• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

U.S. Politics

Page 340 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 22, 2009
Scott SoCal said:
The CEO of Costco supports all things democrat but he's responsible for very similar tactics you attribute to Walmart.

I have been to Walmart and I just don't get why they are so successful. I don't shop there either. I try and support the local business too as I own one.

But I will say this: the left hates Walmart for political reasons first and every other issue in on a very distant second tier.
No Scott, the left hates Walmart because they refuse to pay their people a 'living wage'. And Costco gets the thumbs up because they do pay a living wage. It is as simple and straightforward as that.

Nov 8, 2012
Amsterhammer said:
No Scott, the left hates Walmart because they refuse to pay their people a 'living wage'. And Costco gets the thumbs up because they do pay a living wage. It is as simple and straightforward as that.
And the sand shifts again. The left hates Walmart because of tactics, putting mom and pop stores out and supporting Republicans.

The left loves Costco because of tactics, putting mom and pop stores out and supporting democrats.

Why doesn't Costco double the wages of their workers? That would really put them high on the list, right?

Costco caters to a much more affluent consumer. Much higher average tickets at check out, higher margins. Walmart and SAMs Club cater to the average consumer and appeal on a low price point basis. They cannot compete with high wage earning employees and they don't employ those that Costco does. Costco can afford to pay more for a higher quality employee... and the CEO brags about that.

One would think the left would applaud Walmart for hiring the low quality employee in a business model that serves the average to below average income American very well.

May 27, 2012
Scott SoCal said:
Shop at a supermarket?
Of course, it is almost impossible not to. However, over 1/3rd of our food budget is spent at a local organic grocery store Healthy Home Market from late fall to early spring. From late spring till early fall, we buy over half of our groceries from that store and the local farmer's markets.

Scott SoCal said:
Buy an assembly line produced automobile?
I am not aware of any local car companies that were shut down because of large worldwide automobile manufacturers. And to suggest that their impact on communities is in any way similar to Walmart is willful distortion.

Scott SoCal said:
Shop at Home Depot or Lowe's?
I do, but whenever I can get something from Blackhawk Hardware, I do. They are locally owned and operated.

Scott SoCal said:
I bet you have an Apple product or two.
I don't know of any local phone manufactures that were destroyed by Apple.

Scott SoCal said:
How about dining preferences? Go out to dinner at any big national chain restaurants?
Absolutely NOT. Dish, Sushi Guru, Le's Sandwiches and Cafe, Maverick Taco, Sauceman's BBQ, The Peculiar Rabbit, Harvest Moon Grille, and TEN Park Lanes.

Scott SoCal said:
Hypocrite and fool. Plain and simple, bad combination, but completely unsurprising.
I would suggest you take the time to take the same care as I do in choosing where you shop. You will benefit your neighborhood and local economy much more.

Nov 8, 2012
ChewbaccaD said:
Of course, it is almost impossible not to. However, over 1/3rd of our food budget is spent at a local organic grocery store Healthy Home Market from late fall to early spring. From late spring till early fall, we buy over half of our groceries from that store and the local farmer's markets.

I am not aware of any local car companies that were shut down because of large worldwide automobile manufacturers. And to suggest that their impact on communities is in any way similar to Walmart is willful distortion.

I do, but whenever I can get something from Blackhawk Hardware, I do. They are locally owned and operated.

Absolutely NOT. Dish, Sushi Guru, Le's Sandwiches and Cafe, Maverick Taco, Sauceman's BBQ, The Peculiar Rabbit, Harvest Moon Grille, and TEN Park Lanes.

I would suggest you take the time to take the same care as I do in choosing where you shop. You will benefit your neighborhood and local economy much more.
As usual, we are not that far apart. I trend towards the local mom and pop as often as I can. But I don't begrudge the Walmarts of the world either.

The marketplace is big enough for everybody. But if you look through history successful business models come and go. I mention automobiles because of the change that came about with the assembly line. Apple uses cheap Chinese labor yet they are embraced by much of the left. Cool kids on the block I guess.

May 27, 2012
Scott SoCal said:
The CEO of Costco supports all things democrat but he's responsible for very similar tactics you attribute to Walmart.

I have been to Walmart and I just don't get why they are so successful. I don't shop there either. I try and support the local business too as I own one.

But I will say this: the left hates Walmart for political reasons first and every other issue in on a very distant second tier.
I hate Walmart because of the destruction it wrought on small communities. Period.

Sep 10, 2009
Yep.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/18/opinion/the-senate-fails-americans-on-gun-bills.html?hp&_r=0&gwh=ECA2A87B6B5F08861D8E9EEDAC0CA4C9

Newtown, in the end, changed nothing; the overwhelming national consensus to tighten a ridiculously lax set of gun laws was stopped cold. That’s because the only thing that mattered to these lawmakers was a blind and unthinking fealty to the whims of the gun lobby.

The National Rifle Association once supported the expansion of background checks, but it decided this time that President Obama and gun-control advocates could not be allowed even a scintilla of a victory, no matter how sensible. That group, and others even more militant, wanted to make sure not one bill emerged from the Newtown shooting, and they got their way. A vast majority of Republicans meekly followed along, joined by a few nervous red-state Democrats, giving far more weight to a small, shrill and largely rural faction than to the country’s overwhelming need for safety and sanity.
The entire point of background checks was to help prevent guns from falling into the hands of criminals and the "mentally ill", the very things that Rs (and Scott) keep telling us are the root of the problem. And still they voted no. One has to think that maybe, perhaps, "criminals" and "mentally ill" is just a ruse to do what Rs do best when it comes to anything, from climate change to jobs to health care to gun violence - absolutely nothing at all.

Nov 8, 2012
VeloCity said:
Yep.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/18/opinion/the-senate-fails-americans-on-gun-bills.html?hp&_r=0&gwh=ECA2A87B6B5F08861D8E9EEDAC0CA4C9

The entire point of background checks was to help prevent guns from falling into the hands of criminals and the "mentally ill", the very things that Rs (and Scott) keep telling us are the root of the problem. And still they voted no. One has to think that maybe, perhaps, "criminals" and "mentally ill" is just a ruse to do what Rs do best when it comes to anything, from climate change to jobs to health care to gun violence - absolutely nothing at all.

?? I didn't vote for anything.

But, tell me, what's going on with Max Baucus? Earlier this week he grilled Sebelius then he goes against the prez on background checks.

Btw, would the bill have passed if all the D's voted for it? Just checking.

Edit: it appears it would still have fallen short if all D's voted for the bill by one vote. I am curious why the D's didn't fall in line on this issue.

Sep 10, 2009
Scott SoCal said:
?? I didn't vote for anything.
Rs, dude.

But, tell me, what's going on with Max Baucus? Earlier this week he grilled Sebelius then he goes against the prez on background checks.

Btw, would the bill have passed if all the D's voted for it? Just checking.
Yep. But let's count: 4 Ds voted no. 41 Rs voted no. Ten times as many. Wasn't the D's who killed it, it was the "let's do something about preventing guns from falling into the hands of criminals and the mentally ill" Rs. Well, here was a bill that aimed to help do that, and they still fell in line with the NRA (which not long ago strongly backed the exact sort of background checks that were included in this bill).

Be just absolutely comedic how Pavlovian the Rs are toward the NRA if it weren't for the fact that passing this bill could've saved thousands of lives over the years.

One good thing might come of it, though: pretty clear that Obama's had it trying to work with Rs, the frustration in his voice during his remarks afterward was palpable. If the Rs aren't willing to compromise on an issue that 90% of the American people support, Obama and the Ds hopefully will stop trying and just start doing.

Sep 10, 2009
See now Scott, this is what real fraud looks like.

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/ex-chief-of-staff-to-confirm-bachmann-finance?ref=fpb

Andy Parrish, former chief-of-staff to Rep. Michele Bachmann's (R-MN), is expected to break his silence on allegations made by another aide that her 2012 presidential campaign violated Iowa Senate rules in making improper payments to its state chairman. The Star Tribune reports:

Until now, Parrish has been identified by the committee only as “Witness A,” Gilmore said.

“The time has come to confirm that ‘Witness A’ is Andy Parrish, and he’ll be providing an affidavit with supporting material that completely supports the representations previously made by Peter Waldron,” Gilmore said.
buh-bye Michelle.

Nov 8, 2012
VeloCity said:
Rs, dude.

Yep. But let's count: 4 Ds voted no. 41 Rs voted no. Ten times as many. Wasn't the D's who killed it.
Yes, the minority party strikes again.

We just gotta do something about the minority party aka the loyal opposition.

Nov 8, 2012
VeloCity said:
Rs, dude.

Yep. But let's count: 4 Ds voted no. 41 Rs voted no. Ten times as many. Wasn't the D's who killed it, it was the "let's do something about preventing guns from falling into the hands of criminals and the mentally ill" Rs. Well, here was a bill that aimed to help do that, and they still fell in line with the NRA (which not long ago strongly backed the exact sort of background checks that were included in this bill).

Be just absolute comedic how Pavlovian the Rs are toward the NRA if it weren't for the fact that passing this bill could've saved thousands of lives over the years.

Agreed. Btw, what in the bill would have prevented Newtown?

Jun 22, 2009
Scott SoCal said:
I'm just guessing here, but maybe the shooter's insane 'prepper' mother might not have been able to purchase her arsenal?

It's kind of depressing how nobody seems to think that an official commission's findings that Bubba and his puppet masters were guilty of condoning the widespread use of torture (despite their lying denials,) is worthy of comment. But hey, it had to be done, 'national security' and all......

Dec 7, 2010
MarkvW said:
Don't shop at Wal-Mart. It destroys local businesses and hurts competition. That's the undisputable reality of it.
I agree. Wal-Mart is to blame all our problems. If those fools at wal-mart would have stayed out of the discount store business everything would have been fine. :rolleyes:

Dec 7, 2010
ChewbaccaD said:

You eat at a Chinese Sushi place. That is not good. Just saying.

Nov 8, 2012
Amsterhammer said:
I'm just guessing here, but maybe the shooter's insane 'prepper' mother might not have been able to purchase her arsenal?

It's kind of depressing how nobody seems to think that an official commission's findings that Bubba and his puppet masters were guilty of condoning the widespread use of torture (despite their lying denials,) is worthy of comment. But hey, it had to be done, 'national security' and all......

There was nothing in the bill that would have prevented Newtown. But I encourage you to look for yourself.

Dec 7, 2010
VeloCity said:
Yep.

Try not to cry so much. I told you the NRA had won. Well they got scoreboard and all we have is President calling people names and a Vice President crying like a little baby.

Dec 7, 2010
Scott SoCal said:
I have and you are not missing anything.
Somehow Walmart has made its way up to the North Atlantic.

Seriously nothing wrong with Walmart making money. People go there and buy things. They must be doing something to cause that.

Anyhow I don't shop much but when I do shop, it is in CostCo or HomeDepot / Kents. I don't blame them for ****, because if back in the day I went to a localy owned hardware store, chances are they would not have what it I wanted. Oh but "We can order it for you but that takes about 2 to 8 weeks plus shipping and handling." Oh ok well give me 3 of those ,,,,,errrrrrrrr WTF?????? I can go over to homedepot and get it all day long in stock waiting for me to just pay the money,,,, no shipping etc.

Sep 10, 2009
Scott SoCal said:
Newtown is one of many, dude - who knows who the next shooter might be, eh? Remember the Virginia Tech dude? Adjudicated to be mentally ill and banned from buying guns. Bought them anyway. Would've been flagged when he bought those guns in VA if there had been a universal background check system.

But isn't it the Rs who keep saying that the root causes of gun violence in the US were criminals and the "mentally ill", not guns? Well, here's a bill that doesn't touch guns or gun ownership but is designed solely to help in screening out criminals and the "mentally ill" from purchasing guns. When push came to shove, it became clear that Rs simply use "criminal" and "mentally ill" as red herrings - it was never meant to be challenged, don't make us vote on it for god's sake.

Wayne Lapierre, 1999: “We think it is reasonable to provide mandatory, instant criminal background checks.”
Wayne Lapierre, 2013: "er, no, scratch that."

They're not serious people dude, they're ideologues.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS