Tour de France 2019 stage 4: Reims > Nancy 213,5 km

Tomorrow is another day for the competitors for the green jersey, a flat day from Reims to Nancy:

Profile



Last kilometer



Last time the Tour visited in Nancy was in 2014, where Trentin just about managed to win in front of Sagan:



Other visits that caught my eye were 1978 (a time trial on stage 20, which Bernard Hinault won), 1973 where Joop Zoetemelk won and Fausto Coppi has won two stages in Nancy in 1949 and 1952 both years in which he won il Giro d'Italia and le Tour, here pictured with his rival Gino Bartali...






General classification before tomorrow:


1. Julian ALAPHILIPPE
2. Wout VAN AERT + 20''
3. Steven KRUIJSWIJK + 25''
4. George BENNETT + 25''
5. Michael MATTHEWS + 40''
6. Egan BERNAL + 40''
7. Geraint THOMAS + 45''
8. Enric MAS + 46''
9. Greg VAN AVERMAET + 51''
10. Wilco KELDERMAN + 51''

Polka-dot jersey competition before tomorrow:

1. Tim WELLENS 7
2. Xandro MEURISSE 3
3. Greg VAN AVERMAET 2
4. Julian ALAPHILIPPE 2
5. Nairo QUINTANA 1

Green jersey competition before tomorrow:

1. Peter SAGAN 76
2. Michal MATTHEWS 59
3. Sonny COLBRELLI 54
4. Mike TEUNISSEN 50
5. Greg VAN AVERMAET 40

Weather at the finish line

 
Groenewegen is the only top sprinter that can be eliminated on a climb like this.

Should be a bunch sprint with an almost intact peloton. Viviani is the favorite IMO. He survived some tough stages in Suisse with harder climbs near the finish.
 
Jul 1, 2017
18
0
0
Viviani - Groenewegen - or Sagan? I have all three need to pick a road captain. Currently leaning towards Viviani worried about the Cat 4 dropping Groenewegen. I should probably just make Sagan captain as he is almost guaranteed to be in the top 5 but everyone has him on their team.
 
Re:

mode747 said:
Viviani - Groenewegen - or Sagan? I have all three need to pick a road captain. Currently leaning towards Viviani worried about the Cat 4 dropping Groenewegen. I should probably just make Sagan captain as he is almost guaranteed to be in the top 5 but everyone has him on their team.

I have Viviani and Sagan as well. I'm leaning towards Vivani for road captain tomorrow as well. Although you do have a point about just give it Sagan and figure he'll at least be close. Screwed up today and should have made Sagan my road captain.
 
Sep 1, 2013
539
0
0
I'm not sure about Viviani here. If say Sunweb and Bora go all out I believe he could be gapped on that climb.
 
May 2, 2010
9
0
0
alspacka said:
I'm not sure about Viviani here. If say Sunweb and Bora go all out I believe he could be gapped on that climb.
Well, then you dident watch Tour de Suisse
 
Nice 'little' stage for Groenewegen, this climb shouldn't be a problem with the help from his team (keeping him upfront). See a close battle between him and Ewan, although Ewan doesn't have a great lead-out.
 
A non-injured Groenewegen would not get dropped here. Now he's injured that's a different story.

Also get the feeling people forgot he won Champs Elysees when he completed a Tour, surviving easily in the mt stages.
People's view of him have been skewed because he was injured last year in the mountains..
Now it's the same story because of the fall on day 1.
 
It's a 3 km climb, that's enough to shed some heavy-weights. Teams like Bora and Sunweb would be stupid not to race this 100%. And if the pace is too slow, perhaps some punchers will try their luck, inspired by Alaphilippe.
 
Re:

Jagartrott said:
It's a 3 km climb, that's enough to shed some heavy-weights. Teams like Bora and Sunweb would be stupid not to race this 100%. And if the pace is too slow, perhaps some punchers will try their luck, inspired by Alaphilippe.
Yep, every single pure sprinter was dropped here back in 2014.
 
Re: Re:

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Jagartrott said:
It's a 3 km climb, that's enough to shed some heavy-weights. Teams like Bora and Sunweb would be stupid not to race this 100%. And if the pace is too slow, perhaps some punchers will try their luck, inspired by Alaphilippe.
Yep, every single pure sprinter was dropped here back in 2014.
In 2014 they had another, harder climb after it which was also closer to the finish.
 
Feb 22, 2019
251
20
580
Re: Re:

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Jagartrott said:
It's a 3 km climb, that's enough to shed some heavy-weights. Teams like Bora and Sunweb would be stupid not to race this 100%. And if the pace is too slow, perhaps some punchers will try their luck, inspired by Alaphilippe.
Yep, every single pure sprinter was dropped here back in 2014.
2014 had one climb more though
 
F_Cance said:
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Jagartrott said:
It's a 3 km climb, that's enough to shed some heavy-weights. Teams like Bora and Sunweb would be stupid not to race this 100%. And if the pace is too slow, perhaps some punchers will try their luck, inspired by Alaphilippe.
Yep, every single pure sprinter was dropped here back in 2014.
2014 had one climb more though
Forgot all about that.

The last climb may indeed not be a problem then if it's never much above 5%. Does anyone have a detailed profile of the last hill?
 
Re:

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
F_Cance said:
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Jagartrott said:
It's a 3 km climb, that's enough to shed some heavy-weights. Teams like Bora and Sunweb would be stupid not to race this 100%. And if the pace is too slow, perhaps some punchers will try their luck, inspired by Alaphilippe.
Yep, every single pure sprinter was dropped here back in 2014.
2014 had one climb more though
Forgot all about that.

The last climb may indeed not be a problem then if it's never much above 5%. Does anyone have a detailed profile of the last hill?
Yes, and it's even less difficult than imagined I guess. Every sprinter has the ability to survive those 2,5km 'steeper' section.
https://www.climbbybike.com/profile/Côte_de_maron_profile.jpg
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY