U.S. Politics

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 20, 2009
velo, thanks for the well-thought and researched reply. but before i read the links you provided, i have a few thoughts.

VeloCity said:
Why is there reason to believe that? And Obama doesn't legislate, no president does.
yes, the president does. legislate means to make and/or enact laws. the president's job as chief executive is to enact laws passed by congress. however, the president does have a role in making laws as well. ruling party policy is directed from the white house. one further broader point; i was using legislate as a synonym for "govern" and obama has definitely governed further to the right than he campaigned.

Well, let's take "the war on terror", which btw doesn't exist anymore - this guy puts it better than I ever could:
the phrase may not exist anymore, but the policies and government actions underpinning GWOT are still very much in force. domestic spying, guantanamo, rendition and so on have not gone. have you been through a US airport recently? security kabuki.

Yep, they did. The Bush administration initiated that policy after 9/11, giving both the CIA and the military authority to kill US citizens abroad if there was evidence that they were involved in terrorist activities against the US. They never actually carried it out, though. Course, they couldn't find bin Laden, either.
i had heard differently. what is your source for this?

No president has the power to unilaterally "curtail civil rights". This isn't a dictatorship. And exactly what civil rights have been curtailed anyway?
actually, the president has a lot of power to curtail civil rights, which was enhanced by the yoo/addington memos. first, as chief law enforcer, the president directs which laws will be aggressively pursued and which won't. bradley manning is being illegally detained. state laws permitting marijuana use are being ignored. domestic warrantless wiretapping is still the order of the day. again, have you been in a US airport recently? do the words "pepper spray" mean anything to you? the president's job includes protecting citizens from those abuses. second, the you/addington memos which are still government policy and permit the president to do anything during a time of war. war being defined as anytime troops are abroad.

Which any president would've have to do for the good of the country. Had nothing to do with it being Obama; he had no choice.
i wasn't taking a position against the bailouts. i am merely stating that he continued bush's policies. faced with the same reality, i believe mcsame would have acted likewise, in spite of how he campaigned, mostly because the policies were already in place from the previous administration.

um, no. That was the Republicans.

Obama has always opposed extending the Bush tax cuts, but if he hadn't extended them, then everyone - not just the rich - would've seen their taxes increased, and a recession is not exactly the best time to be hitting the middle class with increased taxes.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20026069-503544.html

"Mr. Obama, who had long opposed extending the Bush tax cuts for America's highest-earners, has argued he had no choice but to agree to GOP demands to do so in order to avoid a tax increase on the middle class."

Not really.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/03/30/news/economy/obama_energy_plan/index.htm
this is just political cover. he has not fought for the middle class. period. the republicans state their position and he tries to meet it instead of trying to get them to meet him.

I agree that it's not always obvious, but Obama really has been quite different from Bush, and would've been even more so if not for the restrictions of a poor economy and hostile, do-nothing Republicans in congress.
it is not obvious, therefore he isn't. results are the only thing that count. what may or may not be in his head is irrelevant. he has governed as a centrist republican and left the middle class to twist in the wind.

Mar 18, 2009
Face it. For all his talk about change, the brother turned out to be an Oreo. Uncle Tom would be embarassed to be in the same room as Obama.

Apr 20, 2009
redtreviso said:
better yet how do explain the hate towards Obama from the right?
easy.
1) president barack obama - democrat - he is in the wrong club
2) barack hussein obama - that sounds kind of muslimy
3) mommy white, daddy not white and foreign - affirmative action

Apr 20, 2009
BroDeal said:
The same way I explain the popularity of Republicans among poor white trash.
ewww, that's gotta sting.

could you be a little more specific? what is it about these groups that act and vote against their own interests and, one might add, in the interests of the country in general?

Apr 20, 2009
Alpe d'Huez said:
Looks like Cain is "reassessing" his campaign in light of the latest scandal, this one involving a 13-year affair. Link here.

As I and others have said, doesn't matter, the nomination is Romney's, to lose anyway.
as someone who enjoys a good joke, i will lament the demise of cain's campaign.

don't count newty-poo out. it is looking a lot more like he will be the nominee.

Jun 22, 2009
Rick Perry gets U.S. voting age wrong in New Hampshire
By Rosalind S. Helderman

At a town hall meeting at the Institute of Politics at New Hampshire’s Saint Anselm’s College Tuesday, Rick Perry asked that all of the college students in the crowd who will be 21 by Nov. 12 support his bid for the presidency.

Say what?

The voting age in the United States is, of course, 18. And the 2012 election will be held on Nov. 6, 2012. (The New Hampshire Republican primary, which brought Perry to the state, will take place on Jan. 10).

“Those who are going to be over 21 on November 12th, I ask for your support,” Perry said, eliciting a few chuckles from the crowd.” Those who won’t be, just work hard. Because you’re... counting on us.”

The gaffe can be easily chalked up to a slip of the tongue. In fact after the event Perry spokesman Mark Miner said simply “the governor misspoke.”
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/election-2012/post/rick-perry-gets-us-voting-age-wrong-in-new-hampshire/2011/11/29/gIQAlMOM9N_blog.html

Now where have we heard those words before?:D

Jon Stewart's 'Indecision 2012' about Cain last night was pretty funny too.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-november-29-2011/indecision-2012---after-dark--oooh-yeah-edition?xrs=synd_facebook

May 23, 2010

Arizona state Senator Lori Klein, who has never been harassed by Herman Cain (Credit: YouTube/Fox News)

Arizona state Sen. Lori Klein is Herman Cain’s Arizona state chairman and also the sinking candidate’s single best asset. If I were him, I’d immediately start booking Klein on cable TV as a campaign surrogate, because her impressive spin work is right now being sadly wasted.

Lori Klein, an Arizona state Senator and Cain’s Arizona state chairman, told CBS News she stands by Cain.

Says she has known him for 12 years and he’s “never been anything but a gentlemen – and I am not an unattractive woman.”

snip:

Klein is, of course, an expert in what constitutes appropriate, professional behavior among adults, as she proved when she took a loaded gun out of her purse and pointed it at a newspaper reporter who was attempting to interview her in a state Senate lounge.

Lori Klein is a rising star in the GOP. Remember her name. Or she’ll shoot you, for being a Mexican.

http://www.salon.com/2011/11/29/az_state_senator_herman_cain_has_not_sexually_harassed_me_even_though_i_am_attractive/?source=newsletter

Sep 10, 2009
BroDeal said:
Face it. For all his talk about change, the brother turned out to be an Oreo. Uncle Tom would be embarassed to be in the same room as Obama.
But there has been significant change. It's not always obvious, but it's there, in nearly every sector - foreign policy, the economy, energy policy, etc. And you can't overlook that Obama's been blocked at nearly every turn by the majority of Republicans in Congress - some might say that's weak leadership, but what is he supposed to do? He tried the compromise route and the Rs responded by refusing to do anything. His biggest mistake was to try and compromise with the Rs from '08-10, when Ds were in the majority - hindsight being 20/20 of course, but he should've taken better advantage of that instead of capitulating to the backward-facing Rs.

May 23, 2010
VeloCity said:
But there has been significant change. It's not always obvious, but it's there, in nearly every sector - foreign policy, the economy, energy policy, etc. And you can't overlook that Obama's been blocked at nearly every turn by the majority of Republicans in Congress - some might say that's weak leadership, but what is he supposed to do? He tried the compromise route and the Rs responded by refusing to do anything. His biggest mistake was to try and compromise with the Rs from '08-10, when Ds were in the majority - hindsight being 20/20 of course, but he should've taken better advantage of that instead of capitulating to the backward-facing Rs.
Even if the Republicans were indifferent towards Obama, the banksters are still holding the country hostage..Threaten them and their way of life and they will ruin things for everyone. They showed their leverage to Bush before the 08 election and didn't get an ounce of opposition from MR EXECUTIVE POWERS..

Sep 10, 2009
Looks like the party's over.

http://www.people-press.org/2011/11/29/more-now-disagree-with-tea-party-–-even-in-tea-party-districts/?src=prc-twitter

Republican favorability has dropped 7 points with the general public since September 2010, with the steepest portion of the drop occuring during the debt-ceiling debate last summer.

But in congressional districts where the tea party is strong, Republican support has dropped further, by 10 points.

And while overall GOP numbers are stronger in those tea party districts, even there, the unfavorables are higher than the favorables, 48 unfavorable to 41 favorable.http://www.frumforum.com/the-cost-of-the-tea-party

May 13, 2009
gregod said:
velo, thanks for the well-thought and researched reply. but before i read the links you provided, i have a few thoughts.

<snip>
Thanks for writing this up. I was tempted to reply myself, but you said everything I wanted to say, and then some.

+1

Jun 22, 2009
Cobblestones said:
Thanks for writing this up. I was tempted to reply myself, but you said everything I wanted to say, and then some.

+1
+2 Welshing on the Guantanamo closure particularly upset me.:(

Sep 10, 2009
Amsterhammer said:
+2 Welshing on the Guantanamo closure particularly upset me.
It's not that simple.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/guantanamo-bay-how-the-white-house-lost-the-fight-to-close-it/2011/04/14/AFtxR5XE_story.html

A bit long, but well worth the read.

Which goes back to my point: Obama can't wave a magic wand and it will be done. He can't fix the economy or reform banking laws or even close Guantanamo by himself. What he has accomplished given the restraints that he's had to deal with have been pretty remarkable, especially in the first two years of his administration. But to say that he's just continuing Bush's policies is not entirely wrong, but nowhere near completely accurate, either.

May 23, 2010
""According to a tweet from NBC News’ Jamie Novogrod, Bachmann responded to the recent raiding of the British embassy in Iran, by saying that if she was President, she would close down the U.S. embassy there. ""

Bwahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Mar 18, 2009
redtreviso said:
""According to a tweet from NBC News’ Jamie Novogrod, Bachmann responded to the recent raiding of the British embassy in Iran, by saying that if she was President, she would close down the U.S. embassy there. ""

Bwahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
The good ol' Republicans, the Party of Stupid. Bush was not vey bright and McCain graduated at the bottom 1% of his class. But, Jeebus, McCain looks like a brain surgeon compared to the current crop of imbeciles running for the Republican nomination. I guess that is what happens when a party spends thirty years villifying anyone with an education as being part of a liberal conspiracy. George Will must go to bed every night hoping he dies in his sleep.

Has Hormone Cain ended his run yet?

Jun 22, 2009
VeloCity said:
It's not that simple.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/guantanamo-bay-how-the-white-house-lost-the-fight-to-close-it/2011/04/14/AFtxR5XE_story.html

A bit long, but well worth the read.

Which goes back to my point: Obama can't wave a magic wand and it will be done. He can't fix the economy or reform banking laws or even close Guantanamo by himself. What he has accomplished given the restraints that he's had to deal with have been pretty remarkable, especially in the first two years of his administration. But to say that he's just continuing Bush's policies is not entirely wrong, but nowhere near completely accurate, either.
I'm aware of this article, read it months ago, and I know that the issue was not simple. Nevertheless, he shouldn't have made the election promise if he wasn't prepared to put up more of a fight than he did. He has seriously disappointed me (and many others) by his lack of cojones.

Yes, it's like he's just now, finally starting to use the bully pulpit and get out there and make distinctions and push some of his agenda. I know a lot of people don't like Bush (me too) but this is something he was more effective at than he gets credit for. Same with Clinton. They got a lot of their legislation through by doing just that. Talking with crowds, giving interviews, short statements to local media that gets carried to the masses. All with succinct ideas that sound like they will make progress.

Meanwhile, Bachman now says that of course she knows we don't have an Embassy in Iran, as she was on the intelligence committee, and it was media bias by NBC that parsed her words and made her look bad.

I think Cain is done. May announce his stepping down any day now. Just another arrogant "leader" who thought his past wouldn't catch up to him.

May 23, 2010
"She actually describes herself as being a cross between Nancy Reagan and Laura Bush with just a slight bit of Jackie Kennedy tossed in"

ASK THE COMMUNITY