U.S. Politics

Page 2467 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I won't name names, but on the eve of 2016 election, there were a lot of Trump voters in this thread. Also a few who were staunchly pro- 2nd amendment. Where have those people gone?

I understand that it is tiresome to defend Trump on a daily basis. From my perspective, it is tiresome to complain about his abuses of power, incompetence, and corruption on a daily basis. If you can't see what is happening around you, I don't see much value in advocating the position. That is why talking to someone across the spectrum is often overrated IMO. Too often, it all falls on deaf ears. I live in a suburban Trump pocket, where people want to cut off the commuter rail service because they think minorities take the train down from Baltimore to steal and deal drugs, then head back into the city. The talking points are no better in voice than they are in written form. Sampling different news outlets is worthwhile.

There is something strange and scary. Don't know if it's part of any echo chamber effect.
Trump is actually coming up with a plan were he will decide if an animal is important enough to him,to his views on economics outlook and decide if the animal(s) will be "allowed" to go extinct ..
Trump is formulating policy and is finalizing measures were he will decide if an animal or habitat is too expensive( not worth) to protect.
The world,our children will be told a story of a lost animal that President Trump thought wasn't worth living anymore.

There is something strange and scary. Don't know if it's part of any echo chamber effect.
Trump is actually coming up with a plan were he will decide if an animal is important enough to him,to his views on economics outlook and decide if the animal(s) will be "allowed" to go extinct ..
Trump is formulating policy and is finalizing measures were he will decide if an animal or habitat is too expensive( not worth) to protect.
The world,our children will be told a story of a lost animal that President Trump thought wasn't worth living anymore.
he really can't comprehend the environmental picture...
that when climate change is in full swing, when nature is destroyed, and the seas rise and submerge both New York and his Florida golf course, that Baron won't have anything of value.., and the barrels of oil and piles of banknotes Donny will have left him, will be utterly useless to him...

It'll take years to unfook what trump and his clown car buddies have fooked up. Thankfully he's only around for a MAXIMUM of 8 years..and hopefully only 525 days more before this incompetent arse goes away.

I really wish I felt this way..only so many more days to start repairing,to start healing. As our environment sends us emergency signals by the second, the notices don't say that things can be repaired. Some of the things,places and creatures will be gone forever. Dead..extinct.
to watch Trump roll the dice with our preserves,our parks and protected spaces using the flimsy evidence for his risk reward rational is discouraging and disgusting. To contemplate that nature will repair itself, or humans can repair it after a dangerous,dirty disaster of an economic experiment is naive.
Mining,drilling and logging are often a one time shot,once it's gone that's forever..I have personally seen things in Kentucky,and the Virginians that made me sick. As a boy motorcycle races I remember stopping w my brother to observe the disaster that Phelps-Dodge did to our,to my Arizona desert.
The way Trump thinks about the planet and the people qualifies him as a dangerous monster..

It's good to see Hitch has managed to get others to start arguing over the political stance of talking heads and which media outlets "left" and "right" politicians should attend rather than discuss the actual politics. I guess trainspotting is contagious.

"Liberals in the U.S. often say the Trump presidency is Not Normal. And yeah, it’s a killer-clown horror show. But the truth is that from most outsider perspectives, there is nothing about U.S. politics that is normal — particularly the interminable length of campaigns. Normal countries have federal elections that consume two, maybe three months of people’s political lives once every four to five years; Canada caps federal campaigns at 50 days, Japan at 12. In the U.S., on the other hand, there’s a total of about nine months in every four-year cycle when politics is not consumed by either a presidential or midterm horserace. It’s a spectacle that comes at a steep price. The relentless process of picking electoral winners sucks up intellectual energy, media airtime, movement muscle, and boatloads of money that are badly needed elsewhere. Like organizing to stop war with Iran, for instance. Or supporting movements trying to free migrants from Trump’s concentration camps. Or figuring out what a transformative Green New Deal should look like on the ground. Or building international alliances with people in countries facing their own hate-filled authoritarian strongmen.

some kind of death match.

Last edited:
I can discuss my opinion of Joe R, without forgetting that the planet is giving us a big middle finger. I can think about those two things and still be aware that McConnell's acts are criminal. I don't lose sight of those three things when I discuss health care, education, foreign relations, economy, capitalism...

How is it that gobbler neck can act with no regard for the constitution?!

I don't think that America 's mind really thinks about after..when people look at us and we look at ourselves, the question burns..nobody wants this..nobody is benefiting from mass murder as a cultural norm..why don't they do something about the gun murder problem?
Moscow Mitch is only part of the problem. The amount of money spent on our elections,the mountains of cash spent to unfairly influence our laws,our policy is criminal..not sort of criminal, bald faced wrong.
The National Rifle Association..NRA is a registered non-profit organization? The leader spent @$200,000 dollars on clothing and nobody is in jail?
The NRA President calls Donald Trump..our President directly on the phone to discuss policy days after the latest mass shooting? Wtf?
campaign finance reform is 10000% more important than immigration reform.
Tort reform is 1000% more important than immigration reform..
Term limits are 100% more important than immigration reform..
I think that this song and it's singer are going to bring the country together..absolutely no doubt in my mind..!!!

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w2Ov5jzm3j8

RE: Immigration/ICE raids
dt and his crew don't want anybody coming in who can't/won't work because they will just suck off of the welfare/healthcare system. Fair enough. So why round up people who are working? OK, dt and his crew don't like these people, but the entire community has been effected. The packing plant has been effected (last I read, they filled about 1/5th of the positions...mostly with people from outside of the community).

If the legal immigration process was 'better' it would be easier to get on the side of 'hey, there is a legal process', but when that process can/will take years...

RE: Religious Republicans who don't believe in climate change
I've heard it many times, maybe even on here, but its worth repeating that a lot of them believe in a supreme being without any proof, yet they completely deny climate change even though there are mountains of proof.

RE: Immigration/ICE raids
dt and his crew don't want anybody coming in who can't/won't work because they will just suck off of the welfare/healthcare system. Fair enough. So why round up people who are working? OK, dt and his crew don't like these people, but the entire community has been effected. The packing plant has been effected (last I read, they filled about 1/5th of the positions...mostly with people from outside of the community).

If the legal immigration process was 'better' it would be easier to get on the side of 'hey, there is a legal process', but when that process can/will take years...

RE: Religious Republicans who don't believe in climate change
I've heard it many times, maybe even on here, but its worth repeating that a lot of them believe in a supreme being without any proof, yet they completely deny climate change even though there are mountains of proof.
Cuz trump and the rest of his clowns just want to hurt these people as much as possible so that it 'may' deter these awful people of color..Herr trump is worried, like his fascist base(and S Miller) that they threaten his 'white' culture...why they don't prosecute the owners(bribes a plenty)

They think trump is a religious person too..in spite of his profane, ugly, sexist past and present..

Hitch is being melodramatic and hyperbolic as per usual. Maybe he can share a post where anybody here suggested that Rogan was a Nazi for starters. I won't hold my breath.

It is interesting that the article posted above does not actually cite one example of someone criticizing Sanders for going on Rogan's show. Like what does the following actually mean? Arose from where or from whom? Randos on twitter?
Also Gavin McInnis.

What do Fox news viewers and Rogan's viewers have in common? I am going to go out on a limb and suggest 'whiteness'. Vastly different age brackets of course. I think Joe Rogan is a funny comedian and enjoy his commentary on MMA. I don't listen to his podcast because I feel his views really personify the pseudo intellectual BS marketed as deep thinking that characterizes the INTELLECTUAL DARK WEB and that mostly only makes sense to people who are high. JMO of course and YMMV.
You don't know what Rogan says since you don't watch it, but its psudo intellectual? Interesting. You know this how?

As for criticizing Rogan for having white viewers, really?

1 How do you even know that's true? Show me the demographics.
2 As far as his guests go, I'm pretty certain Black people are way over represented compared to 10-15% of the population and Latinos around 15% or higher.
3 Even if it was true (and it probably isn't since you just made it up) why would that be negative? He doesn't control who his audience is.

I guess its the same story as always though. I believe in what MLK said - hope for a world in which people are judged by the content of their character and not their skin.
And you with every breath seem determined to judge every little thing on skin color. I don't think I'll convince you and you'll certainly never convince me.

Who criticized Rogan for having white viewers? Can you read, hitch? I thought that would be a prerequisite for a journalist.

You also may be aware of social media where clips from shows are aired where people can hear segments without watching hours of guys talking. Try it sometime.

It is funny that you ask me for proof with one side of your mouth, then make a 100% unverified claim out of the other.

As for the mlk thing, give it a rest. You aren't fooling anybody here.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2O-iLk1G_ng&fbclid=IwAR2wE8k2X1C7AQ5hwv6LIgDVXNoEwcsdSmuhXhbSPPouib9PercxUHZPQKw

Quoting King out of context and acting as if that was the sum of his positions on racism is a bit disingenuous. Some might say reactionary and juvenile.

Last edited:
Throughout my adolescent and adult life I have listened to many repeat the phrase " it's the economy stupid " w my basic understanding of the slogan,if the economy is doing Ok or your leadership is beneficial to the economy you are favored. I still think it's true.
really not sure why the Democrats would not force Trump 's hand,to ask,insist at every opportunity to get Donald and his circle to discuss their views on the economy. Lowering of the Fed rate is a sign of weakness. Blinking on China..again Trump is being tasked with explaining..are tariffs hurting American consumers or not? You said for years that they had no harmful effects and suddenly you say you delayed the action because it may effect back to school and Christmas shoppers..? So what is the real story?
And other basics..strong dollar, weak everything else means American exports are more expensive..wasn't this what your entire policy was about?

this is one I hope people really push..everyone has too many,maybe clears too many bowls and makes phone calls,drunk texts..$60 snack bill..I get it.
Greenland said thanks but no thanks. A hostile take over in business is different than between countries..hope someone is explaining this to Dopey Don..but maybe not.

Mr.President,after Greenland said absolute no to any purchase plan. Why is pursuing this using taxpayer money a good idea?
aren't there more important things to worry about?
Like rapper convictions in Denmark? Or windmills killing birds..? Or getting the dirt on how the Clinton's killed Epstein?

I don't think that America 's mind really thinks about after..when people look at us and we look at ourselves, the question burns..nobody wants this..nobody is benefiting from mass murder as a cultural norm..why don't they do something about the gun murder problem?
someone is benefitting from it - there's no money in it to stop it...
it's the same basic principal in the above article posted by Aphro on why neoliberalism is to 'blame' for there being no action in the late 80's on climate change...
no one is really doing anything on climate change, because there's no real money in it to do so

If you really look at the net-net of guns\ gun violence in America it's a huge drain, a complete loser in every way for every American..except from a gun industry perspective.
Sell a product that sends people to the doctor,surgery,grave yard, physiologist,changes the way people go to public events,church,school,the beach,the park,the movies,everything,everywhere....

And that is just part of the effects of the gun purchases on people who don't own the guns.
Tree falling in the woods..if @10,000 semi auto rifles are sold for @$1000 per.and 1 of those guns is used for a Wal-Mart like murder spree, what is the profit-loss statement look like? Even if you just start counting at bullet 1, it's really expensive for everyone. What did all that happened in El Paso cost so far? Police,fire,ambulances,medical costs,burial,counseling,investigators,court costs,ect..how can having these objects be a benefit for non gun owners?I am sure I am missing dozens of obvious expenses related to the ownership and operations of the weapons by society.

If you really look at the net-net of guns\ gun violence in America it's a huge drain, a complete loser in every way for every American..except from a gun industry perspective.
Sell a product that sends people to the doctor,surgery,grave yard, physiologist,changes the way people go to public events,church,school,the beach,the park,the movies,everything,everywhere....

And that is just part of the effects of the gun purchases on people who don't own the guns.
Tree falling in the woods..if @10,000 semi auto rifles are sold for @$1000 per.and 1 of those guns is used for a Wal-Mart like murder spree, what is the profit-loss statement look like? Even if you just start counting at bullet 1, it's really expensive for everyone. What did all that happened in El Paso cost so far? Police,fire,ambulances,medical costs,burial,counseling,investigators,court costs,ect..how can having these objects be a benefit for non gun owners?I am sure I am missing dozens of obvious expenses related to the ownership and operations of the weapons by society.
wrong angle...
there's no profit to be made by banning them, but a massive drain on govt expenses in rounding them all up - going out and finding them, not to mention the risks for ATF folks attempting to take them from hillbillies/rednecks that will shoot back chanting "from my cold dead hands"... then what do you do with the pile of 400million guns that gets collected?
if there was money to be made by banning and confiscating, then they'd be into it like flies on s....

Last edited:
This is NRA gold!!! Who is suggesting anything about rounding up(confiscating) anything..ever!!?
This is like antique cars..cars wo catalytic converter,seat belts,padded dash,ect. Let it be. It will age out.
No need to demand that the 48 Chevy is off the road..if automatic weapons were banned from today. The problem would not be over but it would be reduced by @10000000000%.
You don't see any history of people owning these guns for @8+ years as any problem.
People plan their crimes..
This issue has some pretty simple components. Ban ammo not the guns.regulate the ammunition as a start. Just like old cars..no knee jerk needed. Just no new automatic weapons..no new cars without seatbelts or emissions..this can be a select small group by design.
Nobody is carrying an AK47 for dove,deer or ducks. Nobody needs an AR15 in their purse or glove box. Nobody needs a 50caliber anything because they have a squirrel problem.
this schit is common sense

Nobody is being put out from gun policy. You can own a Volvo or an F150 and drive your kid to school..go to 7-11 for a Slurpee.
You can't drive a top fuel funny car to perform the same routine activities.
all cars..all guns are not created equal..saying so is silly..stupid also.
Soon patriot parents will be asking for access to drop their second grader off using a tank or helicopter and act as if being denied is un-American

If you scroll back you'll see that I have suggested that several times: If there is no ammo, the guns are no threat. Yes, there are ammo stockpiles and people who reload, but in time it will be really difficult for wackos to get their hands on ammo.

Buy back programs only get the guns from the people who aren't a threat.

What but back programs!!? In NY,NJ,CA and PA they had buy back programs that gave the person turning in the gun, a prepaid credit card. With a good dose of healthy scepticism..it turns out that some law enforcement tracked the use of the cards..so ,so much for anonymity,and no questions asked. Buy back programs are only a tiny level above a police sponsored scrap metal campaign.
California is experimenting with ID for ammo purchases, too soon to tell.
The idea that we manufactured other dangerous products,lead paint,cars,asbestos everything,cigarettes,ect..we identified there were problems and took action. Doesn't mean any body is tearing down your house because of risky paint or a hazardous water heater exhaust stack. Nobody is rounding up 57 Chevys for the scrap yard because we of no seat belts,padded dash or a preference for leaded gas. We just deal with it as it comes. Time takes care of some of this stuff.
You can't go into a store and say give me a pack of Marlboro s made to the 1950's specifications, that product is no longer available.
People should be able to buy,use and enjoy guns. People(civilians) shouldn't be buying body armor,stun grenades and easy to modify weapons. They should not have access to 50cal anything.
Someplace inbetween here and the guy buying a shotgun to go duck hunting is middle ground. Buy back,confiscation and some kind of police state is the dream scenario for the NRA, Trump and guys carrying tiki torches chanting " Jews won't replace us"
Like the car example, we need seatbelts,padded dashes,bumpers, and windshields that don't shatter...but for guns.
Our country invented PornHub and In'n' Out Burger we can do anything

This story is peak 2019 America.
By the numbers, there is no bigger advocate of President Donald Trump on Facebook than The Epoch Times. The small New York-based nonprofit news outlet has spent more than $1.5 million on about 11,000 pro-Trump advertisements in the last six months, according to data from Facebook’s advertising archive — more than any organization outside of the Trump campaign itself, and more than most Democratic presidential candidates have spent on their own campaigns.
Former practitioners of Falun Gong told NBC News that believers think the world is headed toward a judgment day, where those labeled “communists” will be sent to a kind of hell, and those sympathetic to the spiritual community will be spared. Trump is viewed as a key ally in the anti-communist fight, former Epoch Times employees said.
Before 2016, The Epoch Times generally stayed out of U.S. politics, unless they dovetailed with Chinese interests. The publication’s recent ad strategy, coupled with a broader campaign to embrace social media and conservative U.S. politics — Trump in particular — has doubled The Epoch Times’ revenue, according to the organization’s tax filings, and pushed it to greater prominence in the broader conservative media world.
The paper’s “Spygate Special Coverage” section, which frequently sits atop its website, theorizes about a grand, yearslong plot in which former Obama and Clinton staffers, a handful of magazines and newspapers, private investigators and government bureaucrats plan to take down the Trump presidency.
https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/trump-qanon-impending-judgment-day-behind-facebook-fueled-rise-epoch-n1044121

Last edited:
What but back programs!!? In NY,NJ,CA and PA they had buy back programs that gave the person turning in the gun, a prepaid credit card. With a good dose of healthy scepticism..it turns out that some law enforcement tracked the use of the cards..so ,so much for anonymity,and no questions asked. Buy back programs are only a tiny level above a police sponsored scrap metal campaign.
California is experimenting with ID for ammo purchases, too soon to tell.
The idea that we manufactured other dangerous products,lead paint,cars,asbestos everything,cigarettes,ect..we identified there were problems and took action. Doesn't mean any body is tearing down your house because of risky paint or a hazardous water heater exhaust stack. Nobody is rounding up 57 Chevys for the scrap yard because we of no seat belts,padded dash or a preference for leaded gas. We just deal with it as it comes. Time takes care of some of this stuff.
You can't go into a store and say give me a pack of Marlboro s made to the 1950's specifications, that product is no longer available.
People should be able to buy,use and enjoy guns. People(civilians) shouldn't be buying body armor,stun grenades and easy to modify weapons. They should not have access to 50cal anything.
Someplace inbetween here and the guy buying a shotgun to go duck hunting is middle ground. Buy back,confiscation and some kind of police state is the dream scenario for the NRA, Trump and guys carrying tiki torches chanting " Jews won't replace us"
Like the car example, we need seatbelts,padded dashes,bumpers, and windshields that don't shatter...but for guns.
Our country invented PornHub and In'n' Out Burger we can do anything
same thing comes back on all this...
PornHub and the burger joint make squillions
Doing any of what you suggest doesn't, which is why no one's actively doing it.

As for rounding up your old chevies, no one's doing that for the same reason, no one's rounding up vintage WWI or II tommy machine guns... American's love them - cars n guns, as American as apple pie...
And I doubt that an Australian type gun buyback/confiscation is a "dream scenario" for the NRA - reckon they'd be pretty upset with something like that.

If every member of congress was going to profit from any of those gun control measures you mention, then the bills putting it in place would be passed before the ink was dry
just like saving the environment - far more profitable to destroy it, as Trump n Co are doing...

ASK THE COMMUNITY