U.S. Politics

Page 2471 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Real (constant 1982-1984 dollars) average hourly earnings for production and nonsupervisory employees on private nonfarm payrolls

July 2017

$9.29

July 2019

$9.39

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/archives/realer_09142017.htm#re_table2.f.p

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/realer.t02.htm

Increasing inequality is an issue, but aggregate data suggests the lowest unemployment rate since 1969 and around the highest average hourly earnings on record.

Median weakly real earnings seem to be highest on record as well

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/LES1252881600Q

Real (constant 1982-1984 dollars) average hourly earnings for production and nonsupervisory employees on private nonfarm payrolls

July 2017

$9.29

July 2019

$9.39

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/archives/realer_09142017.htm#re_table2.f.p

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/realer.t02.htm

Increasing inequality is an issue, but aggregate data suggests the lowest unemployment rate since 1969 and around the highest average hourly earnings on record.

Median weakly real earnings seem to be highest on record as well

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/LES1252881600Q
BUT, how is that relative to the cost of living?
Unemployment is a tricky word. A worker used to make $20 hr, new job $14 hr, they're employed but are they equally employed? A worker maxes unemployment benefits, they are off the 'roll', but still unemployed.

Aphro, I pretty sure it wasn't your intention..I have found hours of awesomeness from the..threemonkiesonline. site.
When I go to the site using Google,other really good sites come up in related searches.I know truthdig is one of your favs, but feel free to lead to other goldmines..

"Mr Trump hit back, tweeting: “This nonsense has never happened to another president. " No other prez used a sharpie to alter a map...no other prez was this stupid!
Funnily enough he's constantly attacking Obama... most of it nonsense too. Although, trump will most likely call a technicality in that Obama's an "ex-president"
Twitting about the First Step Act and happily taking a potshot at Obama about doing so. Ignoring Obama's signing of the Fair Sentencing Act back in 2010, which is Trump just continuing something Obama was doing already and had laid the groundwork...

Seth Meyers has another big about the G7..Trump goes whack about not participating in anything.. "climate change or global warming" .
Don't know of a montage about windmills..but Donald has a deep deep spooky problem with windmills. He has said before that they cause cancer

Watched John Oliver last night..he appears often to talk English but act pretty American. Regardless I often enjoy his humor and show. This weeks show included a funny dig at Boris Johnson from a member of parliament..as Boris was walking by after a abnormally had session "not a good start Boris!!"
Oliver found the comment belly laugh funny,w British sensibility..let's see
"Not a good start Donald!!!" I don't find either guy's style funny instead frightening..

Breaking! News!!
White House just confirmed that it was John Bolton was the person who put the Sharpie lobe on the storm map!!!fired!!
Bolton just signed a $20 million dollar contract with NE Patriots to help w their Yosemite Sam mascot switch over!!!

9-11 is nobody's favorite holiday. Trump often amazes me for all the wrong reasons. Not saying his wife or son's name while trying to communicate the deadly vape epidemic..idiot..
Not being able to mention anyone who was killed in combat..having the birthplace of Puerto Rico as a puzzle to Trump was bad..yes Puerto Rican and Mexican soldiers are fighting for the US.
Trump needing a focus group and a few days to kick around the right and wrong of his Camp David meeting is truly disgusting

Reactions: gobuck
Most of you will recall that actual politics aside, I dislike dt for lying about everything, every little thing. I feel the same way about jb. He doesn't lie as much as dt, but like dt he doesn't really know where truth is.

I never quite figured out the hype with Bernie in '16, and can't figure out the hype with jb now. Is it sheeple syndrome? Bernie did offer a 'different' agenda I guess, but what is jb offering?

Most of you will recall that actual politics aside, I dislike dt for lying about everything, every little thing. I feel the same way about jb. He doesn't lie as much as dt, but like dt he doesn't really know where truth is.

I never quite figured out the hype with Bernie in '16, and can't figure out the hype with jb now. Is it sheeple syndrome? Bernie did offer a 'different' agenda I guess, but what is jb offering?
I find the whole, let's go with old-age pensioners who don't know when to retire and go enjoy the grand-kiddies, for President astounding. We're watching an elderly guy in clear mental decline, but people want to have similar aged folks - not only at risk of Alzheimer's/dementia, but who's generation is responsible for the way the world is now. Are they really the folks to sort it all out? Or even have the interests of current and future generations, let alone hand over something that's not completely irreversible and basically f**ked? Take Trump's blatant disregard to the planet - has he ever considered what sort of world he'll be leaving to Baron??
Biden's 76, and Bernie's even older... and while I like some of Bernie's thinking, I really think he'd be better off as someone's advisor/mentor than as the actual President

Is Biden's popularity his own, or is it off his association/work with Obama?

I find the whole, let's go with old-age pensioners who don't know when to retire and go enjoy the grand-kiddies, for President astounding. We're watching an elderly guy in clear mental decline, but people want to have similar aged folks - not only at risk of Alzheimer's/dementia, but who's generation is responsible for the way the world is now. Are they really the folks to sort it all out? Or even have the interests of current and future generations, let alone hand over something that's not completely irreversible and basically f**ked? Take Trump's blatant disregard to the planet - has he ever considered what sort of world he'll be leaving to Baron??
Biden's 76, and Bernie's even older... and while I like some of Bernie's thinking, I really think he'd be better off as someone's advisor/mentor than as the actual President

Is Biden's popularity his own, or is it off his association/work with Obama?
IMO, 90% of his popularity is from Obama.
dt's complete disregard for the planet isn't because he's old and fat, its because he only sees immediate $$$ for he and his friends. Its alarming how much he has done to gut air, water, soil protections.

I think the best chance for a GenX president is Nikki Haley. She is a much more likely nominee than the two postulated by the author (Gaetz or Crenshaw). If she runs against the fossilized remains of Biden in 2024, I don't think it will be that hard to win.

I agree with the comparison between Biden and Trump. People who think that electing the former will change things are deluding themselves. But I think a good part of Biden's allure is that he won't uproot things. His base of support is the 50+ crowd and African Americans. Obama has helped greatly with the latter only IMO. A lot people in this country are happy with the status quo. And this is reinforced by cable news for the 50+ crowd. We see it again this morning after the debate with the gnashing teeth about paying for Medicare for all or free college tuition. Look at MD and MA, two highly liberal states run by popular Republican governors. That is the other half of his base.

I had to do a blood draw for my work wellness program this morning and one of the phlebotomist said to the other: "I'm just tired of career politicians, that why Biden is a nice change". WTH?! How does she not see him as a career politician?! If being a politician for 50 year isn't a career politician, I don't know what is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MarieDGarzai Non-Cycling Discussions 2