• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

U.S. Politics

Page 320 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 9, 2009
Glenn_Wilson said:
Yeah good times.

When I was a kid growing up we could not afford Beebe guns.

We collected aerosol cans and we would start a giant fire from old tires and take a galvanized 3 feet of 3inch pipe and put the cans into the pipe, a minute later sometimes 2 the can would explode up the tube and go off in any given direction. A make shift mortar. Good times those were. (good on us for recycling the old tires and aerosol cans.)
One time we started launching a metal garbage can with M80s. Got it about 10 feet off the ground with 3 of them, wrap the fuses together, light, set can upside down on top, stand back and watch.:D
Once that became old we decided to see how many cinderblocks we could lift with our little rocket. It's two, by the way. At two the can comes apart at the seams and some of the corrugations and sends everyone diving for cover to avoid the shrapnel. Somehow all of our little crowd lived through childhood.:D

Mar 17, 2009
Scott SoCal said:
Probably, but you might be surprised to know you appear to be in the minority;

Alpe d'Huez said:
I find it kind of fascinating, and telling, that people trusted the government during Nixon's presidency more than in the last decade. (I find myself in that majority, btw.)
maybe it has something to do with things like this:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2013/03/barack_obama_promised_transparency_the_white_house_is_as_opaque_secretive.html

Mar 17, 2009
Glenn_Wilson said:
Yeah good times.

When I was a kid growing up we could not afford Beebe guns.

We collected aerosol cans and we would start a giant fire from old tires and take a galvanized 3 feet of 3inch pipe and put the cans into the pipe, a minute later sometimes 2 the can would explode up the tube and go off in any given direction. A make shift mortar. Good times those were. (good on us for recycling the old tires and aerosol cans.)
Hugh Januss said:
One time we started launching a metal garbage can with M80s. Got it about 10 feet off the ground with 3 of them, wrap the fuses together, light, set can upside down on top, stand back and watch.:D
Once that became old we decided to see how many cinderblocks we could lift with our little rocket. It's two, by the way. At two the can comes apart at the seams and some of the corrugations and sends everyone diving for cover to avoid the shrapnel. Somehow all of our little crowd lived through childhood.:D
hoodlums!! we spent our time doing the lord's work :D

May 27, 2012
Scott SoCal said:
Not so much.

Politics went off the rails with Teddy Kennedy attempting to personally destroy Robert Bork.

It has not been the same since. Sorry.
You don't think it might have had some roots in the fact that the President of the United States of America, who was a Republican, had some people break into the Democratic National Committee HQ to steal political secrets? I think your timeline is off Scott. I don't remember Kennedy ordering Bork's house broke into.

Aug 10, 2010
Scott SoCal said:
Yeah, you sound just like Kennedy.

And in the next breath you'll deplore the state of political discourse.

Self awareness? Not so much, eh?
Bork was the filthiest corrupt hack. Elliott Richardson was a man of honor and a fine prosecutor. Robert Bork was a ***** (woman who sells herself for money).

Rethink Bork, and forget his politics. He was a scumbag. If you don't know the story of the Saturday Night Massacre, you should read up about it. FYI: Bork was Nixon's hatchetman. He was the man who fired the "independent" special prosecutor, Archibald Cox.

Maybe you favor filth like him on the Supreme Court--it is the ultimate reward. I don't.

Nov 8, 2012
MarkvW said:
Bork was the filthiest corrupt hack. Elliott Richardson was a man of honor and a fine prosecutor. Robert Bork was a ***** (woman who sells herself for money).

Rethink Bork, and forget his politics. He was a scumbag. If you don't know the story of the Saturday Night Massacre, you should read up about it. FYI: Bork was Nixon's hatchetman. He was the man who fired the "independent" special prosecutor, Archibald Cox.

Maybe you favor filth like him on the Supreme Court--it is the ultimate reward. I don't.
Gee Mark, thanks so much for the history lesson.

You guys jumped the shark. Yet you guys cry a river about civility.

Not that I really give a ****, but don't moan about what you created. Congratulations, I guess.

Poison the well and you get what you get.

Nov 8, 2012
ChewbaccaD said:
You don't think it might have had some roots in the fact that the President of the United States of America, who was a Republican, had some people break into the Democratic National Committee HQ to steal political secrets? I think your timeline is off Scott. I don't remember Kennedy ordering Bork's house broke into.
You are comparing criminality with civility.

Kennedy was way over the top on the Bork hearings. So much so his material gets used by the left over and over and over and over and over....

It's pathetic and predictable and it's the left in this country today.

Jul 9, 2009
Scott SoCal said:

Kennedy was way over the top on the Bork hearings. So much so his material gets used by the left over and over and over and over and over....

Oh yeah, Republicans break in an steal stuff, but Democrats say mean things and that is much much worse. Waaaaaaaa.
Limbaugh and his whole crowd is so highbrow, but those left wing commentators like uhm, well who's the really nasty one who makes up a lot of stuff.....uhm, you know.....what's his name? .....Coombs? Colmes? Yeah that guy, he's so mean.
Oh and being uncivil is how much worse than being criminal?

Jun 1, 2011
This is a long one if you care to read. A round-about historical view.

Consider the cultural differences of the Anglo vs. Spanish (Hispanic) views of Billy the Kid in Richard Benke's article on Rudolfo Anaya's play "Billy the Kid." Consider, especially the "what if compassion" conclusion.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=437&dat=19970806&id=rqouAAAAIBAJ&sjid=AjIDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4545,2190070

To broaden the context more relevant to this thread at the moment link to the Lincoln County War.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_County_War

and then to the Governor Lew Wallace link and read about his "deal" with Billy under Wallace's time as the territorial governor here.

http://www.newmexicohistory.org/filedetails.php?fileID=518

The Hispanic view is considerably valid in my view as opposed to the more dominant the Anglo version and explains my avatar to some degree, although I do not advocate violence. That's a very poor choice. The broader context, in brief, is that New Mexico and also Arizona remained U.S. Federal territories for 60 years if you count the 12 under military occupation. The reason? Basically the WASP mentality toward the largely Catholic Spanish populations. Statehood for both territories was long and strongly oppose in Washington bound in mistrust. The sparse population of both would hardly be a concern as they would relate to few seats in the House of Representatives, but the four, combined seats in the Senate would. The "federal" New Mexico was hugely corrupt and the Regulators were a violent uprising against one it's factions in Dolan-Murphy, dubbed "The House." Ironically, McCarty, alias Billy Bonney, was working for Englishman adventurer John H. Tunstall who, with other investors, sought to oppose the Dolan-Murphy monopoly. Tunstall's murder sparked the Lincoln County War, and Billy fell-in with those who called themselves Regulators, a faction thought lawful after being deputized by municipal judge, Gregorio Trujillo. The Regulators violence eventually wore out their welcome with local citizens as as noted in the links. It is true the Kid testified against many participants in the war in return for pardon by then Governor, Lew Wallace. Wallace back away from the deal and Billy was arrested and convicted of murder. Most of the other Regulators fled the territory and were never brought the justice. Billy's violent escape from the Lincoln County Jail earned him the name Billy the Kid as an invention of the Las Vegas (NM) Gazette. Las Vegas was the final rail stop in New Mexico and, hence, had the telegraph. Soon the name Billy the Kid was known nation-wide in every household as story grew by leaps-and-bounds in exagerrated press accounts. Henry McCarty lived the last six-months of his life as Billy the Kid before being gun-downed by buffalo-hunter, turned sheriff, Pat Garrett. Had Billy died in the Lincoln War, he would have only been another name on the roster of deaths. New Mexico and Arizona received statehood in 1912 long after the Lincoln county war of the 1870s.

The number of combatants in the "war" were relatively small, but long-story-short, it does serve as a microcosm to recent events and attitudes. Gun violence or uprising is NOT a solution. You have a vote, use it, but history seems ripe with others who have viewed it otherwise as did "The Regulators."

Billy the Kid was just a pawn in a much bigger game. Many have profited by him.

Take the straight path and turn neither to the left or the right.

A full account:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/billy-the-kid-robert-m-utley/1111544375

Utley's book is a good take and best represents a balanced view, from what I know, and I have drawn from it here.
However, the term Mexican is usually not used by those of original Spanish descent here as they were far removed from events to the south and their identity remains as Spanish Americans.

Scott SoCal said:

Uh, the right in the 50s Scott? I suppose that was all apple pie?

Nov 8, 2012
Hugh Januss said:
Oh yeah, Republicans break in an steal stuff, but Democrats say mean things and that is much much worse. Waaaaaaaa.
Limbaugh and his whole crowd is so highbrow, but those left wing commentators like uhm, well who's the really nasty one who makes up a lot of stuff.....uhm, you know.....what's his name? .....Coombs? Colmes? Yeah that guy, he's so mean.
They are different conversations. That is all.

MarkvW wrote;

Nixon was an American disaster. He blazed the trail for the divisive politics we have today.
That's what I was responding to. If you want to talk about criminality in politics I'd be happy to engage.

Nov 8, 2012
Oops.

ObamaCare Tax Increases Are Double Original Estimate

The Joint Committee on Taxation recently released a 96 page report on the tax provisions associated with Affordable Care Act. The report describes the 21 tax increases included in Obamacare, totaling $1.058 trillion – a steep increase from initial assessment, according to the Tax Prof Blog. The summer 2012 estimate is nearly twice the $569 billion estimate produced at the time of the passage of the law in March 2010.
Makes you wonder if ACA would have passed had those advocating for it had told anything like the truth.

Meh, what's another trillion dollar tax increase...

http://www.economicpolicyjournal.com/2013/03/tax-prof-obamacare-tax-increases-are.html

Jun 1, 2011
Hugh Januss said:
Kennedy order the first American troops into Vietnam as well as the CIA planned Bay of Pigs invasion of Cuba, but I will cut him a little slack as he was poorly advised. Still, both, especially Vietnam, were to have disastrous consequences not only in the toll on American lives, but horrific casualties to the Vietnamese.

Sep 10, 2009
The return of Paul Ryan and the even bigger Magic Tax Reform Asterisk.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/03/paul-ryans-tax-math-just-became-more-magical/273959/

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/03/paul-ryans-budget-simplified-save-the-rich-spare-the-old-forget-the-poor/273944/

But this budget is as notable for what it cuts as for what it doesn't cut. Social Security, defense, and Medicare -- together making up about half of the federal budget -- would scarcely be cut at all. After all, it's hard to win a Republican election if you abandon old voters and the defense industry...

One might hope that, if the poor lose in spending cuts, the rich might lose in tax hikes? Oh my, if you have ever read a Ryan budget before, you are laughing uproariously at the suggestion. The tax plan would cut the top rate to 25 percent -- a 15-point reduction for income above $450,00 -- but somehow it would also collect the same amount of revenue as the president's current policy. Quick math: If you cut tax rates for the top 0.1 percent in half, the only way to make the same amount of money is (a) to practically wipe out all of their tax advantages or (b) to raise taxes disproportionately on the bottom 99.9 percent. To be clear: As written, this is almost certainly a plan to raise taxes on the same lower-middle class which is also getting hit with massive spending cuts.
How anyone still takes this guy seriously is beyond me. What a ****ing joke.

Dec 7, 2010
BroDeal said:
It's to drive up ammo prices.
Well yeah.

No one said anything about the amount of ammunition that they have on order but the article does not even take into account that they will need some ammunition for the range. They have to be qualified with weapons don't they? If so then they need ammunition to fire down range.

Anyhow it is a fact that this will drive up the ammunition cost.

Dec 7, 2010
BillytheKid said:
Kennedy order the first American troops into Vietnam as well as the CIA planned Bay of Pigs invasion of Cuba, but I will cut him a little slack as he was poorly advised. Still, both, especially Vietnam, were to have disastrous consequences not only in the toll on American lives, but horrific casualties to the Vietnamese.
President Kennedy is a golden child who could do no wrong. :eek:

His family was or would never be involved in any criminal activities. :rolleyes:

Besides we should focus all of the negative comments on the current disaster of a President. This guy is totally off the rails and is a comie-muslim.

Jun 1, 2011
MarkvW said:

Nixon was revealed. His efforts at political espionage are almost comical. Almost. The saving grace was there were enough moderate Republican votes to impeach him and he resigned before trial in the Senate.

Legislation that ensued restricted presidential powers in part or that was the bandwagon of the day, but now that the shoes on the other foot, and long awaited goals are at hand, not one left hand is touching the breaks on the descent as in might take out the front wheel.

Nixon is a good example of the misuse of the Executive, but he is a singular example. How much more filthy water has flown under bridge from the beginning of the country on both sides.

Like I said, take the strait path, or in-other-words, hedge you bets when you vote. Big money always backs the "strong horse." The ideals are noble, but reality is often in the gutter.

Why not buy up all the ammo. 1.6 billion rounds? If the gun's not loaded, it don't shoot? If you cannot have it one way, then take it another.

Might makes right. No political faction ever, wherever, has really abandoned the tactic.

Crude, but effective.

Sep 10, 2009
Well duh. This is the entire point of voter ID laws.

As a handful of state legislatures around the country consider enacting stricter voter ID laws, a new study finds that young people – and especially young minorities – are disproportionately affected by those laws when they go into effect.

According to the study, previewed before its release to POLITICO, significantly more minority youths age 18-29 were asked to show identification than white youth: 72.9 percent of black youth were asked for ID, compared with 60.8 percent of Latino youth and 50.8 percent of white youth.

Even in states where there are no voter ID laws on the books, 65.5 percent of black youth were asked to show ID at the polls, compared with 55.3 percent of Latino youth and 42.8 percent of white youth.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/03/study-finds-voter-id-laws-hurt-young-minorities-88773.html#ixzz2NRBo5SIw

Dec 7, 2010
BillytheKid said:
This is a long one if you care to read. A round-about historical view.

Consider the cultural differences of the Anglo vs. Spanish (Hispanic) views of Billy the Kid in Richard Benke's article on Rudolfo Anaya's play "Billy the Kid." Consider, especially the "what if compassion" conclusion.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=437&dat=19970806&id=rqouAAAAIBAJ&sjid=AjIDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4545,2190070

To broaden the context more relevant to this thread at the moment link to the Lincoln County War.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_County_War

and then to the Governor Lew Wallace link and read about his "deal" with Billy under Wallace's time as the territorial governor here.

http://www.newmexicohistory.org/filedetails.php?fileID=518

The Hispanic view is considerably valid in my view as opposed to the more dominant the Anglo version and explains my avatar to some degree, although I do not advocate violence. That's a very poor choice. The broader context, in brief, is that New Mexico and also Arizona remained U.S. Federal territories for 60 years if you count the 12 under military occupation. The reason? Basically the WASP mentality toward the largely Catholic Spanish populations. Statehood for both territories was long and strongly oppose in Washington bound in mistrust. The sparse population of both would hardly be a concern as they would relate to few seats in the House of Representatives, but the four, combined seats in the Senate would. The "federal" New Mexico was hugely corrupt and the Regulators were a violent uprising against one it's factions in Dolan-Murphy, dubbed "The House." Ironically, McCarty, alias Billy Bonney, was working for Englishman adventurer John H. Tunstall who, with other investors, sought to oppose the Dolan-Murphy monopoly. Tunstall's murder sparked the Lincoln County War, and Billy fell-in with those who called themselves Regulators, a faction thought lawful after being deputized by municipal judge, Gregorio Trujillo. The Regulators violence eventually wore out their welcome with local citizens as as noted in the links. It is true the Kid testified against many participants in the war in return for pardon by then Governor, Lew Wallace. Wallace back away from the deal and Billy was arrested and convicted of murder. Most of the other Regulators fled the territory and were never brought the justice. Billy's violent escape from the Lincoln County Jail earned him the name Billy the Kid as an invention of the Las Vegas (NM) Gazette. Las Vegas was the final rail stop in New Mexico and, hence, had the telegraph. Soon the name Billy the Kid was known nation-wide in every household as story grew by leaps-and-bounds in exagerrated press accounts. Henry McCarty lived the last six-months of his life as Billy the Kid before being gun-downed by buffalo-hunter, turned sheriff, Pat Garrett. Had Billy died in the Lincoln War, he would have only been another name on the roster of deaths. New Mexico and Arizona received statehood in 1912 long after the Lincoln county war of the 1870s.

The number of combatants in the "war" were relatively small, but long-story-short, it does serve as a microcosm to recent events and attitudes. Gun violence or uprising is NOT a solution. You have a vote, use it, but history seems ripe with others who have viewed it otherwise as did "The Regulators."

Billy the Kid was just a pawn in a much bigger game. Many have profited by him.

Take the straight path and turn neither to the left or the right.

A full account:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/billy-the-kid-robert-m-utley/1111544375

Utley's book is a good take and best represents a balanced view, from what I know, and I have drawn from it here.
However, the term Mexican is usually not used by those of original Spanish descent here as they were far removed from events to the south and their identity remains as Spanish Americans.
Not sure I follow what you are getting at.

Merikah bad?

Guns bad?

Nov 8, 2012
VeloCity said:
Well duh. This is the entire point of voter ID laws.
Yeah, we sure don't want to know who's voting.

Meanwhile, minimum wage and Obamacare really are hurting young minorities.

University of California at Irvine economist David Neumark has looked at more than 100 major academic studies on the minimum wage, and he says the White House claim of de minimis job losses "grossly misstates the weight of the evidence." About 85% of the studies "find a negative employment effect on low-skilled workers."
Well, Duh.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323478004578302510280314712.html

Health insurance costs are now dramatically shifted onto the backs of younger, healthier adults. Proponents of the ACA claim that those shunning insurance are responsible for shifting massive costs to insured Americans, thereby raising insurance prices significantly without the ACA’s individual mandate. This is factually false. Generally, the population at whom the mandate is directed – those who voluntarily do not buy insurance and are not eligible for current government insurance – tend to be younger, healthier, and use far less medical care, on average about $850 and only $56 per year in emergency care. Based on both household survey and provider data, uninsured health care shifts only 0.8% to at most 1.7% of expenditures toward those already insured.

The truth is that the health law’s individual mandate was created for one major reason – to force millions of younger, healthier Americans to pay more for insurance than they receive in benefits to subsidize the rise in insurance premiums directly caused by the ACA itself.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottatlas/2012/07/31/wheres-the-outrage-from-young-americans-about-obamas-health-reforms/

The modern left. Pfft.

Jun 1, 2011
Glenn_Wilson said:
President Kennedy is a golden child who could do no wrong. :eek:

His family was or would never be involved in any criminal activities. :rolleyes:

Besides we should focus all of the negative comments on the current disaster of a President. This guy is totally off the rails and is a comie-muslim.
True of the daddy Joe, but we are talking about the prohibition of alcohol, a substance which is the laxative of politics unless you prefer cocaine. What better way to buy yourself political power, but not to be outdone by many afar of the Kennedy family.

President Obama is a man of a belief system that is based on the just reality of racism in America, but I do oppose much of his social justice agenda which at its core base, takes on aspects of vendetta. But labeling and name calling get you nowhere. Emotional reasoning on both sides futile. Hedge your bets and hope for the best.

Guns prohibition, like alcohol before it, would likely only erupt in carnage in the U.S. Guns, historically distant, have been more of necessity in America to feed mouths here and that tradition lives on in hunting with many, but I do agree that a safety valve against the aspects of tyranny was at the heart of the Second Amendment. So those opposed to it in the modern era should attempt to amend it as governed by the law. To be seen by all and voted on accordingly.

I do support the Second Amendment, but I do not own a gun. I support the Constitution, although it has so often been subverted to the point that appeal to abandon it, I can see it as the ideal of many. The ideal of the Constitution, has yet to be fulfilled. People come from there roads in life. That makes for the differences in the ideas in the ways to about achieving it's true intent. It still has vast potential. Socialism, even with good intentions in mind, subverts that ideal in the end because it concentrates to much power in the hands of too few, not that unabashed Capitalism does not do the same. I will always revert to the argument that human nature corrupts any political structure no matter how just the cause. Hubris.

Jun 1, 2011
Glenn_Wilson said:
Not sure I follow what you are getting at.

Merikah bad?

Guns bad?
Guns are not bad, but unfortunately people do bad things with them. If it is the will of the people to amend the Second Amendment, then by process of the Constitution do it. Don't use the back door and buy up all the bullets in the name of homeland security.:rolleyes:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS