U.S. Politics

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 22, 2009
Where the hell are Red and Scotty?:confused:

There's all sorts of election insanity going on, including a debate tonight featuring this cretin -

Palestinians are an invented people, says Newt Gingrich

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/dec/10/palestinians-invented-people-newt-gingrich

And then there's this (not strictly election related, but better here than in the other topic, imo) which even a conservative of my acquaintance agrees with!-

Obama Seeks to Prevent Defense Bill's Indefinite Detention of US Citizens

President Obama threatened to veto the National Defense Authorization Act of 2012 (NDAA) unless lawmakers remove the provision authorizing indefinite military detention of US citizens believed to have engaged in terrorist activities. The $662 billion Senate bill passed in a 93-7 vote on Dec. 1, 2011.
Opponents of the detention provisions include Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta, CIA Director David Petraeus, FBI Director Robert Mueller, Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, White House Advisor for Counterterrorism John Brennan, and DOJ National Security Division head Lisa Monaco, according to the ACLU. Panetta, Muleler, and Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton joined President Obama in lobbying lawmakers this week to remove the detention language as well as other provisions that place restrictions on executive authority while fighting the "War on Terror."

Senators rejected in a 45-55 vote Amendment 1126 presented by Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) seeking to exclude US citizens from the detention provision. The Senate instead voted 99-1 to include a compromise amendment stating that the NDAA does not intend to alter current laws regarding the detention of US citizens.
http://www.procon.org/headline.php?headlineID=005047

Sep 10, 2009
Looking better for Obama:

Turning to the general election, President Obama’s standing has improved in Florida, always a key presidential battleground state. Forty-six percent of registered voters in the state approve of his job, which is up five points since October. In hypothetical match-ups, the president leads Romney by seven points (48 to 41 percent) and Gingrich by 12 points (51 to 39 percent). In South Carolina -- a reliable Republican state in presidential contests -- Obama’s approval rating stands at 44 percent, and he holds narrow leads over Romney (45 to 42 percent) and Gingrich (46 to 42 percent). http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/11/9365498-gingrich-opens-up-big-leads-in-south-carolina-and-florida
Opening up a big lead in Florida but more remarkably Obama is leading both Gingrich and Romney in South Carolina - ok just marginally and I doubt in the end that Obama will take SC, but still, reflects how unpopular the Republican candidates really are.

Could partially be due to the fact that Gingrich is completely insane:

http://drezner.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2011/12/11/the_most_apocalyptic_throwaway_line_in_last_nights_gop_debate

May 13, 2009
I'm really, really surprised by Gingrich's numbers. Just a short while ago, Romney was leading in all the first primary states. Now it seems he has only NH left. I'm also surprised that the Gingrich's voters apparently come from the Palin, Bachman, Trump, Perry, Cain corner of the electorate. I thought these voters were the new anti Washington, anti establishment, anti government tea party crowd. What they see in Gingrich, one of the archetypical Washington insiders, I have no idea.

One pundit on TV explained that is has to do with anger. In this explanation the teabaggers are basically a bunch of angry white men. And they vote for the dude who can channel their anger. That's pretty much Gingrich's home turf, delivering incendiary rhetoric. Maybe that's all there is to it.

Anyway, this close to the start of the primary season, Gingrich is in a comfortable lead. Barring a disastrous implosion (always a real possibility with Gingrich), he might actually be the 2012 GOP candidate. No wonder Obama seems so relaxed and happy.

Jun 22, 2009
This man has become a complete caricature, though I suppose with his money he can laugh at all of us more readily than we at him.:(

Donald Trump bows out of the Newsmax debate

The Republican Party candidates are very concerned that sometime after the final episode of The Apprentice, on May 20th, when the equal time provisions are no longer applicable to me, I will announce my candidacy for President of the United States as an Independent and that, unless I conclusively agree not to run as an Independent, they will not agree to attend or be a part of the Newsmax debate scheduled for December 27, 2011. It is very important to me that the right Republican candidate be chosen to defeat the failed and very destructive Obama Administration, but if that Republican, in my opinion, is not the right candidate, I am not willing to give up my right to run as an Independent candidate. Therefore, so that there is no conflict of interest within the Republican Party, I have decided not to be the moderator of the Newsmax debate. The American people are embarrassed by the gridlock currently taking place in Washington. I must leave all of my options open because, above all else, we must make America great again!

I would like to thank Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum for having the courage, conviction, and confidence to immediately accept being a part of the Newsmax debate. I believe this would not only have been the most watched debate, but also the most substantive and interesting debate!
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/post/donald-trump-bows-out-of-the-newsmax-debate/2011/03/04/gIQAbriMsO_blog.html

May 23, 2010
(Fox News) Randolph H. Hall, the attorney for Rep. Michelle Bachmann's presidential campaign, filed papers in federal court in South Carolina today, claiming the “spiritual endorsement” of the late Terry Schiavo. In a press conference carried live by Fox News, Mr. Hall stated that Schiavo, a nationally-recognized spokesperson for the Republican-Right-to-Life-Movement at the time of her murder in 2005, has sent “numerous messages” to him, indicating that she favors Rep. Bachmann's positions on pressing social issues.

Willard “Mitt” Romneys has since released a statement saying that co-sponsor Senator William Frist has determined, from watching films of Schiavo, that she actually intended to endorse the Romney campaign. Fox News has unconfirmed reports that the Romney camp is hastily preparing a “Friend of the Corpse” for filing with the federal court early tomorrow mourning.

Unconfirmed sources are speculating that Newt Gingrich will attempt to initiate an affair with Schiavo by the end of the week.

Sep 10, 2009
Thrice-married serial adulterer Newt has apparently signed the so-called Defense of Marriage pledge. Seriously.

Jun 22, 2009
VeloCity said:
Thrice-married serial adulterer Newt has apparently signed the so-called Defense of Marriage pledge. Seriously.
Is anything a surprise any more? These people regularly come up with the unimagineable.......

Herman Cain, who mounted a much-criticized defense against allegations of sexual harassment, said that if he had the chance to head a Cabinet department, he has his heart set on one particular position.

Treasury, Mr. 9-9-9?

Nope.

“We are speaking totally, totally hypothetical, right?” said Cain during an interview on ABC with Barbara Walters. “Department of Defense.”

Walters expressed total suprise at Cain’s out-of-nowhere answer.

The GOP presidential candidate suspended his campaign after allegations of a 13-year affair with Atlanta woman Ginger White.

“Because if I could influence rebuilding our military the way it should be, that would be a task I would consider undertaking,” Cain, who has never served in the military, said.

Walters reminded Cain that he struggled on foreign affairs (remember when he said Libya was once home to some Taliban insurgents?).

“If you were Secretary of Defense it would be important to be familiar with the various countries around the world, and you have had some difficulty with that, Mr. Cain,” Walters said.

“Yes, but I have been doing my homework ever since that difficulty,” he said.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/election-2012/post/cain-has-his-eye-on-the-department-of-defense-in-a-gop-administration/2011/12/15/gIQAgiwXwO_blog.html?hpid=z1

May 23, 2010
""I was born a poor black child"---Steve Martin

""US election 2012: Mitt Romney's life as a poor Mormon missionary in France questioned

It was a rare reflection by Mitt Romney on his life as a young Mormon, offered as proof to struggling Americans that despite being born into privilege and amassing a $250 million fortune, he too had known hard times.

A day after being labelled “out of touch” for casually offering a $10,000 bet to a rival candidate, Mr Romney told supporters he had experienced austerity as a missionary in France, using a bucket for a lavatory and a hose for a shower. “You’re not living high on the hog at that kind of level,” he said.

But the Republican presidential hopeful spent a significant portion of his 30-month mission in a Paris mansion described by fellow American missionaries to The Daily Telegraph as “palace”. It featured stained glass windows, chandeliers, and an extensive art collection. It was staffed by two servants – a Spanish chef and a houseboy.

Although he spent time in other French cities, for most of 1968, Mr Romney lived in the Mission Home, a 19th century neoclassical building in the French capital’s chic 16th arrondissement. “It was a house built by and for rich people,” said Richard Anderson, the son of the mission president at the time of Mr Romney’s stay. “I would describe it as a palace”. ""

Mar 18, 2009
redtreviso said:
It's funny because it's true.

A family in the neighborhoof sponsored a fundraiser for ol' Mitt. They sent invitations to everyone in the 'hood. It was only $5000 a couple. 5K to party with Mormons didn't sound like a very good deal to me. A brother could buy a nice bike frame for that kind of dosh.

Mar 17, 2009
redtreviso said:
""I was born a poor black child"---Steve Martin

""US election 2012: Mitt Romney's life as a poor Mormon missionary in France questioned

It was a rare reflection by Mitt Romney on his life as a young Mormon, offered as proof to struggling Americans that despite being born into privilege and amassing a $250 million fortune, he too had known hard times.

A day after being labelled “out of touch” for casually offering a $10,000 bet to a rival candidate, Mr Romney told supporters he had experienced austerity as a missionary in France, using a bucket for a lavatory and a hose for a shower. “You’re not living high on the hog at that kind of level,” he said.

But the Republican presidential hopeful spent a significant portion of his 30-month mission in a Paris mansion described by fellow American missionaries to The Daily Telegraph as “palace”. It featured stained glass windows, chandeliers, and an extensive art collection. It was staffed by two servants – a Spanish chef and a houseboy.

Although he spent time in other French cities, for most of 1968, Mr Romney lived in the Mission Home, a 19th century neoclassical building in the French capital’s chic 16th arrondissement. “It was a house built by and for rich people,” said Richard Anderson, the son of the mission president at the time of Mr Romney’s stay. “I would describe it as a palace”. ""
Two servants in a place that size is no picnic. It's almost certain that he had to turn down his own linens and draw his own bath. Walk a mile in his hand sewn, hand lasted Johnston &Murphy wingtips, before you judge.

May 23, 2010
patricknd said:
Two servants in a place that size is no picnic. It's almost certain that he had to turn down his own linens and draw his own bath. Walk a mile in his hand sewn, hand lasted Johnston &Murphy wingtips, before you judge.
Probably worse than George W Bush.. Word is little W refused to wipe himself until he was 12..Had to have someone do it for him . He was probably a smear it on the wall kind of baby.

Watching these morons is just impossible. I can't tell who's dumber, the audience, the Fox News flunkie, or the candidates. It's like they've formed a perfect triumvirate of idiocy.

Ron Paul made perfect sense on Iraq and endless wars (Orwell, anyone). Of course, he gets booed by the intellectual trash in the audience.

Mar 18, 2009
Moose McKnuckles said:
Ron Paul made perfect sense on Iraq and endless wars (Orwell, anyone). Of course, he gets booed by the intellectual trash in the audience.
It's too bad that for every rational position of Ron Paul he has an insane one. He is the only one who will speak the truth about the war on terror, the war on drugs, the patriot act, etc. But at the same time he will push stuff straight out of koo koo land like the gold standard. If he was a little less crazy, he could be great.

I think we need to bring back Perot. Now that guy was funny, and a lot of what he said turned out to be true.

May 23, 2010
BroDeal said:
It's too bad that for every rational position of Ron Paul he has an insane one. He is the only one who will speak the truth about the war on terror, the war on drugs, the patriot act, etc. But at the same time he will push stuff straight out of koo koo land like the gold standard. If he was a little less crazy, he could be great.

I think we need to bring back Perot. Now that guy was funny, and a lot of what he said turned out to be true.
Perot is like John McCain. He only speaks against the party line until he gets the bigger share of what he thinks is coming to him, then his words vaporize.

ASK THE COMMUNITY