U.S. Politics

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 8, 2011
I don't know whether they allegations are true, false, an exggeration of something that did happen or what but even if they are false it is going to be hard to prove. While I am sure some people will just put aside I think others will not and it will change their choice for the nomination.
I come from South Australia where a former Premier Mike Rann lost his job eventually largely because of allegations of a sexual nature, having an affair with a married women although he was single. I don't know what happened then and I really doubt most voters do either but it certainly had an impact on his popularity. If similar happens to Cain then he is also finished.

Apr 20, 2009
Luke Schmid said:
I don't know whether they allegations are true, false, an exggeration of something that did happen or what but even if they are false it is going to be hard to prove. While I am sure some people will just put aside I think others will not and it will change their choice for the nomination.
I come from South Australia where a former Premier Mike Rann lost his job eventually largely because of allegations of a sexual nature, having an affair with a married women although he was single. I don't know what happened then and I really doubt most voters do either but it certainly had an impact on his popularity. If similar happens to Cain then he is also finished.
i am not so sure. clinton weathered many sexual allegations prior to election and louisiana republican senator david vitter who was caught using prostitutes was reelected in 2010.

May 23, 2010
Romney's #2 contributor will need some cover for this and for those they don't reveal..

""Reuters) - Credit Suisse AG, Switzerland's second-largest bank, has begun notifying certain U.S. clients suspected of offshore tax evasion that it intends to turn over their names to the Internal Revenue Service, with the help of Swiss tax authorities.

Credit Suisse's notification by letter, a copy of which was obtained on Monday by Reuters, says the handover of names and account details will take place following a recent formal request for the information by the IRS.

The move by Credit Suisse to disclose American client names and account information is the latest twist in a showdown between Switzerland and the United States over the battered tradition of Swiss bank secrecy.

U.S. authorities, who suspect tens of thousands of wealthy Americans of evading billions of dollars in taxes through Swiss private banks in recent years, are conducting a widening criminal investigation into scores of Swiss banks, including Credit Suisse.
'""

May 23, 2010
gregod said:
i am not so sure. clinton weathered many sexual allegations prior to election and louisiana republican senator david vitter who was caught using prostitutes was reelected in 2010.
Cain never had a chance anyway.. The enthusiasm over him from the right just takes the focus off Romney for bit longer..

Apr 20, 2009
redtreviso said:
Cain never had a chance anyway.. The enthusiasm over him from the right just takes the focus off Romney for bit longer..
logic and reason would dictate that cain never had a chance, but many republicans seem desperate to have anybody besides romney.

it is times like this that i wish there would be a "none of the above" option on the ballot. in all likelihood, this will be the first presidential election that i will not vote in.

i wonder who the peace and freedom party candidate is?

Oct 8, 2011
gregod said:
I don't know how badly he is going to be hurt by this but in the case of Mike Rann, SA Premier it was like a baloon bursting and his and his governments approval fell through the floor. He did survive an election, but only because he was up against very, very, weak opposition. If Cain was ten points up and a real frontrunner then maybe he could take the hit and comeback but he is only tied at best as far as I can see and was never seen to have the ability to stay up there.

I am starting to think I was wrong before. Cain is on the verge of being cooked. His only option at this point is to come forward and tell all, the way Schwartezenegger did for example. And even then he might be done.

Assuming he somehow gets through the primary, he'll never escape the barrage in the general election from everyone.

gregod said:
logic and reason would dictate that cain never had a chance, but many republicans seem desperate to have anybody besides romney.

it is times like this that i wish there would be a "none of the above" option on the ballot. in all likelihood, this will be the first presidential election that i will not vote in.

i wonder who the peace and freedom party candidate is?
and desparate to have someone who has a better chance vs. Obama by taking some of the ethnic vote away from him.

Alpe d'Huez said:
I am starting to think I was wrong before. Cain is on the verge of being cooked. His only option at this point is to come forward and tell all, the way Schwartezenegger did for example. And even then he might be done.

Assuming he somehow gets through the primary, he'll never escape the barrage in the general election from everyone.
Yeah. All the denials and dancing around only dig a person a deeper hole to get out of. Once a person in that position lies and later comes out with the truth, then he will lose the trust (whatever that may be) of some of the public. There will always be those supporters who stand by him, but others who are trying to figure out if he's the real deal will be turned off.

A

Anonymous

Alpe d'Huez said:

If the allegations hang aroud then he's done.

But (there's always a big but :))

Check this out;

Witness: Cain accuser hugged him during Tea Party meeting a month ago

The Cain Encounter ...

They hugged each other backstage in a full embrace like old friends.

She grabbed his arm and whispered in his left ear.

She kept talking as he bent to listen, and he kept saying “Uh, huh. Uh, huh.”

Huh?

“I don’t know if what she was giving him was a sucker punch, but he didn’t put his arm down while she was talking to him,” said the Sneed source.

◆The “he”... is GOP presidential contender Herman Cain, who has been accused of sexual harassment by several women.

◆The “she”... is Chicagoan Sharon Bialek, who held a news conference Tuesday as the only woman to PUBLICLY accuse Cain of sexual harassment.

◆The Sneed source ... is WIND radio co-host Amy Jacobson, who tells Sneed she witnessed the Cain/Bialek encounter a month ago while backstage at the AM 560 WIND sponsored TeaCon meeting in Schaumburg Sept. 30-Oct. 1 at the Renaissance Hotel and Convention Center.

◆Quoth Jacobson: “I had turned on TV to find out who was Cain’s accuser, and I almost fell over when I saw it was Sharon Bialek accusing Cain of groping her genitals.”

“I was waiting for Herman Cain’s ‘Accuser No. 4’ to surface — and up pops Sharon!”

“I couldn’t believe it. I was shocked.”
http://www.suntimes.com/8592168-417/sneed-witness-says-cain-accuser-hugged-him-during-tea-party-meeting-a-month-ago.html

Combine this with Bialek's collaboration with Gloria Allred and this is starting to look shaky.

I'll say this, if this is a set-up the back-lash with be a very big deal.

Dec 7, 2010
Guvnah

Me..... I am going to vote for the guy who can protect my Second Amendment rights! After all the second amendment is what it is all about right? Govnah Pistol Perry is the way to go in 2012! He will keep all the rest of the Democrats from taking my guns.

Mar 10, 2009
Luke Schmid said:
Allegations of a sexual nature also differ in their nature. Rep. Weiner, Sen. Larry Craig, Rep. Chris Lee, President Clinton, they all were involved in sex scandals, but, on the face of it, nothing criminal happened. IMO the public has no business knowing/judging their bedroom activities. So if they are gay, unfaithful or what not, that shouldn't matter (it does, but I don't think it should)

In this case, the allegations, if true, are that Cain crossed a line; he harassed or assaulted women. If he is running for public office, that's something that should disqualify him (not legally, he can do what he wants, but it becomes a matter of public opinion), because he is a criminal. If criminals can't even vote in this country, I doubt they should be in elected office.

Sep 10, 2009
Scott SoCal said:
BTW, is the fact the accuser is white and has a white attorney (at least I think she's white) pose any problems for you?

I mean, isn't this really just exploited black male stereotype in the extreme?
Back in the Clarence Thomas hearings, didn't seem to make any difference to conservatives that Anita Hill was black. I doubt it would make one iota of difference if Cain's accusers were black and represented by black attorneys, they'd still be attacked.

and btw, this particular woman is white. There are three others.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201111070015

Dec 7, 2010
Bala Verde said:
Allegations of a sexual nature also differ in their nature. Rep. Weiner, Sen. Larry Craig, Rep. Chris Lee, President Clinton, they all were involved in sex scandals, but, on the face of it, nothing criminal happened. IMO the public has no business knowing/judging their bedroom activities. So if they are gay, unfaithful or what not, that shouldn't matter (it does, but I don't think it should)

In this case, the allegations, if true, are that Cain crossed a line; he harassed or assaulted women. If he is running for public office, that's something that should disqualify him (not legally, he can do what he wants, but it becomes a matter of public opinion), because he is a criminal. If criminals can't even vote in this country, I doubt they should be in elected office.

Is he a criminal if those women agreed on a settlement and there was no admission of guilt with charges dropped? In my opinion legally he is not. :confused:

Morally he is a piece of crap but I cannot see how you can call him a criminal without any link to his being found guilty of a crime? :eek:

Dec 7, 2010
VeloCity said:
Back in the Clarence Thomas hearings, didn't seem to make any difference to conservatives that Anita Hill was black. I doubt it would make one iota of difference if Cain's accusers were black and represented by black attorneys, they'd still be attacked.

Clarence Thomas? That is old news man just like Iran Contra.
I cannot recall or remember that stuff.:eek:

Jul 4, 2011
I've posted this article in the General Politics thread, but will this damage Obama's position domestically?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15635476

In response to Sarkozy calling Netanyahu a liar Obama said
"You may be sick of him, but me, I have to deal with him every day," Mr Obama replied.
Reuters has a slightly different translation of Obama's quote
"You're fed up with him, but I have to deal with him even more often than you," Obama replied, according to the French interpreter.

Bala Verde said:

He lived up to his name.

Mar 10, 2009
Glenn_Wilson said:
Is he a criminal if those women agreed on a settlement and there was no admission of guilt with charges dropped? In my opinion legally he is not. :confused:
The accusations from the last woman could hint at sexual assault:

as per 18 U.S.C. § 2246 (3)
(3) the term "sexual contact" means [...]
Glenn_Wilson said:
Morally he is a piece of crap but I cannot see how you can call him a criminal without any link to his being found guilty of a crime? :eek:
I also qualified, read carefully, 'if these allegations are true, he is a criminal'

A

Anonymous

VeloCity said:

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201111070015
The irony of your mediamatters cartoon is the right is called racist for any opposition of BO, policy or otherwise. The right opposes because he is black (is of course the charge).

The left is not racist (institutionally) so Cain can be charged with any black stereotype out there (particularly by a white liberal woman... Allred) and it simply has no racist connotation. It's just politics:rolleyes:

But don't worry, there's no double standard here. Noooooooooo.

Mar 10, 2009
D.C. Court upholds health reform law

2 (Reagan/Clinton appointee)-1 (Bush appointee) decision

The mandate, Silberman wrote, “seems an intrusive exercise of legislative power" and “certainly is an encroachment on individual liberty, but it is no more so than a command that restaurants or hotels are obliged to serve all customers regardless of race, that gravely ill individuals cannot use a substance their doctors described as the only effective palliative for excruciating pain or that a farmer cannot grow enough wheat to support his own family.”

“The right to be free from federal regulation is not absolute, and yields to the imperative that Congress be free to forge national solutions to national problems, no matter how local — or seemingly passive — their individual origins,” Silberman wrote.
The issue is expected to be taken up the Supreme Court this term, as the Justice Department has already appealed its defeat in the 11th Circuit health reform case, which was filed by 26 states. The justices could decide in their private conference Thursday to take the case.

Dec 7, 2010
Bala Verde said:
The accusations from the last woman could hint at sexual assault:

as per 18 U.S.C. § 2246 (3)

I also qualified, read carefully, 'if these allegations are true, he is a criminal'
That is not the way I read your post but that does not matter just to get caught up in a discussion of semantics.

Sure it is sexual assault but if she agreed to move on for a sum of money then the subject will not be heard in a court will it? Since the Godfather is running for President of the United States then he leaves himself open for discovery for such things. That makes him a potential or alleged sexual deviant and also an idiot!

It is interesting how this story was leaked out anyway. It seems like he was pushed into the fire by his own party. The guvnah did it.

Well, if it's deemed criminal, of course he'd be done. What I'm saying is that what usually happens in these situations is that there is more than one accuser, more than what's first apparent, and it doesn't go away. While the GOP would love to say these women are gold diggers, etc. the onus isn't going to be on them nearly as much as it is on Cain to explain what happened. And with him talking around the edges, he's going to to be deeper and deeper and deeper in a hole.

Republicans may not like it, but the public clamors for this sort of thing, and the media feeds it to them. All media. All public. They want to know the gritty details, or hear enough of it out of his mouth, and sooner or later they'll get it. If he and his followers hope to take the path that people won't believe these women if they can find enough dirt on them, I think he'll be sunk. If not in the primaries, then certainly in the general election when all the Dems and independents won't likely be nearly as forgiving as the hardened Republicans.

May 23, 2010
Scott SoCal said:
The left is not racist (institutionally) so Cain can be charged with any black stereotype out there (particularly by a white liberal woman... Allred) and it simply has no racist connotation. It's just politics:rolleyes:

But don't worry, there's no double standard here. Noooooooooo.
Bialek is a TeaParty member..

A

Anonymous

Alpe d'Huez said:
Well, if it's deemed criminal, of course he'd be done. What I'm saying is that what usually happens in these situations is that there is more than one accuser, more than what's first apparent, and it doesn't go away. While the GOP would love to say these women are gold diggers, etc. the onus isn't going to be on them nearly as much as it is on Cain to explain what happened. And with him talking around the edges, he's going to to be deeper and deeper and deeper in a hole.

Republicans may not like it, but the public clamors for this sort of thing, and the media feeds it to them. All media. All public. They want to know the gritty details, or hear enough of it out of his mouth, and sooner or later they'll get it. If he and his followers hope to take the path that people won't believe these women if they can find enough dirt on them, I think he'll be sunk. If not in the primaries, then certainly in the general election when all the Dems and independents won't likely be nearly as forgiving as the hardened Republicans.
I think he'll be sunk. If not in the primaries, then certainly in the general election when all the Dems and independents won't likely be nearly as forgiving as the hardened Republicans.
You are probably right, but the presence of Gloria Allred gives the impression of a con game... the big lie. That's what she does and she's very good at it and everyone on both sides know it.

I'll tell you this, if it's shown to be a set up the dems can kiss the independents goodbye in 2012.

May 23, 2010
Scott SoCal said:
So what?

Allred is more partisan than you are.
I don't care who Bialek or the others hire as lawyers..That "stimulus package" line was rather crude though...I bet you think Cain is cooler than ever now.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

Latest posts