• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

U.S. Politics

Page 395 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 8, 2012
BroDeal said:
You mean aside from Gore, who thinks this spying is outrageous?
Gore is maybe the only recent Democratic Presidential candidate more incompetent than what we have now.

He says spying is outrageous? Okay. Excuse me if I don't put much faith in what that bag of gas says.

Mar 18, 2009
ChewbaccaD said:
They are already getting elected...and under this system they are also beholden to the people who financed their campaigns. All I am suggesting is that the latter part of that equation become the citizenry in total and not the special interests that they are today.
Money is only part of the issue. Without the party machine it can only do so much.

As long as the U.S. has its faux two party system, the choices will be Jack Johnson or John Jackson with the increasingly likely chance that a nutter will slip through and land on the final ballot. Real change won't occur until there is proportional representation, and the two parties will fight like hell to prevent that.

Mar 18, 2009
Scott SoCal said:
Gore is maybe the only recent Democratic Presidential candidate more incompetent than what we have now.
What is that based on?

Are you still mad about global warming?

Mar 18, 2009
ChewbaccaD said:
Referring to Obama as a "tyrant" is so hyperbolic, I don't know that we can have a rational discussion anymore.
Lying bumbler today, tyrant tomorrow.

Nov 8, 2012
BroDeal said:
What is that based on?

Are you still mad about global warming?
His body of work.

however, I give Gore a ton of credit for creating a marketplace, making hundreds of millions, that sells a solution to a problem that doesn't exist (in the way presented). For that, chapeau.

Good little, erm, well big capitalist.

Jul 9, 2009
A thought occurred to me earlier today, with regard to all the fruit bats who are desperate to hang on to their guns to "protect" themselves from the US government, isn't another word for that "treason"? And yet most of this lot is cut from the same cloth as the crowd that accused Jane Fonda of treason for her stance on the Vietnam war. Sometimes I have a hard time keeping up with just exactly how the rightwing mind works.

OK sorry for the interruption, you guys go back to your regular rants. Obama is a tyrant, Gore is an idiot, no such thing as Global Warming bla bla bla.

Mar 18, 2009
Hugh Januss said:
A thought occurred to me earlier today, with regard to all the fruit bats who are desperate to hang on to their guns to "protect" themselves from the US government, isn't another word for that "treason"? And yet most of this lot is cut from the same cloth as the crowd that accused Jane Fonda of treason for her stance on the Vietnam war. Sometimes I have a hard time keeping up with just exactly how the rightwing mind works.
Obama was going to rebuild trust in the government. He frequently gives speeches about it, especially at graduations. How's that working out? Obama can pat himself on the back for doing more shatter people's trust than Dubya. That is quite an accomplishment. I did not think it was possible.

There is an upside to Obama being shown to be running his own version of the Stasi. The chance of further restrictions on the Second Amendment are unlikely. Gun sales will accelerate to 30 million a year.

Nov 8, 2012
Hugh Januss said:

OK sorry for the interruption, you guys go back to your regular rants. Obama is a tyrant, Gore is an idiot, no such thing as Global Warming bla bla bla.
How many constitutionally guaranteed rights have to be shredded before you start to become uncomfortable?

Nov 8, 2012
BroDeal said:
Obama was going to rebuild trust in the government. He frequently gives speeches about it, especially at graduations. How's that working out? Obama can pat himself on the back for doing more shatter people's trust than Dubya. That is quite an accomplishment. I did not think it was possible.

There is an upside to Obama being shown to be running his own version of the Stasi. The chance of further restrictions on the Second Amendment are unlikely. Gun sales will accelerate to 30 million a year.
Yep. If you are in the gun mfg or sales business you better start hiring right now.

You thought it was crazy before? Even the most ardent lib will be buying arms now.

May 27, 2012
Scott SoCal said:
How many constitutionally guaranteed rights have to be shredded before you start to become uncomfortable?
Which ones has he shredded? If you know constitutional jurisprudence, you know that none of the things Obama has done have violated what SCOTUS considers "constitutional." You can thank your philosophy for many of those decisions. Obama hasn't done anything particularly outlandish according to constitutional precedent. If you don't know that, do some reading.

I find it funny that every Republican in Washington is blowing the "Obama did nothing wrong on this one" c**k today. How can they be honest about a policy they shoved down our throats? The one ****ing "scandal" that has any real weight, and you guys go running for the hills. Washington if f**ked up, and your side appears incapable of recognizing your hand in it.

Jul 9, 2009
Scott SoCal said:
Yep. If you are in the gun mfg or sales business you better start hiring right now.

You thought it was crazy before? Even the most ardent lib will be buying arms now.
Yeah, to protect ourselves from you effing loons.:rolleyes:

Jul 9, 2009
BroDeal said:

Funny, but I would still trust Obama a hell of a lot more than I would trust Bush and his whole crowd.

Nov 8, 2012
Hugh Januss said:
Funny, but I would still trust Obama a hell of a lot more than I would trust Bush and his whole crowd.
Starting to sound much like Velo.

I'm going with trust neither. I win.

Nov 8, 2012
ChewbaccaD said:
Which ones has he shredded? If you know constitutional jurisprudence, you know that none of the things Obama has done have violated what SCOTUS considers "constitutional." You can thank your philosophy for many of those decisions. Obama hasn't done anything particularly outlandish according to constitutional precedent. If you don't know that, do some reading.

I find it funny that every Republican in Washington is blowing the "Obama did nothing wrong on this one" c**k today. How can they be honest about a policy they shoved down our throats? The one ****ing "scandal" that has any real weight, and you guys go running for the hills. Washington if f**ked up, and your side appears incapable of recognizing your hand in it.
Perhaps not the letter but very much the spirit. You disagree? Not too far back on this very thread you were pretty up in arms over the IRS debacle. Why? What's changed?

May 27, 2012
Scott SoCal said:
Perhaps not the letter but very much the spirit. You disagree? Not too far back on this very thread you were pretty up in arms over the IRS debacle. Why? What's changed?
Nothing changed. My disagreement with policy, and what is and is not constitutional are two completely different subjects. And if you think he has violated the spirit more than any other president, you don't really know presidential history.

Mar 18, 2009
Hugh Januss said:
Time has shown little different between the two. The words are different; the agendas are the same.

Although it might be hard to tell whether Eric Holder is incompetent, lazy, or malevolent, if the end results are the same as Alberto Gonzales then does it really matter?

Jul 9, 2009
Scott SoCal said:
Starting to sound much like Velo.

I'm going with trust neither. I win.
OH you win alrighty, how's that feel? Bush got us into this hole, Obama is slowly (slower than you or I might hope) getting us out of it. He might not do everything the way I want and I'm sure he does almost nothing the way you want, but at this point he is our President. You guys should have voted him out this last time around if you thought he was that bad, but what did you come up with to oppose him? Epic fail, good job.

Mar 18, 2009
Hugh Januss said:
OH you win alrighty, how's that feel? Bush got us into this hole, Obama is slowly (slower than you or I might hope) getting us out of it. He might not do everything the way I want and I'm sure he does almost nothing the way you want, but at this point he is our President. You guys should have voted him out this last time around if you thought he was that bad, but what did you come up with to oppose him? Epic fail, good job.
You are not saying Romney and his dancing horse would have a hard time understanding the needs of the common man, are you?

Nov 8, 2012
Hugh Januss said:
Doesn't matter who "we" came up with. You never, ever would have voted for her/ him.

You got what you wanted. Right?

May 18, 2009
Scott SoCal said:
Doesn't matter who "we" came up with. You never, ever would have voted for her/ him.

You got what you wanted. Right?
He's saying he voted for the lesser of two evils. And yes, no matter what wingnut is running the Dem is usually the lesser of two evils in the reality based community.

Jan 20, 2013
BroDeal said:
George W. Obama

Put this on pro look-a-likes, under the heading pro super-imposed-alikes. Like in the UK and I guess it is similar in the US, dosen't matter who you vote for you still get the government. Or as Lemond would say "you really win the race"....:)

May 27, 2012
ChrisE said:
He's saying he voted for the lesser of two evils. And yes, no matter what wingnut is running the Dem is usually the lesser of two evils in the reality based community.
Indeed.....

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS