• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2022: Stage 1 (Copenhagen – Copenhagen, 13.2k/ITT)

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
pidcock has to be the most overrated rider in the world. And yes i know he is only 23 and can improve, he make mistakes etc. But people talk like he is a serious contender in races

On the road at the moment, quite possibly. But as a fan of his, I won't be judging him in this discipline until after the next Olympics when he focusses on it a bit more.

I just love his facial expressions, so random

FWmQLJPWQAEH0Bn

Lampaert is a surprise, the conditions benefited him a bit but it was still a great ride. Ganna disappointed a bit he didn't seem comfortable in the bends.
Pogačar with a huge time again, he is definitely ready but so is Vingegård that I never expected to beat Roglić today. As for Van Aert, I am starting to think that he needs some black magic to him the yellow jersey in the Tour.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I wasn’t able to watch today, and I feel confused as if I don’t understand cycling anymore. Lampaert winning (I know he is a good tt’er, but here he was competing against almost all WT heavy weights) and Adam better than Küng?
Küng had some of the worst conditions, but even so, he wasn't beating guys with similar conditions.
Lampaert had slightly better conditions than Van Aert and Ganna, as in that the rain had stopped but the roads were still roughly as wet. There wasn't enough time to have the roads dry up, but it could have improved his vision.
Lampaert is generally an underrated TT'er because he doesn't often go all out, because most TT's are in stage races where he has other duties. But whenever he gets the chance to go for it, he usually shows he's not far behind the select few worldbeaters.

Pogacar
Vingegaard +8”
Roglic +9”
Yates +16”
Thomas +18”
Vlasov +24”
Martínez +37”
Bardet +38”
Quintana +42”
Caruso +48”
Enric Mas +49”

Poor Gaudu doesn't even get a mention (Ben O'Connor is even further back).

All in all it was a cr*p ITT & a very disappointing way to start a 3 week GT. Why? Because the whole fun is extrapolating miniscule (or larger) differences on the opening day prologue & finding a hierarchy of some sorts within the classification. Today, we get nothing. Just a fog with the top GC riders & rouleurs all in the same ballpark but no idea who took more risks or who had worse conditions.

Meh. The start times didn't help either. It was over way too soon.

Reactions: JosefK

TRENDING THREADS