• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

U.S. Politics

Page 2400 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Koronin said:
Unchained said:
If you listen you can hear it..LA teachers strike..a major issue healthcare legacy costs,25 years of teaching gets the teacher and dependents healthcare to death..US Post Office saying that legacy retirement debt for already retired workers and those able to retire under older contracts will put them behind the eight ball and maybe out of business because of health care costs..the auto industry in the United States has had to do almost a complete do over..reinventing itself w non union labor agreements and experts see the promised health care and retirement benefits to retirees as a sinker..an untreatable infection..union labor in the US again declined ..at current rate union labor will be less than 10% in a couple of years.
Millennial workers will be @60+% of the workforce in @5 years. With the nature of the American worker in flux,huge increases in jobs in the gig economy..
It's coming
..and our guys are fighting about airplane tickets and wall construction.to make crazier still, the political grandstanding has guaranteed cash so they never need to worry about going unpaid during this tussle.
We have problems..dirty little kids from Guatemala are pretty far down on the list..Trump may need help revising his notes..strawberry pickers penetrating Mexican border or hyper sonic missiles..political chicken with Nancy Pelosi or getting a funded agency that can keep the Chinese and Russians from turning off our satellites and power grid..just an idea

As most people today don't have pensions, they won't be able to retire as the income is barely enough to live on as it is, let alone save anything so you can actually retire.
Probably not retire w/o working but just about everybody has either SocialSecurity or PARA...

BUT the above bolded once again shows how unfit this trump butt-nugget is for the job. Made worse as he fires the smart people around him, thinking he has all the answers..lonely, corrupt, arrogant, ignorant..

Jagartrott said:
Koronin said:
The copper IUD which lasts 10 years, and is very expensive. What you just described isn't available in the US. It also makes menstruation much heavier and basically not available to women who have never had children. Also in the US over half of women who use birth control are using it for health reasons in which they need the hormones due to ovarian cysts, endometriosis, control of cycle, and other issues. The two hormonal IUDs Merina lasts 5 years and is around $1000 while Skyla lasts for 3 years and is a bit less expensive. The copper IUD is more expensive and doesn't help with any health issues and actually makes the health issues worse. The copper IUD is the only non hormonal birth control outside of getting a tubal which is very hard to get in the US. If you have 3 kids and are in your early 30's or older is when doctors are most likely to agree to do those.
For the majority of women, it does not make periods heavier though (also not for my wife). It doesn't mess with your hormones, which she thinks is very important, and it is cheap over here (I think we paid 50 euros or something). Apparently, it has the highest rate of user satisfaction of any contraception method.

Interesting as the copper IUD does make periods heavier. What you're talking about is definitely not available over here. Over here over half of women using contraceptives are using them specifically for the hormones for one reason or another. Personally I'd preferred to have had my tubes tied (if not just had my ovaries removed) as a teenager. Doctors won't do that (hysterectomy requires a major medical reason and even then good luck). For a tubal doctors refuse if haven't had at least 2-3 kids and aren't at least in your mid to late 30's because "you might change your mind" or other BS. Yeah, 50 Euros for several years is definitely cheap. Without it making periods heavier if it was available over here, it would definitely be another option for women to consider. Of course right now we have the same group that is trying to ban abortions also trying to ban birth control.

Bustedknuckle said:
Koronin said:
Unchained said:
If you listen you can hear it..LA teachers strike..a major issue healthcare legacy costs,25 years of teaching gets the teacher and dependents healthcare to death..US Post Office saying that legacy retirement debt for already retired workers and those able to retire under older contracts will put them behind the eight ball and maybe out of business because of health care costs..the auto industry in the United States has had to do almost a complete do over..reinventing itself w non union labor agreements and experts see the promised health care and retirement benefits to retirees as a sinker..an untreatable infection..union labor in the US again declined ..at current rate union labor will be less than 10% in a couple of years.
Millennial workers will be @60+% of the workforce in @5 years. With the nature of the American worker in flux,huge increases in jobs in the gig economy..
It's coming
..and our guys are fighting about airplane tickets and wall construction.to make crazier still, the political grandstanding has guaranteed cash so they never need to worry about going unpaid during this tussle.
We have problems..dirty little kids from Guatemala are pretty far down on the list..Trump may need help revising his notes..strawberry pickers penetrating Mexican border or hyper sonic missiles..political chicken with Nancy Pelosi or getting a funded agency that can keep the Chinese and Russians from turning off our satellites and power grid..just an idea

As most people today don't have pensions, they won't be able to retire as the income is barely enough to live on as it is, let alone save anything so you can actually retire.
Probably not retire w/o working but just about everybody has either SocialSecurity or PARA...

BUT the above bolded once again shows how unfit this trump butt-nugget is for the job. Made worse as he fires the smart people around him, thinking he has all the answers..lonely, corrupt, arrogant, ignorant..

You mean if Social Security is hasn't been fully decimated by the time we are old enough to retire?

Surprised no commentary on this Covington thing.

Stuff goes viral all the time, but this seems so much bigger. Massive Mobs, led by dozens of Hollywood celebrities (the absolute most privelaged and entitled people on the planet), trying to ruin the entire futures of children. At worst the crime was that one of them was being a bit of a ***, at the age of 16.

More likely his crime was being a supporter for an unpopular president. I agree with most of the criticisms against trump but that doesn't mean people or children aren't allowed to support him (have different views)
At an age where people are naive, easily manipulated and not even allowed to vote.

For this I've seen everything from calls for violence against the kid to calls for violence against the entire school to attempts to ruin the employability of anyone who attends the school for their entire lives.
Some other kids from the school were discovered to be nazis - there was a photo of them holding three fingers up during a basketball game.

A wrongly identified kid and his family received torrents of death threats as well as other punishment, from people who didn't let up even after it was clear he hadn't been near the incident.

This reminds me of the soviet Union. Mass slaughter of kulaks cos hate against innocent people is justified if everyone around you is also taking part in the fun.

In the long term this is very bad for society. The Internet may destroy humanity if this is what happens.
In the short term, looks to me like this will be a boost to trumps reelection possibilities. Apparently he's a fascist, yet this behaviour is ten times more fascistic, than anything trump ever did, and yet with very little oushback so far from the supposed mainstream opposition, or from social media giants like twitter have in the past banned people for far far less.
I doubt anyone who has come across this story will suddenly feel motivated to vote against trump if they weren't already in that boat. But probably, a few at least will feel the other way.

These reactions and behaviors predate the Internet. It may facilitate them but is not the cause. It’s more a matter of certain strains of liberalism losing sight of the means to its ends and how the latter should count for society. Specifically it has to do with an oppositional mentality that can’t emphathize or conceive of different positions, how they’ve come to pass or get reinforced.

Elsewhere

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/billionaires-at-davos-are-afraid-of-alexandria-ocasio-cortezs-tax-proposal/

Re:

aphronesis said:
Final quote in the article:

"Ocasio-Cortez wrote on Tuesday, “It’s wild that some people are more scared of a marginal tax rate than the fact that 40% of Americans struggle to pay for at least one basic need, like food or rent.”"

Literally the next headline:

"26 Billionaires Have as Much Wealth as the World's Poorest Half, Oxfam Reports"

26 people have the same amount of money as 4 billion people. That's absolutely insane.

The Hitch said:

Stuff goes viral all the time, but this seems so much bigger. Massive Mobs, led by dozens of Hollywood celebrities (the absolute most privelaged and entitled people on the planet), trying to ruin the entire futures of children. At worst the crime was that one of them was being a bit of a ***, at the age of 16.

More likely his crime was being a supporter for an unpopular president. I agree with most of the criticisms against trump but that doesn't mean people or children aren't allowed to support him (have different views)
At an age where people are naive, easily manipulated and not even allowed to vote.

For this I've seen everything from calls for violence against the kid to calls for violence against the entire school to attempts to ruin the employability of anyone who attends the school for their entire lives.
Some other kids from the school were discovered to be nazis - there was a photo of them holding three fingers up during a basketball game.

A wrongly identified kid and his family received torrents of death threats as well as other punishment, from people who didn't let up even after it was clear he hadn't been near the incident.

