• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

U.S. Politics

Page 170 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
gooner said:
The reason why people are'nt happy is that Romney got it easy during that debate. Look at the tweet that I posted a few pages back from Michael Moore. Obama did'nt mention any of those during the debate which beggars belief. Crikey even Santorum mentioned many of these points and took it to Romney in many of the debates for the nomination. Now people in the media like on CNN the other night from the likes of David Gergen and Gloria Borgen, are saying that Romney all of a sudden is the coming of our saviour. BTW before you say anything I know Obama's performance was woeful and he deserves massive criticism. I would go even as far to say it was'nt far off Bush's own terrible one in the first of his debates with Kerry and that is saying something.
I don't believe it was just that. Obviously you know more about US Politics than I do but Romney looked a lot more sharper than Obama did. Romney was very clear with his answers and Obama is clearly not the same speaker that he is with the teleprompter.

auscyclefan94 said:
US Political commentators have said in Australia that these debates usually don't have a great effect on who people are voting for. Fair call?
Seems fair, but yesterday's polls following the debate showed a big swing in support by fence-riders.

auscyclefan94 said:
Listen to the garbage Al Gore is spewing out...

High Altitude was Obama's problem. :D
... or high something.;)

Dec 7, 2010
gooner said:
Some good news for Obama. The jobless rate has fallen to 7.8%.

http://money.msn.com/business-news/article.aspx?feed=AP&date=20121005&id=15640586
That is great news! :confused:

Since you want to play US politics for 200 then "When was the last time a current US president was re-elected with a worse than 7.2% unemployment percentage?

BalaV says use google so be my guest.

The first time you see me chiming in about Australian politics will be .....NEVER. Why? Because I do not give a flying rats a$$.

Dec 7, 2010
Amsterhammer said:
I wonder what Mitt's conservative supporters made of his new persona the other night?:rolleyes:

well that is clever. Nice work.

NOW Obama can go as BatGirl. cause ya know he is such a ?????

Mar 10, 2009
Alpe d'Huez said:
Obama already played this game.

Unfortunately, when it comes to helping the masses, Mitt isn't Batman either.

Mitt, the dark right rises, keeping his money in the shadows in a cayman cave.

Or is he more of a Harvey Twoface Dent; his positions are based on the outcome of a coin toss.;)

Jun 18, 2009
Bala Verde said:
Good to see that argument completely flew over your head.
I think a lot of people on the right side of the political spectrum equate liberal bias with being informed of the facts. I suppose that makes sense, given that there is a pretty strong correlation between the way states vote and the average IQ of that state (at least in 2004).

Jun 16, 2009
to those posters who think there is no liberal bias in US Education
headline "Teacher ridicules student for Romney T shirt"
"The 16-year old sophomore, who attends Charles Carroll High School, told CNBC's Larry Kudlow, that she was humiliated by a teacher for wearing a T-shirt in support of Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan.

She said the teacher compared her to the worst racists in history -- the Ku Klux Klan."
yeah democrats are such caring rational people and there is no bias in education...
We really need to quit subsidizing those Evil Large corporations who take in billions and pay out million dollar salaries, unless of course we are talking about the Corporation of Public Broadcasting and the salaries they pay to liberals. Then suddenly the GOP is killing Big Bird(Sesame Street merchandising is well over 200 million and counting btw)

and back to education, California passed a law that contributions in history by Lesbian Bi Gay & Transgenders must be taught in K-12. Yeah that is a good use of public funds. First how to we go back in history an determine who was transgender or just liked to wear clothes of the opposite sex(cross dressing is not the same thing as trangender, most cross dressers consider themselves straight)? One of the most "well known" homosexuals was Oscar Wilde, however there is alot of disagreement that he was in fact Bisexual.
When historians are not equipped to identify the sexual preferences of people how are teachers mandated to teach it? It's called over compensation people. Someone is biased/prejuidiced and in order to try to hide that bias they overcompensate by passing ridiculous rules.
Liberals I have encountered are some of the most prejudicial people. I belong to 3 unions, i was physically assaulted at a union meeting when i was asked which historical figure i would most like to have lunch with. All I got out of my mouth was "Ronald Reagan" before i was hit repeatedly and the meeting had to be ended early. The funny thing is i was a democrat at the time and i wanted to ask Reagan why he went from a democratic Union president to Republican President of the US, wasn't he a turncoat? The quick bashing i received made me take a hard look at my fellow union members, it was obvious that we jumped to conclusions without the facts and answered calm debate with violence. The very things we accuse the other side of doing.
I quickly changed parties.
Looking at the attacks and name calling in this thread i am satisfied that i did in fact make the correct decision. I apologize to those liberals who make their points in a respectful manner, unfortunately i have found you to be in the minority.
Have Good day everyone.:D

Jul 4, 2009
runninboy said:
"The 16-year old sophomore, who attends Charles Carroll High School, told CNBC's Larry Kudlow, that she was humiliated by a teacher for wearing a T-shirt in support of Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan.

She said the teacher compared her to the worst racists in history -- the Ku Klux Klan."
yeah democrats are such caring rational people and there is no bias in education...
We really need to quit subsidizing those Evil Large corporations who take in billions and pay out million dollar salaries, unless of course we are talking about the Corporation of Public Broadcasting and the salaries they pay to liberals. Then suddenly the GOP is killing Big Bird(Sesame Street merchandising is well over 200 million and counting btw)

and back to education, California passed a law that contributions in history by Lesbian Bi Gay & Transgenders must be taught in K-12. Yeah that is a good use of public funds. First how to we go back in history an determine who was transgender or just liked to wear clothes of the opposite sex(cross dressing is not the same thing as trangender, most cross dressers consider themselves straight)? One of the most "well known" homosexuals was Oscar Wilde, however there is alot of disagreement that he was in fact Bisexual.
When historians are not equipped to identify the sexual preferences of people how are teachers mandated to teach it? It's called over compensation people. Someone is biased/prejuidiced and in order to try to hide that bias they overcompensate by passing ridiculous rules.
Liberals I have encountered are some of the most prejudicial people. I belong to 3 unions, i was physically assaulted at a union meeting when i was asked which historical figure i would most like to have lunch with. All I got out of my mouth was "Ronald Reagan" before i was hit repeatedly and the meeting had to be ended early. The funny thing is i was a democrat at the time and i wanted to ask Reagan why he went from a democratic Union president to Republican President of the US, wasn't he a turncoat? The quick bashing i received made me take a hard look at my fellow union members, it was obvious that we jumped to conclusions without the facts and answered calm debate with violence. The very things we accuse the other side of doing.
Looking at the attacks and name calling in this thread i am satisfied that i did in fact make the correct decision. I apologize to those liberals who make their points in a respectful manner, unfortunately i have found you to be in the minority.
...wow!...a slew of absolutely first rate points...and beautifully articulated as well....in the face of such awesomeness putting up any form of counter-argument would simply be a waste of time....you win!....

Cheers

blutto

runninboy said:

Maybe set aside the potentially absurd extremities of Cal's political correctness for a separate discussion. They could probably start with a more nuanced telling of the colonial policies in the region.

So there are rigid, cliche mongering bigots on all sides of the US political system, so what?

By the time of your conversion labor and unions had well since ceased to be a class. That said: do you truly believe there is no difference between PBS and profit driven corporations that outsource labor and income to nether parts of the world? More important do think that liberals in politics aren't often in the pocket of the latter?

Back to your original example, what's the percentage of really gifted and thinking people lining up to be US schoolteachers these days? And why do you think that is?

Jul 4, 2009
Cobber said:
I think a lot of people on the right side of the political spectrum equate liberal bias with being informed of the facts. I suppose that makes sense, given that there is a pretty strong correlation between the way states vote and the average IQ of that state (at least in 2004).

....would appear the the preceding neatly explains the following....

"Charles Fuqua is a Republican candidate for the US House from Arkansas, and he wants to expel all Muslims from the US.

Charles Fuqua of Batesville, Arkansas, is currently seeking a House of Representatives seat. His e-book “God’s Law: The Only Political Solution” came out in April on Amazon.”I see no solution to the Muslim problem short of expelling all followers of the religion from the United States,” he writes in his book, according to The Arkansas Times newspaper.

Another Arkansas Republican thinks slavery was a “blessing” for blacks.

In his book, [state representative Jon] Hubbard says “…the institution of slavery that the black race has long believed to be an abomination upon its people may actually have been a blessing in disguise. The blacks who could endure those conditions and circumstances would someday be rewarded with citizenship in the greatest nation ever established on the face of the Earth.”

Cute. This reminds me of Republican Mike Huckabee’s recent comments about the gift of rape babies.

“Ethel Waters, for example, was the result of a forcible rape,” Huckabee said of the late American gospel singer. One-time presidential candidate Huckabee added: “I used to work for James Robison back in the 1970s, he leads a large Christian organization. He, himself, was the result of a forcible rape. And so I know it happens, and yet even from those horrible, horrible tragedies of rape, which are inexcusable and indefensible, life has come and sometimes, you know, those people are able to do extraordinary things.”

Brought to you by your Republican party, your local corporate-sponsored wrong wing representative."

...gee whiz, don't want to jump to conclusions, but this seems like a very clear-cut case of, dare I say, the morans leading the morans....

Cheers

blutto

runninboy said:

Eureka! At the same time you should be considering how it is that such large corporations have become part and parcel to a political class, which has given into an access of pop culture to get the 2 cent message across. Even among 16 year-olds, who, in today's America, are undoubtedly conscious of all the political and historical forces at work! :rolleyes: As are their parents no doubt. :D Shame on that teacher for having ridiculed the wrong target. This is undoubtedly democracy at its finest.

It's as watered down as your analysis.

Jun 18, 2009
blutto said:
...gee whiz, don't want to jump to conclusions, but this seems like a very clear-cut case of, dare I say, the morans leading the morans....

Cheers

blutto
:D:D:D Well said!

Jun 16, 2009
Romney ahead in a Rasmussen poll 49-47. It might not be sucha walkover after all. Obama not so good without teleprompter.

Jun 16, 2009
blutto said:
....would appear the the preceding neatly explains the following....

"Charles Fuqua is a Republican candidate for the US House from Arkansas, and he wants to expel all Muslims from the US.

Charles Fuqua of Batesville, Arkansas, is currently seeking a House of Representatives seat. His e-book “God’s Law: The Only Political Solution” came out in April on Amazon.”I see no solution to the Muslim problem short of expelling all followers of the religion from the United States,” he writes in his book, according to The Arkansas Times newspaper.

Another Arkansas Republican thinks slavery was a “blessing” for blacks.

In his book, [state representative Jon] Hubbard says “…the institution of slavery that the black race has long believed to be an abomination upon its people may actually have been a blessing in disguise. The blacks who could endure those conditions and circumstances would someday be rewarded with citizenship in the greatest nation ever established on the face of the Earth.”

Cute. This reminds me of Republican Mike Huckabee’s recent comments about the gift of rape babies.

“Ethel Waters, for example, was the result of a forcible rape,” Huckabee said of the late American gospel singer. One-time presidential candidate Huckabee added: “I used to work for James Robison back in the 1970s, he leads a large Christian organization. He, himself, was the result of a forcible rape. And so I know it happens, and yet even from those horrible, horrible tragedies of rape, which are inexcusable and indefensible, life has come and sometimes, you know, those people are able to do extraordinary things.”

Brought to you by your Republican party, your local corporate-sponsored wrong wing representative."

Cheers

blutto
A friend of mine, who is American and would be regarded as a Conservative in Australia said that Herman Cain never had a chance of being nominated for Republican presidential candidate because the party "supports white-supremacy". Obviously there were other matters that stopped Cain being selected.:eek:

auscyclefan94 said:
A friend of mine, who is American and would be regarded as a Conservative in Australia said that Herman Cain never had a chance of being nominated for Republican presidential candidate because the party "supports white-supremacy". Obviously there were other matters that stopped Cain being selected.:eek:
What like being a total moron but the ****test candidate in decades?

Putting aside everything else, you do realize that the fact that he never even held a major political office, pretty much eliminated him from the running to start with?

You have to go back to before the civil war to even find a president who wasn't a vp, governor or senator, and that was a congressman.

For a pizza chain owner to win a party nomination poll is itself breaking the glass ceiling.

Sep 10, 2009
Jun 18, 2009
auscyclefan94 said:
Romney ahead in a Rasmussen poll 49-47. It might not be sucha walkover after all. Obama not so good without teleprompter.
1. National polls don't matter as I is a few swing states that will decide the election.
2. Individual polls don't represent the general electorate as they sample an incredibly small fraction of voters.
3. Rasmussen has a renowned conservative bias.

Jun 16, 2009
Cobber said:
1. National polls don't matter as I is a few swing states that will decide the election.
2. Individual polls don't represent the general electorate as they sample an incredibly small fraction of voters.
3. Rasmussen has a renowned conservative bias.
Yes, I know what a sample is and I know how a poll works.:rolleyes: The sample is suppose to represent the electorate on a smaller scale but when you are using a small sample such as 1000 people in a country where roughly 150,000,000 people will be voting, is not going to be a great poll.

VeloCity said:
When has Rasmussen ever had Obama up?

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/us/general_election_romney_vs_obama-1171.html

See those few red splotches among the sea of blue? That's Rasmussen. They also had Romney up 2 before the debate and after the DNC. It's a Republican poll.
Fair enough but it is still reasonable to say that there would have been a slight bounce in the polls for Romney?
The Hitch said:
What like being a total moron but the ****test candidate in decades?

Putting aside everything else, you do realize that the fact that he never even held a major political office, pretty much eliminated him from the running to start with?

You have to go back to before the civil war to even find a president who wasn't a vp, governor or senator, and that was a congressman.

For a pizza chain owner to win a party nomination poll is itself breaking the glass ceiling.
Obviously it was that as well.
blutto said:
....more intellectual brilliance from the wrong wing faction....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBy3MbP4WDo&feature=player_embedded

....and take it as you may but there is a rumour going around that ACF and runninboy were both seen in the attending audience cheering wildly......though personally I don't think that is possible because I would like to believe that ACF is smarter than that...

Cheers

blutto
As I have said multiple times, I do not live in the US, I do not support either Party and no I was clearly not in the audience. Hopefully it is soon time that you offer something constructive instead of being a complete moron.
gooner said:
Herman Cain was never going to get nominated after he embarassed himself answering a question on Libya. He did'nt even know what was happening with the situation.
Well, that is embarrassing!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS