U.S. Politics

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 4, 2011
Herman Cain has suspended his electoral campaign

US presidential hopeful Herman Cain has said he is suspending his campaign for the Republican nomination.

He blamed political and media pressure on his family in the wake of "false" allegations of sexual harassment and a 13-year-long extra-marital affair.

"I am not going to be silenced and I'm not going away," he told supporters in his home city of Atlanta, Georgia.

Next month, voters in Iowa will begin the process of choosing a Republican presidential candidate for 2012.

He said the "false" allegations against him had taken a toll on his family, but, he added: "I am at peace."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-16019624

Not surprising, is it?

Jul 4, 2011
Continuing from Amsterhammer's post
US presidential hopeful Herman Cain has said he is suspending his campaign for the Republican nomination.

He blamed political and media pressure on his family in the wake of "false" allegations of sexual harassment and a 13-year-long extra-marital affair.

"I am not going to be silenced and I'm not going away," he told supporters in his home city of Atlanta, Georgia.

Next month, voters in Iowa will begin the process of choosing a Republican presidential candidate for 2012.

Mr Cain said the "false" allegations against him had taken a toll on his family, but added: "I am at peace."

"I am suspending my presidential campaign because of the continued distraction, the continued hurt caused on me and my family," he told supporters at what had been billed as the opening of his campaign headquarters.

He said he would endorse another candidate at a later date but gave no hint of where he would direct his supporters to go.

On Friday Mr Cain discussed with his wife, Gloria, whether to press on with his campaign.

Last week, an Atlanta woman, Ginger White, 46, came forward to claim she had a 13-year affair with Mr Cain.

Speaking to MSNBC on Thursday, Ms White denied they had been in love, saying: "It was a sexual affair - as hard as that is for me to say."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-16019624

Jun 16, 2009
Just putting a question to the posters in this thread, If Obama is re-elected as President, will it be down to the Republicans lack of quality in Presidential candidates or Obama being a decent President?

May 23, 2010
Rick Perry Failed Govt 101: Claims Executive Orders Can Repeal Laws Passed By Congress

Rick Perry repeatedly insisted that the president has the authority to block the implementation of the Affordable Care Act, during Mike Huckabee’s Presidential Forum on Saturday night, despite a recent Government Accountability Office report finding to the contrary. “The executive order obviously gives you that authority,” a Perry repeated four different times to Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli, who quizzed Perry on the executive branch’s authority to eliminate a law dually passed by Congress:

CUCCINELLI: You said if elected you would issue a executive order to bloke the implementation of the federal health care law. What is your authority to unilaterally invalidate a law passed by Congress and signed by the president?

PERRY: Well, obviously an executive order. ...

CUCCINELLI: As a president, it sounds like your’e ready to simply use an executive order to void this law or large parts of it that you don’t agree with.

PERRY: Absolutely. And I think…

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2011/12/03/381485/rick-perry-failed-govt-101-claims-executive-orders-can-repeal-laws-passed-by-congress/

Jun 22, 2009
Fun and electoral games in Texas - perhaps some of the Texans here have an opinion?

Supreme Court weighs GOP appeal over Texas election map

Justices may decide this week whether to act on a request to block a redistricting plan that could help Latino Democrats win seats in Congress.

Reporting from Washington—
The Supreme Court is likely to decide early this week whether to act on an appeal from Texas Republicans and block the use of an election map that could help three or more Latino Democrats win seats in Congress next year.

The case of Rick Perry vs. Shannon Perez is the first redistricting battle to come before the high court in the round of political line-drawing that followed the 2010 census. It mixes partisan politics with a continuing legal dispute over the role of the Voting Rights Act in aiding minority candidates.

Obama administration lawyers had joined the case on the side of Latino civil rights advocates. Together, they argued that Texas Republicans who control the Legislature had denied fair representation to the state's growing Latino minority.

Texas was a big winner in the recent census tally. Its population grew by nearly 4.3 million, driven by a surge of Latinos. Based on this growth, the Lone Star State will receive four more seats in the House of Representatives, giving it 36.

At issue now is whether state lawmakers are entitled to draw the district lines to benefit their party, or instead, whether judges should draw the lines to ensure more representation for Latinos and blacks.

Partisan gerrymandering is the norm in most states when one party has a clear edge in power, and the GOP dominates Texas politics. Former House Republican leader Tom DeLay devised the last map changes, which helped Republicans win 22 of the state's 32 seats in Congress. In statewide elections, Republicans usually win about 57% of the vote.

In the summer, the GOP leadership in Austin drew a new map for its congressional districts that was expected to result in a 26-10 division for Republicans after the 2012 election. Gov. Perry signed it into law.

But under the Voting Rights Act, Texas had to win "pre-clearance" from Washington before it could make this change in its voting rules. In early November, a special three-judge panel in Washington refused to immediately approve the new map.

Back in Texas, three federal judges in San Antonio who were hearing a separate challenge to the redistricting plan then opted to draw an interim map. They noted that candidates in Texas were due to file for office by Dec. 15, and they would need to know where their districts were located.

That special judicial panel split 2 to 1, however, with two Latinos in the majority. U.S. District Court Judges Orlando Garcia and Xavier Rodriguez adopted the interim map for the congressional seats, which creates three new districts with large Latino populations. Judge Jerry Smith of the U.S. 5th Circuit Court of Appeals dissented, calling it a "runaway plan that imposes an extreme redistricting plan" on Texas.

Last week, lawyers for Texas filed an emergency appeal saying the judges had set out to "create race-based districts."
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-court-texas-20111205,0,2956141.story

Sep 10, 2009
As usual, Krugman is spot on:

"The same metaphor, it seems to me, might apply to the G.O.P. pursuit of the White House next year. If the dog actually catches the car — the actual job of running the U.S. government — it will have no idea what to do, because the realities of government in the 21st century bear no resemblance to the mythology all ambitious Republican politicians must pretend to believe. And what will happen then?"

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/05/opinion/send-in-the-clueless.html?_r=1&src=me&ref=general

Mar 18, 2009
VeloCity said:
As usual, Krugman is spot on:

"The same metaphor, it seems to me, might apply to the G.O.P. pursuit of the White House next year. If the dog actually catches the car — the actual job of running the U.S. government — it will have no idea what to do, because the realities of government in the 21st century bear no resemblance to the mythology all ambitious Republican politicians must pretend to believe. And what will happen then?"

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/05/opinion/send-in-the-clueless.html?_r=1&src=me&ref=general
That is a good article that touches on the sad state of the Republican party.

Sep 10, 2009
BroDeal said:
That is a good article that touches on the sad state of the Republican party.
This, too - granted, it's Peter King, who's a nutjob even by far-right standards, but still, reinforces the view that the only thing Rs are concerned about is making Obama and the Ds look bad:

http://politicalcorrection.org/blog/201112050005

Extending the payroll tax cut would give struggling workers more money to spend, which is what the economy actually needs, and also cut taxes for every small business, which is what Republicans say the economy needs. But Peter King says his party should support it to ensure that Democrats can't "get out from under" the political consequences of a bad economy. That's the modern Republican Party: Occasionally willing to do the right thing, but only if they think it will hurt Democrats.

May 13, 2009
Newt Gingrich could not name 40 delegates (20 + 20 backups) from NH. Even if he wins the state by 100% (however likely that is), he might get only up to the 14 he was able to field (3 of which apparently are his staff members).

He also missed the filing deadline for the Missouri primary (which admittedly isn't important, since the Missouri delegates are determined by a caucus later).

It doesn't look like a well organized campaign to me.

Jun 22, 2009
Cobblestones said:
And muppets are brainwashing US children according to Fox.

Didn't know which thread to put this. The chaos thread? General politics? So I decided to put it here together with the muppet show called GOP primaries which has its own share of FOX bloviators.
After some thought about where to put this, I posted this complete with Miss Piggy in the Gen. Pol. topic the day before yesterday (post #12147). Sadly, the story got swamped amidst dozens of posts about Russia, India and Oz. No biggie, not exactly major news - I do also think it's a positive step that Gen. Pol. is no longer totally dominated by US politics.

Jun 22, 2009
The freak show is now complete.:D

Donald Trump for GOP debate host? You're hired!

The Republican presidential race already resembles a reality TV show, so who better than the 'star' of The Apprentice to play a part in the election of the president?

Should anyone be worried that the end – sorry, "suspension" – of Herman Cain's audition to be a well-paid Fox News pundit – sorry, "Cain's presidential campaign" – might signal the beginning of the Republican party taking this election seriously, don't worry! Just the day before Cain took to the airwaves to announce, "I am suspending my presidential campaign because of the continued distraction" (the "continued distraction" being, of course, the Cain campaign), something lurched in the background, silhouetted against the horizon like Robert Mitchum in the 1955 film The Night of the Hunter combined with The Terminator, but more terrifying and unassailable. What is that, the American people cried? Is it human? Surely not – that pouffe on top of the head could never sprout naturally from a mammal, let alone a human. Good Lord, the self-delusion radiating off it is just terrifying! Oh my God – it can't be! Not again! Oh, but it is, it is!
Yes, it's Donald Trump, milking out an already thin franchise with even less shame than George Lucas, this franchise being, of course, "Donald Trump: Political Player". And like all adept film franchise milkers, Trump has to make only the slightest twist in the formula to kid himself that this latest contribution to his life's oeuvre was a necessary new addition. Trump – a man whose political nous was last employed in April when he announced to the world's press that he was "so proud of myself" for having forced President Barack Obama to produce his birth certificate to prove black people can, amazingly, be born in America, too – will moderate the Republican debate on 27 December.
After all, even aside from Trump already somehow establishing himself as a GOP playa, with Republican candidates and non-candidates alike coming to New York to kiss his ring, this election has long since become a reality TV show, with its endless TV debates, beyond-parody gaffes and, yes, joke candidates. Much of the GOP race so far, and Cain's candidacy in particular, has been the inevitable result of a game kickstarted by Sarah Palin, in which having no experience and, by extension, no knowledge, are presented as political qualifications, bringing a decidedly X Factor element to proceedings. Moreover, when a candidate has to exit the race, not because he has no knowledge about foreign affairs but because he's been accused of a long-term consensual affair, it's pretty hard to accord the race with much more respect than your average episode of The Apprentice.
These are only excerpts, more amusement here - http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2011/dec/06/host-republican-debate-donald-trump

Jul 4, 2011
Amsterhammer said:
After some thought about where to put this, I posted this complete with Miss Piggy in the Gen. Pol. topic the day before yesterday (post #12147). Sadly, the story got swamped amidst dozens of posts about Russia, India and Oz. No biggie, not exactly major news - I do also think it's a positive step that Gen. Pol. is no longer totally dominated by US politics.
Sorry about that, I did read it but things got a bit swamped yesterday.

May 13, 2009
Amsterhammer said:
Sorry, I missed it in Gen. Pol.

To complete the freak show which is the GOP nomination, Cain bows out of the race quoting a Pokemon movie. Again, I didn't see it anywhere else, so sorry if it was posted earlier.

Mar 18, 2009
Cobblestones said:
Sorry, I missed it in Gen. Pol.

To complete the freak show which is the GOP nomination, Cain bows out of the race quoting a Pokemon movie. Again, I didn't see it anywhere else, so sorry if it was posted earlier.
I am sad to see Cain go. Sure he was an idiot, but it's a pretty good bet that any Republican candidate who does not wear magic underwear is an idiot. The dude was funny. Now I can only hope that in spring Trump jumps in the race as an independent.

Maybe Newt will flame out and the nutbag support will go to Ron Paul. That could be good for some laughs.

Apr 20, 2009
BroDeal said:
I am sad to see Cain go. Sure he was an idiot, but ....
by "idiot", do you mean "buffoon" or "stupid person". certainly, he and many of the other candidates are buffoons, but i doubt that any of them (except for perhaps perry and bachmann) are actually stupid. sure all of them say stupid things and try to hold positions that are not in touch with reality. however, this has more to do with the fact that they are locked into various ideologies and they are trying to conform reality to fit their ideology, which is impossible, as opposed to letting reality shape their thinking. so, they look stupid twisting themselves into pretzels and/or simply ignoring the truth to fit some pre(ill)conceived notion.

this goes for anyone who is blinkered by any ideology. ideology is always the enemy of free thought and often at odds with reality.

Mar 18, 2009
gregod said:
by "idiot", do you mean "buffoon" or "stupid person". certainly, he and many of the other candidates are buffoons, but i doubt that any of them (except for perhaps perry and bachmann) are actually stupid. sure all of them say stupid things and try to hold positions that are not in touch with reality. however, this has more to do with the fact that they are locked into various ideologies and they are trying to conform reality to fit their ideology, which is impossible, as opposed to letting reality shape their thinking. so, they look stupid twisting themselves into pretzels and/or simply ignoring the truth to fit some pre(ill)conceived notion.

this goes for anyone who is blinkered by any ideology. ideology is always the enemy of free thought and often at odds with reality.
Cubans speak "Cuban?" Need I say more.

Sep 10, 2009
gregod said:

Voluntary ignorance is a kind of stupid. I'd say that applies to Perry, though he was more way in over his head, but mainly to Cain and Bachmann, who are just caricatures of every stereotype of the right wing.

EDIT: case in point - Bachmann claiming - on FoxNews of course - that 50% of Mexico's population has "moved north of the border" and are now living in the US. That's 56 million people. First, that is truly stupid, and second, little wonder that FoxNews viewers are so misinformed.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS