• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

U.S. Politics

Page 2450 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
There was a girl shot recently and the authorities are going on a hypothesis of an accidental shooting of a person while someone was illegally hunting.
Guns do have many purposes..most are not sinister. So the idea that any group government or otherwise is resisting a public health discussion on guns is criminal by itself.
Swing sets and swimming pools have government meetings on safety standards.
And now we are watching a tsunami of vaping products harming people,often children. The people we elect to oversee issues like this are too old,too busy , to indebted to the job and the right thing.
Guns are a dangerous product..as dangerous as artificial sweeteners or lawn darts..
We are way ahead of ourselves. Our government is still arguing about people w abusive and violent behavior owning and operating guns.they decided recently that punching your wife or girlfriend shouldn't disqualify you from having a gun(s).and we pay people to make decisions like this.

On the subject of shootings, there was a shooting at UNC-Charlotte yesterday. Last I saw, 2 dead and 4 more injured. Now I did not actually read any of the articles and should actually go look up the report from one of the local TV stations. The only question I have about it is was the gunman another student OR someone who had no business being on campus in the first place. Biggest reason for that question is the location of that University. The University boarders a bad area of Charlotte. (I used to live in Charlotte and know the area around the University.)

So, the Baltimore mayor has just resigned. Her crime was using her office to enrich herself by selling self-published children's books as a side hustle to places that she had leverage over. Relating back to the swamp comment above. The only way to drain the swamp is to hold leaders accountable regardless of party. Good riddance.

Head-to-head @CNN 2020 poll among whites without a college degree:

Trump +13% over Biden
Trump +15% over Buttigieg
Trump +16% over O'Rourke
Trump +17% over Sanders
Trump +28% over Harris
Trump +34% over Warren
Trump +37% over Clinton '16
I sense a trend. One day after yet another white male enters the Dem primary.

I gotta say that this liberal media run w white supremacist and racists in our military is dumb. This is a stupid parallel to the religious right talking about being gay.
The population as a whole has these people,why deny reality.
There have always been racists and white supremacists in the military I served with them,drank w them. There have always been gays in the military,on sports teams,in our schools and churches..it's part of life.
Why make a headline about something that is only news because of social media?
There is a story of some Marines in San Diego having a Klan meeting on base

https://lawandcrime.com/race-relations/ku-klux-klan-group-previously-operated-openly-at-marine-corps-base-in-california/

Re:

Koronin said:
On the subject of shootings, there was a shooting at UNC-Charlotte yesterday. Last I saw, 2 dead and 4 more injured. Now I did not actually read any of the articles and should actually go look up the report from one of the local TV stations. The only question I have about it is was the gunman another student OR someone who had no business being on campus in the first place. Biggest reason for that question is the location of that University. The University boarders a bad area of Charlotte. (I used to live in Charlotte and know the area around the University.)
According to -
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article229889929.html
Trystan Andrew Terrell, a former student, was arrested on the UNCC campus in north Charlotte by Charlotte-Mecklenburg police after six people were shot inside a classroom. Police said Terrell was quickly apprehended after officers responded to an “active shooter” around 5:42 p.m. He had been a student in the class, but later withdrew, according to two sources.

Terrell was enrolled in three UNCC classes this semester before withdrawing, according to the source.

Terrell’s voter registration records show he listed an apartment address on Weddington Avenue, off East Seventh Street in Charlotte. But on Tuesday night, after the shooting, about 10 Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officers arrived at Novel NoDa, apartments in the North Davidson Avenue neighborhood, on East 36th Street.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-48145563
US jobless rate at lowest since 1969
but
The jobless rate fell from 3.8% to 3.6%, the US Labor Department said, the lowest since December 1969.

However, the fall was due to a large number of people - 490,000 - leaving the labour force during April.
The Federal Reserve chairman, Jerome Powell, (speaking to CBS television) has referred to "an unusually large number of people in their prime working years who are not in the labour force". There are a number of factors behind that but one possible contributor is a major US public health problem; the misuse of opioid drugs.

Trump buddy and well known rat[bleep]er Roger Stone really really really does not want to go to court
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/05/03/roger-stone-obstruction-1301631

Stone was charged in January with obstructing the House Intelligence Committee' investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 election, launched in early 2017, just after Trump took office. He was also charged with making five false statements to the committee and one count of witness tampering.

Re: Re:

Robert5091 said:
Koronin said:
According to -
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article229889929.html
Trystan Andrew Terrell, a former student, was arrested on the UNCC campus in north Charlotte by Charlotte-Mecklenburg police after six people were shot inside a classroom. Police said Terrell was quickly apprehended after officers responded to an “active shooter” around 5:42 p.m. He had been a student in the class, but later withdrew, according to two sources.

Terrell was enrolled in three UNCC classes this semester before withdrawing, according to the source.

Terrell’s voter registration records show he listed an apartment address on Weddington Avenue, off East Seventh Street in Charlotte. But on Tuesday night, after the shooting, about 10 Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officers arrived at Novel NoDa, apartments in the North Davidson Avenue neighborhood, on East 36th Street.

Thanks.

In the poll released April 30, Biden is shown with an impressive 24-point edge over Sanders, with 39% of voters saying they supported him, compared to just 15% for the Vermont senator. However, a Grit Post analysis of the results found that the poll largely excluded voters under the age of 50 in coming to that conclusion.
In the overall breakdown of how the CNN/SSRS poll arrived at the conclusion that Biden had 39% support to Sanders’ 15%, the age breakdown of respondents shows that the only data available was for ages 50 to 65+. The columns for ages 18-34 and 35-49 all read “N/A,” meaning there weren’t at least 125 people who were part of those age groups participating in the poll to provide an adequate enough representation of the greater U.S. population.
Confusingly, age breakdowns were included in the “how about” questions, but since respondents were not asked about Sanders in the “how about” section, his support amongst the 18-34 and 35-49 age demographics in that part of the survey was not revealed. In 2016, Sanders’ base was overwhelmingly made up of millennials and Gen-Xers. According to The Economist, Sanders won 70% of voters under 30 in the 2016 Democratic primaries and caucuses, and that number was even higher in some states. Despite losing the Pennsylvania primary, Sanders won 83% of voters under 30.
However, this wasn’t the only poll that was misrepresented. Recently, MSNBC inaccurately reported on a Monmouth poll in a graphic showing support for leading Democratic candidates among non-white voters. In the poll conducted between April 11 and April 15, Sanders had a narrow edge over Biden, with 27% of respondents saying they would vote for the Vermont senator, compared to just 25% of non-white voters saying they would vote for the former vice president.
https://gritpost.com/recent-poll-biden-confuses-distorts-support-bernie/

Robert5091 said:
I was just thinking that it will not be long before the US goes the way of Rome and ends up with a strong man president who usurps power from Congress - Trump's already trying, now ...

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/05/04/democrats-executive-orders-2020-1301633
Democrats preview post-Trump plan: Executive orders

The 2020 presidential contenders are starting to point more frequently to the ambitious policies they’ll ram through on their own.
Here we go -
https://www.axios.com/trump-call-to-extend-term-2-years-for-time-stolen-bcfb61a7-c521-47ed-9406-7aee46e523b1.html
President Trump retweeted Liberty University President Jerry Falwell’s Twitter post calling for the first term of his presidency to be extended by 2 years for "time stolen" and added his own thoughts on the matter Sunday.

Despite the tremendous success that I have had as President, including perhaps the greatest ECONOMY and most successful first two years of any President in history, they have stollen two years of my (our) Presidency (Collusion Delusion) that we will never be able to get back.....
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 5, 2019
Since Trump never loses, other people cheat instead, what happens in 2020 if Trump does not win? Will he try to go to the Supreme Court? Even if this is all normal Trump bluster and bs, it starts to put the idea out there, and could lead to some very dark places.

Re:

Merckx index said:
In the poll released April 30, Biden is shown with an impressive 24-point edge over Sanders, with 39% of voters saying they supported him, compared to just 15% for the Vermont senator. However, a Grit Post analysis of the results found that the poll largely excluded voters under the age of 50 in coming to that conclusion.
In the overall breakdown of how the CNN/SSRS poll arrived at the conclusion that Biden had 39% support to Sanders’ 15%, the age breakdown of respondents shows that the only data available was for ages 50 to 65+. The columns for ages 18-34 and 35-49 all read “N/A,” meaning there weren’t at least 125 people who were part of those age groups participating in the poll to provide an adequate enough representation of the greater U.S. population.
Confusingly, age breakdowns were included in the “how about” questions, but since respondents were not asked about Sanders in the “how about” section, his support amongst the 18-34 and 35-49 age demographics in that part of the survey was not revealed. In 2016, Sanders’ base was overwhelmingly made up of millennials and Gen-Xers. According to The Economist, Sanders won 70% of voters under 30 in the 2016 Democratic primaries and caucuses, and that number was even higher in some states. Despite losing the Pennsylvania primary, Sanders won 83% of voters under 30.
However, this wasn’t the only poll that was misrepresented. Recently, MSNBC inaccurately reported on a Monmouth poll in a graphic showing support for leading Democratic candidates among non-white voters. In the poll conducted between April 11 and April 15, Sanders had a narrow edge over Biden, with 27% of respondents saying they would vote for the Vermont senator, compared to just 25% of non-white voters saying they would vote for the former vice president.

A lot of good spin, but I think the problem for Sanders is that this is not some outlier poll. Look at the one out this weekend. Harvard Harris has Biden ahead of Sanders by 30 points too (44-14). The Q-poll released the same day as the CNN poll had Biden ahead by 27 points (38-11) and Sanders was even behind Warren by 1. The latest poll on NH has Biden ahead by 8 with Sanders tied with Buttigieg. I think some of the slump is the due to the prisoner voting blunder, but Sanders and his campaign need to regroup as there is plenty of time for Biden to implode. Also, a reminder that the majority of people who vote in the Dem primary are 50+.

Robert5091 said:
Robert5091 said:
I was just thinking that it will not be long before the US goes the way of Rome and ends up with a strong man president who usurps power from Congress - Trump's already trying, now ...

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/05/04/democrats-executive-orders-2020-1301633
Democrats preview post-Trump plan: Executive orders

The 2020 presidential contenders are starting to point more frequently to the ambitious policies they’ll ram through on their own.
Here we go -
https://www.axios.com/trump-call-to-extend-term-2-years-for-time-stolen-bcfb61a7-c521-47ed-9406-7aee46e523b1.html
President Trump retweeted Liberty University President Jerry Falwell’s Twitter post calling for the first term of his presidency to be extended by 2 years for "time stolen" and added his own thoughts on the matter Sunday.

Despite the tremendous success that I have had as President, including perhaps the greatest ECONOMY and most successful first two years of any President in history, they have stollen two years of my (our) Presidency (Collusion Delusion) that we will never be able to get back.....
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 5, 2019
Since Trump never loses, other people cheat instead, what happens in 2020 if Trump does not win? Will he try to go to the Supreme Court? Even if this is all normal Trump bluster and bs, it starts to put the idea out there, and could lead to some very dark places.

I don't believe he'll leave of his own accord and will have to be dragged out by US Marshalls. I'm still waiting for him to try to cancel the elections.

djpbaltimore said:
Merckx index said:

A lot of good spin, but I think the problem for Sanders is that this is not some outlier poll. Look at the one out this weekend. Harvard Harris has Biden ahead of Sanders by 30 points too (44-14). The Q-poll released the same day as the CNN poll had Biden ahead by 27 points (38-11) and Sanders was even behind Warren by 1. The latest poll on NH has Biden ahead by 8 with Sanders tied with Buttigieg. I think some of the slump is the due to the prisoner voting blunder, but Sanders and his campaign need to regroup as there is plenty of time for Biden to implode. Also, a reminder that the majority of people who vote in the Dem primary are 50+.
I think you can actually say that about both the Dem and GOP primary. Also the general elections usually have a higher percentage of people 50+ voting than younger. It's amazing how so many younger people don't vote even though they will live with the last effects of elections for a longer time.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/mnuchin-rejects-democrats-demand-to-hand-over-trumps-tax-returns-all-but-ensuring-legal-battle/2019/05/06/5483f8ac-7022-11e9-9eb4-0828f5389013_story.html
Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin on Monday told House Democrats he would not furnish President Trump’s tax returns despite their legal request, the latest move by Trump administration officials to shield the president from congressional investigations.

Mnuchin, in a letter to House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Richard Neal (D-Mass.), said he had consulted with the Justice Department and that they had concluded that it would not be lawful for the Trump administration to turn over the tax returns because of potential violations of privacy.

Mnuchin added that requests from Congress “must serve a legitimate legislative purpose” and that the request from Democrats does not.

A number of legal experts have said it would be unprecedented for Mnuchin to refuse to turn over the tax returns, as the power for lawmakers to seek the returns is written explicitly in a 1924 law.
The chairmen of the House Ways and Means Committee and the Senate Finance Committee have had the authority since 1924 to obtain the tax returns of any American, and the law stipulates that the Treasury secretary “shall furnish” the information once it is requested. This law was put in place during the Harding administration because of financial improprieties that stemmed from the Teapot Dome scandal.

Trump is the first president since the Nixon administration to refuse to provide his tax returns. Democrats have accused Trump of shielding embarrassing information, but Republicans have said Trump is under no obligation to provide financial records and that voters decided the records were not important when they elected him to office.

“Big difference [between] legitimate congressional oversight & using the IRS as a political weapon,” Sen. Charles E. Grassley (R-Iowa), chair of the Senate finance committee, said on Twitter.
The joke here is that previous Presidents have used the IRS to get at political opponents. Trump seems also to have got his "Roy Cohn" at the Justice Dept.

What the heck though is Trump scared of? Just the fact that he's not as rich as he says?

What comes around ... part N to the Nth
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/may/5/william-barr-uses-eric-holders-defense-against-con/
As Attorney General William P. Barr works to fend off an aggressive Congress demanding more information, he has turned to a surprising source for justification: former Obama official Eric H. Holder Jr., who seven years ago found himself in much the same position.

Mr. Holder’s justification for thwarting the House — then under Republican control — was the first piece of evidence Mr. Barr used last week in his letter letting House Democrats know he would not meet their deadline for complying with a subpoena.

At issue is the unredacted copy of special counsel Robert Mueller’s report on the 2016 election.
Should Mr. Nadler be unsatisfied and pursue a contempt citation, Mr. Barr would be only the second attorney general who has faced such ignominy.

The first was Mr. Holder, who found himself on the wrong side of a congressional vote in 2012 after he thwarted an investigation into the Fast and Furious gun operation, in which federal agents allowed guns to be sold to traffickers. The weapons began turning up at crime scenes, including the ambush death of U.S. Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry.

The Republican-led House Oversight and Government Reform Committee demanded documents about the administration’s public relations strategy, but Mr. Holder balked. President Obama belatedly claimed executive privilege, and the House voted 255-67 to hold Mr. Holder in criminal contempt of Congress. It then voted 258-95 to pursue a civil judgment ordering Mr. Holder to comply.

The House went to courts to try to obtain a declaration to enforce the demand for documents.

House Republicans won the first round in court, when a judge ruled they could bring their case. A later decision was more nuanced, upholding the president’s right to shield some information by executive privilege but ordering Mr. Holder to be more precise in what documents could be shielded.

By then, years had elapsed.

The Trump Justice Department last week, in refusing to meet Mr. Nadler’s original deadline for the unredacted Mueller report, cited Mr. Holder’s 2012 legal opinion justifying the withholding of Fast and Furious documents.

https://www.politico.eu/article/mike-pompeo-cancels-berlin-visit/
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo abruptly cancelled a planned visit to Berlin Tuesday citing "pressing issues."

Pompeo was due to meet Foreign Minister Heiko Maas in the German capital on Tuesday afternoon followed by a summit with Chancellor Angela Merkel after 6 p.m. The Foreign Office said the conflicts in Syria and Ukraine were up for discussion during the meetings.

"Unfortunately, we must reschedule the Berlin meetings due to pressing issues. We look forward to rescheduling this important set of meetings. The secretary looks forward to being in Berlin soon," the U.S. embassy in Berlin cited a State Department spokesperson as saying.
Something's up.

Update - http://tass.com/politics/1057296
Russian President Vladimir Putin can meet with US Secretary of State Michael Pompeo in Sochi on May 14, Kremlin Spokesman Dmitry Peskov said.

He recalled that the talks between Pompeo and Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov were scheduled to be held in Sochi on May 14.

"That’s the main thing planned for Pompeo in Sochi, but we do not rule out that Pompeo will be received by the Russian president following these negotiations," Peskov said.

That will be the second Lavrov-Pompeo meeting this month. They held talks in Finland on May 6, which lasted about an hour and made it possible, according to Russia’s top diplomat, to take a step forward in continuation of the May 3 telephone conversation between Russian President Vladimir Putin and his US counterpart Donald Trump initiated by Washington.
Trump still wants his Trump Tower in Moscow?

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/may/6/omarosa-trump-admin-destroyed-five-boxes-of-her-ev/
Omarosa Manigault Newman on Saturday accused the Trump administration of destroying five boxes of evidence she had left behind for special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation.

“I think it’s important to realize that very early on in the administration, we got letters directing us to preserve all information related to the Mueller investigation, all investigations, any information, any emails, any correspondence. We had a clear directive to preserve those documents, preserve emails, preserve text messages,” she said in an interview with MSNBC’s “PoliticsNation with Al Sharpton.”

“So I thought it was very interesting that after my discussion with General Kelly in the Situation Room when I went to take my things, I was instructed that I had to leave seven boxes of documents that came from the campaign, the inauguration, the transition, and they would not allow me to get them,” Ms. Manigault Newman said, referring to former Chief of Staff John F. Kelly.

“It was seven boxes of documents, and in my emails, they only referenced two, which leads me to believe that they’ve destroyed the other five,” she said.

When asked by Mr. Sharpton to confirm her accusation that the Trump administration was destroying evidence, she responded: “Oh, there’s no question.”
Quelle surprise! Obstruction of justice, maybe?

Koronin said:
I think you can actually say that about both the Dem and GOP primary. Also the general elections usually have a higher percentage of people 50+ voting than younger. It's amazing how so many younger people don't vote even though they will live with the last effects of elections for a longer time.
Yes, I agree. It is even more pronounced in the GOP. Here are the numbers for participation in the 2016 Dem primaries.

18-29 (17%)
30-44 (23%)
45-64 (40%)
65+ (21%)

I can only find state by state numbers for the 2016 GOP, but the <45 crowd only makes up about a third of the GOP primary electorate.

https://pos.org/democratic-primary-voter-demographic-shifts-and-candidate-coalitions/
https://www.cnn.com/election/2016/primaries/polls

I think a lot of times that young people don't feel that they have a stake in the outcome. Senior citizens on the other hand....

The first of many female children who will be FORCED to suffer dire conseqences of the Ohio heartbeat abortion ban. This law has ZERO exceptions for rape or health of the female and may not have an exception for the life of the female. The 11 year old rape victim under this law will be FORCED to gestate and birth a fetus that she is NOT capable of carrying full term, yet is required to by law. This is what the far right is trying to do.

https://buckeyestate.news/2019/05/03/police-ohio-man-raped-11-year-old-who-is-now-pregnant/

Re:

Koronin said:
The first of many female children who will be FORCED to suffer dire conseqences of the Ohio heartbeat abortion ban. This law has ZERO exceptions for rape or health of the female and may not have an exception for the life of the female. The 11 year old rape victim under this law will be FORCED to gestate and birth a fetus that she is NOT capable of carrying full term, yet is required to by law. This is what the far right is trying to do.

https://buckeyestate.news/2019/05/03/police-ohio-man-raped-11-year-old-who-is-now-pregnant/
Its a good ting those religious idiotphuques are saving the world for us! :rolleyes:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts