U.S. Politics

Page 250 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 8, 2012
Hugh Januss said:
Scott would never keep his gun in a safe, it must always be at the ready in case he has to blow away an intruder.:rolleyes:

I don't own a gun or a baseball bat. I live in a single story house so I can't even jump off the second floor. I do drink alcoholic beverages though.

I guess I'm the fool because my first response isn't blaming the inanimate object. :rolleyes:

Scott SoCal said:
I don't own a gun or a baseball bat. I live in a single story house so I can't even jump off the second floor. I do drink alcoholic beverages though.

I guess I'm the fool because my first response isn't blaming the inanimate object. :rolleyes:
I would definitely blame the person first. And the social deficiencies that allowed them to get to the point they were at. So let's say he had to use alternate means: strangles his mom and sets explosives all around the school. Assuming he had the wherewithal to do that undetected (which is not entirely clear) then it's true that the body count would be even higher. And then what would the terms of this discussion look like?

Mar 17, 2009
Hugh Januss said:
Scott would never keep his gun in a safe, it must always be at the ready in case he has to blow away an intruder.:rolleyes:
the sad part is that the manufacturer gives you a trigger lock or a chamber lock when you buy a gun.

Mar 17, 2009
blutto said:
...is this the same " should " that went missing in action in Newtown recently?...

...and as long as were are in a fanatasy world just wondering when the NFA ( National Footwear Association ) is going to launch their new catch phrase " Footwear doesn't blow up planes people blow up planes"...because frankly I'm sick of having my footwear rights trampled on when I fly...

Cheers

blutto
yes it is. we require tests to get a drivers license and we should do the same for gun owners and hunters. i don't have a concealed carry permit but i've been told that firearm safety is most of class to get one.

Mar 18, 2009
patricknd said:
yes it is. we require tests to get a drivers license and we should do the same for gun owners and hunters. i don't have a concealed carry permit but i've been told that firearm safety is most of class to get one.
It's important not to shoot your nads off when keeping it at the ready in your waistband.

Mar 18, 2009
Amsterhammer said:
You could be onto something there. My casual inquiry about the apparent major inconsistencies between BD's known politics, and his sudden gung-ho support for guns and the holy words of the Second Amendment was what started a whole kerfuffle pages back, so maybe it's best not to go there.
No way. I'm a severe conservative.

Amsterhammer said:
Hitch thinks that BD's inconsistency is just proof of his independent thought, as opposed to the rest of us lemmings who follow a party line on everything.
He got your number there.

Jul 9, 2009
patricknd said:
the sad part is that the manufacturer gives you a trigger lock or a chamber lock when you buy a gun.
That makes it less effective as a crime prevention tool, which seems to be one of the most important reasons that Scott has given for everyone to be armed. I have never committed a crime (well other than speeding and in my younger days drug possession, but I digress) but I imagine if I were I would not be willing to wait while my potential victim went to his gun safe to retrieve his weapon. I would however after I was done robbing him make him open said safe and depart with all of his guns as well. I imagine they would bring more than a few bucks on the black market.

Nov 8, 2012
Hugh Januss said:
That makes it less effective as a crime prevention tool, which seems to be one of the most important reasons that Scott has given for everyone to be armed. I have never committed a crime (well other than speeding and in my younger days drug possession, but I digress) but I imagine if I were I would not be willing to wait while my potential victim went to his gun safe to retrieve his weapon. I would however after I was done robbing him make him open said safe and depart with all of his guns as well. I imagine they would bring more than a few bucks on the black market.
If you were a smart criminal you would look for the prius driving leftist with the solar panels on his roof.

No chance of guns in that household.

But you are right, trigger locks are a problem for those that carry weapons on their person.

Sep 10, 2009
Scott SoCal said:
No, you're a fool because you don't see a problem with these guys being armed to the teeth and wearing body armor.

Mar 18, 2009
VeloCity said:
No, you're a fool because you don't see a problem with these guys being armed to the teeth and wearing body armor.
Free country, dude. It's not our fault your fashion sense is stuck in the 50's.

VeloCity said:
And that gun in their dad's closet makes it a hell of a lot easier to act.
I find that when I have a bike handy, I am much more likely to ride instead of using other forms of transportation.

Using this bicycle logic, I assume that when people have guns handy, they are more likely to use them.

Mar 17, 2009
Hugh Januss said:
that's why they have biometric safe locks. one finger swipe and you're in.

Mar 17, 2009
Scott SoCal said:
If you were a smart criminal you would look for the prius driving leftist with the solar panels on his roof.

No chance of guns in that household.

But you are right, trigger locks are a problem for those that carry weapons on their person.
i'm talking about home storage. if you have kids, (especially crazy ones) why wouldn't you have them?

Mar 17, 2009
frenchfry said:
I find that when I have a bike handy, I am much more likely to ride instead of using other forms of transportation.

Using this bicycle logic, I assume that when people have guns handy, they are more likely to use them.
as opposed to what, taking the car? :D

sorry, couldn't resist.

Nov 8, 2012
VeloCity said:
Hopefully this is the end of the NRA as a political force.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/21/nra-press-conference_n_2346382.html

Armed police officers and bulletproof backpacks, just so kids can go to school. The right is truly ****ing insane.
A no Q&A presser was extremely weak sauce. Disgusted with the NRA (I'm not a member) and I'm betting that will be the last time you ever see LaPierre speak.

Try not to paint us all with your broad brush. I think the left is a bit whacked thinking more gun control is going to take care of the wack-job that will shoot their mom's four times in the face, steal her guns and blow away a bunch of 6 year olds.

Since when do nutters and criminals follow the ****ing rules?

Sep 10, 2009
BroDeal said:
It's not our fault that the extreme right has gone completely bat**** insane, but we do have to share the country with them. And considering the link between mental health, gun ownership, and violence, the sooner we disarm them, the better.

Mar 17, 2009
VeloCity said:
It's not our fault that the extreme right has gone completely bat**** insane, but we do have to share the country with them. And considering the link between mental health, gun ownership, and violence, the sooner we disarm them, the better.
'cause that staement won't throw fuel on the fire :D

Jul 9, 2009
BroDeal said:
What is "free" about feeling like you need to be armed to be safe?
What is "free" about armed guards in grade schools?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MarieDGarzai Non-Cycling Discussions 2