This reminds me of the soviet Union. Mass slaughter of kulaks cos hate against innocent people is justified if everyone around you is also taking part in the fun.

In the long term this is very bad for society. The Internet may destroy humanity if this is what happens.
In the short term, looks to me like this will be a boost to trumps reelection possibilities. Apparently he's a fascist, yet this behaviour is ten times more fascistic, than anything trump ever did, and yet with very little oushback so far from the supposed mainstream opposition, or from social media giants like twitter have in the past banned people for far far less.
I doubt anyone who has come across this story will suddenly feel motivated to vote against trump if they weren't already in that boat. But probably, a few at least will feel the other way.
That's why its important to get all of, or at least more of, the info than the initial blast. There are many videos showing the boys being more than just 16 year old arshats. For example, one boy yells to demonstrating woman "its not rape if you enjoy it". That's interesting coming from a catholic kid huh?! They were being more than "just boys", and they certainly aren't the "poor boys" their moms and dt are trying to sell us. Their parents' reaction is a big part of why they are who they are.

jmdirt said:
The Hitch said:

That's why its important to get all of, or at least more of, the info than the initial blast. There are many videos showing the boys being more than just 16 year old arshats. For example, one boy yells to demonstrating woman "its not rape if you enjoy it". That's interesting coming from a catholic kid huh?! They were being more than "just boys", and they certainly aren't the "poor boys" their moms and dt are trying to sell us. Their parents' reaction is a big part of why they are who they are.
You say one of the kids shouted that.

So all of them deserve to have their lives ruined?

The Hitch said:
jmdirt said:
The Hitch said:

In a week nobody will even remember this BUT a bunch of entitled white kids, with a bunch of 'maga' hats, hassling some native americans..gee..and the trump soldiers aren't racist arsewholes??..

Regardless of the kid's and other's walkback and trump's twitter BS, these little shites knew exactly what they were doing and why..
CNN's Jake Tapper obtained a statement on Sunday from Nick Sandmann, a junior at Covington Catholic High School, who said he is the student in the video. Sandmann said he was trying to defuse a tense situation and denied insinuations that anyone in the crowd was acting out of racism or hatred.
Bullcrappola...he knew what he was doing..being stupid in public..

The Hitch said:

Really, please dial the hyperbole down a bit. None of these kids' names have been published AFAIK except the doofus whose parents hired a PR firm to create a new narrative. They will be fine. As a Catholic, I find their behavior in the various videos to be repugnant. It would be a great opportunity to reflect on what they did and do some introspection. I am not holding my breath.

I guess it is possible that there are people who will look past Trump separating thousands of children at the border from their parents (some of whom were then deported) and vote for him because some entitled brat was not given the benefit of the doubt by people on social media. However, I don't think this event will even be a drop in the proverbial bucket by 2020. Remember how the Kavanaugh outrage was going to carry the GOP to victory in 2018. And that was right before an actual election, not 22 months before one.

Anybody who has lived on the east coast has probably been exposed to the black israeli trolls. The school chaperones deserve most of the blame for this situation IMO.

I guess you live in a different planet than me, one that didn't carry the infamous trump rallies where he and a LOT of the crowd, openly advocated violence, even death, to anybody that disagreed with them. Do a google-foo and see what has happened to kavanaugh's accusers..more than a few 'death threats'..gee, for telling the truth about another trump scumbag. Look up the interview of some toothless trash who wanted Clinton to be assassinated if she were elected..

Fascism takes on many faces, many forms..BUT, look at the hats..THAT'S where their hatred has been reinforced. At the very top with the racist in chief. They identify with the ignorant pig in the big chair.

If these 'kids' didn't want to be on national TV, maybe not wear the hats, not taunt a native american, not stand there smirking when that great big video camera is 2 feet from your right ear..these young turds knew exactly what they were doing. making trump proud..

The Hitch said:

Yep ... all good points.

The Left’s drama queen island faux aghastness ... will hurt them. Thick as a brick.

Bustedknuckle said:
I guess you live in a different planet than me, one that didn't carry the infamous trump rallies where he and a LOT of the crowd, openly advocated violence, even death, to anybody that disagreed with them. Do a google-foo and see what has happened to kavanaugh's accusers..more than a few 'death threats'..gee, for telling the truth about another trump scumbag. Look up the interview of some toothless trash who wanted Clinton to be assassinated if she were elected..

Fascism takes on many faces, many forms..BUT, look at the hats..THAT'S where their hatred has been reinforced. At the very top with the racist in chief. They identify with the ignorant pig in the big chair.

If these 'kids' didn't want to be on national TV, maybe not wear the hats, not taunt a native american, not stand there smirking when that great big video camera is 2 feet from your right ear..these young turds knew exactly what they were doing. making trump proud..
There was also an issue recently in Minnesota where a suburban high school student body dressed up in MAGA gear when their basketball team played an inner city team who protested the anthem by staying in the locker room for it. I think there is definitely a message being sent with that kind of expression. Maybe to them and the Covington kids it is just trolling for the sake of it. Maybe it is more than that. And within the population of kids, there is probably a broad spectrum of intent. But the saintly response is laughable.

"We're a Catholic school," Sandmann said. "They don't tolerate racism, and none of my classmates are racist people."

The Hitch said:
jmdirt said:
The Hitch said:

I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't put words in my mouth.

Many of the boys said and did things that prove that they are not nice kids, and their parents are supporting them. I didn't say that their lives should be ruined. Karma is more powerful than twitter though.

Re:

aphronesis said:
Yeah, although I suspect that the sheer abstraction blunts comprehension of the reality for a lot of people. And because it’s only quantified.
How would, though, a more equitable society and world consume? More responsibly? Less detrimental to environmental concerns? I mean it all seems like a race to Bengodi, while nobody has ever asked what does the bent on an accumulation of wealth mean for the future? Of course happy downsizing is anathama.

Bustedknuckle said:
The Hitch said:
jmdirt said:
The Hitch said:

In a week nobody will even remember this BUT a bunch of entitled white kids, with a bunch of 'maga' hats, hassling some native americans..gee..and the trump soldiers aren't racist arsewholes??..

Regardless of the kid's and other's walkback and trump's twitter BS, these little shites knew exactly what they were doing and why..
CNN's Jake Tapper obtained a statement on Sunday from Nick Sandmann, a junior at Covington Catholic High School, who said he is the student in the video. Sandmann said he was trying to defuse a tense situation and denied insinuations that anyone in the crowd was acting out of racism or hatred.
Bullcrappola...he knew what he was doing..being stupid in public..
Why do you say they are entitled? What do you base that on.

And why is it so important for you and everyone on the modern left to always make sure the word "white" is next to "entitled . To pair the two together. Is that just the way you view white people?

Ps, you dismiss the story as - people will forget in a week. Err only because they were proved innocent of what they were accused of. If the later videos didn't emerge, this could have gotten wsy uglier.

djpbaltimore said:
The Hitch said:

Really, please dial the hyperbole down a bit. None of these kids' names have been published AFAIK except the doofus whose parents hired a PR firm to create a new narrative. They will be fine. As a Catholic, I find their behavior in the various videos to be repugnant. It would be a great opportunity to reflect on what they did and do some introspection. I am not holding my breath.

I guess it is possible that there are people who will look past Trump separating thousands of children at the border from their parents (some of whom were then deported) and vote for him because some entitled brat was not given the benefit of the doubt by people on social media. However, I don't think this event will even be a drop in the proverbial bucket by 2020. Remember how the Kavanaugh outrage was going to carry the GOP to victory in 2018. And that was right before an actual election, not 22 months before one.

Anybody who has lived on the east coast has probably been exposed to the black israeli trolls. The school chaperones deserve most of the blame for this situation IMO.
It is not hyperbole. I saw plenty of calls for violence against the kids, or any kids who attended the school, and calls for their future careers to be sabotaged. This included plenty of authors with blue checkmark.

Not too mention the thousands upon thousands of accusations of racism and bigotry leveled at the kids from around the country and world. Based on absolutely nothing. Shrug that off as if its nothing, go on.

But i know you like to stay in a bubble so I guess you didn't see any of the hate against these kids. Those who you read would have seen that as an inconvenient truth not worth worrying you with.

Well, if they had a friggin blue checkmark by their name, that changes everything. I hear that grants a person veto power over college admissions and the ability to work for a living.

The kids doing the tomahawk chop is now considered 'absolutely nothing'? I thought you knew the difference between evidence and proof?

These kids have been martyred by the right for acting like a bunch of d-bags. I feel bad for the ones who did nothing. But spare me the bubble talk. Many of them should be ashamed of their behavior. The actions of others does not absolve one of one's own transgressions. A lot of the media types have apologized. I have seen zero accountability from Covington.

If anything, the fascist Catholic kids, as supporters of a fascist president, now understand that there's pushback from the disenfranchised. At a certain point the mobilization and/or radicalization of the latter has been a foregone conclusion, precisely because what "made America great" was at their expense. Evidently those boys were too stupid, and consequently daft, to have gotten this point. So chanting the tomahawk anthem at a native demonstration was not only foolish, but intentionally provoking. Boys assuming such a political position, for that is exactly what it was (and assertions of "innocent fun" are merely base and repugnant), suddenly found themselves in a grownup world. It's time for boys to man-up and take accountability for entering the social malaise within their political camp of choice. They weren't just 'playing nice' and thus got what they deserved: that is, unexpectedly becoming drawn into an ugly social backlash decidedly more serious and less puerile than their own sense of political decency.

The Covington Kid crisis is not..if you don't remember doing really f-ing stupid things as a teenage boy..you have an exceptionally bad memory..or you were never there.
If you were every chaparoned by a person that allowed you to walk headlong into harms way and you are reading this then you are as lucky as this high school junior and his pals.
The idea that some teens could be allowed to mix it up a Crips,Bloods,KKK or Black Israelite' s or Hell's Angels is crazy. Adults were supervising them..? What the..
A dress code of "Black lives don't matter" t-shirts, MAGA hats or shirts..swastika ball caps, all should have been out of bounds....
If you are going to a Catholic school w a heritage of sexual abuse and child abuse..which all schools associated w the Catholic church have in spades..and a Catholic legacy of taking indigenous culture,trashing it and punishing the people into following the church..and after that you can break into some theme song complete with tomahawk gestures and chants..you should probably get into another school and church..and at the very least..if you are from Covington and a tense situation arises make sure that the people in charge of keeping you save know what that is..
A high school junior didn't put his future into flux the idiot adults did that.

I don't buy strict liability falling exclusively upon the adults in charge. The problem is the lads to own too and, yes, I remember quite well that by 16 years I was fully aware of the consequences of my actions, exactly as I knew the political and social intentions behind them. The real fault of the adults in the US is convincing them that they have no responsibility, because "just kids," for what in reality they grasp fully: their own intentions. In Italy 14 year-olds on the left are encouraged, as a right of passage, to occupy the schools. Inevitably the black shirts are egged on to take up the beating stick. Thus quickly one becomes aware of the game at stake and, so, no unforeseen outcomes.

You are correct these are not tiny children but instead developed and capable teens so I agree and take your point.
In the US as in most places in the world I have visited or lived local knowledge is critical. When I first moved to NYC there were a couple of militant groups that staged near the subway entry and exit stairs and walkways..I was scared for my safety always and more than once. Well beyond any intimidation I had experienced previously in my entire life.
A group would be just outside the Atlantic Ave train station in Brooklyn..I'm front of Hansen Place..a building that years later Magic Johnson would develop into luxury apartments..
The group would be dressed in long flowing robes e large wooden staffs and beating drums and screaming..not 2 minutes would go by without some "white devil..blah,blah,something" would be yelled at passersby..
These guys scared me uptown ..in Brooklyn and used to now and then by near Penn or down in Union Sq..
My experience is well before Trump..and in my opinion things are much more tense now..
In the NY Post,Daily News and NY Times there are frequent stories of people that make a career of intentional conflict with the police and citizens. Getting paid for police misteps..after conflicts occur..
These are dangerous people.
Their behavior is criminal in 99% of American communities.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS