U.S. Politics

Page 2469 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
His is completely stupid! Its not like these companies can start in the USA tomorrow. There is no infrastructure to manufacture these things in the USA. It will take years to even begin to move that manufacturing. The cost to build and move will be astronomical, and the new higher costs will destroy the lower/middle class. This is dt's NWO!

I see the apples to apples comparisons weekly. With a Mexican worker making @$20 dollars a day or less. And lots of workers work a short day on Saturday. Imagine a U.S. worker working 6 days a week wo any kind of overtime provisions in place..nfw.
There are many quirky things but the environment and the community play a tiny factor in business decisions. Tijuana is booming..unemployment below @4%. When industry comes to town having an extra few 18 wheelers down your block or passing your kids school is just begrudgingly accepted.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6lTFjC5TGs

Just try and build a shoe or leather processing place anywhere but the deep South..
* This same type of story could be duplicated all over Mexico wo any kind of oversight. Big corporations offer jobs,build big plants the human waste byproduct is just seen as a necessary evil.
Trump is dreaming if he thinks he can throttle the courts,EPA and large communities into accepting heavy pollution industry in their backyard. Flint and Newark are popular water hotspots but there are more on the way.

I mean, what the actual...

The Trump administration took its hardest line yet to legalize anti-gay discrimination on Friday when it asked the Supreme Court to declare that federal law allows private companies to fire workers based only on their sexual orientation.

I think we need to wait for the end of the week to measure our collective shame,
Jews, Greenland,the federal reserve,the courts,LQBTQ ,endangered species,environmental protection, China, just some of the groups Trump trashed but we will have to wait to see what the mix of a full bag,multiple crack pipes and a crazy President will do at the G7 summit.
The people w real skin in the game don't look overjoyed with today's Trumpisms..the DOW took a dive

First day of the Vuelta, international and US finals in Little League World Series..( my pick is Hawaii) and Trump at the G7.5.
I will wait to see if Trump says something positive about Russia and about the U.S. economy. This ..look at mine.mine is big and healthy and yours is shrinking going through an unhealthy contraction.
I listened to the comments of an economist yesterday, he said "the only thing worse for the US than a strong China,is a weak China" . I guess we will all find out how entangled we all are after all.

Yeah, you guys (with the exception of maybe dj) . A bunch of boring old white people whining about Trump and doing nothing to change the conditions that led to his elections. You're preeminent. Still jealous and bitter that his mediocrity is eclipsing yours.?
Lessee-
Health care..a mess now and getting worse
Foreign policy-a mess now and getting worse
Immigration-a mess now and getting worse
Economy-becoming a mess now because of Herr trump and will get worse..
Yup, those good old days of racism, sexism, hate, bigotry..being ;ed by the head clown..good on ya and Nov 2020 can't come soon enough. Herr trump won't go down in flames for any other reason that his big mouth, his ineptitude, his lying, his ignorance..BUT it's early..lots of time for donnie to say and do stupid things and time for trumpistas to defend him...

First day of the Vuelta, international and US finals in Little League World Series..( my pick is Hawaii) and Trump at the G7.5.
I will wait to see if Trump says something positive about Russia and about the U.S. economy. This ..look at mine.mine is big and healthy and yours is shrinking going through an unhealthy contraction.
I listened to the comments of an economist yesterday, he said "the only thing worse for the US than a strong China,is a weak China" . I guess we will all find out how entangled we all are after all.

Before you know it trump will whine about any company doing Biz with China as being 'unpatriotic' or a 'traitor'..wonder if that applies to his little inbred daughter..her biz gonna leave china??

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/06/ivanka-trump-gets-initial-approval-from-china-for-16-trademarks.html

And on guns,like any long test do the easy stuff first. Make getting a gun at least as hard as a drivers license. And like a drivers license, you need some training,there are rules,that vary from state to state,town to town. You need registration and insurance. And like a drivers license,you need to be periodically checked to ensure you are still qualified to hold the license. And like the drivers license,there should be fines,suspensions revoking of the license for people who misuse or violate the laws. No,absolutely no reason,including the U.S. Constitution that similar steps can't be taken for guns.
People talking about guns often sound like people explaining why children should be able to ride in the back of pickups on the freeway,or arguing that child safety seats make playing with their kids while driving very difficult.
and unfortunately, just like guns, a 13yo can go to the garage with the keys and take the car out for a spin... wasn't it Sandy Hook where the kid did exactly that with his mum's two guns taken from her locked safe?
somehow, I also doubt the criminals will follow those laws you mention, especially when they already possess and use the items in question
nor do increased penalties actually deter people from doing things they shouldn't...
it's one thing to set these laws, but you have 400m guns out there - not much point putting a bigger lock on the gate after the horses have all bolted...
no real solution, that will be both achievable and affective, will be easy

You can however stop more horses from bolting. More horses are being made and sold everyday. Eventually all the horses that had bolted would be antiques.

The argument that nothing should be done because nothing has been done previously is fatuous.

Reactions: jmdirt
Long term thinking is practically extinct in the USA. Trump only thinks about the next 15 mins and it trickles down to everybody else in politics. Climate change and gun control require solutions that span generations. Mac is right about the problem at hand re: guns. I don't think anybody here is seriously talking about confiscation.

Long term thinking is practically extinct in the USA. Trump only thinks about the next 15 mins and it trickles down to everybody else in politics. Climate change and gun control require solutions that span generations. Mac is right about the problem at hand re: guns. I don't think anybody here is seriously talking about confiscation.
The fact is NOBODY knows who has what gun..There is no national registry(it's actually illegal)..and there will be no 'confiscation'..that's a right wing, trumpista talking point, 'the gun grabbers'...

trump has no ideology, no point of view..face it, he's not a 'deep thinker'..he doesn't read, he's not a student of anything..like history or economics or how the US government actually works. He's a small minded, inept, lonely little man....

Why go with just the lock and key argument? Sure a kid can tool around in the parents car. The logic you are using is, why have a keyed ignition switch? Why lock the car at all? After all some of the cars are used for nefarious purposes.but don't stop there..why have seatbelts if some people ignore there use?
As posted above..it's all about the long term..hell in the US we found out all that @$14 dollars worth of prenatal vitamins did to prevent birth defects and protect the health of mothers and babies and Trump is working overtime to put obstacles in place or completely eliminate health care for large swaths of women.
Am I having the kid? Am I not wearing my seatbelt? Do I leave my cars and guns unlocked? No. But big picture we are all effected by these issues. Talk about Trump's tantrum about becoming a charge of the state!!! Kids born a serious health problems and preventable birth defects will almost guarantee being a recipient of assistance on some level. The guy is the most myopic Presidential thinker ever!
One thing I learned from my NYC experience..trash,a plumbing problem or a non working smoke detector in somebody else's apartment is your problem also. Good neighbors,good citizens act accordingly.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EUWCj-d2heM

Seldom agree with this guy. His slant on 2007 and the data he presents about Mother nature are really compelling
The data and outlooks of others at the G7 make it that much clearer that a mind exploding thought about the future for Trump is what to order for his next meal.
Norman Lear and Carroll O'Connor should have explored what Archie Bunker would have acted like as President so we wouldn't have to.

Why go with just the lock and key argument? Sure a kid can tool around in the parents car. The logic you are using is, why have a keyed ignition switch? Why lock the car at all? After all some of the cars are used for nefarious purposes.but don't stop there..why have seatbelts if some people ignore there use?
I'm not arguing about any lock n key, only pointing out the flaw in your licencing solution...
As mentioned above by another poster, no one has any idea who's got what or where - how exactly would you, could you, implement such a system? And actually have an affect in doing so? Do you honestly believe all owners will come forward and provide the necessary information wanted??
It's about finding a solution that is actually achievable and implementable...
I still maintain that the real solution will be generational - it's to do with the thought processes and societal attitude of not only complete contempt towards your fellow man, but the belief that solving your own personal issues by killing others is a viable and normal response/action to take... There were no school shootings in the 80's, but now, they're a dime-a-dozen. "I don't like the people in that nightclub, so I'll go shoot and kill them all", say what??!! Something changed for these things to occur constantly now...
The argument that nothing should be done because nothing has been done previously is fatuous.
I'm not arguing that nothing should be done - only pointing out a flaw in an example given. It's fine to suggest solutions, but if they're impractical or there's little to no chance of implementation, you'll never achieve the end result... Band-Aid and 'feel good' solutions won't have any sort of affect

There were quite a few school shootings in the 1980s. What has changed is a news media that can put these stories front and center as they happen.

19-year-old James William Wilson entered Oakland Elementary School and started firing shots in the cafeteria. Two students were wounded and a first-grade teacher. After reloading his gun in a girls' restroom, he was confronted by physical education teacher, Kat Finkbeiner, who tried to stop him; she was wounded twice. He then entered a third-grade classroom and shot toward the students, killing 8-year-olds Shequila Tawoon Bradley and Tequila Maria Thomas, and wounding five others.
24-year-old Patrick Edward Purdy fatally shot five children and wounded 32 others at the Cleveland Elementary School, before taking his own life. The victims were children of refugees from Southeast Asia. Purdy had a history of violence, alcoholism and drug addiction, and criminality.
From the 70s.
During a two-and-a-half-hour siege, 17-year-old honor student, Anthony Barbaro, the best on his rifle team, killed three adults, one being pregnant, in and around his high school and wounded eleven other persons. He shot from the windows out at the street and neighborhood. The school was closed for the Christmas holiday. Barbaro committed suicide in prison before he could stand trial.
From the 50s.
15-year-old student, Billy Ray Prevatte, fatally shot 32-year-old teacher, Frazer Cameron, and injured 25-year-old athletic coach, Francis Daniel Wagner, and 31-year-old teacher, Robert Hicks, at Maryland Park Junior High School. He left after waiting outside the principal's office for a reprimand due to failing to turn in a written physical education assignment; he returned with a rifle, shooting the three staff members.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States

Archibald,I agree with part of your outlook,warm fuzzy f feel good BS is useless.
a simple straightforward partial solution:
Universal background checks.
This would include a database, so far the NRA and others in the gun lobby have background check data kept on paper,no central computer electronically transmitted data is available. Current process has participating gun sellers submit their request and the government never responds or responds long after the prescribed waiting period.
Basic safety training and standards.
Anybody buying a gun or ammunition would need to present a Gun Safety Card for the purchase,like you do for a bottle of wine or whisky. Presenting a valid ID that is similarly required for a pack of cigarettes.
mandatory prosecution for gun crime involvement.
If a weapon you own is used in the commission of a crime,you are subject to a non negotiable year in jail. Like the Sandy Hook example. If the shooter gets a gun,ammo or support from someone else,that responsible person goes to jail.
Safe Zone laws..
Get caught a gun in a school,preschool,airport or hospital. 5 year minimum.
If those non feel good measures don't have an impact on gun violence,keep those and add additional safeguards until numbers decline.

Also don't use weapons,like nuclear bombs against tropical storms and other weather events.

Nothing lasts forever, when on the downside there is only the fall. So now folks will be doing some soul-searching, while asking all the wrong questions: "How did this come to pass?" Fools! As I've stressed many times before, we are no better off than when we thought life was but a dream.

I'm not arguing about any lock n key, only pointing out the flaw in your licencing solution...
As mentioned above by another poster, no one has any idea who's got what or where - how exactly would you, could you, implement such a system? And actually have an affect in doing so? Do you honestly believe all owners will come forward and provide the necessary information wanted??
It's about finding a solution that is actually achievable and implementable...
I still maintain that the real solution will be generational - it's to do with the thought processes and societal attitude of not only complete contempt towards your fellow man, but the belief that solving your own personal issues by killing others is a viable and normal response/action to take... There were no school shootings in the 80's, but now, they're a dime-a-dozen. "I don't like the people in that nightclub, so I'll go shoot and kill them all", say what??!! Something changed for these things to occur constantly now...

I'm not arguing that nothing should be done - only pointing out a flaw in an example given. It's fine to suggest solutions, but if they're impractical or there's little to no chance of implementation, you'll never achieve the end result... Band-Aid and 'feel good' solutions won't have any sort of affect
As listed there were shooting in the 1980s and lots of them in the 1880s too. Certainly the media covers them differently because the media is different. I would also offer that in the '80s it was more socially acceptable to punch somebody in the face. I'm not condoning physical altercations per se, but if a kid is getting picked on, I'd rather they punch the bully then let it build for five years before they shoot up an entire school.

There were quite a few school shootings in the 1980s. What has changed is a news media that can put these stories front and center as they happen.

From the 70s.

From the 50s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States
That's certainly interesting but to make your point about the media, I'd have liked to see data from each decade, not single instances or anecdotes. I'd be pretty shocked if the number of mass shootings hasn't dramatically increased over the decades.

Quick search indicates that the number has of course dramatically increased (1966 to present): https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/08/05/more-deadlier-mass-shooting-trends-america/?noredirect=on

But fair point that they were not unheard of before. I think what we're looking for is a return to the much reduced number from years past. No one thinks there is a silver bullet (pardon the pun) for this problem.

That's certainly interesting but to make your point about the media, I'd have liked to see data from each decade, not single instances or anecdotes. I'd be pretty shocked if the number of mass shootings hasn't dramatically increased over the decades.

Quick search indicates that the number has of course dramatically increased (1966 to present): https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/08/05/more-deadlier-mass-shooting-trends-america/?noredirect=on

But fair point that they were not unheard of before. I think what we're looking for is a return to the much reduced number from years past. No one thinks there is a silver bullet (pardon the pun) for this problem.
Good job arguing a point that I did not make. I don't think anybody doubts that mass shootings are up while crime on the whole is down. Guns per capita has also doubled since the sixties. What is indisputable is that a lot of what ails society now has been around longer than people like Archibald want to admit as some of my chosen anecdotes illustrate. Blaming shifts on millenials' thinking is short sighted imo.

Good job arguing a point that I did not make. I don't think anybody doubts that mass shootings are up while crime on the whole is down. Guns per capita has also doubled since the sixties. What is indisputable is that a lot of what ails society now has been around longer than people like Archibald want to admit as some of my chosen anecdotes illustrate. Blaming shifts on millenials' thinking is short sighted imo.
it's not about me not wanting to admit anything - I grew up and went to school in the 80's, and I have no recollection of any school shootings occurring. Would have thought they'd have hit the news here in a big way, in much the same way as they have during the 90's and onwards. I'm not in the US either... But what I do find interesting, is that you had to look them up/google them. I'm working from memory, not google...
But the point is still that there is a large increase in frequency, and a change in the mindset of kids that has facilitated that increase in frequency.
Whether that has a correlation to further shootings as those same kids get older, who knows, but that's not too far from the realm of possibility...
It's that root cause, that I believe is where a good solution lies.
That's not blaming the kids either - it's looking for what's affecting them to think and behave that way over the past 30 years

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY