U.S. Politics

Page 151 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
mr. tibbs said:
I heard Pawlenty on the way in to my office tonight. Sad part is that he couldn't even get a laugh out of the chosen. The dude who came on after Pawlenty was even worse, though. I missed the introduction because I stopped off to buy a bottle of whiskey, so I don't know who it was, but I had to put in a CD. Couldn't handle it.

As for your other comment about Rice, I've always liked her. My impression is that she is yet another fine mind hamstrung by a poisonous administration. Glad she rose above the horse**** at the convention.

In other news, I have a first edition, first printing of Atlas Shrugged. Anyone on here wanna buy it? I've currently got it hidden in a 50 Shades of Grey dust jacket on my book shelf, so it's in very good condition. (The dust jacket isn't included :p) Maybe I should post in on Craigslist in Tampa. Cash in on these morons with too much money.

EDIT: Also, RE your signature, did Wiggins really say "beated"?
Wiggins said beaten but someone who.did.a transcript of the conversation wrote beated and i copied that.

The one who.came on after pawlenty was huckabee who is basically the Ned flanders of politics. Didnt learn much about the world at all in his baptist school in Clinton's home town, but due to good manners, yokel slang and playing guitar at rallies became.governor of Arkansas. A bit out of his debth at a convention.

Boeing said:
and headed straight back to the backstage buffet
Huckabee looked quite big for someone who got.rich writing a book about how he lost 80 pounds or some such

gooner said:
I did'nt see it but I heard Chris Christie spoke more about himself than endorsing Romney and has been accused of being selfish by promoting his own future potential presendential ambitions. He also was supposed to of not criticised Obama hugely and I heard him earlier saying to Piers Morgan he actually respects him. Only a few months back he travelled to Israel and the Middle East and you can see he is trying to build up his future foreign policy credentials for a tilt possibly in 2016.

And what's happenned with Ron Paul. I heard he was'nt even allowed to speak and the Republicans wanted to see the text of his speech to see what he has to say. As far as I know he has'nt endorsed Romney yet.
The convention is about promoting the gop ticket and Ron Paul who won't endorse romney (or any candidate from outside his own family) simply can't fit into that.
 
Sep 10, 2009
5,638
0
0
I loved the part where Paul Ryan - a disciple of Ayn Rand - said that society should be judged by the way it treats its weakest and neediest. What an *******.
 
Mar 10, 2009
7,119
0
0
Scott SoCal said:
I just watched a Youtube of Condi's speech.

There is nobody on the left who can hold a candle to her. Nobody.

Too bad she's not on the ticket.

Hopefully she accepts a smokin cabinet post.
An African-American, private/elite college educated (liberal arts/political science; Notre Dame/#19 ranked), government bureaucrat (8 years) whose policies "destroyed" the country, who has never held a position in the real (business) world, who is now an "Ivy league" professor (Stanford), and who also gives good speeches...

Can't wait to see pressers by Goldmember Trump and Joe "i-am-not-a-racist" Arpaio highlighting the unearthing of her falsified long form birth certificate, in addition to calls for the release of her college transcripts, and being accused of having gained admission to colleges because of her skin color.

Props to her though. First one at the convention without a teleprompter!

:D

All joking aside, I do wonder what she would have been capable of if Cheney hadn't been screwing her over (seemingly) ever inch of the way. A whole number of posts ago, I already asked whether or not she would be eligible to be GOP VP given her credentials.

I just read Romney/Ryan is boosting jobcreation in the fact-checking industry. :D I would be curious to see if a multiparty system keeps politicians more honest/truthful a as opposed to a two party system. When someone says something flagrantly untrue, all/most other parties will be all over you, whereas in a two party system only the 'other' party will accuse you of lying. In people's minds, that might translate merely into more of the same, i.e. more partisan attacks.

I can't watch these conventions. They are like a bad midnight food processor and knives commercial, with salesmen trying to sell you a t^rd; not one; not two; no now three for 19.95! And we include a bonus mini-t^rd if you order now!

Does anyone even know what policies Romney has? Besides being evasive about his tax returns; his business record; his MA Gov record; Romneycare; the judges he'd like to appoint, has he already highlighted how he will reduce the deficit/balance the budget, while ensuring the survival of medicaid and medicare, social security and make US' education the bestest in the world, reduce corporate tax rates across the board to 20%, close unspecified loopholes, and perpetuate the Bush tax cuts, while maintaining 4%GDP spending on the military?

I guess we'll never know. Not that the American audience is entitled to that knowledge before making a decision, nor is the press interested in figuring that out. No one reads, no one cares, no one listens, no one questions. Let's talk about the dog he strapped to the roof again. Or have some bobbing heads analyze how often Ryan used the work mother in his Iowa state fair barn appearance and what that means for his appeal [read: polling] to women.
 
Bala Verde said:
A whole number of posts ago, I already asked whether or not she would be eligible to be GOP VP given her credentials.
There was a very bizzare poll from early 2008 which asked New york voters who they would vote for if the election was between a Mccain/ Rice and Obama/Clinton ticket and dead even.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Bala Verde said:
An African-American, private/elite college educated (liberal arts/political science; Notre Dame/#19 ranked), government bureaucrat (8 years) whose policies "destroyed" the country, who has never held a position in the real (business) world, who is now an "Ivy league" professor (Stanford), and who also gives good speeches...

Can't wait to see pressers by Goldmember Trump and Joe "i-am-not-a-racist" Arpaio highlighting the unearthing of her falsified long form birth certificate, in addition to calls for the release of her college transcripts, and being accused of having gained admission to colleges because of her skin color.

Props to her though. First one at the convention without a teleprompter!

:D

All joking aside, I do wonder what she would have been capable of if Cheney hadn't been screwing her over (seemingly) ever inch of the way. A whole number of posts ago, I already asked whether or not she would be eligible to be GOP VP given her credentials.

I just read Romney/Ryan is boosting jobcreation in the fact-checking industry. :D I would be curious to see if a multiparty system keeps politicians more honest/truthful a as opposed to a two party system. When someone says something flagrantly untrue, all/most other parties will be all over you, whereas in a two party system only the 'other' party will accuse you of lying. In people's minds, that might translate merely into more of the same, i.e. more partisan attacks.

I can't watch these conventions. They are like a bad midnight food processor and knives commercial, with salesmen trying to sell you a t^rd; not one; not two; no now three for 19.95! And we include a bonus mini-t^rd if you order now!

Does anyone even know what policies Romney has? Besides being evasive about his tax returns; his business record; his MA Gov record; Romneycare; the judges he'd like to appoint, has he already highlighted how he will reduce the deficit/balance the budget, while ensuring the survival of medicaid and medicare, social security and make US' education the bestest in the world, reduce corporate tax rates across the board to 20%, close unspecified loopholes, and perpetuate the Bush tax cuts, while maintaining 4%GDP spending on the military?

I guess we'll never know. Not that the American audience is entitled to that knowledge before making a decision, nor is the press interested in figuring that out. No one reads, no one cares, no one listens, no one questions. Let's talk about the dog he strapped to the roof again. Or have some bobbing heads analyze how often Ryan used the work mother in his Iowa state fair barn appearance and what that means for his appeal [read: polling] to women.
I can't watch the conventions either for the same reasons. I was, however, very interested in what Condi had to say and I was not disappointed.

I just read Romney/Ryan is boosting jobcreation in the fact-checking industry.
While not quite on the same plane as Obama/Biden, they are catching up quickly.

Dunno about the effects of a multi-party system. Consider Belgium.... no government for two years then they get one and it looks like it has the capacity to be as corrupt as any two-party system.

BTW... careful about critiquing Condi. Joking or not you will be labeled as racist. Oh wait, she's on the right... nevermind.
 
Scott SoCal said:
I can't watch the conventions either for the same reasons. I was, however, very interested in what Condi had to say and I was not disappointed.



While not quite on the same plane as Obama/Biden, they are catching up quickly.

Dunno about the effects of a multi-party system. Consider Belgium.... no government for two years then they get one and it looks like it has the capacity to be as corrupt as any two-party system.

BTW... careful about critiquing Condi. Joking or not you will be labeled as racist. Oh wait, she's on the right... nevermind.
A two party system won't ensure that there will be less partisan bickering, but actually more, both within and beyond the constituent coalitions, though it is more democratic for sure and less monolithic.

Belgium has actually little to do with this, though, and more with the cultural barriers that separate, in antagonistic fashion, the French speaking Wallonia region from the Dutch speaking Flemish one.

At any rate I've heard Condi speak and, of course, she wasn't impressive, not in terms of the delivery, but the message. And that's what it's all about the message. :rolleyes:

The republican convention at Tampa was naturally appalling, a veritable masonic gathering of oil and arms lobbyists who had reserved access to the party leadership and which made clear, in no uncertain terms, that the party would run the country in the exclusive interests of such strong powers. It’s revolting that people vote for these tools, but not in the least surprising.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
rhubroma said:
A two party system won't ensure that there will be less partisan bickering, but actually more, both within and beyond the constituent coalitions, though it is more democratic for sure and less monolithic.

Belgium has actually little to do with this, though, and more with the cultural barriers that separate, in antagonistic fashion, the French speaking Wallonia region from the Dutch speaking Flemish one.

At any rate I've heard Condi speak and, of course, she wasn't impressive, not in terms of the delivery, but the message. And that's what it's all about the message. :rolleyes:

The republican convention at Tampa was naturally appalling, a veritable masonic gathering of oil and arms lobbyists who had reserved access to the party leadership and which made clear, in no uncertain terms, that the party would run the country in the exclusive interests of such strong powers. It’s revolting that people vote for these tools, but not in the least surprising.
Glad to see you have not forgot your talking points. Boring as ever so I thank you for keeping it brief.
 
Sep 10, 2009
5,638
0
0
"Big government" is bad yada yada yada...

Mitt Romney likes to say he won't "apologize" for his success in business. But what he never says is "thank you" – to the American people – for the federal bailout of Bain & Company that made so much of his outsize wealth possible.

According to the candidate's mythology, Romney took leave of his duties at the private equity firm Bain Capital in 1990 and rode in on a white horse to lead a swift restructuring of Bain & Company, preventing the collapse of the consulting firm where his career began. When The Boston Globe reported on the rescue at the time of his Senate run against Ted Kennedy, campaign aides spun Romney as the wizard behind a "long-shot miracle," bragging that he had "saved bank depositors all over the country $30 million when he saved Bain & Company."

In fact, government documents on the bailout obtained by Rolling Stone show that the legend crafted by Romney is basically a lie. The federal records, obtained under the Freedom of Information Act, reveal that Romney's initial rescue attempt at Bain & Company was actually a disaster – leaving the firm so financially strapped that it had "no value as a going concern." Even worse, the federal bailout ultimately engineered by Romney screwed the FDIC – the bank insurance system backed by taxpayers – out of at least $10 million. And in an added insult, Romney rewarded top executives at Bain with hefty bonuses at the very moment that he was demanding his handout from the feds.
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-federal-bailout-that-saved-mitt-romney-20120829

Yeah, let's put this guy in charge.
 
Mar 10, 2009
7,119
0
0
VeloCity said:
"Big government" is bad yada yada yada...



http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-federal-bailout-that-saved-mitt-romney-20120829

Yeah, let's put this guy in charge.
Lol. The guy knows how to spend gubmint money.

He persuaded the founders to return $25 million of the cash they had raided from Bain & Company and forgive $75 million in debt, in return for protection from most future liabilities. Romney then consolidated Bain's massive debts into a single, binding loan agreement with four banks, which received liens on Bain's assets and agreed to delay repayments on the firm's debts for two years. The federal government also signed off on the deal, since the FDIC had recently taken control of a bank that was owed $30.6 million by Bain. Romney assured creditors that the restructuring would enable Bain to "operate normally, compensate its professionals competitively" and, ultimately, pay off its debts.
[...]
"The company can deplete its cash balances by making officer-bonus payments," the FDIC lamented, "and still be in compliance with the loan documents."
[...]
If the banks and the FDIC didn't give in to his demands and forgive much of Bain's debts, Romney would raid the firm's coffers, pushing it into the very bankruptcy that the loan agreement had been intended to avert. The losers in this game would not only be Bain's creditors – including the federal government – but the firm's nearly 1,000 employees worldwide
[...]
All told, the FDIC estimated it would recoup just $14 million of the $30 million that Romney's firm owed the government.
Didn't McCain call the Salt Lake Olympics, a "rip-off of the American taxpayer” and “a disgrace” based on:

a U.S. Government Accounting Office report in November 2001 shows that it was much more than post-9/11 security funding that was sent Salt Lake City’s way. In all, the GAO found the federal government planned to cover about $342 million of the total direct cost of the games.
Under Romney’s leadership, the Salt Lake City Olympic Committee hired five lobbying firms, according to Senate lobbying records. Together with its in-house lobbying shop, the Salt Lake committee spent more than $3.5 million and, according to AP, sought federal dollars “to support a tree planting program, anti-doping educational programs, cultural outreach, communications and Weather Service funding, among other areas.”
The GAO did not perform a post-Olympic analysis of the total cost to taxpayers, but Romney once put the sum at $400 million, and once boasted that he “got record funds from the federal government.”

http://www.factcheck.org/2012/02/slaloming-through-olympic-facts/
He sure built that.
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,325
0
0
So there is one actor that supports the Republicans? btw, You've gotta love how each one of the speakers gives a standing ovation every minute. :D My American friend and I nearly fell off our chairs when we heard Romney talking about stopping jobs going to China and helping out the poor.

In all seriousness, how long have you guys had ads on your tv's for the election?
 
Sep 10, 2009
5,638
0
0
auscyclefan94 said:
So there is one actor that supports the Republicans?
Right now the Republicans are wishing they'd never heard of Clint Eastwood. That was...beyond bizarre.

Although as Jamelle Bouie put it, "This is a perfect representation of the campaign: an old white man arguing with an imaginary Barack Obama." Yep, pretty much :)

And holy ****, what a ****ing liar Paul Ryan is. Just might be the epitome of the snake-oil salesman.
 
Apr 18, 2010
221
0
0
auscyclefan94 said:
So there is one actor that supports the Republicans? btw, You've gotta love how each one of the speakers gives a standing ovation every minute. :D My American friend and I nearly fell off our chairs when we heard Romney talking about stopping jobs going to China and helping out the poor.

In all seriousness, how long have you guys had ads on your tv's for the election?
acf - actually, there are TWO actors (publicly) supporting the republicans - jon voight is the "other."

there is one - and only one - answer to "how long have you guys had ads on your tv's for the election?"

HOWEVER: prior to revealing that answer, you must (a) rephrase your insensitive, sexist, androcentric question OR (b) report *immediately* to the nearest english usage sensitivity retraining center. i mean, any post-neandertal english speaking person should know the term "you guys" is horribly offensive to all modern english speaking persons here in the united overly sensitive states of america.

while i know aussie english is not the same as american english, i cannot NOT advise that where speaking english designed for/evolved to enlightened non-offensiveness is concerned, you aussies "have a lot to learn!! :rolleyes:

that bit of english language pomposity aside:

the answer to "how long have you guys had ads on your tv's for the election is: too long....and the mud slinging has barely begun!

note: the campaign cycle for the 2016 u.s. presidential election begins about one week after election day 2012.
 
The whole idea of any movie star getting so much power makes me sick. What exactly has clint eastwood do to get a convention speech?

Last year when Cameron came over, obama invited that british actor from homeland to have dinner with him and cameron. Repulsive. Work your *** of your whole life, get a vote. Live de vida loca and show your face in some, movie, well then you get a personal audience with the 2 most powerful people on earth.
 
etymology said:
note: the campaign cycle for the 2016 u.s. presidential election begins about one week after election day 2012.
A day after? A year after the 2004 election, the official position of the next president of the US was that under absolutely no circumstances would he even seek the presidency in that cycle.
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,325
0
0
etymology said:
acf - actually, there are TWO actors (publicly) supporting the republicans - jon voight is the "other."

there is one - and only one - answer to "how long have you guys had ads on your tv's for the election?"

HOWEVER: prior to revealing that answer, you must (a) rephrase your insensitive, sexist, androcentric question OR (b) report *immediately* to the nearest english usage sensitivity retraining center. i mean, any post-neandertal english speaking person should know the term "you guys" is horribly offensive to all modern english speaking persons here in the united overly sensitive states of america.

while i know aussie english is not the same as american english, i cannot NOT advise that where speaking english designed for/evolved to enlightened non-offensiveness is concerned, you aussies "have a lot to learn!! :rolleyes:

that bit of english language pomposity aside:

the answer to "how long have you guys had ads on your tv's for the election is: too long....and the mud slinging has barely begun!

note: the campaign cycle for the 2016 u.s. presidential election begins about one week after election day 2012.
Nope - your problem, not mine.
 
Aug 25, 2012
61
0
0
democrats: *******s obsessed with controllng the population
republican neo-cons: ******bags obsessed with money


Im not sure which is worse.


obama/romney= two sides of the same turd.

paul ryan is touted as a libertarian but he is the anti-thesis of one.

the USA is screwed.
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,325
0
0
shakeshakeshake said:
democrats: *******s obsessed with controllng the population
republican neo-cons: ******bags obsessed with money


Im not sure which is worse.


obama/romney= two sides of the same turd.

paul ryan is touted as a libertarian but he is the anti-thesis of one.

the USA is screwed.
Is that the trilateral commission turd?
 
Mar 18, 2009
13,318
0
0
Ryan claims he ran a 2:50ish marathon. Running World has only been able to track down a 4:01.

Congenital liar. It sounds suspiciously like Clinton lying about his golf game.
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,325
0
0
BroDeal said:
Ryan claims he ran a 2:50ish marathon. Running World has only been able to track down a 4:01.

Congenital liar. It sounds suspiciously like Clinton lying about his golf game.
Well it doesn't mean he is lying but it could be another Kim Jong Il 38 under par claim! :D
 
In these times of total ideological confusion, one must admit that Mitt Romney recently has provided a rather crude, if effective, definition of right and left: “While Obama thinks of the planet, I’m concerned about the American families.” What unfolds is the idea of a left that’s all talk and a right that’s stingy and narrow-minded: more or less, what they are. “Obama thinks about the planet” is a well-conceived perfidy. For the Romney electorate the planet is only a remote nuisance, composed of all of those countries with strange names that every so often we have to bomb. Yet also the liberal and left public opinion (of the entire planet) would so much like that its leaders were a bit more concrete, even at the cost of being less nobly inspired in their discourses.

As far as the right is concerned, that is regarding those “American families” anxious to liberate themselves from the trouble (and nuisance) of existence, beyond the fences of their own front yards, or even an entire planet: they have certainly found in Romney a reassuring defender. Their problem, however, is that their rather vague cognizance of the rest of humanity makes them, notwithstanding they are the world’s first economic, military, political and mass media power, a pack of pathetic provincials. Often, as if this weren’t enough, they also suffer from a painful inferiority complex before those who permit themselves the luxury of “thinking about the planet.”
 
rhubroma said:
In these times of total ideological confusion, one must admit that Mitt Romney recently has provided a rather crude, if effective, definition of right and left: “While Obama thinks of the planet, I’m concerned about the American families.” What unfolds is the idea of a left that’s all talk and a right that’s stingy and narrow-minded: more or less, what they are. “Obama thinks about the planet” is a well-conceived perfidy. For the Romney electorate the planet is only a remote nuisance, composed of all of those countries with strange names that every so often we have to bomb. Yet also the liberal and left public opinion (of the entire planet) would so much like that its leaders were a bit more concrete, even at the cost of being less nobly inspired in their discourses.

As far as the right is concerned, that is regarding those “American families” anxious to liberate themselves from the trouble (and nuisance) of existence, beyond the fences of their own front yards, or even an entire planet: they have certainly found in Romney a reassuring defender. Their problem, however, is that their rather vague cognizance of the rest of humanity makes them, notwithstanding they are the world’s first economic, military, political and mass media power, a pack of pathetic provincials. Often, as if this weren’t enough, they also suffer from a painful inferiority complex before those who permit themselves the luxury of “thinking about the planet.”
I think the degree of coarseness has become so advanced that inferiority no longer enters into it.
 
Apr 18, 2010
221
0
0
The Hitch said:
A day after? A year after the 2004 election, the official position of the next president of the US was that under absolutely no circumstances would he even seek the presidency in that cycle.
yes - the day after the election. the campaign - or initial shaking out of potential candidates for the 2016 presidential election - has already begun for the democrat party. it has everything to do with the president - regardless of the president's party - being limited to two terms.


to date, the two democrats most mentioned as potential candidates for 2016 are hillary clinton (presently secretary of state) and andrew cuomo (current governor of new york state) to date, hilllary has denied having any presidential aspirations. governor cuomo says "he is too busy taking care of the business of the people of the state of new york" to consider any run for the presidency.

time - and only tiime - will reveal if either of the aforementioned means what they have said...which ain't so too very different from (too) many politicians!
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MarieDGarzai Non-Cycling Discussions 1
Similar threads
The Politics of Sport

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS