on the stage to the Plateau de Beille keeping the break in check and setting up Vanandert for the win, even if he did drop Phil on the penultimate big climb ;)

Edit: Good calls Maltiv.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
A probably unpopular pick here:

Thor Hushovd at Paris-Roubaix. A selfless and negative man-marking job and almost certainly against his personal desires. But without it, Garmin don't get their biggest win

#1 EBH at the Dauphine - probably my favorite Teamsky ride period of the last two years

#2 Rolland at the Tour - and from TV's reaction he knew it was a huge ride for him

#3 Froome at the Vuelta (stage 9) - I was out of my chair watching this ride cheering him and Brad on.

Wiggins/Froome at the Worlds were both amazing rides in their own way, and certainly get an honorable mention.

Mambo95 said:

Thor Hushovd at Paris-Roubaix. A selfless and negative man-marking job and almost certainly against his personal desires. But without it, Garmin don't get their biggest win

All well and good if it wasnt for the fact that he put Rasch on the front to chase

Mambo95 said:

I also considered this but in my opinion that was more a case of a domestique winning due to the presence of a selfless captain, than it was a case of actual domestique work. So I don't think it fits in the category. Concerning P-R I'd rather applaud the work of Sep Vanmarcke and, to a lesser degree, Gabriel Rasch, both of whom sacrificed their own chances completely to help their assigned captain (although it was a weird move tactially!).

Cobblestoned said:

And on the rare day they didn't, Bak got into a break... :D
Insane work ethics, I feel honoured to just ride on the same roads he's training on.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
maltiv said:
I also considered this but in my opinion that was more a case of a domestique winning due to the presence of a selfless captain, than it was a case of actual domestique work. So I don't think it fits in the category. Concerning P-R I'd rather applaud the work of Sep Vanmarcke and, to a lesser degree, Gabriel Rasch, both of whom sacrificed their own chances completely to help their assigned captain (although it was a weird move tactially!).

Your opinion was spot on, IMO

I'd personally add the aforementioned Bak/Pate alliance and Wiggins at the Worlds before Thor, but he deserved a mention.

Another one to note is David de la Fuente leaving a Vuelta stage win to Taaramae to help Cobo open up a crucial gap. It didn't look it at the time, but that may have been the difference between 1st and 2nd.

Some CN forum comments from that stage:

Wigans doing it himself. Taaramae has won. Geox gambled and lost. Dumb azzes - Moondance
Geox idiots - Michielveedeebee
DDLF dropping Cobo, DDLF sure wants to shoot himself now (or Cobo). - Havetts

Others saw the big picture, but there's no fun in recalling that.

Cobblestoned said:

Oh yeah. Bak and Danny.
I have probably mentioned this already, but before one of the stages they showed footage of the tactic meeting on the HTC team bus, including a rather funny piece of dialogue:

Brian Holm: We need two volunteers to pull. Bak and Danny!

Getting volunteered the HTC-way!

Fus087 said:
And on the rare day they didn't, Bak got into a break... :D

Yeah... but that was an accident... :p

TRENDING THREADS