• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

U.S. Politics

Page 2500 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Multiple quotes? I thought you were bothered by that.

No. Here is what I wrote:

Rough guidelines for mortgage holders.. lenders usually get nervous if your mortgage is greater than 42 or 43% of AGI. That would put around 27,000,000 tax filers that - in theory - could qualify for a $750,000 loan.

Read then re-read the bold.

Right. For two reason that are obvious to everyone. The "poor' how you are defining them 1. don't pay Federal taxes and 2. are not buying homes and putting money away for retirement.

No. I am not sure how you are defining 'rich.' Real wealth, yes, I agree there are legal shelters available but there's one thing you are missing that has already pointed out. Top earners pay the bulk of income taxes collected. You may not feel they pay enough - which is a view held by many - but they do pay.

No. You said he doesn't pay Federal taxes. You are wrong again.

His taxes are none of your business. Your taxes are none of my business. If you want to show them to me that will be your decision and yours alone. You can speculate wildly about what they may contain. I reasonable sure you would not know what you were looking at even if you had them. Let's go ahead and assume they are not on a 1040EZ form. Can we at least agree on that?

Too early to tell. I can say that the Mueller investigation and the Dem's obsession with the overturn of the 2016 election is not helping. USMCA anyone? Bi-partisan support and nothing but cricket from the House. Except the singular focus on ginning up any excuse to impeach.

Name one abuse. I am sure you can point to many.

Sure. If not the "Ukraine Quid Pro Quo Bribe Extortion Treason" it will be something else. You reference a tweet from somebody telegraphing what could be next. The "Impeachment Committee" will not stop until they have found a crime to impeach POTUS for. It's what they do.

Don't let the facts get in the way when you are this determined. POTUS donates his salary. By your way of thinking we should pursue Obama enriching himself by accepting his. Then of course there is this:

How Barack Obama Has Made $20 Million Since Arriving In Washington

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danalexander/2017/01/20/how-barack-obama-has-made-20-million-since-arriving-in-washington/#58e9290b5bf0

Including $10.8 million during both terms as POTUS. Does this bother you at all?

Also this is common knowledge:

Trump tumbles down the Forbes 400 as his net worth has taken a major hit since he launched his presidential run

• President Donald Trump’s net worth has declined by more than $1 billion since the year he launched his presidential campaign at the foot of Trump Tower’s escalator, Forbes reported Tuesday.
  • The president’s net worth stands at $3.1 billion, down from $4.5 billion in 2015, Forbes said. As a result, Trump has tumbled down the Forbes 400 list, the latest edition of which will be published in full Wednesday.
  • Trump was the 248th wealthiest person in America on Forbes’ 2017 list.
October 2018 CNBC. Many other sources reporting the same.
I never said that I disliked multi-quoting only that it was a flashback to another poster. The poor will be the first to suffer when the recession hits. But continue being very concerned about how they don't have enough skin in the game.

You do realize that we know how much Obama made in office because he was transparent about his taxes, right? You tell me, which of Obama's income items were sketchy. The article even admits that he was making $450K by 2015. I have no issues with Trump making money from royalties of the prior books that he 'wrote'. But he should've put all his assets in a blind trust, instead GOP groups line his pockets by visiting his properties in DC and abroad even when it is ridiculous (Pence in Ireland). He tried to award himself a govt contract to host the G7! That was so nuts even the GOP senators had to put a stop to it. The salary donation is good PR, but he will recoup all that 10- fold or more once out of office, which makes his personal enrichment schemes while in office even more damning.

There is something deeply ironic about a president attacking Hunter Biden for enriching himself off of Joe Biden's time as VP while simultaneously plugging his failson's book to his twitter followers and buying up bulk copies for his political donors. Or having Ivanka get trademarks approved in China while he is negotiating a trade deal with China.

I take Trump's net worth with a large grain of salt. They are all just estimates. He may not even be a billionaire. Trump can all prove us wrong by being transparent. But he chooses not to be and there was no legal reason that he had to prior to becoming president.

Abuses of power:
Employing his children in the WH.
Overruling his own admin so his children can get security clearances they couldn't get on merit.
Using official state events to openly campaign for president.
Staying at resorts that he owns and billing the govt.
Not responding to any subpoena from the House of Representatives and instructing others not to as well.
Threatening whistleblowers who have legally come forward.
Withholding aid to Ukraine until they publicly announce an investigation of his political rivals.

I never said that I disliked multi-quoting only that it was a flashback to another poster. The poor will be the first to suffer when the recession hits. But continue being very concerned about how they don't have enough skin in the game.

You do realize that we know how much Obama made in office because he was transparent about his taxes, right? You tell me, which of Obama's income items were sketchy. The article even admits that he was making $450K by 2015. I have no issues with Trump making money from royalties of the prior books that he 'wrote'. But he should've put all his assets in a blind trust, instead GOP groups line his pockets by visiting his properties in DC and abroad even when it is ridiculous (Pence in Ireland). He tried to award himself a govt contract to host the G7! That was so nuts even the GOP senators had to put a stop to it. The salary donation is good PR, but he will recoup all that 10- fold or more once out of office, which makes his personal enrichment schemes while in office even more damning.

There is something deeply ironic about a president attacking Hunter Biden for enriching himself off of Joe Biden's time as VP while simultaneously plugging his failson's book to his twitter followers and buying up bulk copies for his political donors. Or having Ivanka get trademarks approved in China while he is negotiating a trade deal with China.

I take Trump's net worth with a large grain of salt. They are all just estimates. He may not even be a billionaire. Trump can all prove us wrong by being transparent. But he chooses not to be and there was no legal reason that he had to prior to becoming president.

Abuses of power:
Overruling his own admin so his children can get security clearances they couldn't get on merit.
Not responding to any subpoena from the House of Representatives and instructing others not to as well.
Withholding aid to Ukraine until they publicly announce an investigation of his political rivals.
I see you got your daily talking points from the Nat. security council.

Oct 28, 2019

Abuses of power:
Yes. Which makes those on the left wishing for a recession disgusting (Bill Maher comes to mind).

You said POTUS is enriching himself. He clearly has not and has lost 20% (or so) of his net-worth since announcing his candidacy. Meanwhile a POTUS who unarguably enriched himself WHILE IN OFFICE gets a pass from you. Interesting, don't you think?

Yet another line of impeachment! The G7 originally being scheduled at Doral! SEE! CORRUPTION!! Were G7 (that has not happened yet) meetings held at Doral? No, but the mere suggestion of this is evidence of a crime. I can only imagine how this is going to be spun by Schiff and his team.

The Obamas are worth 30 times more than when they entered the White House

No problem here, right? Just looking for a consistent position.

Junior wrote a book, found a publisher and it is selling very well. Ivanka had her own Enterprise before Daddy was POTUS and she will likely have it after. Hunter Biden, by his own admission, didn't know anything about energy and would not have been named to Burisma's board but for his Daddy. Some difference don't you think?

Yet here you are accusing POTUS of enriching himself.

Nothing on your list that has actually happened constitutes and abuse of power. The fantastical accusations put forth are just fantastical accusations. A wish list if you like.

Read Article II

Section 2.
The President shall be commander in chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the militia of the several states, when called into the actual service of the United States; he may require the opinion, in writing, of the principal officer in each of the executive departments, upon any subject relating to the duties of their respective offices, and he shall have power to grant reprieves and pardons for offenses against the United States, except in cases of impeachment.

He shall have power, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate, to make treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur; and he shall nominate, and by and with the advice and consent of the Senate, shall appoint ambassadors, other public ministers and consuls, judges of the Supreme Court, and all other officers of the United States, whose appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by law: but the Congress may by law vest the appointment of such inferior officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the courts of law, or in the heads of departments.

The President shall have power to fill up all vacancies that may happen during the recess of the Senate, by granting commissions which shall expire at the end of their next session.

Section 3.
He shall from time to time give to the Congress information of the state of the union, and recommend to their consideration such measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient; he may, on extraordinary occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in case of disagreement between them, with respect to the time of adjournment, he may adjourn them to such time as he shall think proper; he shall receive ambassadors and other public ministers; he shall take care that the laws be faithfully executed, and shall commission all the officers of the United States.

Section 4.
The President, Vice President and all civil officers of the United States, shall be removed from office on impeachment for, and conviction of, treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors.

Oct 28, 2019
You're arguing a completely different point than the one I made. Pro tip: its not politics if you get a massive dopamine rush from clicking Post Reply

You wrote;

Taxing the top earners never worked because they just dodge the taxes with cheats. That's why revenue is up Blumph is taxing middle class homeowners over $1 trillion more. Hence why hes now scrambling to make promises that if elected again he wont do it again,

I am assuming your first sentence is part of the point you were making. It is wrong (tax cheats notwithstanding).

Go right ahead and prove your second sentence.

I have no idea what you are referring to on the third sentence.

Yes. Which makes those on the left wishing for a recession disgusting (Bill Maher comes to mind).

You said POTUS is enriching himself. He clearly has not and has lost 20% (or so) of his net-worth since announcing his candidacy. Meanwhile a POTUS who unarguably enriched himself WHILE IN OFFICE gets a pass from you. Interesting, don't you think?

Yet another line of impeachment! The G7 originally being scheduled at Doral! SEE! CORRUPTION!! Were G7 (that has not happened yet) meetings held at Doral? No, but the mere suggestion of this is evidence of a crime. I can only imagine how this is going to be spun by Schiff and his team.

The Obamas are worth 30 times more than when they entered the White House

No problem here, right? Just looking for a consistent position.

Junior wrote a book, found a publisher and it is selling very well. Ivanka had her own Enterprise before Daddy was POTUS and she will likely have it after. Hunter Biden, by his own admission, didn't know anything about energy and would not have been named to Burisma's board but for his Daddy. Some difference don't you think?

Yet here you are accusing POTUS of enriching himself.

Nothing on your list that has actually happened constitutes and abuse of power. The fantastical accusations put forth are just fantastical accusations. A wish list if you like.
By what basis are you claiming this? We didn't know his net worth going in and we don't know it now. We have no clue what his money is invested in. Even assuming that his net worth has gone down, it might be a lot lower now if he wasn't running these schemes. Or the putative downturn is a main reason why he is running these schemes. Leaving Beavis and Buthead in charge of his business might also explain this putative downturn. Trumps are brilliant at marketing but not so much at actually running their businesses as evidenced by Doral's books.

So nothing specific from Obama's earnings bother you? Be specific about your complaints. I would doublecheck your math on them, though. If they made $10m before the WH as the article presupposes, they are most definitely not worth $300m now.

I didn't say announcing Doral as the G7 site was a crime. It was corrupt AF if you care about things like that.

Let's be real here. Nobody would give a F about Junior's book if Trump was not president. Hunter Biden has enjoyed a great deal of coattail riding in his life. Another advantage of the rich and famous. Rudy's kid works in the admin. What are his qualifications besides being Rudy's large adult son. A BS from Duke? At least Biden used his connections to get a law degree from an Ivy.

The fact that you can't even be bothered to rebut my examples of abuse of power speaks volumes, Baghdad Bob.

ETA. I am one of those middle class homeowners who is paying more in taxes because of Trump. Myride makes a good point.

Oct 28, 2019
By what basis are you claiming this? We didn't know his net worth going in and we don't know it now. We have no clue what his money is invested in. Even assuming that his net worth has gone down, it might be a lot lower now if he wasn't running these schemes. Or the putative downturn is a main reason why he is running these schemes. Leaving Beavis and Buthead in charge of his business might also explain this putative downturn. Trumps are brilliant at marketing but not so much at actually running their businesses as evidenced by Doral's books.

So nothing specific from Obama's earnings bother you? Be specific about your complaints. I would doublecheck your math on them, though. If they made $10m before the WH as the article presupposes, they are most definitely not worth $300m now.

I didn't say announcing Doral as the G7 site was a crime. It was corrupt AF if you care about things like that.

Let's be real here. Nobody would give a F about Junior's book if Trump was not president. Hunter Biden has enjoyed a great deal of coattail riding in his life. Another advantage of the rich and famous. Rudy's kid works in the admin. What are his qualifications besides being Rudy's large adult son. A BS from Duke? At least Biden used his connections to get a law degree from an Ivy.

The fact that you can't even be bothered to rebut my examples of abuse of power speaks volumes, Baghdad Bob.

ETA. I am one of those middle class homeowners who is paying more in taxes because of Trump. Myride makes a good point.
Good point. I guess you might want to let Liz Warren know this. She's gone after Bill Gates harrrrrd to get at his Billions. And Forbes has no idea what they are doing.

You are confirming what I am telling you while simultaneously refuting it.

You have a double standard with the current POTUS. You have no problem with past Presidents enriching themselves while in office and after. Only now do you have a problem even though the current POTUS is losing net worth... the opposite of enriching himself. Yet you persist.

“I own a property in Florida. I would have given it for nothing,” the president said during a meeting of his cabinet in the White House. But “the Democrats went crazy, even though I would have done it for free.”

Nobody would give a F about Juniors book if there wasn't a coup d'etat in full bloom.

Your "examples" of abuse are not examples of abuse.

Good point. I guess you might want to let Liz Warren know this. She's gone after Bill Gates harrrrrd to get at his Billions. And Forbes has no idea what they are doing.

You are confirming what I am telling you while simultaneously refuting it.

You have a double standard with the current POTUS. You have no problem with past Presidents enriching themselves while in office and after. Only now do you have a problem even though the current POTUS is losing net worth... the opposite of enriching himself. Yet you persist.

“I own a property in Florida. I would have given it for nothing,” the president said during a meeting of his cabinet in the White House. But “the Democrats went crazy, even though I would have done it for free.”

Nobody would give a F about Juniors book if there wasn't a coup d'etat in full bloom.

Your "examples" of abuse are not examples of abuse.
Without financial records, any statement is liable to be inaccurate. I am entertaining your supposition for the same of argument. It might well be true. Or it might not. He has killed his brand in many parts of the country. Look at the reception he got at the World Series. What did Jordan once say? Republicans buy sneakers too.

1) Actually, I don't have any problem with any of the ex-prez's enriching themselves. Nor do I care what Trump does for money after he is gone. He can go into porn with Stormy for all I care. 2) I do care about some of the ways Trump is putting money into his own pocket as president. I detailed examples. If you can't do the same with Obama, then just admit that you are arguing in bad faith. I thought Obama Derangement System had run its course, but I can see that it is still strong here.

Trump's phrase, "I would've given it for nothing" is right up there with "Mexico will pay for the wall". I think he meant 'at cost' which is an entirely different proposition. Too bad all those diplomats won't get to enjoy South Florida in June. Lovely time of the year if you want to die from heat stroke. Trump would've loved all the free advertising for his failing property.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/10/there-is-no-such-thing-as-at-cost-at-trump-doral.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Koronin
Oct 28, 2019
Without financial records, any statement is liable to be inaccurate. I am entertaining your supposition for the same of argument. It might well be true. Or it might not.
I will submit that, while probably not 100% accurate, the net-worth of these folks is knowable to a certain degree.

1) Actually, I don't have any problem with any of the ex-prez's enriching themselves. Nor do I care what Trump does for money after he is gone. He can go into porn with Stormy for all I care. 2) I do care about some of the ways Trump is putting money into his own pocket as president. I detailed examples. If you can't do the same with Obama, then just admit that you are arguing in bad faith. I thought Obama Derangement System had run its course, but I can see that it is still strong here.
You can't show anything definitive related to Trump lining his pockets. It's conjecture sprinkled with wishful thinking. If an organization wants to pay Obama a six figure sum fro a speech then good for Obama. If Don Jr goes to the trouble of writing a book and it's a bestseller then good for him. If you think the Obama daughters will not benefit from who their Daddy is then I'd say that's naive. Had the daughters been of working age while Obama was POTUS I can imagine their compensation from wherever they were employed would be enhanced by who they are children of. Chelsea Clinton was paid $600,000 annual salary from NBC while her Mom was Secretary of State. Did you have any problems with that?

Trump would've loved all the free advertising for his failing property.
One of the jewels in his portfolio and it is struggling. So which is it? Is he enriching himself or has he damaged his brand by being POTUS? It can't be both.

Both Democratic and Republican Presidents have used their fame to make money, point taken. The problem with Trump is that:

a) unlike every other President since Nixon (and nominee since Ford and Carter), he won't reveal his tax returns, so there is no transparency on just how (and by how much) he might have benefited; this is despite numerous promises that the would do so, all of which were of course lies, with BS excuses like he was being audited (Nixon was being audited when he released his returns)
b) Trump owns properties that other world leaders want to stay in, which is a direct violation of the emoluments clause;
c) his daughter not only had her own businesses before Trump became President, but started new ones that very definitely made use of Trump's Presidency. Though I'm critical of ex-Presidents (and Secs. of State) making money off speeches and books after they have served, that isn't in the same league as starting or continuing business interests while the President is actually in office. Writing a book or giving a speech after leaving office is selling information; profiting off businesses while in office is selling access or taking advantage of free publicity. Yes, Hunter Biden took advantage of his position, and I regard that as shameful, but he didn't formulate a business plan, like Ivanka, that was basically designed to take full advantage of connections. Also, unlike Kushner, Biden wasn't in a position where his ignorance and total lack of qualifications for the position could actually hurt American interests.

Last edited:
Both Democratic and Republican Presidents have used their fame to make money, point taken. The problem with Trump is that:

a) unlike every other President since Nixon (and nominee since Ford and Carter), he won't reveal his tax returns, so there is no transparency on just how (and by how much) he might have benefited; this is despite numerous promises that the would do so, all of which were of course lies, with BS excuses like he was being audited (Nixon was being audited when he released his returns)
b) Trump owns properties that other world leaders want to stay in, which is a direct violation of the emoluments clause;
c) his daughter not only had her own businesses before Trump became President, but started new ones that very definitely made use of Trump's Presidency. Though I'm critical of ex-Presidents (and Secs. of State) making money off speeches and books after they have served, that isn't in the same league as starting or continuing business interests while the President is actually in office. Writing a book or giving a speech after leaving office is selling information; profiting off businesses while in office is selling access or taking advantage of free publicity. Yes, Hunter Biden took advantage of his position, and I regard that as shameful, but he didn't formulate a business plan, like Ivanka, that was basically designed to take full advantage of connections. Also, unlike Kushner, Biden wasn't in a position where his ignorance and total lack of qualifications for the position could actually hurt American interests.
How did Nancy Pelosi get so rich on the government dime?

How did Nancy Pelosi get so rich on the government dime?
From her husband's real estate and other investments.

Pelosi is another GMA, just like most in Congress, Dems as well as Rs. I have no admiration for people like this. But there's no evidence I'm aware of that she used her political position for personal enrichment.

A lot of the wealth in Congress is the result of self-selection. It's hard to win office without a lot of money, so the people who do tend to be very wealthy. That's obviously a major problem with our political system.

Oct 28, 2019
Any American, ANY American has the absolute right to disclose or NOT DISCLOSE that sort of personal information. None of your business, PERIOD. If the IRS is good with it then you should sit down and rethink your personal invasion of privacy WE ARE ALL ENTITLED TO. Are you familiar with HIPPA? Let's say I think Biden has dementia. Let's also say I am a candidate for President and I voluntarily release my super clean medical records. Then, let's say I bludgeon Biden because he won't release his. I say "clearly he has dementia... he won't release his medical records. What else is he hiding? He probably has prostate cancer too!! Why vote for someone without my style of tranparency??? Don't vote for a guy who is out of his mind and dying!" Essentially, that's what is going on with this line of misdirection.

b) Trump owns properties that other world leaders want to stay in, which is a direct violation of the emoluments clause
WASHINGTON — President-elect Donald Trump plans to relinquish management of his businesses, but he still intends to retain an ownership stake in his sprawling real-estate and branding empire.

Trump’s adult sons, Donald Trump Jr. and Eric Trump, will run the company, along with a Trump Organization executive. Trump will not make any corporate decisions during his time in the White House, his aides said.

Trump will put his business assets into a trust, and an ethics adviser will join the company’s management team. The adviser, who has not yet been named, will review and sign off on any new business deals that raise potential conflicts of interests, lawyer Sheri Dillon announced Wednesday. The company also will hire a chief compliance counsel to police potential conflicts.

Dillon said the Trump Organization will not complete any new foreign deals but will continue to pursue new domestic business during Trump's presidency. Dillon said Trump's daughter and trusted adviser, Ivanka Trump, will have no role with the company. Her husband, Jared Kushner, will serve as a senior White House adviser to his father-in-law.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/01/11/trump-wont-drop-ownership-business/96443170/

Meanwhile, as reported earlier right here on this thread, some of Trump's properties are struggling, net worth plummeting. I'm sure everyone is thrilled.

Jared whataboutism.

You know Ukraine was not Hunter's only gig while Dad was VP, right?

Last edited:
Any American, ANY American has the absolute right to disclose or NOT DISCLOSE that sort of personal information. None of your business, PERIOD
Sorry, but when that "any" American is President, then, yes, his income tax returns are my business.

If the IRS is good with it then you should sit down and rethink your personal invasion of privacy
Oh, be serious. All IRS tries to do is determine whether the individual has paid taxes owed. It has no interest in whether the individual's businesses are a potential conflict of interest to his public office. You know what else IRS is good with? If you are a foreigner, or a foreign born citizen, and pay taxes on income earned in the U.S. As long as you pay taxes, IRS could care less about your citizenship status, whereas that obviously is very relevant to your qualifications to be President.

The point of revealing tax returns is not (just) to establish that you paid all your legally owed taxes. It's to determine whether your business interests could conflict with carrying out the duties of high office.

Let's say I think Biden has dementia. Let's also say I am a candidate for President and I voluntarily release my super clean medical records. Then, let's say I bludgeon Biden because he won't release his. I say "clearly he has dementia... he won't release his medical records. What else is he hiding? He probably has prostate cancer too!! Why vote for someone without my style of tranparency??? Don't vote for a guy who is out of his mind and dying!" Essentially, that's what is going on with this line of misdirection.
In the first place, there's a half century of tradition that every President till Trump has followed with regard to income tax returns. No such tradition occurs with regard to medical records. No other President has found it so invasive or personal that he refused to comply with this tradition, though it's voluntary. Even Mondale's running mate Geraldine Ferraro--a running mate, and not even elected-- was pressured by Republicans to release not only her own tax records, but those of her husband, at great cost to his business dealings, and did so. Ferraro's viability as a candidate was also hurt by the implication that she wasn't this self-made, all through my own efforts person she made herself out to be (sound familiar?)

In the second place, medical records could definitely be relevant to a candidate's viability. What if Sanders had managed to cover up his heart attack? Do you think the public has no right to know about that? If you do, I disagree.

We see the same kind of argument on this forum about the hardship that pro cyclists have to endure, constantly having to furnish their whereabouts for testing. If you don't like that, find another job. Same with the President. You can't complain that being President is just like being any ordinary citizen. Ordinary citizens don't have to have bodyguards, whether they wish it or not, either. They aren't forced to live in. a huge mansion in Washington, if they don't want to. There are a lot of things Presidents have to do differently.

President-elect Donald Trump plans to relinquish management of his businesses, but he still intends to retain an ownership stake in his sprawling real-estate and branding empire.
Like he was going to furnish his tax returns? Not that it matters, since he still owns these properties.

You know Ukraine was not Hunter's only gig while Dad was VP, right?
The various Chinese deals? Sure, as I said, his behavior has been shameful. But he was never in a policy making position like Kushner.

The current tax code is accomplishing many things Progressives champion and yet Progressive recoil in horror when these things are happening with an alternative to the main goal of central control. Which is the Progressive dead giveaway: P's don't want the results they advocate for. They want and are singularly focused on power and control. Warren is a perfect example.
In the first place, there is a lot championed by Progressives that the tax code is doing nothing to address, such as health care for all. In the second place, while it's true that a lot of jobs have been created, this has been at the expense of regulations that saved a lot of lives. Even Trump, like other Republicans before him, is capable of very simple math: get rid of regulations, and millions of new jobs will be created, resulting in millions of new votes. The downside is thousands of deaths, but because dead people don't vote, and their family members may not even make the connection between their deaths and regulations, there are very few votes lost.

Last edited:

Abuses of power:
What difference would it make if the hotels/golf courses etc, were in a blind trust?

Hunter Biden is an unqualified son of a career politician, conveniently having business arrangements with foreign companies with ties to foreign governments. The Trump family has been in business since before Trump was born.

We're supposed to be getting new US House districts for our next election. However, since the GOP legislature decided to redraw them yet again before the court hearings were over there isn't a court issued requirement and thus they likely won't be as fair as the new state legislature districts (both houses) for next year's election, but they should be better and hopefully that means voting Meadows out. (Not my rep, different part of the state.)

We're supposed to be getting new US House districts for our next election. However, since the GOP legislature decided to redraw them yet again before the court hearings were over there isn't a court issued requirement and thus they likely won't be as fair as the new state legislature districts (both houses) for next year's election, but they should be better and hopefully that means voting Meadows out. (Not my rep, different part of the state.)
once again, I'm more interested in the content of the video than in who tweeted it

While you're at it with bogus, unsubstantiated claims, you will want to add Pelosi, Jr. and Mitt Romney.

I mean, since you're having your wet dream, might as well wish for a million dollars, right?

Heinz [Kerry's stepson; newsflash: there is no John Kerry Jr, he has no biological sons]] appears to have been added to the list because of his former business partnership with Hunter Biden and their friend Devon Archer. The three men formed an investment firm called Rosemont Seneca, and both Archer and Biden later joined the board of Burisma. However, Heinz did not.

In fact, according to reports by The Washington Post and the Washington Examiner, Heinz expressed his own reservations about Archer and Biden’s decision at the time, which underlines just how inaccurate and wrongheaded the meme’s inclusion of Heinz was.

A spokesperson confirmed to Snopes that Heinz had never been involved in Burisma in any way, nor had he ever worked for or sat on the board of directors of any energy company, or even traveled to Ukraine.
Paul Pelosi Jr., son of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, was at one time on the board of a California-based oil-processing company called Viscoil, according to the account he gave in a video recorded in 2010. The link between Viscoil and Ukraine is either tenuous or non-existent and does not appear to involve Pelosi at all.

Last edited:
While you're at it with bogus, unsubstantiated claims, you will want to add Pelosi, Jr. and Mitt Romney.

I mean, since you're having your wet dream, might as well wish for a million dollars, right?

"Snopes" LOL

people still quoting Snopes

"Snopes" LOL

people still quoting Snopes
People generally use argument from authority when they have nothing else. I don't have to question the reliability of your source. All I have to do is point out that it's a fact that there is no Kerry, Jr. Anyone who doesn't know that is at a minimum lazy and careless, and anything else he says should be treated with some suspicion.

But maybe you prefer the NY Post?

Last edited:
President Donald Trump's net worth rose to $3 billion, a 5% gain over the past year, thanks to a jump in the value of an office-building deal he once sued to prevent.

The increase in Trump’s wealth reverses two years of declines and brings his net worth back to 2016 levels, according to figures compiled by the Bloomberg Billionaires Index from lenders, property records, securities filings, market data and a May 16 financial disclosure. It comes despite setbacks at his family company, including the cancellation of two new hotel chains and reduced business at his Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida and seven golf courses.
If we are going to use these as definitive, it seems like Trump is not doing so bad after all.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-06-12/trump-s-net-worth-rises-to-3-billion-despite-business-setbacks

Sorry, but when that "any" American is President, then, yes, his income tax returns are my business.

Oh, be serious. All IRS tries to do is determine whether the individual has paid taxes owed. It has no interest in whether the individual's businesses are a potential conflict of interest to his public office. You know what else IRS is good with? If you are a foreigner, or a foreign born citizen, and pay taxes on income earned in the U.S. As long as you pay taxes, IRS could care less about your citizenship status, whereas that obviously is very relevant to your qualifications to be President.

The point of revealing tax returns is not (just) to establish that you paid all your legally owed taxes. It's to determine whether your business interests could conflict with carrying out the duties of high office.

In the first place, there's a half century of tradition that every President till Trump has followed with regard to income tax returns. No such tradition occurs with regard to medical records. No other President has found it so invasive or personal that he refused to comply with this tradition, though it's voluntary. Even Mondale's running mate Geraldine Ferraro--a running mate, and not even elected-- was pressured by Republicans to release not only her own tax records, but those of her husband, at great cost to his business dealings, and did so. Ferraro's viability as a candidate was also hurt by the implication that she wasn't this self-made, all through my own efforts person she made herself out to be (sound familiar?)

In the second place, medical records could definitely be relevant to a candidate's viability. What if Sanders had managed to cover up his heart attack? Do you think the public has no right to know about that? If you do, I disagree.

We see the same kind of argument on this forum about the hardship that pro cyclists have to endure, constantly having to furnish their whereabouts for testing. If you don't like that, find another job. Same with the President. You can't complain that being President is just like being any ordinary citizen. Ordinary citizens don't have to have bodyguards, whether they wish it or not, either. They aren't forced to live in. a huge mansion in Washington, if they don't want to. There are a lot of things Presidents have to do differently.

Like he was going to furnish his tax returns? Not that it matters, since he still owns these properties.

The various Chinese deals? Sure, as I said, his behavior has been shameful. But he was never in a policy making position like Kushner.

In the first place, there is a lot championed by Progressives that the tax code is doing nothing to address, such as health care for all. In the second place, while it's true that a lot of jobs have been created, this has been at the expense of regulations that saved a lot of lives. Even Trump, like other Republicans before him, is capable of very simple math: get rid of regulations, and millions of new jobs will be created, resulting in millions of new votes. The downside is thousands of deaths, but because dead people don't vote, and their family members may not even make the connection between their deaths and regulations, there are very few votes lost.
What Death rate are you speaking about? You got any numbers on this? Unclear.

Tradition with respect to taxes is not a rule or a requirement.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS