• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour Divide Tracker

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
http://vimeo.com/6559791 http://vimeo.com/7122815

I found this video better insight to the event than the documentary

This ride is on my mind but alas another year goes by and I havet entered.

anyone here think they are truly capable of completing this event? I think it is less about physical fitness and more about mental endurance and personally I might struggle with the latter

it is really a long long bludy way

I also contemplate a bike build and go back and forth between a rigid fargo with drops or a fs squishy mtb

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
That's a lot of riding on fat tires! I like mtb'ing , but I don't think I could pull off that much time in the saddle on a mtb...

Looks like an awesome ride though.

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Boeing said:
Dirt

Would u ride this? What bike would u build for it?

I know a guy who is doing it Denis Chazelle he is riding a Niner hard tail. He covered quite a lot today. I'm trying to figure out the tracker to get the details. His route is south to north. Should be an epic journey. I hope he can find a race of the marathon variety afterword, ya gotta figure he'd do well.

Boeing said:
Dirt

Would u ride this? What bike would u build for it?

It's WAY too big for me. I'm happy at very short distances now. I did double centuries for a number of years long ago and now events about an hour are great. (cross!) I'm tempted by some special events like Downieville's all-mountain though...

Regarding a bike, I'd probably do a Castellano frameset. Either go softail for weight, or his full suspension rig. Why? mostly because it's ultra-simple, tough and doesn't bounce like some simple pivot designs. I'm the odd one who sees value in the simplicity of it. If I had infinite budget, Dean Duke. No carbon!

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
It's WAY too big for me. I'm happy at very short distances now. I did double centuries for a number of years long ago and now events about an hour are great. (cross!) I'm tempted by some special events like Downieville's all-mountain though...

Regarding a bike, I'd probably do a Castellano frameset. Either go softail for weight, or his full suspension rig. Why? mostly because it's ultra-simple, tough and doesn't bounce like some simple pivot designs. I'm the odd one who sees value in the simplicity of it. If I had infinite budget, Dean Duke. No carbon!

you are a bit old school which works for you :)

I am looking for a challenge. this might be too big but the one appeal is that it isn't a cluster Phuck like a Leadville has become or 24 hr etc. It is more a quiet personal challenge.

All the pomp and circumstance with any race or ride these days is just not worth the carnival IMHO. the US bike industry turns everything into a Circus tent and trade show and ends up less about the ride.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
What an awesome accomplishment, the fastest time indicating an ave of approx 12km/h 7m/h (including stops!).

Preparation, training, recon...I have enough difficulty with 100km trail ride!

To me they all are deserving of accolades.

TRENDING THREADS