• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France is over

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I'll still watch for the pageantry and mini history lessons from Phil and Paul, but this is going to get boring unless you're enthralled by the poca dot or sprinters' jerseys. Would be nice to have a Tour that isn't decided within the first week.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Oh ye of little faith, Nairito, Schleck, and Contador will light it up for us in the 3rd week. Good luck dawg, you'll need it. :cool:

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
LongTimeeer said:
I'll still watch for the pageantry and mini history lessons from Phil and Paul, but this is going to get boring unless your enthralled by the poca dot or sprinters' jerseys. Would be nice to have a Tour that isn't decided within the first week.

I bet this thread is over before the TdF. :rolleyes:

You managed to use the words "watch," "lesson" and "Phil and Paul" all in the same sentence. :eek:

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
It could actually lead to some really exciting stages as other GC guys go all in on a 'crazy' attack, even multiple guys going at the same time. What has Conti got to lose, he doesn't aim to finish on the podium, he'd rather risk it for the win.

Judging by how downbeat Contador sounds all the time, compared to how upbeat Riis sounds, Kreuziger has got to be the card they play.

Andy afterall went on the attack in 18 two years ago as a set up for Frank.

Contador will be the one to attack early in the Alpes, when they think the sky train is weak, not Kreuziger. It will be left to Froome who will follow Contador each time.

Unbeknownst to Froome however Contador wont be racing to the finish line but just to the end of the climb, therefore going much harder, slowly tiring Froome out (they hope). After that Contador will just drop and go gruppeto. And Roman will have his shot.

PCutter said:
It could actually lead to some really exciting stages as other GC guys go all in on a 'crazy' attack, even multiple guys going at the same time. What has Conti got to lose, he doesn't aim to finish on the podium, he'd rather risk it for the win.

It could also lead to Saxo and Movistar being happy with 2nd or 3rd and the points that they get from this. The fact that the rest of the top 8 is so close means that if they get an attack wrong it will cost them dear in terms of GC which the DS' will be afraid of.

The Hitch said:
Judging by how downbeat Contador sounds all the time, compared to how upbeat Riis sounds, Kreuziger has got to be the card they play.

Andy afterall went on the attack in 18 two years ago as a set up for Frank.

Contador will be the one to attack early in the Alpes, when they think the sky train is weak, not Kreuziger. It will be left to Froome who will follow Contador each time.

Unbeknownst to Froome however Contador wont be racing to the finish line but just to the end of the climb, therefore going much harder, slowly tiring Froome out (they hope). After that Contador will just drop and go gruppeto. And Roman will have his shot.

I don't think that Roman is their number 1, but would sure as hell like that scenario. But again in modern sport many have a bird in the hand is worth the two in the bush logic. They only go berserk when they've got nothing to lose like De Ghent in the Giro.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
DenisMenchov said:
2012 Stelvio stage, 2011 Galibier stage...
i didn't know these stages lead to the overall being won. Near as i can remember these were for podium spots.

cineteq said:
Keep in mind: 2012 Fuente De stage, and 2013 Tirreno-Adriatico.
2'38" and for 50 seconds, noting someone needs 3:25 plus whatever Froome takes on other stages.

While anything can happen the time difference is so great that I can't see it. It would take stage 9 all over again which can only happen on stage 19, and then with better execution, and without the element of surprise. Teams (movistar) had their opportunity and blew it.

Never rule out a crash, but it's over.

karlboss said:
i didn't know these stages lead to the overall being won. Near as i can remember these were for podium spots.

What do you remember about Stelvio stage then??? Thomas de Ghent jumping from 9th to 4th and then taking the 3rd in the TT? First Giro since 1995 without Italians on the podium. Galibier stage, Andy practicly moved to the MJ in that stage.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
DenisMenchov said:
What do you remember about Stelvio stage then??? Thomas de Ghent jumping from 9th to 4th and then taking the 3rd in the TT? First Giro since 1995 without Italians on the podium. Galibier stage, Andy practicly moved to the MJ in that stage.

That's right De Gendt ending up with 3rd, and Andy ending up with 2nd...podium places.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
karlboss said:

2'38" and for 50 seconds, noting someone needs 3:25 plus whatever Froome takes on other stages.

While anything can happen the time difference is so great that I can't see it. It would take stage 9 all over again which can only happen on stage 19, and then with better execution, and without the element of surprise. Teams (movistar) had their opportunity and blew it.

Never rule out a crash
, but it's over.

hesjedal side swiped kennaugh to make him tumble off cliff. Some mafia team might do intentionally the same probably to Froome if they are so tired of the domination :D:D but again, that's like hoping zebra grows beard.

The best hope is that the other top contenders throw caution to the win and got for suicide attacks during the last week. I'm certain that Froome will crack hard if one of the bigger names can get a decent attack in.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
If people cannot figure out how Porte, who never showed such weakness this year, loses 18 minutes following the stage where he drilled everyone except his teammate, there is little hope for them.

Who knows? Off day? Landis had one back in 06 IIRC, then did a solo breakaway the next day!

I personally cannot find any consolation at all in watching the Tour merely for the Polka-dot jersey, nor The White jersey either- Is rubbish to settle for left overs-not to diminish their corresponding merits for those categories- but is foolish to say we're content in shifting our attention to the lesser competitions within the race, since the title that matters the most is already decided.

Do we watch the World Cup to get excited about the 3rd place,The MVP winner or the Golden boot? Do we watch The Olympics to cheer up for 2nd & 3rd places?

Its all all about the big fat price and how is achieved. Since we already know those in advance for this 2013 TDF- I entirely agree with the OP: THE TOUR IS OVER- and worthless watching..............................................................

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Jelantik said:
or maybe next time, no flat ITT. Only mountain and mountain ITT. Otherwise, someone like andy will never win TDF.

You are describing 2011. The blend is good this year. In terms of TT km and type of TT vs MTF. However let's be honest, If Froome turns up and is this prepared noone is getting close. Maybe Quintana if we switch some km from flat TT to MTFs. I'd like to see how Quintana goes head to head against Froome up hill.

TRENDING THREADS