U.S. Politics

Page 2579 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You underestimate the size of animal rights activists. But then so does AOC.

At the time of his inauguration Trump had something like 3,500 legal cases going at the same time. Just because somebody makes an accusation doesn't mean whatever said is true. See Brett Kavanaugh.

Due process isn't a concept you embrace much, is it?

I think her resume is spectacular.

I don't see the 'shadiness' the way you do. Trump has an enterprise with global reach.. and he put himself out there in public ways most business people don't... from gambling to Television. He attracts a ton of attention and everything that goes along with it. Settling claims generally comes down to a business decision. Cases fought on principle are generally the one's that are the most expensive.

He's clearly not the former and so far hasn't been proven to be the latter.

http://www.nytimes.com/newsgraphics/2016/10/18/presidential-forecast-updates/newsletter.html

I remember seeing the NY Time meter (Needle?) in the 95% range for Hillary the morning of the election. Nate Siler was considered a heretic at the time because he was showing something in the mid-70's.

Virtually all the major vote forecasters, including Nate Silver’s FiveThirtyEight site, The New York Times Upshot and the Princeton Election Consortium, put Mrs. Clinton’s chances of winning in the 70 to 99 percent range.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/10/technology/the-data-said-clinton-would-win-why-you-shouldnt-have-believed-it.html
Thank you for the link. I know Ryan Grim at HuffPo had some wild number, so I was wondering if that was the one you were referring to. I think Silver has the best model as he weighs more variables. Occasionally 10 to 1 shots pay off (except when I bet on them).

I appreciate the response, but I think we have made our stances clear. I hope someone like Haley is nominated by the GOP. I think her strategy to get democrats to hate her instead of being a moderate who might woo independent voters is her best primary strategy. Otherwise, she is going to get Huntsman'd.
To this day Democrats have no idea why Hillary lost and have no intention of looking into it. It's why they will lose in November.
It is like 2018 never happened.

are you saying that the iranian people who live in the usa are not important in their political views? That is how what you write reads.

they being hollywood, they are the ones who are hypocritical. just a quick question why are you so argumentative? Do you also have something against rabbits?
No. If you are going to take the most negative interpretation of what I wrote, then there is not much sense in talking. Maybe your hypocrisy-meter is on the fritz. Here is the translation.

“To the brave and suffering Iranian people: I have stood with you since the beginning of my presidency and my government will continue to stand with you. We are following your protests closely. Your courage is inspiring,”

So inspiring that he has banned most of them from entering the country. It is extremely hypocritical. Yet, not a peep from you about it. BTW, Hollywood is not monolithic. Maybe try not to paint people with a broad brush and there would be fewer arguments. Just a suggestion.

Adding to the hypocrisy.

View: https://twitter.com/RadioFreeTom/status/1216816031693508608

No. If you are going to take the most negative interpretation of what I wrote, then there is not much sense in talking. Maybe your hypocrisy-meter is on the fritz. Here is the translation.

“To the brave and suffering Iranian people: I have stood with you since the beginning of my presidency and my government will continue to stand with you. We are following your protests closely. Your courage is inspiring,”

So inspiring that he has banned most of them from entering the country. It is extremely hypocritical. Yet, not a peep from you about it. BTW, Hollywood is not monolithic. Maybe try not to paint people with a broad brush and there would be fewer arguments. Just a suggestion.

Adding to the hypocrisy.

View: https://twitter.com/RadioFreeTom/status/1216816031693508608
what I need to do is come up with some curse words reply and then you will get it.

there has to be a vetting process for your immigrants or is that something you don't believe in? vetting is not hypocritical but realistic.

hollywood's majority have come off the rails. note the amount of people who do not take time to watch the award shows or how people react to some of the more vocal hollywood members. it is not flattering.

what I need to do is come up with some curse words reply and then you will get it.

there has to be a vetting process for your immigrants or is that something you don't believe in? vetting is not hypocritical but realistic.

hollywood's majority have come off the rails. note the amount of people who do not take time to watch the award shows or how people react to some of the more vocal hollywood members. it is not flattering.
People from Iran can't even travel here for visits. That has little to do with immigration. Travel visas should be allowed.
I am glad that he has enough time in his work day to troll democrats. Not like anything important is going on in the world.

(If true), really love our great unshakeable bond with Saudi Arabia. View: https://twitter.com/Tom_Winter/status/1216806793407541249

Last edited:
I’ll submit to you that the “raging” racism/sexism going on in the US isn’t anything like what you are seeing on your news outlet of choice.
no doubt that news sources all tend to go with what's trending and what's more sensational, but it's not like the racial/sexist tensions are a new thing for the US. Sure, it's no longer as brutal as the civil rights days 40/50 years ago... but, when you still have a need to have things like the 'black lives matter' movements to help 'raise awareness' that killing black people is wrong, and groups like the kkk coming well and truly out of the woodwork thanks to the current President's own racist/sexist behaviour, it doesn't bode well towards any non-white female presidential candidate...

and sure, it does come down to the actual candidate and how they run - Hillary was a terrible choice, as a card carrying member of the rich white elitists running the show, who thought that "it's my turn" was a valid campaign platform, before sitting back expecting to be voted in...

living here making an assessment about the racism or equality - it is not any worse than many european examples, in some ways it is better in some it is worse.
the equality issues seemed to have gotten worse the past 12 years, what does it mean? maybe too much social media fake outrage, entitlement mentality by the youth.
really? the "everyone is doing it" defense??
I wonder if Harvey's lawyers will try that one...

but, sure, plenty of right-wing groups gaining momentum around the world - still doesn't mean there's no problem, nor currently any chance for any non-white woman to be a successful presidential candidate

but, when you still have a need to have things like the 'black lives matter' movements to help 'raise awareness' that killing black people is wrong, and groups like the kkk coming well and truly out of the woodwork thanks to the current President's own racist/sexist behaviour, it doesn't bode well towards any non-white female presidential candidate...
We don't need BLM any more than we need the KKK. The racist President has done an awful lot for minorities in the past three years. Same with women.

The bleak economy appears to be tempering the willingness of Iran to escalate hostilities with the United States, its leaders cognizant that war could profoundly worsen national fortunes. In recent months, public anger over joblessness, economic anxiety and corruption has emerged as a potentially existential threat to Iran’s hard-line regime.

Only a week ago, such sentiments had been redirected by outrage over the Trump administration’s Jan. 3 killing of Iran’s top military commander, Maj. Gen. Qassim Suleimani. But protests flared anew over the weekend in Tehran, and then continued on Monday, after the government’s astonishing admission that it was — despite three days of denial — responsible for shooting down a Ukrainian jetliner.

The demonstrations were most pointedly an expression of contempt for the regime’s cover-up following its downing of the Ukrainian jet, which killed all 176 people on board. But the fury in the streets resonated as a rebuke for broader grievances — diminishing livelihoods, financial anxiety and the sense that the regime is at best impotent in the face of formidable troubles.

In sum, this is the unpalatable choice confronting the Iranian leadership: It can keep the economy going by continuing to steer credit to banks and industry, adding to the risks of an eventual banking disaster and hyperinflation. Or it can opt for austerity that would cause immediate public suffering, threatening more street demonstrations.

“That is the specter hanging over the Iranian economy,” Mr. Mazarei said. “The current economic situation is not sustainable.”

Don‘t think for a second that Erdogan, Xi and Putin aren‘t paying attention.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/13/business/economy/iran-economy.html

It is unfortunate that this thread has been taken over by trolls, unfortunately reasonable discussion appears to be a thing of the past. Of course this isn't limited to what is going on here, but is pretty much generalised.

Strangely, sometimes I wonder if opinions and ideas that I have developed over time, with much reading, listening, discussion and reflection, are reasonable when confronted by what in "normal" times I would have considered an alternative universe but now is becoming mainstream. It is all very unsettling.

It is unfortunate that this thread has been taken over by trolls, unfortunately reasonable discussion appears to be a thing of the past. Of course this isn't limited to what is going on here, but is pretty much generalised.

Strangely, sometimes I wonder if opinions and ideas that I have developed over time, with much reading, listening, discussion and reflection, are reasonable when confronted by what in "normal" times I would have considered an alternative universe but now is becoming mainstream. It is all very unsettling.
what exactly are you referring to?

Besides you, who here is trolling?

Reactions: F_Cance
Yeah, his work on women's rights and healthcare has been exemplary...
Trump is going to run on how he saved pre-existing condition coverage in health care. All while his administration is pursuing a lawsuit to invalidate all those protections. The key is that the red state AGs who are supporting this lawsuit with him want SCOTUS to decide the merits of the case...after the election.

I've said it before, but the most interesting aspect of this election is how independents in the midwest feel about an incumbent running as a bomb thrower. An unserious one at that.

View: https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/1217479059602640896

There aren’t many people on this planet dumber than Al Gore.. but Krugman is one of them.

This is the best evidence I have seen so far to bolster a skeptics position. If Krugman believes it then it’s not happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MarieDGarzai Non-Cycling Discussions 2