• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Travis Tygart for S.I. Sportsperson of the Year

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Some will think this is just about Lance, but it isn't. USADA showed to the sporting world that problems that have been ignored for years can be addressed. They showed that this can be achieved in an ethical, non-corruptible, manner. Recognizing and celebrating this process hopefully encourages similar actions in the future.....as well as lessens the need for them

This idea has been suggested to the new editor of SI. The editor also listens to the letters and emails from the public, and every email is read. You, and your friends, can write them at

letters@si.timeinc.com

thanks

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
That we hold Tygart up as an example of ethics and achievement shows just how far into the muck sports have fallen. The man did a great job in the face of adveristy, but he just did his job. Sad that doing what you are supposed to do has become such a rarity in pro sports that we honour the few that do. There is honour in doing your duty, but I would rather we focused our efforts into exposing and removing the corrupt bums who occupy positions of influence. It was corrupt officials, journalists, politicians, and corporate leaders who chose profit over integrity, silenced the honest, and created this mess.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
That we hold Tygart up as an example of ethics and achievement shows just how far into the muck sports have fallen. The man did a great job in the face of adveristy, but he just did his job. Sad that doing what you are supposed to do has become such a rarity in pro sports that we honour the few that do. There is honour in doing your duty, but I would rather we focused our efforts into exposing and removing the corrupt bums who occupy positions of influence. It was corrupt officials, journalists, politicians, and corporate leaders who chose profit over integrity, silenced the honest, and created this mess.

well said.
indeed striking how much of a rarity fair play has become in the world of prosport.

while tygart clearly deserves all honor, i hope the general public won't forget to honor floyd, who made this all possible and had the balls to blow the whistle, and kimmage, who has been made to suffer, indeed, for doing his job.

sniper said:
well said.
indeed striking how much of a rarity fair play has become in the world of prosport.

while tygart clearly deserves all honor, i hope the general public won't forget to honor floyd, who made this all possible and had the balls to blow the whistle, and kimmage, who has been made to suffer, indeed, for doing his job.
here here!

I wholeheartedly disagree. Without Tygart fearlessly and relentlessly going above and beyond the call of duty, none of this would have been possible.

Yes, there are others who deserve honorable mention who suffered greatly, both financially and psychologically, but Tygart was the man who put in the work in an official capacity, despite what must have been tremendous pressure to call off the dogs.

Email sent. Thanks, Race Radio.

Race Radio said:
Some will think this is just about Lance, but it isn't. USADA showed to the sporting world that problems that have been ignored for years can be addressed. They showed that this can be achieved in an ethical, non-corruptible, manner. Recognizing and celebrating this process hopefully encourages similar actions in the future.....as well as lessens the need for them

This idea has been suggested to the new editor of SI. The editor also listens to the letters and emails from the public, and every email is read. You, and your friends, can write them at

letters@si.timeinc.com

thanks

This is way beyond Lance.

This is about baseball, football, basketball, hockey, Athletics, Tennis and every other major sport where doping is epidemic and little is being done.

This is about the epidemic of cheating, and the lone figure that took on someone of Lance's stature and won. That person is truly deserving of Sportsperson of the year - they are possibly the only person that is trying to keep sport sporting.

This would be a victory for all those who are tired of the inability of US professional sport to rid us of Roger Clemmens, Barry Bonds and their counterparts.

Dave.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Berzin said:
I wholeheartedly disagree. Without Tygart fearlessly and relentlessly going above and beyond the call of duty, none of this would have been possible.

Yes, there are others who deserve honorable mention who suffered greatly, both financially and psychologically, but Tygart was the man who put in the work in an official capacity, despite what must have been tremendous pressure to call off the dogs.

Email sent. Thanks, Race Radio.

disagree with what/whom? i think we agree here.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
travis is a special person. i met him and have an inordinate amount of respect for the man. has he merely performed his duty ? yes, he did. does he deserve recognition ? absolutely ! he deserves a huge 'thank you' from all fan's of clean sports. should an official of a regulatory agency, albeit officially a non-government agency, be elevated to a status of of a sports super-star ?

well, i don't think it would send a message consistent with usada's own mission.
(though, weirdly, i can see how most well-meaning americans can see it differently).

if any one single person made armstrong downfall a reality, it was jeff novitzky !

travis would never have been able to obtain the duplicate affidavits from the riders without the perjury power that jeff had wielded earlier ! never !

that travis had the resolution and the clarity of mind to pursue the right cause against all odds makes him a special person, not a sporting superstar.

i would argue the same if jeff was nominated...

my 2 cents.

thirteen said:
not to worry. it's a common failing in the Clinic... people don't actually read what others have written :rolleyes:

I completely disagree with you.

The problem with this Forum is that nobody reads what anyone else writes.

You are just being an apologistic fanboy if you think otherwise, and I am sick and tired of all of your rationalizations.

Just for once, would you READ WHAT I WROTE. AND START LISTENING TO ME.

YOU ARE MAKING ME SOUND LIKE AN ANGRY BROKEN RECORD. IT IS ALL YOUR FAULT.

:D ;)

Dave.

python said:
travis is a special person. i met him and have an inordinate amount of respect for the man. has he merely performed his duty ? yes, he did. does he deserve recognition ? absolutely ! he deserves a huge 'thank you' from all fan's of clean sports. should an official of a regulatory agency, albeit officially a non-government agency, be elevated to a status of of a sports super-star ?

well, i don't think it would send a message consistent with usada's own mission.
(though, weirdly, i can see how most well-meaning americans can see it differently).

if any one single person made armstrong downfall a reality, it was jeff novitzky !

travis would never have been able to obtain the duplicate affidavits from the riders without the perjury power that jeff had wielded earlier ! never !

that travis had the resolution and the clarity of mind to pursue the right cause against all odds makes him a special person, not a sporting superstar.

my 2 cents.

I'd rather that Jeff be the winner, but if he had actually succeeded.

Dave.

D-Queued said:
I completely disagree with you.

The problem with this Forum is that nobody reads what anyone else writes.

You are just being an apologistic fanboy if you think otherwise, and I am sick and tired of all of your rationalizations.

Just for once, would you READ WHAT I WROTE. AND START LISTENING TO ME.

YOU ARE MAKING ME SOUND LIKE AN ANGRY BROKEN RECORD. IT IS ALL YOUR FAULT.

:D ;)

Dave.
f**k you, Dave!

said with love... and relief that i'll be travelling for the next few weeks so i won't have to be bashing my head against a wall (where's that emoticon?) :p

python said:

my 2 cents.
absolutely true! alas, he was thwarted from his mission for the very last time LA had any political sway.

can we vote for co-recipients?

pedaling squares said:

I disagree somewhat with this. Before Tygart proceeded against LA, there was a common belief that the only weapon anti-doping agencies had in their arsenal was the positive test. Why else would “never tested positive” carry so much weight? Yes, the non-analytical positive existed, but outside the Clinic, not many people took it very seriously. Yes, there were police actions against dopers in Europe, but again, outside of the Clinic, few suggested that WADA/USADA should use the kind of tactics that the police use.

This was—still is--a fairly novel approach, and it took a lot of guts to apply it, IMO, particularly against someone who wielded so much power in cycling, and who had so much public opinion on his side. Just think back to June and July, after the charging letter came out, when there were a lot of observers, not all of them fanboys, who were seriously questioning whether USADA could make a case based largely on witness testimony. For events that mostly occurred not only beyond the SOL, but even before the existence of WADA. Not to mention the jurisdiction issues, which the judge, let us remember, did not say were clearly on USADA’s side. He just said that they could be addressed if USADA were allowed to proceed.

In this respect, while Novitsky also deserves our thanks, he was acting much more within the tradition of his office. He was doing exactly what federal prosecutors have always done. Tygart has been a genuine pioneer, I think. He has done a lot of things that an anti-doping agent has never tried before.

We have become used to any anti-doping work of substance to be carried out by cops and district attorneys. Travis Tygard surprised the whole world, by letting his agency actually perform their job to their best potential. Unheard of, and yet it should be business as usual. It's was like a judge ordering apprehension of Al Capone, and it actually ending with Al Capone in jail for his deeds.
Greatest favor to sports in decades, done by a non-profit agency worker.

Will email this.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
i'd love to see kimmage get the prize as it would focus the attention on the corrupt UCI and bring Phat's resignation a bit closer.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
I am not so sure TT for SI sportsman of the year is actually a good idea. It could add to the argument the LA side has made that this case was brought in order to for USADA or TT to "get attention" and take LA down (not that anyone with half a brain would beleive this). The problem with what we have in America is a lot of people seem to be wondering around with less than half a brain.

I also wonder of perhaps TT may not want this sort of attention? (i.e. it might lead to the perception that it is not just about doing what is right). These are just my feelings at the time and not a set stuborn stance. I think if I were TT, I would not want to be named.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
SI does actually read these letters

Thank you for your comments, which will be shared with the editing staff.

Best wishes,
SI LETTERS

On 11/15/12 12:10 PM, " <XXXXXX@gmail.com> wrote:

>Though I'm not certain what kind of athlete he is, there are few who have
>done more to protect clean athletes--and therefore the integrity of
>sport itself--from drug cheats of all kinds no matter how rich and famous
>they might be.
>
>All sportsman, both current and future, will benefit from the actions
>this man has led as the head of the USADA.
>
XXXXXXXXXXX
>New York, NY
>

Under the SI, I would like to nominate the Tygart to be a unit along with the Watt and the Newton, etc. The Travis would be too informal. There is, I believe, no current SI unit for measuring VAM. So there appears to be a window of opportunity. The added bonus would be Ferrari and his clients would forever be using Tygart's name.

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
wirral said:
Under the SI, I would like to nominate the Tygart to be a unit along with the Watt and the Newton, etc. The Travis would be too informal. There is, I believe, no current SI unit for measuring VAM. So there appears to be a window of opportunity. The added bonus would be Ferrari and his clients would forever be using Tygart's name.

Endorsed by the Management Executive, to be sent to the next Plenary for acceptance :D

TRENDING THREADS