• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers and Rumours Thread

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Might they start moving up the ranks and MVP get to ride some WT Races next season?

I don't really know where they are currently ranking in the Pro Teams ladder? But anyway, an increase in budget and some good recruits could allow them to aim top 1 for the WT race calendar.

Weird move from Philipsen. He should have plenty of offers from WT teams.

I agree with the probable Olympics focus from MVDP. Plus the fact he's having an average season (if we compare it to his long time rival), Alpecin might double their chances to have top results with both in the team.
That doesn't fully explain why Philipsen chose Fenix Alpecin but he might simply see an opportunity to be leader on important races in a smaller team.

Erm, he was 3rd last year behind Ewan and Ackermann.

5th this year, behind Bouhanni and Vermeersch. That was one of the results I was thinking of, as I though he'd do better given the relatively weak field
He rode a very attractive race in horrible conditions with a strong attack in the final, and still managed to get 5th while the protected Gaviria couldn't even move up in what was left of the bunch. He was also more than decent in the Limousin, with a proper stage win.

In the development years, the way someone rides is almost as important as the results.

Reactions: postmanhat
He rode a very attractive race in horrible conditions with a strong attack in the final, and still managed to get 5th while the protected Gaviria couldn't even move up in what was left of the bunch. He was also more than decent in the Limousin, with a proper stage win.

In the development years, the way someone rides is almost as important as the results.

Thanks As I said, I was judging his progress purely on results. He seems like the sort of rider I like. I'll start following him more closely now

Reactions: Wvv
To me that sounds like severe budget cuts, and a need to capitalize on riders under contract.

Doubt it. They prolonged several contracts (long term), among those Benoots who won't be cheap after his Paris-Nice. They even invested heavily in their womens programme bringing in Lorena Wiebes, the worlds fastes sprinter atm.

Who knows if there is even truth to the rumour and if so, what the reasons are.

Or maybe the travel industry is hit harder than ever before in history by Covid-19, and Sunweb's budget is shrinking - if indeed the sponsorship is maintained?
The pattern has started long before Covid-19. Once they had Dumoulin but they've never replaced him with another rider capable of winning a GT. Once they had Kittel but now they no longer have a sprinter capable of regular wins on pancake flat stages on TdF level. Barguil left after 2017 despite having a contract for 2018 IIRC. It just seems like it's just beyond them to keep a strong team together for a few consecutive years.

TRENDING THREADS