• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

U.S. Politics

Page 468 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 8, 2012
Not since the disintegration of the Soviet Union in 1991, and prior to that the fall of France in 1940, has there been so swift an erosion of the world influence of a Great Power as we are witnessing with the United States.
What we are witnessing now in the United States, by contrast, is just the backwash of inept policy-making in Washington, and nothing that could not eventually be put right. But for this administration to redeem its credibility now would require a change of direction and method so radical it would be the national equivalent of the comeback of Lazarus: a miraculous revolution in the condition of an individual (President Obama), and a comparable metamorphosis (or a comprehensive replacement) of the astonishingly implausible claque around him.
What is more worrisome than the fact that the United States has an inadequate president, is that the public still accords the incumbent a significant degree of support. If the American people, who have responded to intelligent leadership so often within living memory, has become so morally obtuse that it buys into this flimflam, the problem is more profound than I imagined.
The United States is a hard-working, patriotic country with a talented work force and a political system that can generate policy and govern and lead effectively. Unless the environmentalist extremists who predicted that by now Manhattan would be underwater, the average temperature in Toronto in February would be 20 centigrade, and that we would all be gasping for oxygen, find richer electoral sugar daddies than the oil industry and get political control of that country (almost impossible), the United States will be self-sufficient in energy in a few years.

This will end the suicidal U.S. balance-of-payments deficit, cut the worst terrorist-supporting, oil-producing regimes in the world off at the ankles financially, and drastically reduce the federal government budget deficit.
Dang.

http://www.nysun.com/foreign/collapse-of-american-power-recalls-dis/88400/

Jul 5, 2012
Scott SoCal said:
What is more worrisome than the fact that the United States has an inadequate president, is that the public still accords the incumbent a significant degree of support. If the American people, who have responded to intelligent leadership so often within living memory, has become so morally obtuse that it buys into this flimflam, the problem is more profound than I imagined.
Dang.

http://www.nysun.com/foreign/collapse-of-american-power-recalls-dis/88400/
I'm struggling with the bolded...having to go back an awful long way in my living memory...

Jul 4, 2009
Scott SoCal said:
....oh dear....SoCal is once again scraping the very bottom of the sources barrel to find direction and inspiration....

....for those that aren't aware ex-con Conrad Black is arguably in the running for being the biggest doofuss in recent Soviet Canuckistan history...an idiot of epic proportions who in his native land is considered the quintessential sanctimonious blowhard standard against which all quintessentially sanctimonious blowhards are measured....a colossal joke who is dealt with general disdain and for more generous of us, pity ( and to add intellectual insult to injury, he is writing in a publication known universally here as the National Pest...and for good reason...its an embarrassment to journalism...)

...that SoCal would actually use Conrad Black to backfill a position speaks to the total lack of any merit in the argument that SoCal is trying to put forth...he could have gone to any page on any Freeper site and gotten better, more respected backfill to buttress a position ( though oddly enough a great many Freepers are vehemently against involvement in Syria....which I guess means that SoCal may be more "out there" than the Freeper crowd....and gawd the air out there is pretty thin so I have no idea what SoCal is breathing...)

....by hitching his wagon to Black he has managed to embarrass himself once again and surprisingly, to levels well below his usual no standards( which given his long tenure here is an ne plus ultra achievement ....) ...

Cheers

Jul 4, 2009
....well isn't this interesting (though hardly surprising..????).
------------------------------------------------------------------------

WASHINGTON - Of all the interests backing President Barack Obama's call for Congress to authorize military strikes on Syria, perhaps none is more concerned about the prospect of a "no" vote than America's pro-Israel lobby, which is finding it difficult to overcome widespread opposition to the use of force.

Considered to be some of the most influential lobbyists on Capitol Hill, officials with several pro-Israel groups say they are running into rare resistance from lawmakers, even among staunch Israel advocates on whose support they could almost unquestionably count in the past.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

....and considering their bedmate in this little party is Bander Bush this is seemingly, in a on the surface kinda way, quite weird ( especially considering there is a heaping seething helping of al Qaeda mixed into the cake)....geez the last time these guys came out to play together in broad daylight was....hmmm....hmmmm....if I were a conspiracy nut I would probably be screaming 9/11...9/11...9/11....but thankfully I'm not ( though I have yet to hear a plausible explanation for the cell phone question????....and WC7....and the dancing Israeli's....but those are just minor quibbles aren't they...they are, right?....)...

....from... http://ca.news.yahoo.com/pro-israel-groups-face-rare-resistance-lobbying-syrian-044023912.html

Cheers

May 27, 2012
RetroActive said:
More clueless and arrogant, double down. Why not. You laid your cards on the table...at a chess tournament.
How's that flagging going for you?
Trifecta!!!!

Dude, Kevin freaking Bacon is in on it!!!!

Kevin BACON!!!!

Pork!!!

Which religions don't eat pork?!!!!

Do people who don't like bacon have souls?!!!

Enjoy the pictures behind your eyes.

May 27, 2012
RetroActive said:
1) I never used the word monolithic, it's hardly that, is the RCC monolithic in every respect. People disagree and hammer out their differences, nothing new there.

2) Why, what's going on in private?:rolleyes:

As for faulty logic let's start here shall we:
http://gwmemorial.org/washingtonTheMason.php
I don't think there's too much controversy there. Was Washington a mason?

Let's move on to this factoid:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Masonic_Party
"The Anti-Masonic Party (also known as the Anti-Masonic Movement) was the first "third party" in the United States"

Ben Franklin and the French revolution?
https://www.google.ca/#q=benjamin+franklin+french+revolution
Ben Franklin was a Freemason?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Franklin
You'll notice Thomas Paine had an interesting life in America...and France. You might also note the section on religion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Paine

Logical fallacy? Like I was trying to point out there's some context to understand.
I did however misspeak when I said most of the founders, I should have said many.
http://www.freemasons-freemasonry.com/brentmorris1.html
Let me say that having read a fair amount of masonic (metaphysical) reading materials I'm not necessarily opposed to their broader goals philosophically speaking, the means to achieve them may be another story. I'm in favour of people reading what they're about, they're interesting. That it's so controversial to the point of hysteria can only be attributed to ignorance. Since when was the history of civilisation and it's metaphysical underpinnings something to get crazy about? It's not a conspiracy so much as an ignorance, a conspiracy of ignorance if you will by the "normal" person. Start with the trivium and quadrivium, the only real secret is attempting to understand oneself. Is that a conspiracy?

It's carved in stone all around you, it's ubiquitous. Do people lack curiosity or what's the problem?

I suspect cognitive dissonance explains a lot.
I suspect schizophrenia explains a lot.

Jul 4, 2009
ChewbaccaD said:
Dude, you seriously might want to choose better sources...or just write your own jokes. Either way, as has been pointed out, your choice of source here is one of the most laughable things you have ever posted. "Discredited" doesn't even begin to describe that shyster's reputation.

Carry on.

Dang.
...or just write your own jokes....indeed!.....

Cheers

Jul 4, 2009
del1962 said:
Sometimes I feel that the US Politics Thread has descended in the Tea Party versus the Troofes, ochestrated by Alex Jones and David Icke
...that's only if you take it seriously....btw with the right "attitude" it can be seen as a veritable blossoming of wonderful and charming ideas to achieve world peace in our time....

....or alternately....."Sometimes?????"....

Cheers

Nov 8, 2012
blutto said:
....oh dear....SoCal is once again scraping the very bottom of the sources barrel to find direction and inspiration....

....for those that aren't aware ex-con Conrad Black is arguably in the running for being the biggest doofuss in recent Soviet Canuckistan history...an idiot of epic proportions who in his native land is considered the quintessential sanctimonious blowhard standard against which all quintessentially sanctimonious blowhards are measured....a colossal joke who is dealt with general disdain and for more generous of us, pity ( and to add intellectual insult to injury, he is writing in a publication known universally here as the National Pest...and for good reason...its an embarrassment to journalism...)

...that SoCal would actually use Conrad Black to backfill a position speaks to the total lack of any merit in the argument that SoCal is trying to put forth...he could have gone to any page on any Freeper site and gotten better, more respected backfill to buttress a position ( though oddly enough a great many Freepers are vehemently against involvement in Syria....which I guess means that SoCal may be more "out there" than the Freeper crowd....and gawd the air out there is pretty thin so I have no idea what SoCal is breathing...)

....by hitching his wagon to Black he has managed to embarrass himself once again and surprisingly, to levels well below his usual no standards( which given his long tenure here is an ne plus ultra achievement ....) ...

Cheers
Hitching his wagon?

The depth of your points are exposed. Attack the messenger and address none of the message.

How very modern day liberal of you.

Nov 8, 2012
ChewbaccaD said:
Dude, you seriously might want to choose better sources...or just write your own jokes. Either way, as has been pointed out, your choice of source here is one of the most laughable things you have ever posted. "Discredited" doesn't even begin to describe that shyster's reputation.

Carry on.

Dang.
I found it interesting. Ol Conrad went even further than I do. Kind of David Brock(ish).

But he has a point. The speed of the collapse of American influence is, uh, well kinda of like watching a train wreck.

You still think Obama wants congress to bail him out of this whole thing? Why all the arm twisting? You realize, no matter how this plays out, Obama is taking a huge, huge hit. Nobody respects this guy... not our traditional allies, not allies at home and not his opposition.

What do you think is going to happen and how does Obama look when it's over?

Nov 8, 2012
Whoops.

David Axelrod on NBC's "Meet The Press': “There’s no doubt that (Assad’s forces) are fighting side-by-side with Hezebollah, they could certainly use (chemical weapons) against Israel, they can be proliferated from there, and (inaction) gives the signal to everyone else, every bad actor on the planet, that the United States, the world community, is in a fetal position, and you can do whatever you want.”
But Axelrod is in the Conrad Black category.

Then there is Cher...

Cher ✔ @cher

I Believe,If Pres.Obama,Bombs Syria,it might b His Downfall.He could go From Loved 2 Loathed.U Cant Go Against The Will Of 80% Of AMERICANS
12:46 PM - 8 Sep 2013

The sycophants probably didn't get the talking points.

Scott SoCal said:
I found it interesting. Ol Conrad went even further than I do. Kind of David Brock(ish).

But he has a point. The speed of the collapse of American influence is, uh, well kinda of like watching a train wreck.

You still think Obama wants congress to bail him out of this whole thing? Why all the arm twisting? You realize, no matter how this plays out, Obama is taking a huge, huge hit. Nobody respects this guy... not our traditional allies, not allies at home and not his opposition.

What do you think is going to happen and how does Obama look when it's over?
You saying it didn't collapse under the previous administration?

Nov 8, 2012
aphronesis said:
Sure. Not finding WMD in Iraq probably got the snowball rolling.

You saying it hasn't accelerated at an alarming rate... particularly from Obama's starting point? He was revered when first elected almost the world over.

What happened?

Scott SoCal said:

You saying it hasn't accelerated at an alarming rate... particularly from Obama's starting point? He was revered when first elected almost the world over.

What happened?
Not finding....? Please.

To your question, who cares, frankly? People for whom politics is a spectator sport apparently.

The sum total of your posts for months is "Obama sux." Duly noted. Got anything to say orher than being critical for its own sake? Doesn't seem so.

Nov 8, 2012
aphronesis said:
Not finding....? Please.

To your question, who cares, frankly? People for whom politics is a spectator sport apparently.

The sum total of your posts for months is "Obama sux." Duly noted. Got anything to say orher than being critical for its own sake? Doesn't seem so.
Apparently you do.

Maybe you can grace us with an eloquent response?

Got anything to say orher than being critical for its own sake?
Oh the irony.

Jul 4, 2009
aphronesis said:
....please, you know how allergic SoCal is to reality, so for the love of gawd, don't confuse him any further with facts on the ground....it could only lead to the total implosion of the entity we know as SoCal...we'll be left with nothing but some bits of white foam and dust ( oh and forgot,a really bad smell! )

Cheers

Jul 4, 2009
Scott SoCal said:
....in point of fact it did....and after several trillion dollars got vapourized in that snowball adventure in the desert you are well on your way to that collapsey thang....

Cheers

Nov 8, 2012
blutto said:
....in point of fact it did....and after several trillion dollars got vapourized in that snowball adventure in the desert you are well on your way to that collapsey thang....

Cheers
I'm not collapsing B. Try and keep up.

May 27, 2012
Scott SoCal said:

What happened?
No, you're right. Obama has actively diminished our standing in the world.

Republicans have also made sure they did everything they could to make his mistakes even worse in the eyes of the world. They have tried to destroy him internally, and undermine his authority to the world. That you never seem to recognize the significant contribution of your tribe's rhetoric to this issue is telling and unfortunate. You (collectively) have done as much to destroy our image to the world as anyone. Particularly the Tea Party Patriots who the Republican party members are too cowardly to fight.

And please quit regurgitating the "never found any WMD" lie...there were never any WMD in the first place. They were a creation of the Bush administration...our you can call also them an absolute fu*king lie...either way...

Jul 4, 2009
Scott SoCal said:
Apparently you do.

Maybe you can grace us with an eloquent response?

Oh the irony.
...you've already graced up with more than enough sub-standard eloquence from Mr Black...I believe this thread is now already way past its daily exposure threshold to eloquence so please no more calls for eloquence....think of the women and children!....

Cheers

Jul 4, 2009
Scott SoCal said:
I'm not collapsing B. Try and keep up.
....oh Chewie, now look what you've done....you've got him writing his own jokes!...

...needs work though...because at a minimum jokes should be at least slightly funny do they not?...and definitely not wholly pathetic...just a thought...

Cheers

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS