• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de Suisse 2024, June 9 - 16

Page 49 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
At emirates he will always have few opportunities in the near future, but he knew that when he choosed emirates to be his new team.

Like we saw in Tour de Suisse, the team choosed Yates to be the main leader, obviously he is also behind Pogacar, and Ayuso will be more protected( also because of Matxin) in the future.

There is also Del Toro and other young guys for the future, who will also made it very hard for Almeida there.

The money certainly played an important role on his decision when he left Quick step, and it's a fair option. He should take care of his life. I wish him the best outside of cycling, he looks to be a humble and honest guy.
With UAE, he has been team leader on three GTs and several major stage-races. Whereas at QS he had to work for Remco even when he was much stronger than him. There is no doubt that the UAE are financially better off, but it has also been a step forward for him from a sporting point of view.

As for the Tour, I think the riders are much more content with their role when they have to help someone like Pogacar, who is very likely to fight for the top spot...

Obviously the race ends at the finish line in Nice, said that if Pogi would to take 2 minutes on Galibier, i don't know what else would people tend to expect. Still, good luck with that. If UAE would really be that far ahead, they would send Yates and Almeida to Dauphiné, rather then doing an exhibition ride at ToS.

But OK, not to take anything away from Yates and Almeida. UAE can still finish top 3 GC at the Tour 2024, as the current narrative goes, it's totally up to them and lets see on how that goes.
Why send Adam and Almeida along with Ayuso to CdD. UAE are trying to win as much as possible.

With UAE, he has been team leader on three GTs and several major stage-races. Whereas at QS he had to work for Remco even when he was much stronger than him. There is no doubt that the UAE are financially better off, but it has also been a step forward for him from a sporting point of view.

As for the Tour, I think the riders are much more content with their role when they have to help someone like Pogacar, who is very likely to fight for the top spot...
He would have chances of being leader in Quick step in 2022 and 2023 looking at the calendar Remco did on those years.

Nevertheless, if he wanted to move teams, he could also moved to another team. I don't blame him for his decision, he did what he thought was best for his life, and maybe it was.

Personally, i wanted to see him at least more 1/2 years at Quick step, because he was improving a lot. Let's not forget he won World Tour races with Quick step in 2021, and didn't won anymore until today with Emirates.

He was the better rider in the last week of the Giro 2021.

Reactions: Sandisfan
You seem to suggest they would win Dauphiné, sending Yates and Almeida, or are you suggesting that Ayuso, without the crash, would win Dauphiné?
I said they’re trying to win as much as possible and in order to do that they are splitting up their leaders.

I think with the form shown and how the CdD went Adam and Almeida would have a good chance of winning and if Roglic crashes and they don’t, they have a good chance of cracking Roglic two days in a row on stages 7 and 8. It’s hard to say Roglic’s true shape counting the crash but how the race turned out, it was there for the taking.

Ayuso was one of the favorites for the race wasn’t he and has performed arguably better than Roglic at stage races this year. It’s not crazy to think he didn’t have a chance to win. UAE have had Ayuso and Almeida on the start list for their respective races for awhile and Adam was supposed to do CdD before his crash.

Reactions: CyclistAbi
@SHAD0W93

No disrespect to the riders involved still isn't that exactly what we have been hearing for in the past two to three seasons, or so? Listing such names pre-race and claiming on how Rogla stands no real chance against them, only for Rogla to finish ahead.

What if the real reason was they just wanted to build some racing form with Ayuso and have send Yates and Almeida to the ToS, for them having a real chance to win? Why wouldn't you othervise try to demolish Rogla with Pogi doms, if the form is really that high.

I don't know, could be either way. Maybe indeed they thought they can win both.

Anyway, enough about that, Galibier will tell.

mkqwjcghSWWWDepweJQjBn-970-80.jpg.webp

Reactions: Wyndbrook
Ayuso was one of the favorites for the race wasn’t he and has performed arguably better than Roglic at stage races this year. It’s not crazy to think he didn’t have a chance to win. UAE have had Ayuso and Almeida on the start list for their respective races for awhile and Adam was supposed to do CdD before his crash.
Ayuso didn't look like a challenger before the stage 5 crash.

As most of the UAE team crashed then, I see no good reason to entertain the hypothetical scenario where that crash still happens and Rogla goes down, but not Almeida or Yates if they had been there.

Ayuso didn't look like a challenger before the stage 5 crash.

As most of the UAE team crashed then, I see no good reason to entertain the hypothetical scenario where that crash still happens and Rogla goes down, but not Almeida or Yates if they had been there.
We will never know as he didn’t get to the mountains, that shape could have been better than his TT. It also depends on how much the crash affected Roglic as he looked good for two stages and then started to fall apart. Ayuso was 20 seconds behind Jorgensen and ahead of Rodriquez.

Who knows if they would have crashed if they were there or not, Adam most likely would have and it’s hard to say for Almeida. If they are all there and no one crashes, Roglic most likely wins from his sprints at the end.

Reactions: Unchained
  • Haha
Reactions: SHAD0W93
@SHAD0W93

No disrespect to the riders involved still isn't that exactly what we have been hearing for in the past two to three seasons, or so? Listing such names pre-race and claiming on how Rogla stands no real chance against them, only for Rogla to finish ahead.

What if the real reason was they just wanted to build some racing form with Ayuso and have send Yates and Almeida to the ToS, for them having a real chance to win? Why wouldn't you othervise try to demolish Rogla with Pogi doms, if the form is really that high.

I don't know, could be either way. Maybe indeed they thought they can win both.

Anyway, enough about that, Galibier will tell.
Not bad speculation but the reality is they were dogged at Suisse by a 22 yo American debutante. Some other guys, too but no united front and thin opposition.
It was a great exercise in team strategy and tactics that could help the Tour without needing Tadej there. It's hard to settle with conclusions from PN, Dauphine as to Roglic's final form. He could've been maxxed or staying within limits. Pogacar was hardly challenged several weeks ago. I'd hope some of those guys that got beaten so badly have room for improvement or the Tour could be over in the first week.

Considering all mentioned cyclists to participate at the Tour 2024 and considering only a few weeks in between the races. We should get a pretty good idea, on how they currently stack against each other.
I take lots of these riders at their word, and majority of what I have seen is strong mental discipline to keep things in perspective about TDF being the peak, the overall objective. Majority of racers comments about making steady upward progress and more improvement before Tour. Some camps more quiet than others.. Visma..

@Valv.Piti

AFAIK somebody actually posted the numbers. But obviously, when the numbers don't add up to back some agenda, better to move to something more ambiguous. Like look, Rogla seemed to struggle on the last stage, Yates and Almeida didn't. Podium sweep confirmed for UAE!

Yeah. Lets see about that.
Did Roglic get dropped on the last stage?

And the only one saying UAE will sweep the podium that isn’t in the clinic or in jest is you.

Did Roglic get dropped on the last stage?

Hard to tell when it comes to Rogla. Could be he simply got dropped, or Rogla might already be preserving a minute for the Tour. And lets not forget he won GC in the end.

And the only one saying UAE will sweep the podium that isn’t in the clinic or in jest is you.

In the end that works for me, agreement. As the sentiment in this thread was on how much better Yates and Almeida did. Now if you don't believe in a podium sweep at the Tour, by UAE, then i assume you agree it wasn't that much better after all. We'll see in around 14 days time. Give or take.

Hard to tell when it comes to Rogla. Could be he simply got dropped, or Rogla might already be preserving a minute for the Tour. And lets not forget he won GC in the end.

In the end that works for me, agreement. As the sentiment in this thread was on how much better Yates and Almeida did. Now if you don't believe in a podium sweep at the Tour, by UAE, then i assume you agree it wasn't that much better after all. We'll see in around 14 days time. Give or take.
Yeah Roglic looked like he really enjoyed preserving that minute for the Tour after the stage.

There’s a difference between a one and three week race. One can look better than the other in a one week race and the other can look better in the three week race. Two looked great over 5 stages while the other looked great on two of them.

If you want a topic in the vein you’re searching for, barring crash/injury I think Adam and Almeida will finish higher than Hindley and Vlasov.