• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour 2015 - KOM Thread

I've always like a good fight for the KOM jersey and after yesterday the number of riders looking to salvage something from their Tour with Stage wins and the KOM jersey has increased massively. I'm hoping for a great competition - has the potential to be the best battle in the Tour*!

So who do we think is now targeting the jersey and who are the favourites:

Lets start with the French
- Rolland
- Pinot
- Bardet
- Riblon
- Voeckler

Stage hunters/attackers
- The Yates Brothers
- Wellens
- Majka
- Arredondo
- D. Martin
- Hesjedal
- Telkehaimont
- Kruijswijk

(disapointed) GC Contenders
- Nibali
- Rodriguez
- Talansky
- Contandor - btw has he ever won the KON competition in gt?

GC Contenders
- Froome
- Quintana

I'm sure there are others and I'll try to add a pole once we get (a vague) consensus on some names

* yes, I know the Green Jersey fight should be interesting but I find it hard to get interesting in sprints.

Here are key stages as I see it. Feel free to argue if you think differently:

Stage 11 - 43 Points Available
profile-11.jpg

Stage 12 - 75 Points Available
profile-12.jpg

Stage 17 - 29 Points Available
profile-17.jpg

Stage 18 - 46 Points Available
profile-18.jpg

Stage 19 - 60 Points Available
profile-19.jpg

Stage 20 - 75 Points Available
profile-20.jpg

Type 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
Hors catégorie 25 20 16 14 12 10 8 6 4 2
First Category 10 8 6 4 2 1
Second Category 5 3 2 1
Third Category 2 1
Fourth Category 1

Points awarded are doubled for finishes that are of category two or above

Re:

King Boonen said:
Could you include the points available on each climb under the profiles in the OP?

Feel free to tell me to sod off if it's too much work! :D

I've put them at the end of the 2nd post rather than for each stage as I don't think the break and KOM cotenders will take all the points on all the stages ... and I'm a lazy git* :eek:

* if people feel it would be useful and someone wants to calulate the points available for each stage I'll add it in...

I'll go with Rui Costa.

Pinot looked too weak yesterday. So did Bardet.

Kruijswijk said he's gonna target it. I got no clue if he saves his shape for it or simply has been caught out by his Giro efforts.

Froome or Quintana are likely to win polka dot,if they get enough moutain stage wins. Same way it went in 2013.

Rolland and maybe Pikachu are still realistic options, though.

Re: Re:

BeagRigh said:
King Boonen said:
Could you include the points available on each climb under the profiles in the OP?

Feel free to tell me to sod off if it's too much work! :D

I've put them at the end of the 2nd post rather than for each stage as I don't think the break and KOM cotenders will take all the points on all the stages ... and I'm a lazy git* :eek:

* if people feel it would be useful and someone wants to calulate the points available for each stage I'll add it in...

Stage 11 - 43 points

Stage 12 - 75 points

Stage 17 - 29 points

Stage 18 - 46 points

Stage 19 - 60 points

Stage 20 - 75 points

Froome will take it. He'll win Plateau de Beille and Alpe d'Huez to go with his win yesterday and that will be enough to win the KOM, sadly. The points system is quite unbalanced as winning the HC MTFs gives you 50 points each and even if you went on a raid for the whole stage you can only get 50 points or more on stage 18.

Early break on 12, late on 19 (on the Glandon) and taking the Croix on stage 20 would give 100 points. Add in some points scooped up elsewhere like on 18 (30 for the last two climbs) 20-25 at the end of 17 and possibly holding on to take one of the big finishes (though not required) and there are enough points available for someone to beat Froome, but it's going to be hard...

TRENDING THREADS