U.S. Politics

Page 412 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 9, 2009
Scott SoCal said:
Leaving future generations with a reasonable economic future doesn't rate real high with you I guess?
It doesn't matter how robust the economy is, it will take a real hit when everyone within 20 feet of sea level begins losing their homes and businesses.

Mar 18, 2009
Hugh Januss said:
It doesn't matter how robust the economy is, it will take a real hit when everyone within 20 feet of sea level begins losing their homes and businesses.
1) Buy land further inland.
2) Wait for it to become beachfront property.
3) Profit.

Nov 8, 2012
Nov 8, 2012
Hugh Januss said:
Some say a couple of feet, some say 30 feet, some say 70. Meanwhile, nobody can explain the 16 year pause, except Velo. Concensus? Not so much.

Meanwhile. Let's kill what little recovery we have now. No common sense fixes, no reasonable approach, just full steam ahead. We are going to stop global warming all by ourselves.

Sep 10, 2009
Scott SoCal said:
You mean like we see now? Talk about a load of bull****...
Yep, exactly like what we see now. Rs since day one of Obama's have made it clear that obstruction is their only priority, and they've done a damn fine job of it. Ted Cruz, for instance - nothing will get done unless I get my way. Now there's some responsible governance. Very grown-up, too.

I know its tough when you religion is challenged. But you'll get over it.
Please, you haven't challenged **** in your life, all you do is complain. You complain that government doesn't work, then you vote for cynical right-wing ideologues who believe that government doesn't work and who have no interest or incentive to try and make it work and who actively try to tear it down, then you complain anew that government doesn't work. And you're apparently completely unaware of it the entire time.

Nov 8, 2012
VeloCity said:
Yep, exactly like what we see now. Rs since day one of Obama's have made it clear that obstruction is their only priority, and they've done a damn fine job of it. Ted Cruz, for instance - nothing will get done unless I get my way. Now there's some responsible governance. Very grown-up, too.

Please, you haven't challenged **** in your life, all you do is complain. You complain that government doesn't work, then you vote for cynical right-wing ideologues who believe that government doesn't work and who have no interest or incentive to try and make it work and who actively try to tear it down, then you complain anew that government doesn't work. And you're apparently completely unaware of it the entire time.
Yep, exactly like what we see now
Didn't you say "responsible governance" or some such nonsense? Is that how any non-sycophant might describe the Obama administration?

Pazuzu posted this link upthread;

True, He's the First Black President But Obama is the Worst US President Ever

And there he is, murdering even more people in Afghanistan than Bush, backing coups in Latin America, continuing to undermine Iraq, sending drones, mercenaries, saboteurs to ****stan, Somalia, Yemen, Uganda, Libya and now Syria. He bores deeper into several African countries, rich with oil and minerals, than his white predecessors, Democrats and Republicans. The US is eliminating the few secular governments that there were in the Middle East and North Africa.

Obama is busier fulfilling total USAmerican world domination than even Bush, Reagan and Nixon.

He is the president for US corporations.
Obama is worse than them, precisely because he betrays all his black “brothers and sisters” in the US, all except a few rich and opportunistic ones. He was the hope; he would improve their lot, and that of the poor, the working people. But he has done nothing of the sort. Instead, he takes from them to give to the rich, the worst criminals on Wall Street, the war industry, the oil and mineral industries. Virtually all of his economic advisors hail from Wall Street and in many cases were central figures in the enormous economic crimes of the last few years that have stolen hundreds of billions, even trillions of dollars from the poor and the middle class. His top militarists, Homeland Security thugs, and CIA killers are some of those that Bush used -- most of them Republicans.
As commander in chief, he has had the national hero Bradley Manning tortured. He seeks to destroy Wikileaks and its founder Julian Assange.
I gave a speech in front of the US embassy in Copenhagen when Obama was to receive the Nobel Peace Prize, for Christ Sake!
Ron Ridenour, lol. One of your guys strongly disagrees with you... and he didn't mention ANY of the economic malfeasance.

You should probably save the vitriol for your true enemies. I don't pray at the alter of big government, unapologetically so.

Sep 10, 2009
Scott SoCal said:
Some say a couple of feet, some say 30 feet, some say 70. Meanwhile, nobody can explain the 16 year pause, except Velo. Concensus? Not so much.
I am constantly - constantly - amazed at how willing and even eager conservatives are to put their complete disdain and ignorance about anything science-related on public display. And you just never seem to tire of it. It's like some badge of honor as to who can be the most scientifically ignorant. It's really weird.

It has been explained dude, and a simple Google search will tell you that. But we've been over this before, haven't we. There's little point in trying to explain it to someone who chooses ignorance when reality conflicts with their ideology.
Meanwhile. Let's kill what little recovery we have now. No common sense fixes, no reasonable approach, just full steam ahead.
Dude, again, if you think this will be bad for the economy, wait a few decades after doing nothing to address climate change. It's probably already way too late to have much of a mitigating effect anyway, thanks to deniers like you, but it's something.

We are going to stop global warming all by ourselves.
Nope, we're not, but that's not the intention.

Nov 8, 2012
VeloCity said:
I am constantly - constantly - amazed at how willing and even eager conservatives are to put their complete disdain and ignorance about anything science-related on public display. And you just never seem to tire of it. It's like some badge of honor as to who can be the most scientifically ignorant. It's really weird.

It has been explained dude, and a simple Google search will tell you that. But we've been over this before, haven't we. There's little point in trying to explain it to someone who chooses ignorance when reality conflicts with their ideology.
Dude, again, if you think this will be bad for the economy, wait a few decades after doing nothing to address climate change. It's probably already way too late to have much of a mitigating effect anyway, thanks to deniers like you, but it's something.

Nope, we're not, but that's not the intention.
I am constantly - constantly - amazed at how willing and even eager conservatives are to put their complete disdain and ignorance about anything science-related on public display
Maybe you can scientifically tell me what will happen, global warming wise, if we (the US) stopped burning coal today? Can you get some consensus from the brain trust on that for me?

And you just never seem to tire of it. It's like some badge of honor as to who can be the most scientifically ignorant. It's really weird.
Yeah, weird. Shocking how so many are willing to kill the planet. Maybe answer the above question for me. You know, relieve me of my ignorance.

It's probably already way too late to have much of a mitigating effect anyway
Probably? According to the RS article it's not "probably."

Sep 10, 2009
Scott SoCal said:
Didn't you say "responsible governance" or some such nonsense? Is that how any non-sycophant might describe the Obama administration?
Wouldn't matter one bit what Obama did, would it. If he zigged you'd criticize him for not zagging, if he zagged you'd say dumbass, he should've zigged.

Actually yes, the Obama administration has done a pretty decent - far from perfect, could've been better, but overall pretty decent, more than pretty decent actually - job of responsible governance, but you're far too blind to even want to see it, let alone to actually see it.

I don't pray at the alter of big government, unapologetically so.
We understand that here in the real world, markets can often do things government can't - fine so far, we agree there - but also that sometimes government can do things that markets can't - and that's what you can't seem to accept.

Like health care, for eg - the private market is never going to be able to support a health care system as effectively and efficiently as government can. Just the nature of the beast, a simple fact of life. OK fine, we accept that. But you just can't.

Nov 8, 2012
VeloCity said:
Wouldn't matter one bit what Obama did, would it. If he zigged you'd criticize him for not zagging, if he zagged you'd say dumbass, he should've zigged.

Actually yes, the Obama administration has done a pretty decent - far from perfect, could've been better, but overall pretty decent, more than pretty decent actually - job of responsible governance, but you're far too blind to even want to see it, let alone to actually see it.

We understand that here in the real world, markets can often do things government can't - fine so far, we agree there - but also that sometimes government can do things that markets can't - and that's what you can't seem to accept.

Like health care, for eg - the private market is never going to be able to support a health care system as effectively and efficiently as government can. Just the nature of the beast, a simple fact of life. OK fine, we accept that. But you just can't.
Up is down, black is white. The parallel universe continues.

Mar 18, 2009
Scott SoCal said:
I have to agree with this. The lengths these Democrap loyalists will go to ignore the fact that Obama is nothing more than an extra two terms for Dubya is amazing.

Sep 30, 2010
The lengths these Democrap loyalists and conservatives will go to ignore the fact that Obama is nothing more than an extra two terms for Dubya is amazing

exactly

The scary thing is that conservatives love big government but won't admit it. They just don't like big liberal government.

Obama isn't a liberal.

Sep 10, 2009
Scott SoCal said:
Sorry dude, I know this is completely lost on you, but he has indeed done a pretty decent job, and when you factor in the obstructionism he's had to deal with from the Party of No, it's actually pretty remarkable that he's managed to accomplish as much as he has.

Mar 18, 2009
VeloCity said:
Sorry dude, I know this is completely lost on you, but he has indeed done a pretty decent job, and when you factor in the obstructionism he's had to deal with from the Party of No, it's actually pretty remarkable that he's managed to accomplish as much as he has.
Don't confuse Republican obstructionsim with Obama's incompetence. This is a president that feels he is too good to involve himself in dealing with the legislature. If it were not for Joe Biden, he would have done nothing but sit in the Oval Office, patting himself on the back for bamboozling the public into voting for him.

The only thing Obama has managed to accomplish is carrying out the neo-con agenda. It appears it is the only thing he is willing to fight for, and he does that by execute order, like a king.

Sep 10, 2009
BroDeal said:
Ithat Obama is nothing more than an extra two terms for Dubya is amazing.
How so? Economic policies? Nope. Social policies? Nope. Foreign policy? Nope. Continuation of the war in Afghanistan and Iraq? Nope. War on terror? Nope. Gun control? Nope. Climate change? Nope. Health care? Nope.

Basically you've got Guantanamo, which Obama has tried to have closed down but Congress won't allow, the continuation of some highly questionable Bush-era NSA surveillance programs (many of which, like Stellar Wind, were introduced by Bush and ended by Obama), the equally highly questionable expansion of the drone policy, and...well, that's about it.

So despite having completely different economic, social, and foreign policies, Obama's just an extra two terms for Dubya :rolleyes: That might be the dumbest meme of the past 6 years, even beyond the birthers.

Sep 10, 2009
BroDeal said:
Don't confuse Republican obstructionsim with Obama's incompetence. This is a president that feels he is too good to involve himself in dealing with the legislature. If it were not for Joe Biden, he would have done nothing but sit in the Oval Office, patting himself on the back for bamboozling the public into voting for him.

The only thing Obama has managed to accomplish is carrying out the neo-con agenda. It appears it is the only thing he is willing to fight for, and he does that by execute order, like a king.
I haven't laughed that hard since Scott's last post on climate change.

Mar 18, 2009
VeloCity said:
How so? Economic policies? Nope. Social policies? Nope. Foreign policy? Nope. Continuation of the war in Afghanistan and Iraq? Nope. War on terror? Nope. Gun control? Nope. Climate change? Nope. Health care? Nope.

Basically you've got Guantanamo, which Obama has tried to have closed down but Congress won't allow, the continuation of some highly questionable Bush-era NSA surveillance programs (many of which, like Stellar Wind, were introduced by Bush and ended by Obama), the equally highly questionable expansion of the drone policy, and...well, that's about it.

So despite having completely different economic, social, and foreign policies, Obama's just an extra two terms for Dubya :rolleyes: That might be the dumbest meme of the past 6 years, even beyond the birthers.
Yup. Completely delusional. It is amazing.

Stop listening to what Obama says and concentrate on what he does. The two are completely different.

Nov 8, 2012
VeloCity said:
Only you can do that. You just choose not to.
So, you and your brainiac friends have no idea how much the global warming situation would be changed by (just) our cessation of coal use.

Thanks for making my point better than I could have.

Nov 8, 2012
VeloCity said:
I haven't laughed that hard since Scott's last post on climate change.
So, just for grins, how would climate change be affected if the US stopped burning 1 billion tons of coal per year (1/8th of the world's use).

I'm just curious. Should be able to put that in one of Mike Mann's super accurate computer model whiz-bangs and come up with a hockey stick or something, right?

Nov 8, 2012
BroDeal said:
Yup. Completely delusional. It is amazing.

Stop listening to what Obama says and concentrate on what he does. The two are completely different.
BAM!

Isn't it interesting how results are just not important. Intentions are only what matters.

I'll never understand it.

Sep 10, 2009
BroDeal said:
Stop listening to what Obama says and concentrate on what he does.
OK, let's look at what he's done. He's tried on several occasions to close Guantanamo but Congress won't allow it. He had to bypass Congress altogether to get anything done on climate change regulations because the R House will do absolutely nothing to address it. He had to water down the ACA and punt on the public option because that's the only way Rs would accept it. The stimulus, which should've been much bigger, was watered down by Rs. Bailed out US auto industry despite opposition from Rs (which, in fairness, was a continuation of Bush's policy, but still very much opposed by Rs). Ended torture policies, despite Rs disagreeing. Gun control was killed because of Senate Rs and a handful of Ds, despite Obama's best efforts to get it passed. He ended the Iraq war and started the drawdown in Afghanistan despite the Rs objections to both. See a pattern here?

Also, clearly we're not the one's who expected a Messiah - did you think he could just wave a magic wand and have it be done? God if only that were true, we would be so much better off. But unfortunately, here in the real world, as a responsible President who doesn't just make illegal **** up like Bush did (eg torture, rendition, wiretapping), he is forced to get into bed with a recalcitrant, openly hostile, and obstructionist Republican Party in order to get anything done. Still, it's actually quite remarkable how much has been accomplished over the past 5-6 years despite the near-absolute R obstructionism. You really need to start paying closer attention.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MarieDGarzai Non-Cycling Discussions 1