• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour of California: Stage 2? Squaw Valley - Sacremento, 214 km

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
The 1st/2nd stage of the ATOC - Depends on how you look at it!
EDIT: Start changed to Nevada City, two extra circuits in Sacramento.
New Map/Profile ASAP.

Map
stage_2_map_600.jpg

stage_2_profile_600.jpg

Stage for the sprinters, I'll take Goss.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Suprise treats for the riders in their feedbags at Donner Pass.
Taste like chicken.

And if they make it off the mountains ok, should be a great sprint in Sacramento.
There must be a dozen world Class Sprinters in the field. Maybe more....

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone tell me where to go to find out about tomorrows stage?
I just drove up Donner Pass and it's ice most of the way up - solid ice the last third.
What are the race (dis)organizers saying?
The official web site is a disgrace!

flipteez said:
Can anyone tell me where to go to find out about tomorrows stage?
I just drove up Donner Pass and it's ice most of the way up - solid ice the last third.
What are the race (dis)organizers saying?
The official web site is a disgrace!

A decision won't be made until around 8am tomorrow local time. I think they're pretty overwhelmed with this storm.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
They got what they deserve. Why the hell they always ride Sacramento, Modesto and other siht holes? There is some great weather and riding in other parts of Cali. They should be going North > South one year and South to North next year. Mt Baldy stage will be epic but we have so many similar great climbs in SoCal.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Defintely agree. Tahoe would have been great except for the ice, however I'd love to see it start in Grant's pass one year and wind down the coast through Trinity and Mendocino. Or maybe through the mining country along the Salmon or Scott river. There are some amazing routesthat I doubt will ever be in the toc.

I shall go for Swift. I think Swifty is faster on flats then Goss, Gossy needs a hill. However with that he does not need a perfect lead-out train like Cav, he is like McEwan who can handle a bike well. If any break goes near the end i expect to see Sagan and Voigt.
1. Swifty
2. Matthews
3. Goss
4. Haedo's
5. Oss
6. Thor
7. Break/ some obscure sprinter.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
Start moved to Nevada City. Some people may recall that this the site of Lance's sole victory against a bunch of outgunned Cat 1s and 2s during Comeback 2.0.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
According to Boom:

Maandag komen we in Sacramento aan. Ik heb begrepen een belangrijke plaats voor Rabobank. Daar moeten we Oscar Freire of Michael Matthews goed af kunnen zetten."

"Monday, we'll be arriving in Sacramento, which I have been told, is an important city for Rabobank. We'll have to try and launch Freire or Matthews."

Rabobank's participation in ToC is mainly a public relations affair, both in and outside the race.

Bala Verde said:
According to Boom:

"Monday, we'll be arriving in Sacramento, which I have been told, is an important city for Rabobank. We'll have to try and launch Freire or Matthews."

Rabobank's participation in ToC is mainly a public relations affair, both in and outside the race.
If I were them, I'd go for Matthews. As a pure sprinter he's faster than Freire, and every sprinter in the race can survive on this course.

Although probably they'll make Matthews do the leadout for Saint Freire.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
According to Boom:

The participation of every single pro, in every single race, is entirely a public relations affair. That's why the sponsors pony up the cash.

Astana1 said:
Yes, this phenomenon is clearly confined to the ToC. :rolleyes:
There's definitely a disparity between the strength of the teams in the ToC and the importance the riders on those teams attach to the race. Riders like Andy Schleck and Lars Boom love this race, but not because they always wanted to win a stage in the ToC. Just because if you're going to do a training race, you might as well do it in one of the most beautiful places you could think of.

TRENDING THREADS