• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Stage 7: Tournus - Station des Rousses 165.5km

May 15, 2009
Visit site
gr215467_600.jpg

gr214543_600.jpg

A trip to the Jura Mountains.

Any predictions for this stage? I expect a stage similar to the one in the 2008 Tour (Super-Besse). A group of 15-20 riders fighting for the stage win. Vinokourov should win this.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
We all know Lance now has to try to make an early move this weekend to nail back some seconds if possible, could it come tomorrow on the final climb or more likely Sunday?

May 15, 2009
Visit site
altark123 said:
We all know Lance now has to try to make an early move this weekend to nail back some seconds if possible, could it come tomorrow on the final climb or more likely Sunday?

Sunday. The tomorrow's final climb isn't selective at all. LA shouldn't have any trouble staying with the front group,but it is hard to imagine him attacking.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
mmmmm I'm going with:

Stage Winners: Kreuziger - Basso, Menchov - Gesink
Darkhorses: Le Mevel, Taaramae, Il principe Cunego

This is an oportunity to start reducing the gap that Liquigas and Rabobank has against Cadel, Andy and El Pistolero at the finish is a 2nd category port but is now or never if you want to close the gap...

altark123 said:

I think RS will chase down any break-a-way and LA will be launched but will not be able to shake AC or AS. These guys should be able to gain some time on Cadel, Vino and others. If anything, AC and AS will drop LA too who then would lose some more time to them.

Here's the final KM:

PROFILKMS.gif

It's not that selective, but I think it will result in Evans moving into yellow (unless Geraint Thomas is a better climber than I realize). I know Fabian can probably get over these mountains, but I don't know why Saxo would want to have to control the peloton on Sunday. Frankly give it to BMC or Sky, neither of which have a strong mountain team, and reap the benefits.

Ryaguas said:
mmmmm I'm going with:

Stage Winners: Kreuziger - Basso, Menchov - Gesink
Darkhorses: Le Mevel, Taaramae, Il principe Cunego

This is an oportunity to start reducing the gap that Liquigas and Rabobank has against Cadel, Andy and El Pistolero at the finish is a 2nd category port but is now or never if you want to close the gap...
I don't think you'll see any of the favourites attack on that final climb. Gesink says the real climbing starts on Sunday, tomorrow's finish is just too easy.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
I think RS will chase down any break-a-way and LA will be launched but will not be able to shake AC or AS. These guys should be able to gain some time on Cadel, Vino and others. If anything, AC and AS will drop LA too who then would lose some more time to them.

I expect a more conservative (certainly not a snoozefest, though) day tomorrow. Sunday stage is much tougher one. No reason for AC and AS to attack on this stage.

Also, I can't imagine Evans or Vinokourov losing any time.

What about the climber sprinters tomorrow? Hushovd, Rojas, Friere, Velitis and Roche? Can they hang on? I am sure Hushovd and Rojas both want green jersey points for a top 10 finish if they can hang on. Can EBH hang around on this type of climb and get green jersey points?

Then we have Cancellera wanting one more day in Yellow and Thomas wanting to take the jersey from Cancellera? Is it possible Geraint can end up in yellow tomorrow?

If the pace is to rough then maybe Cunego, Rogers, Kolobonov, Karpets, Kreuziger, Van Den Broeck and Ferdigo.

Who will be out looking for mountain points tomorrow. Martinez, Pineau and?

I look at tomorrows stage and I don't have a clue what will happen.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
I don't think you'll see any of the favourites attack on that final climb. Gesink says the real climbing starts on Sunday, tomorrow's finish is just too easy.

mmmm well the last port is not that selective but they have to do something to close the gap... little by little... they have to do something unexpected to close the gap... that's why I'm going with Liquigas and Rabobank... But I'm feeling more confident with Il Principe Cunego... He is really far in the GC after crash in Le pavé so he will looking for to win some stages....

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Lance is not a GC contender. He's not even a podium contender. That will be clear after this weekend. He'll be hard-pressed to keep up with Cadel Evans in the next two stages, and I certainly don't expect Evans to dominate. Unless somebody else on the RS team steps up and gives LA a rider to support, it will be almost impossible for him to maintain his morale - last year even though he knew Contador was stronger, he had to fight for the podium and to maintain the integrity of the team. This year will be much harder. Being dissed for the Vuelta is, IMO, a much more serious blow than any Landis allegations.

Prediction: Lance will fade bit by bit, then blow badly one day, and likely won't finish.

P.S. I'm not one of the Lance haters.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Delicato said:
Sure. That kind of terrain suits him (he is a power climber) and his attacking style.

Nah forget it... Vino is not going to waste energies tomorrow... El Pistolero needs him for Sunday, Monday and Tuesday where the attacks are going to be in La carte of the day... also you are playing that Vino is so selfish and he is going to attack AC... give me a break...

Tomorrow's stage have the name of Il Principe at the end :D

May 15, 2009
Visit site
Ryaguas said:
Nah forget it... Vino is not going to waste energies tomorrow... El Pistolero needs him for Sunday, Monday and Tuesday where the attacks are going to be in La carte of the day... also you are playing that Vino is so selfish and he is going to attack AC... give me a break...

Tomorrow's stage have the name of Il Principe at the end :D

So you are suggesting that if Vino attacks tomorrow it means that he is selfish? That won't mean that he "attacks" AC. Having two cards to play is certainly not a bad strategy for Astana. Someone except Vino (i.e. DDLF or Hernandez) will still be with Conta on the final climb so I don't think that AC will be isolated.

Personally, I don't expect anything from Cunego. Clean riders cannot win nowadays:)

Monday is a rest day;)

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Old&slow said:
What about the climber sprinters tomorrow? Hushovd, Rojas, Friere, Velitis and Roche? Can they hang on? I am sure Hushovd and Rojas both want green jersey points for a top 10 finish if they can hang on. Can EBH hang around on this type of climb and get green jersey points?

Then we have Cancellera wanting one more day in Yellow and Thomas wanting to take the jersey from Cancellera? Is it possible Geraint can end up in yellow tomorrow?

If the pace is to rough then maybe Cunego, Rogers, Kolobonov, Karpets, Kreuziger, Van Den Broeck and Ferdigo.

Who will be out looking for mountain points tomorrow. Martinez, Pineau and?

I look at tomorrows stage and I don't have a clue what will happen.

geraint isn't a super climber but he is in good form and should be able to keep with the faves up there.

May 31, 2010
Visit site
rxgqgxnyfz said:
Classical rainmaking.

If Vino goes for it -- he's a jerk and a backstabber.

If Vino doesn't -- he's a loser and a weakling. :cool:

neither of those things, but i can easily see him having a go. remember this is vino!

TRENDING THREADS