U.S. Politics

Page 341 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 10, 2010
Glenn_Wilson said:
Try not to cry so much. I told you the NRA had won. Well they got scoreboard and all we have is President calling people names and a Vice President crying like a little baby.
Forgetting the subject of the discussion for a moment, the Senate has just blown off at least 56% of the American people. Those Senators are bought and paid for!

Sep 10, 2009
Ah wait, now I get it. Conservative paranoia and conspiracy theory got in the way.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/17/federal-gun-registry_n_3101204.html

In the days leading up to Wednesday's Senate vote on gun legislation amendments, the talking point that has taken off most amongst conservatives as a reason to oppose the background check compromise is that it would lead to a national database of gun owners.

This myth has spread despite the fact that the deal worked out by Sens. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) and Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) explicitly bars a federal registry.

he concern over a federal gun registry has spread quickly. Sen. Dean Heller (R-Nev.) was widely considered by Democrats to be one of the Republicans most likely to support the Manchin-Toomey deal. But on Tuesday, he came out against it, saying he believed the bill "could lead to the creation of a national gun registry and puts additional burdens on law-abiding citizens."

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) acknowledged on Wednesday that the legislation doesn't actually create a registry, but he said he believes it could encourage future efforts to do so.

"The currently pending legislation does not purport to create a national gun registry," he said at a press conference, "but the Department of Justice has said explicitly that when you require background checks for private firearms transactions, the only way to make that effective is through a national gun registry."

"Death panels died and gave birth to gun registry," quipped a Senate Democratic aide, referring to the most pernicious and persistent myth during the health care debate.
Death panels all over again. Just when you think conservatives can't get any ****ing dumber, they go right out and prove you wrong.

May 27, 2012
Scott SoCal said:
?? I didn't vote for anything.

But, tell me, what's going on with Max Baucus? Earlier this week he grilled Sebelius then he goes against the prez on background checks.

Btw, would the bill have passed if all the D's voted for it? Just checking.

Edit: it appears it would still have fallen short if all D's voted for the bill by one vote. I am curious why the D's didn't fall in line on this issue.
Because those D's knew it was going to fail and knew that the NRA would spend massive amounts of money for their challenger in the next election.

That bill might not have stopped Newtown, but it was a sensible and warranted measure that failed because of campaign contributions (not voter approval or disapproval). Period.

May 27, 2012
Glenn_Wilson said:
So you think the place is OWNED and operated by Japanese?
I know one of the guys who owns it. He's a patient of my wife's. He's only half Japanese...

Stick to critiquing Long John Silvers', it appears to be better suited to your talents.

Sep 10, 2009
Joe Scarborough ain't happy.

Mark it down, this is going to be a turning point in the history of the Republican Party as well. And let those out there chattering, let them chatter away all they want to and scream like hyenas. … This party that killed this background check yesterday — this party is moving toward extinction. A new Republican Party is going to replace it. And this is going to be a vote that people will look back on and say, ‘That party, that extremism, that was unsustainable.’”
Let's hope he's right about the extinction part. I've never seen a party so eager to and so adept at shooting itself (no pun intended) in the foot on so many different issues.

Dec 7, 2010
ChewbaccaD said:
I know one of the guy who owns it. He's a patient of my wife's. He's only half Japanese...

Stick to critiquing Long John Silvers', it appears to be better suited to your talents.
Sorry man they are from the Philippines, they studied in Japan only. Now why would I know anything about Japanese or the food? Why would I know anything about a sushi place in North Clic?

Come on man you give me no credit and went straight into insulting me or something.

May 27, 2012
Glenn_Wilson said:
Tick Tock .....your on the clock.

And I like playing. Cause my Chinese claim was wrong but ....are they Japanese????
And you also realize that the sushi chef is the key Japaneses ingredient...and they have a great one there.

Dude, go bury your head in a plate of All-You-Can-Eat Golden Coral and worship the fountain of Chocolate Wonderfall.

May 27, 2012
Glenn_Wilson said:
Sorry man they are from the Philippines, they studied in Japan only. Now why would I know anything about Japanese or the food? Why would I know anything about a sushi place in North Clic?

Come on man you give me no credit and went straight into insulting me or something.
Why do I give a f*&k?

Are you talking about Cy? I wasn't.

Either way, there is a sushi chef there who is half Japanese who is a part owner.

And quit getting your panties in a wad. You opened with an insult that was COMPLETELY wrong, so go back to your corner and put on the hat.

And the Sushi place ISN'T in "North Clic" whatever the f*&k that is? It's in SOUTH PARK.

Sep 10, 2009
Setting the gun debate aside for a moment, here's the real problem:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/04/18/wonkbook-the-gun-bill-failed-because-the-senate-is-wildly-undemocratic/

Of the senators from the 25 largest states, the Manchin-Toomey legislation received 33 aye votes and 17 nay votes — a more than 2:1 margin, putting it well beyond the 3/5ths threshold required to break a filibuster. But of the senators from the 25 smallest states, it received only 21 aye votes and 29 nay votes.

It’s typical to say that this is how the Senate’s always been. It’s also wrong. The filibuster didn’t emerge until decades after the first congress, and its constant use is a thoroughly modern development.

As for the small state bias, that, too, has changed over time. During the first Congress, Virginia, the largest state, was roughly 12 times the size of Delaware, which was, at the time, the smallest state. Today, California is 66 times the size of Wyoming. That makes the Senate five times less proportionate today than it was at the founding.

...the Senate did what it is built to do. It took a bill supported by most Americans and killed it because it was intensely opposed by a minority who disproportionately live in small, rural states.

May 27, 2012
Hugh Januss said:
Thanks, azz. Now I'm not gonna be happy until I go get me some sushi.:p
That place is great, but Nikko is probably better. Guru is only about a mile and a half from my house though...but I don't think either of those is going to benefit you.

Now, I'm going to have to go get some sushi too...

Dec 7, 2010
ChewbaccaD said:
And you also realize that the sushi chef is the key Japaneses ingredient...and they have a great one there.

Dude, go bury your head in a plate of All-You-Can-Eat Golden Coral and worship the fountain of Chocolate Wonderfall.
Man what is up with the hate? I just happened to know that the Sushi place is not owned and operated by Japanese and you flip out on me.

No reason for it is there? I did not insult you or anything did I? The name happen to catch my eye, I have eaten there more than once before with my wife and daughter. My wife spoke with them and asked where they were from as she new they were not Japanese.

May 27, 2012
Glenn_Wilson said:
Man what is up with the hate? I just happened to know that the Sushi place is not owned and operated by Japanese and you flip out on me.

No reason for it is there? I did not insult you or anything did I? The name happen to catch my eye, I have eaten there more than once before with my wife and daughter. My wife spoke with them and asked where they were from as she new they were not Japanese.
Dude, you jumped in on a conversation that you weren't involved in (with a contention I knew was incorrect) and then started with the "Tick Tock" posting style. Maybe it wasn't meant as condescending as it seemed, but it sure seemed like it to me.

Past that, the dude who is my wife's patient is a part owner and sushi chef there and she tells me he is half Japanese. I represented that I "knew" him, which is a stretch. When I go in, he says "Hi" because he knows my wife.

Still, glad you ate there. The sushi is pretty freaking great.

Dec 7, 2010
ChewbaccaD said:
Why do I give a f*&k?

Are you talking about Cy? I wasn't.

Either way, there is a sushi chef there who is half Japanese who is a part owner.

And quit getting your panties in a wad. You opened with an insult that was COMPLETELY wrong, so go back to your corner and put on the hat.

And the Sushi place ISN'T in "North Clic" whatever the f*&k that is? It's in SOUTH PARK.
It was not an insult at you just that the place was not legit Japanese Sushi. I was wrong with regards to it being Chinese and of course since you are calling me names etc. So here is where I will apologize for calling it a Chinese Sushi place.

You are the one who went into the eating at Long Johns and buffet's at Golden coral insults. There was no need to do that was there?

Norh Clic or Klick is a nic name given to North or South Carolina when a person is in the United States Marine Corps.

Dec 7, 2010
ChewbaccaD said:
Dude, you jumped in on a conversation that you weren't involved in (with a contention I knew was incorrect) and then started with the "Tick Tock" posting style. Maybe it wasn't meant as condescending as it seemed, but it sure seemed like it to me.

Past that, the dude who is my wife's patient is a part owner and sushi chef there and she tells me he is half Japanese. I represented that I "knew" him, which is a stretch. When I go in, he says "Hi" because he knows my wife.

Still, glad you ate there. The sushi is pretty freaking great.
Yeah it was good, that is why my wife asked them where they were from.

I think you already know this from reading these forums but my wife is Japanese from Japan. That was why she asked them where they learned to cut sushi / sashimi.

I was just interjecting a comment. Which as I can see from your last post, probably I should have stayed out of it because it looks like you was a little bit peeved at Scott.

I said before in my post previous that I apologize for calling it a Chinese Sushi place.

May 27, 2012
Glenn_Wilson said:
It was not an insult at you just that the place was not legit Japanese Sushi. I was wrong with regards to it being Chinese and of course since you are calling me names etc. So here is where I will apologize for calling it a Chinese Sushi place.

You are the one who went into the eating at Long Johns and buffet's at Golden coral insults. There was no need to do that was there?

Norh Clic or Klick is a nic name given to North or South Carolina when a person is in the United States Marine Corps.
All I can tell you is that my wife is a sushi (sashimi actually) snob. She lived in Hawaii and patronized some Japanese sushi chef there who is apparently well known...I don't know who he is from Adam, but I am guessing it was probably pretty great sushi. Guru and Nikko are the only two places in Charlotte she will eat sashimi. Sure, it probably doesn't match places closer to the ocean, but for Charlotte, the place is great.

Me, I know BBQ. You want to know where to eat BBQ in NC, and I can lead you down the path to hog heaven.

Dec 7, 2010
ok now that I have caused all this trouble in the thread. I will leave now. haha

Apologies to Velo and Scott about interrupting your "Hate fest 2013 version".

May 27, 2012
Glenn_Wilson said:
Yeah it was good, that is why my wife asked them where they were from.

I think you already know this from reading these forums but my wife is Japanese from Japan. That was why she asked them where they learned to cut sushi / sashimi.

I was just interjecting a comment. Which as I can see from your last post, probably I should have stayed out of it because it looks like you was a little bit peeved at Scott.

I said before in my post previous that I apologize for calling it a Chinese Sushi place.
I lost it with the "tick tock" thing because it seemed condescending, and I don't react to that like normal people...

Sorry.

Dec 7, 2010
ChewbaccaD said:
All I can tell you is that my wife is a sushi (sashimi actually) snob. She lived in Hawaii and patronized some Japanese sushi chef there who is apparently well known...I don't know who he is from Adam, but I am guessing it was probably pretty great sushi. Guru and Nikko are the only two places in Charlotte she will eat sashimi. Sure, it probably doesn't match places closer to the ocean, but for Charlotte, the place is great.

Me, I know BBQ. You want to know where to eat BBQ in NC, and I can lead you down the path of hog heaven.
It is alright man , my bad, see the post above yours. I apologized for the interruption.

You are rapid fire! They need to limit your magazine size or something ... :eek:

Me I will stick to things I know about like Long John's and Buffet's. Good ones those were!

Dec 7, 2010
ChewbaccaD said:
I lost it with the "tick tock" thing because it seemed condescending, and I don't react to that like normal people...

Sorry.
One of the funniest things that can happen is I will be in there with my exwife and daughter ....and you will be there with your wife!

You will notice me because I will be the only redneck in the place. But besides that my wife will be complaining to me about something! Either the way I dressed for the day or that I'm drinking too much beer and eating all the Pork Gyoza.

May 27, 2012
Glenn_Wilson said:
It is alright man , my bad, see the post above yours. I apologized for the interruption.

You are rapid fire! They need to limit your magazine size or something ... :eek:

Me I will stick to things I know about like Long John's and Buffet's. Good ones those were!
...My first job out of college? Cooking at Long John Silver's...It was only for about a month, but I still have the grease burn scars.

Still to this day, I sneak by about once a year and get one of those diamond shaped fish (maybe) patties with some tarter sauce. You can take the boy out of whiskey tango, but you cant take the whiskey tango out of the boy...

Nov 8, 2012
VeloCity said:
Newtown is one of many, dude - who knows who the next shooter might be, eh? Remember the Virginia Tech dude? Adjudicated to be mentally ill and banned from buying guns. Bought them anyway. Would've been flagged when he bought those guns in VA if there had been a universal background check system.

But isn't it the Rs who keep saying that the root causes of gun violence in the US were criminals and the "mentally ill", not guns? Well, here's a bill that doesn't touch guns or gun ownership but is designed solely to help in screening out criminals and the "mentally ill" from purchasing guns. When push came to shove, it became clear that Rs simply use "criminal" and "mentally ill" as red herrings - it was never meant to be challenged, don't make us vote on it for god's sake.

Wayne Lapierre, 1999: “We think it is reasonable to provide mandatory, instant criminal background checks.”
Wayne Lapierre, 2013: "er, no, scratch that."

They're not serious people dude, they're ideologues.
Soooo, the question was, "would anything in this bill have prevented Newtown?"

The extremely short answer is, no.

You are aware we have background checks now, right? And you are also aware that it's a federal crime to lie on background check. And certainly you must be aware that Cryin' Biden famously proclaimed "we don't have time" to track down and prosecute those that lie on their background checks.

But I guess yet another law will fix all that:rolleyes:

If you guys were serious you might start by earning a little public trust and enforcing laws already on the books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MarieDGarzai Non-Cycling Discussions 2