U.S. Politics

Page 2540 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Johnathan Turley on Eric Swalwell (former prosecutor, God help us all);

Rep. Eric Swalwell, D-Calif., has made sensational statements into a signature style over the last couple years. However, this week Swalwell appears to be contesting the touchstone of due process: the presumption of innocence. On Tuesday, Swalwell declared that, President Donald Trump refuses to give Congress the documents and witnesses that it has demanded, he is clearly guilty of all charged offenses. Swalwell declared “We can only conclude that you’re guilty.” Trump has gone to the courts to challenge the demands under presidential immunities and privileges.

Swalwell’s position further extends the troubling premise of the obstruction article of impeachment. The House is moving to impeach Trump for failing to yield on its demands during a relatively short period of investigation. It will be impeaching him despite that fact that the Supreme Court just took a case to consider his challenges to a demand for his tax and finance record. That however is not enough for Swalwell who believes that members should not only effectively impeach a president for challenging such demands but should also conclude that he is guilty: “In America, innocent men do not hide and conceal evidence. They are forthcoming and they want to cooperate and the president is acting like a very guilty person right now.”
So much for the Fifth Amendment. It is not clear if the same standard applied to President Barack Obama when he went to court rather than turn over material in the “Fast and Furious” investigation.
It will be interesting how this extreme anti-due process view will impact Swalwell’s effort to be named one of the House managers. This view could be played back to the Senate as an example of the unhinged position of some members in this impeachment.

Reactions: FrankB
rubbish. they weren't even in German...
And it's not like the nazis had a monopoly on this sort of thing... plenty of nationalities have been at it during the decades since 1945,(and before) including the 'good 'ol US of A'...
It is quite amazing how triggered they have become by a 16 year old teenage girl.

Today is finally the day. Countdown to Trump meltdown.....

View: https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/1207292335618437122

View: https://twitter.com/revrrlewis/status/1207295052562739202

Last edited:
You have it backwards. Greta being criticized has triggered you and your brethren.

She inserts herself into the debate and then - of course - becomes above reproach. That’s not how it works with or without autism.

Cool trick but it’s abuse no matter how one views it.

Reactions: FrankB and GVFTA
Only a fascist would applaud impeaching a President simply for asking to investigate corruption.
We have plenty of them in DC.

The precedent set by these clowns is going to be devastating. Any and all future D President with a R controlled House will be impeached.

Any future D President with an R House and R Senate will be removed.

Of course the opposite combinations are also true.

We have slid to a position of ungoverability.

Thank you Adam Schiff and Nancy Pelosi - who both are a stain from California that will never be erased.

Adam Schiff already on to the next target:

U.S.—Legislators have begun to hold hearings on impeaching Santa Claus after an overheard conversation seemed to imply he was offering a quid pro quo: gifts in exchange for good behavior.

Jul 5, 2018
Adam Schiff already on to the next target:

U.S.—Legislators have begun to hold hearings on impeaching Santa Claus after an overheard conversation seemed to imply he was offering a quid pro quo: gifts in exchange for good behavior.
The Dems are going to make sure they take their time and do the investigation properly so they can get it done by Christmas.

Reactions: Chris Gadsden
Fake news..sorry to burst your bubble..

Ahh...guilt by association..sorry, but I can say the same..
Rather a broad brush people painted all Army with after Calley/Medina fiasco..eh?

Tapping out of this one..back to the politics of the orange moron..
PBS frontline is fake news?

Frontline on PBS reported:
"Ultimately the careers of fourteen admirals and almost 300 naval aviators were scuttled or damaged by Tailhook. For example Secretary of the Navy H. Lawrence Garrett III and CNO Admiral Frank Kelso were both at Tailhook '91. Garrett ultimately resigned and Kelso retired early two years after the convention. Vice Admiral Richard Dunleavy, Deputy Chief of Naval Operations for Air Warfare, was demoted to a two-star Admiral (from a three-star Admiral) and retired because of the scandal. Rear Admiral Wilson Flagg, censured for failing to prevent the Tailhook conference scandal."

Hard to tell which of the 3 or 4 are actually a scottsocal sockpuppet..one of them are..

agree..but entertaining to pull the wee little chains of some of them..hope they enjoy a pence presidency..
I predict he'll pick Nikki as vice..won't make any difference..whomever runs as a DEM in 2020 , it'll be a walkover for them. Warren and Mayor Pete??.

What's the count..12 or so GOP senators privately say they'll vote to remove if the 'vote' is secret??
look at delusional world you are living in where you have worked yourself up to believe trump will be kicked by the senate and pence will become president.

Only a fascist would applaud impeaching a President simply for asking to investigate corruption.
did you and others here catch what the fisa court put out yesterday? Surprised me, because I thought everyone here in the echo chamber along with the fake news media told us that the fbi was not doing anything wrong.
this fisa was supported by the republicans forever along with democrats. Now we see what abuse of power the fbi were doing and there is no shock from the fake news media.

You have it backwards. Greta being criticized has triggered you and your brethren.

She inserts herself into the debate and then - of course - becomes above reproach. That’s not how it works with or without autism.

Cool trick but it’s abuse no matter how one views it.
Asperger's chris asperger's

She was working on 0 credibility while sailing in a gazzilion dollar carbon fiber yacht. zero -Carbon yacht they say- falling out of the chair laughing at all the shills who gobble that up.
She lost all hope when she wants to go firing squad on the politicians. those type of words are POS nazi - like.

did you and others here catch what the fisa court put out yesterday? Surprised me, because I thought everyone here in the echo chamber along with the fake news media told us that the fbi was not doing anything wrong.
this fisa was supported by the republicans forever along with democrats. Now we see what abuse of power the fbi were doing and there is no shock from the fake news media.
yes I did actually

Too bad that is not what Trump did. And definitely not the only obvious abuse of power that he has done while president. Impeachment is coming.....

If he could disprove the allegations by letting his people testify, why didn't he?

Loving it.... Finally getting his just desserts.
View: https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1207313493952802816

If that is where you get your news, that might explain why you didn't understand the methodology of the tax study we discussed the other day.

View: https://twitter.com/DavidAFrench/status/1207018856348303360
Again, this is so tired and worn out. David French is, of course, an imbecile.

Was it just a couple of weeks ago Progressive Democrats were lamenting the collapse of Kamala Harris’ campaign because the Democrat Party is loaded with Sexist, Misogynist Racists? Old White guys at the top of the ticket. Even AOC rolls with the Old White Dude. Shocking? Not in the least. When you are dumb as dirt you do dumb as dirt things. And French < AOC, so not much left to say.

The Green New Deal, Free Everything, divide and conquer Identity Politics, Death of Due Process are far more indicative of the death of a party than anything, or combination of things, Mr French can look down his nose at.. Not that he’s bright enough to figure that out on his own.

Assume all you want but I am actually concerned about the future of the US now that we have Pols on both side of the isle that act as asnine as anonymous people on a cycling forum.
Trump tried to use the power of his office to influence his own election. That is what should concern people. You can be critical of Democrats for a lot of things, but this impeachment shouldn't be one of them, especially when Trump refused to obey congressional subpoenas. I am glad it finally gave the craven dems a little backbone to start standing up to the authoritarian president.

Totally normal thing for the president to do.

View: https://twitter.com/abettel/status/1207073409542303744

Jul 5, 2018
Trump tried to use the power of his office to influence his own election. That is what should concern people. You can be critical of Democrats for a lot of things, but this impeachment shouldn't be one of them, especially when Trump refused to obey congressional subpoenas. I am glad it finally gave the craven dems a little backbone to start standing up to the authoritarian president.

Totally normal thing for the president to do.

View: https://twitter.com/abettel/status/1207073409542303744
Was that you in one of those pictures I posted up thread?

Jul 5, 2018
Cry harder, GVFTA. It won't change today's result one iota. Also, seek help..... You're going to need it.

If you think it is a new thing that congress-people are acting asinine, I suggest you take a little time away from your very important business and study history.
Your correct. Crying will obviously not change the results. People learned that 3 years ago. I learned that from studying the history of my first 3 years of life. I also could care less about Trump being impeached, just like I didn't care when Clinton was. It's meaningless for anyone other than the talking heads. I have no idea if Trump will win reelection or not, but either way, it won't be because of today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MarieDGarzai Non-Cycling Discussions 2