• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers, Extensions, and Rumours Thread

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
De Marchi to ISN had me scratching my head quite a bit. There must be dozens of younger riders that can perform a similar role in the team on a potentially higher level as well.
I'm fairly sure you're overestimating how easy it is to find young riders more useful than de Marchi. The man just finished 11th in Lombardia this year, 7th in Amstel last year. Most of the younger riders capable of better than this will either want a big contract or opportunities for themselves and it's always good to have some experienced domestiques on a team.

Reactions: Sandisfan and yaco
I'm fairly sure you're overestimating how easy it is to find young riders more useful than de Marchi. The man just finished 11th in Lombardia this year, 7th in Amstel last year. Most of the younger riders capable of better than this will either want a big contract or opportunities for themselves and it's always good to have some experienced domestiques on a team.

De Marchi should be a good signing, nonetheless it's astonishing how they pile older riders up and let younger ones leave. It does not really look like a good mixture.

TBF, he's turning 18 later this year, as opposed to just having turned 17. But, I find next year the most interesting; So... he's on contract with UAE, but won't actually ride for them, and I don't think they even have a feeder-team.

My biggest concern would be teams thinking that if you don't have a WT contract straight out of the juniors, you're simply not good enough. However, even with all the Evenepoels and Simmons, Bernals and Pogacars of the World, there will always be late bloomers.

Like Roglic who did not even race till 21. After he stopped ski jumping and picked up cycling in an attempt to fill the void and it turned out to be a great fit. A few other riders have done things like that. Years ago a few were mountain bike racers until about 20-22 and changed over. But a mountain bike race is short compared to almost anything on a road bike. Evans even won a TDF and I think holds the record for oldest to win one. After switching from mountain bike racing.

That’s a lot of freed up cash right there and Vaughters can’t afford to lose Martinez.

Can't afford to keep him. Covid is killing EF's revenue stream.

What should UAE do on the transfer market to support Pogacar? Rumors been quiet, but I feel they need to improve to back him up in the world tours.

Find him some climbing help somewhere.

Movistar needs to re-sign Verona as I'm fairly sure his contract is up at the end of this season.

Reactions: perico
Dani Martinez and Bernal are pretty close, I saw them hanging out befoee the start of a stage of the Tour of the Alpes when they still rode for Wilier and Androni.
Interesting to see what happens with Sivatkov, his contract is up and the opportunities at Ineos aren't gonna get more, with all the incoming talent. He's one of those guys that I'd throw lots of money at, if I was a team with a really big budget.

Yes, that's what I was thinking, he grew up in France, so being on a French team would kinda fit. Peters, Jungels and Vuillermoz would be a decent team to support him in the mountains.
I seem to remember Daniel Friebe mentioning that Sivakov has already resigned with Ineos but it hasn't been made public yet.

I'm interested to see who will leave Bora at the end of the year. At this point with the amount of Neos they signed there will be some bigger overhaul and some of the usual faces gone. They have 25 riders under contract and Denk has said before that he won't necessarily go to the max rider limit just to fill up his squad. So it's anyones guess how many riders they will have next year. My guess would be that both Majka and Poljanski are definitely leaving. Israel or Movistar could be possibilities for them. McCarthy could also be on his way out. Mitchelton would be the obvious choice, though EF are in need for quality riders too with a lot of good riders already signed. Then there are the three Austrians, Mühlberger, Konrad and Großschartner. I don't see Mühlberger leaving, he is the best of the lot and pretty close to Buchmann. Großschartner is also bringing in results and a pretty good all round domestique in the biggest races. With Konrad I'm not so sure. He certainly isn't improving anymore and is not bringing in the results the team was probably hoping for. He should target more one day races. With him I'd say it's a 50 per cent chance of leaving or staying. Both Drucker and Gatto weren't having the most lucky times at Bora with crashes and injuries. Drucker is a solid and very reliable classics helper who speaks german and can net some results in smaller races while Gatto is oviously there because of Sagan. I think both are likely out with Drucker having slightly better chances of surviving. Which leaves Laas as the last guy without contract. Bora explicably wanted an estonian in their squad and Laas had the best test results and race results. Obviously he had a hard start with adapting to the new very high level but at the same time Bora are viewing him as a long time project. If there is truth to that they will resign him, especially as he won his first race 2 days ago against a solid field. Though it has to be said that with both Meeus and Walls signed they have a lot of sprinting talent which could indicate they leave him out. There is also a pretty good young estonian generation coming up if they want estonians so bad but can't retain him this year.
It will be interesting. With the three Austrians, Drucker and Laas Bora would be at 30 riders. Thinking that Mühlberger and Großschartner are safe, it's anyones guess if the other three will be riding for Bora next year or how many of them will. I'd certainly hope they keep Laas as he was holding out on contract offers in favour of his WT dream at Bora for very long last year, which was very risky.

TRENDING THREADS