U.S. Politics

Page 2581 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the discussion was about the usa and that it was more like the 70's or 80's - i made a note that the largest polluters around the world are not doing anything to clean up or reduce. your article points right to that and the headline picture was from one of those countries.
This is an interesting discussion. The US is the largest CO2 importer along with many other Western Nations and China is the largest CO2 exporter, along with India, Russia etc. Essentially, that pollution is supporting the Western way of life. I would guess that other forms of pollution follow a similar trend.

Now it's clearly a symbiotic relationship. You can't blame the west and its rampant consumerism any more than you can blame China and it's desire to service that consumerism. As such, pointing the finger and saying "It's them, not us" doesn't seem incredibly useful.

Cleaning up your back yard by chucking everything into your neighbour's yard, then blaming them when your plants die isn't a very defensible position.

Skip the inferiority. It’s tedious. Is it the democracy of the internet that anything with a pulse things its feelings are factual? You criticized another poster’s “ opinion” yet can’t plausibly back it up.
is the air and water conditions in the usa worse than 1970 or 1980? i believe the overreaction that was posted that we are going in the wrong direction. I don't happen to agree with that.

granted the usa has some seriously messed up cities with homeless conditions. how much that contributes to water and air quality i have no idea. is it nasty and an eye sore? sure. when you have city council's and mayors who make setting up homeless encampment easy and not a crime then you get what you get.

This is an interesting discussion. The US is the largest CO2 importer along with many other Western Nations and China is the largest CO2 exporter, along with India, Russia etc. Essentially, that pollution is supporting the Western way of life. I would guess that other forms of pollution follow a similar trend.

Now it's clearly a symbiotic relationship. You can't blame the west and its rampant consumerism any more than you can blame China and it's desire to service that consumerism. As such, pointing the finger and saying "It's them, not us" doesn't seem incredibly useful.

Cleaning up your back yard by chucking everything into your neighbour's yard, then blaming them when your plants die isn't a very defensible position.
it seems to me that the usa and parts of europe have been cleaning up.

you can't blame the habit of throwing garbage onto the ground or into the ocean without having any proper waste disposal programs. that means those countries have a low level user issue. they have disregard to the planet, and need to be educated.

the usa and europe have education programs that promote the keeping clean and green. some places in asia are the same they have serious recycling programs and keep the planet clean.

sure the usa can do much better. especially in the recycling programs.

watching a few people twist themselves to blame the west for all of climate issues is part of the problem.

is the air and water conditions in the usa worse than 1970 or 1980? i believe the overreaction that was posted that we are going in the wrong direction. I don't happen to agree with that.

granted the usa has some seriously messed up cities with homeless conditions. how much that contributes to water and air quality i have no idea. is it nasty and an eye sore? sure. when you have city council's and mayors who make setting up homeless encampment easy and not a crime then you get what you get.
Setting aside KB's points and the exportation of rampant unnecessary consumerism along with its byproducts, let's see: have you done any reading on what fracking does to the environment? The fallout from industrial farming. About the actual conditions of the oceans that touch US shores. About how much garbage the west exports. About the toxic and carcinogenic external industrial conditions that are typically located near low income residences and neighborhoods.

So are you saying being homeless should be a crime? Good plan. Feeds right into the for-profit carceral system. I'm sure there are no better solutions. Nice to see neo-fascism setting up roost in this thread. I might guess that you propose nature is just there for profit extraction as well?

As to your other post, I don't think anyone remotely aware believes that the West is solely responsible for environmental conditions. Obviously much of the developing East in particular has a role to play.

Last edited:
Reactions: nevele neves
Setting aside KB's points and the exportation of rampant unnecessary consumerism along with its byproducts, let's see: have you done any reading on what fracking does to the environment? The fallout from industrial farming. About the actual conditions of the oceans that touch US shores. About how much garbage the west exports. About the toxic and carcinogenic external industrial conditions that are typically located near low income residences and neighborhoods.

So are you saying being homeless should be a crime? Good plan. Feeds right into the for-profit carceral system. I'm sure there are no better solutions. Nice to see neo-fascism setting up roost in this thread. I might guess that you propose nature is just there for profit extraction as well?

As to your other post, I don't think anyone remotely aware believes that the West is solely responsible for environmental conditions. Obviously much of the developing East in particular has a role to play.

its good to see that overreaction is setting up roost in this thread.

setting up tents and homeless encampments should be illegal yes. there are shelters for a reason, the fiasco going on around the country is unsanitary and dangerous. how you can't see that is beyond reality.

So you haven't read about any of those things? Overreaction? Did I say the encampments were sanitary and safe? Don't believe I did. I asked if you wanted to criminalize homelessness. Yes, there are shelters. But they're overcrowded and neither sanitary nor safe. And the reason they're there is for the lack of political will to actually prevent homelessness. But I suppose you don't want to think about that either.

Last edited:
it seems to me that the usa and parts of europe have been cleaning up.

you can't blame the habit of throwing garbage onto the ground or into the ocean without having any proper waste disposal programs. that means those countries have a low level user issue. they have disregard to the planet, and need to be educated.

the usa and europe have education programs that promote the keeping clean and green. some places in asia are the same they have serious recycling programs and keep the planet clean.

sure the usa can do much better. especially in the recycling programs.

watching a few people twist themselves to blame the west for all of climate issues is part of the problem.

So you haven't read about any of those things? Overreaction? Did I say the encampments were sanitary and safe? Don't believe I did. I asked if you wanted to criminalize homelessness. Yes, there are shelters. But they're overcrowded and neither sanitary nor safe. And the reason they're there is for the lack of political will to actually prevent homelessness. But I suppose you don't want to think about that either.

encampments should be illegal. homelessness is not a crime. your hyperventilation about the environment is a problem.

Do the roads you drive on here in the USA not have trash strewn by the side of the road? I was on the 295 this weekend and I can report that there was garbage everywhere. My feeling is that this was not due to the homeless population.

Trump this morning:
"To embrace the possibilities of tomorrow, we must reject the perennial prophets of doom and their predictions of the apocalypse,"
"This is not a time for pessimism. This is a time for optimism. Fear and doubt is not a good thought process because this is a time for tremendous hope and joy and optimism and action,"
Trump earlier this weekend.
View: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1218674016942219265

It’s true that fear and doubt won’t sell useless golf resorts. Best direct those sentiments at a few thousand homeless or undocumented immigrants

Poor Progressives getting smoked by Hillary yet again.

“He was in Congress for years. He had one senator support him. Nobody likes him, nobody wants to work with him, he got nothing done. He was a career politician. It’s all just baloney and I feel so bad that people got sucked into it.”

“I’m not going to go there yet. We’re still in a very vigorous primary season. I will say, however, that it’s not only him, it’s the culture around him. It’s his leadership team. It’s his prominent supporters. It’s his online Bernie Bros and their relentless attacks on lots of his competitors, particularly the women.”

It really is too bad for Hillary she does’t have DWS and Donna Brazille to completely skewer Bernie one last time.

A question for the group: Can we agree that Hillary is among the most contemptible human beings to ever walk the face of the earth?

Reactions: gobuck
Do the roads you drive on here in the USA not have trash strewn by the side of the road? I was on the 295 this weekend and I can report that there was garbage everywhere. My feeling is that this was not due to the homeless population.

Trump this morning:

Trump earlier this weekend.
View: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1218674016942219265
yes it seems that usa is causing all of the planets issues. perfect example when someone tries to say that the problem is not with one country you get a few who want to start over reactions. turns off anyone.

A question for the group: Can we agree that Hillary is among the most contemptible human beings to ever walk the face of the earth?
No. But neither is Trump. Both are just garden-variety despicable for the most part.
yes it seems that usa is causing all of the planets issues. perfect example when someone tries to say that the problem is not with one country you get a few who want to start over reactions. turns off anyone.
If at first the straw man does not succeed. Try, try again. Please rebut arguments people are actually making for once.

Last edited:
False Choices: The Faux Feminism of Hillary Rodham Clinton is a good reminder of all of the ways, through a long political career, Clinton has valued power over justice…As False Choices makes clear, this election is not a progressive advancement, it is simply more of the same.”
In False Choices, a detailed look at Hillary Clinton’s track record on welfare, Wall Street, criminal justice, education, and war reveals that she has advanced laws and policies that have done real harm to the lives of women and children across the country and the globe. This well-researched collection of essays restores to feminism its revolutionary meaning, and outlines how it could transform the United States and its relation to the world.

setting up tents and homeless encampments should be illegal yes. there are shelters for a reason, the fiasco going on around the country is unsanitary and dangerous. how you can't see that is beyond reality.
yeah, folks on the street should be turned into criminals for seeking or creating some form of shelter, especially now during winter...
good thing we ignore the how and why they're on the street or the society that puts them there... but, but, they're "unsanitary and dangerous"... ewww!!

priorities, eh?

Reactions: djpbaltimore
As many were also quick to note, Sanders continues to rank as America’s most popular Senator while Clinton’s subterranean approval ratings quite literally rival Donald Trump’s. Clinton’s dismissal of Sanders, a longtime political outsider, as a “career politician” is also a bit rich given her own history as Washington’s consummate political insider, and her contention to have known nothing about the activities of close ally Harvey Weinstein (whose behavior was an open secret) deserves to raise some eyebrows.

Reactions: gobuck
Speaking of the southern border of the USA, I remember reading in the American periodical National Geographic, maybe 20? years ago back when magazines weren't afraid of a Twitter backlash for speaking the truth, that illegal border crossers were causing permanent damage to sensitive ecosystems. Of course such a thing could not be discussed in current publications without accusations of all sorts being bandied about along with the threat of boycotting advertisers, etc.

Reactions: nevele neves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MarieDGarzai Non-Cycling Discussions 2