• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

U.S. Politics

Page 470 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 8, 2012
RetroActive said:
This should get interesting:

Kerry’s Offhand Proposal on Syria Arms Welcomed
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/10/world/middleeast/kerry-says-syria-should-hand-over-all-chemical-arms.html?pagewanted=all&_r=2&

MOSCOW — A seemingly offhand suggestion by Secretary of State John Kerry that Syria could avert an American attack by relinquishing all of its chemical weapons received a widespread, almost immediate welcome from Syria, Russia, the United Nations, a key American ally and even some Republicans on Monday as a possible way to avoid a major international military showdown in the Syria crisis.
That comment has been "walked-back" by the administration.

Jul 4, 2009
RetroActive said:
This should get interesting:

Kerry’s Offhand Proposal on Syria Arms Welcomed
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/10/world/middleeast/kerry-says-syria-should-hand-over-all-chemical-arms.html?pagewanted=all&_r=2&

MOSCOW — A seemingly offhand suggestion by Secretary of State John Kerry that Syria could avert an American attack by relinquishing all of its chemical weapons received a widespread, almost immediate welcome from Syria, Russia, the United Nations, a key American ally and even some Republicans on Monday as a possible way to avoid a major international military showdown in the Syria crisis.
...be very interesting to see how Israel will respond in the future when the deterrent that the chemical weapons represent is safely off the table...

Cheers

Jul 4, 2009
....some wit and wisdom from a certain Mr Krugman....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

My guess, in other words, was that Mr. Barrasso was inadvertently illustrating the widening “wonk gap” — the G.O.P.’s near-complete lack of expertise on anything substantive. Health care is the most prominent example, but the dumbing down extends across the spectrum, from budget issues to national security to poll analysis. Remember, Mitt Romney and much of his party went into Election Day expecting victory….

But that was then. Modern conservatism has become a sort of cult, very much given to conspiracy theorizing when confronted with inconvenient facts. Liberal policies were supposed to cause hyperinflation, so low measured inflation must reflect statistical fraud; the threat of climate change implies the need for public action, so global warming must be a gigantic scientific hoax. Oh, and Mitt Romney would have won if only he had been a real conservative.

It’s all kind of funny, in a way. Unfortunately, however, this runaway cult controls the House, which gives it immense destructive power — the power, for example, to wreak havoc on the economy by refusing to raise the debt ceiling. And it’s disturbing to realize that this power rests in the hands of men who, thanks to the wonk gap, quite literally have no idea what they’re doing.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers

Jan 27, 2013
rhubroma said:
At least that much is clear. It also stinks to high heaven.
Universal empire is also clear. So much for soft power and diplomacy. The economy, the population, the enviroment, etc. we have big problems but how this solves anything is beyond me. So much for reason, when push comes to shove... It really is unimaginable. :(

Jan 27, 2013
blutto said:
...be very interesting to see how Israel will respond in the future when the deterrent that the chemical weapons represent is safely off the table...

Cheers
Who knows, how will Russia respond to whatever happens? In the final equation it's Syria to Iran and Iran to Russia, so it seems. With everyone else caught in the ****storm. :eek:

RetroActive said:
Universal empire is also clear. So much for soft power and diplomacy. The economy, the population, the enviroment, etc. we have big problems but how this solves anything is beyond me. So much for reason, when push comes to shove... It really is unimaginable. :(
I can't believe I'm actually about to quote Pope Francesco but here goes: "To select the good requires saying no to the hate of fratricide and to the lies that serves it. There always remains a doubt if a war is a real war, or if it's a commercial war to increment the sale of arms?"

Jan 27, 2013
rhubroma said:
I can't believe I'm actually about to quote Pope Francesco but here goes: "To select the good requires saying no to the hate of fratricide and to the lies that serves it. There always remains a doubt if a war is a real war, or if it's a commercial war to increment the sale of arms?"
Well here's the response:
US Refuses To Admit Checkmate By Russia And Syria, Redirects Purpose Of Military Incursion: Admits Regime Change Intention
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-09-09/us-refuses-admit-checkmate-russia-and-syria-redirects-purpose-military-incursion

I have to step away from the computer. This is like commentating on toddlers fighting over toys. The theatre of the absurd writ large. Disgusting.

Sep 10, 2009
Hey it's BroDeal's hero, doing what he does best apparently.

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/report-george-zimmerman-taken-into-custody-after-incident

George Zimmerman was taken into custody on Monday following an altercation with another person involving a gun, Orlando's WKMG reported.

Police told the news station they were called to respond to a report that Zimmerman was involved in an altercation with another individual at a home on Sprucewood Road in Lake Mary, Fla. A threat was involved, police said.

No other details about the incident were immediately available, according to WKMG.

Update:

George Zimmerman has not been arrested and Lake Mary police are at the home trying to determine what happened, the Associated Press reported. The AP also reported that police said Zimmerman's wife, Shellie, made the call saying Zimmerman threatened her and her father with a gun.

WKMG is now reporting that Zimmerman is "being questioned" about the incident.
I think BDs head would've exploded if she'd stood her ground. ;)

Bit more:

The Associated Press reports that Zimmerman allegedly violently threatened his estranged wife, Shellie, and her father first with a knife, punched the father-in-law in the nose, and pulled out his gun at her parents’ house in Lake Mary, Central Florida, just days after Shellie filed for divorce.

In her 911 call, Shellie said, “He continuously has his hand on his gun and he keeps saying ‘get closer.” On the call she also said, “Dad get inside the house George might start shooting at us” and “I’m really really afraid. I don’t know what he’s capable of.”
Yep, just the type of guy who should be armed.

Sep 25, 2009
RetroActive said:
Who knows, how will Russia respond to whatever happens? In the final equation it's Syria to Iran and Iran to Russia, so it seems. With everyone else caught in the ****storm. :eek:
their response was hinted at by the tsar vlad himself already (and he's been quite consistent with his predictions w/o saying too much) - getting closer to iran with all the grave implications for israel and the west - from the delivery of s-300 air-to-air systems, to shielding it from the un security council pressure to downright nuclear cooperation on 'peaceful atom':rolleyes:

once the relations are in the toilet, playing a spoiler is much easier and cheaper than building good-will, ephemeral bridges no one in the west gave a rats **** about...

if obama in another armature move will have refused to talk to vlad face to face, the tsar will find another easy way to fark him...again, a spoiler is cheap and that's what russia is ready to do to be heard.

Nov 8, 2012
blutto said:
....some wit and wisdom from a certain Mr Krugman....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

My guess, in other words, was that Mr. Barrasso was inadvertently illustrating the widening “wonk gap” — the G.O.P.’s near-complete lack of expertise on anything substantive. Health care is the most prominent example, but the dumbing down extends across the spectrum, from budget issues to national security to poll analysis. Remember, Mitt Romney and much of his party went into Election Day expecting victory….

But that was then. Modern conservatism has become a sort of cult, very much given to conspiracy theorizing when confronted with inconvenient facts. Liberal policies were supposed to cause hyperinflation, so low measured inflation must reflect statistical fraud; the threat of climate change implies the need for public action, so global warming must be a gigantic scientific hoax. Oh, and Mitt Romney would have won if only he had been a real conservative.

It’s all kind of funny, in a way. Unfortunately, however, this runaway cult controls the House, which gives it immense destructive power — the power, for example, to wreak havoc on the economy by refusing to raise the debt ceiling. And it’s disturbing to realize that this power rests in the hands of men who, thanks to the wonk gap, quite literally have no idea what they’re doing.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers
And all this time I thought Krugman was an economist. Turns out he is a run-of-the-mill political hack.

Sep 10, 2009
Scott SoCal said:
odern conservatism has become a sort of cult, very much given to conspiracy theorizing when confronted with inconvenient facts.
And all this time I thought Krugman was an economist. Turns out he is a run-of-the-mill political hack.
Oh I don't know, I think he might be on to something there.

After cracking the case of President Obama’s secret Muslim ring, WorldNetDaily’s latest scoop exposes Obama’s secret Muslim foot signals.

In her column, “Obama Sending Muslim Subtle Message?,” Andrea Shea King claims that a photo of Obama with his foot on the Resolute desk of the Oval Office is actually “a wordless message of support to the Muslim Brotherhood, Arab street and Islamic community in general.”

“It is, after all, common knowledge that the Arab world considers the bottom of one’s shoes the ultimate sign of disrespect,” she writes.

- See more at: http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/wnd-obama-sending-secret-muslim-foot-signals#sthash.AQ7wGn1t.dpuf
To the cons, even a simple pic of Obama with his foot on the desk is material for grand conspiracy theories these days.

btw did you know it was the Obama administration that used chemical weapons in Syria, not Assad? So says Rush.

The Obama administration has accused the regime of Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad of carrying out a chemical weapons attack outside Damascus that killed nearly 1,500 people.

But maybe it’s a frame job, and Obama actually conspired with al Qaeda to gas innocent Syrians as a pretext for going to war against Assad. That’s what right-wing radio host Rush Limbaugh wondered aloud on his radio show Tuesday.
http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/09/05/did-obama-frame-assad-hey-rush-limbaugh-is-just-asking/

Jul 4, 2009
Scott SoCal said:
....ooooh...the ironical irony of you, the quintessential bottom of the barrel political hack, calling Krugman a hack...that is rich!...and coming from someone who just quoted Conrad f**king Black....yeah real rich!

....nahhh...Krugman is just a guy with a fine mind making a call as obvious as the day is long...in fact a blind man in a raging snowstorm could see that call...

....so sorry if the truth has hit so close to home...

Cheers

May 27, 2012
RetroActive said:
Don't you just love it when presidents keep repeating the same unintelligible gibberish?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byxeOG_pZ1o

It's a good thing Americans don't read.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_and_Hope

You're a good worker for the thought police. Reminds me of talking about doping in cycling with Lance fans 10 yrs. ago. Tedious as hell.

Enjoy WW whatever number. Hope your team wins the next election.
As you say: Toodles!
Enjoy the wilds of Montana, and remember to use a wet sponge for the stamps, because they can get DNA if you lick them!

Nov 8, 2012
Nov 8, 2012
blutto said:
....nahhh...just a guy with a fine mind making a call as obvious as the day is long...

....so sorry if the truth has hit so close to home...

Cheers
Oh I'm sure you'll let me know whenever Krugman says something that's true. I'm not too worried about hearing from you all that often.

Jul 4, 2009
Scott SoCal said:
Oh I'm sure you'll let me know whenever Krugman says something that's true. I'm not too worried about hearing from you all that often.
...we could start with this little chestnut....

"... men ( that is your tribe that is being referred to if you are wondering ) who quite literally have no idea what they’re doing"

...or in your case what you are talking about...

Cheers

Nov 8, 2012
blutto said:
...we could start with this little chestnut....

"... men ( that is your tribe that is being referred to if you are wondering ) who quite literally have no idea what they’re doing"

...or in your case what you are talking about...

Cheers
Yep. I think he's also referred to the Obama economic team in similar terms.

Perhaps you missed that.

Scott SoCal said:
That comment has bee "walked-back" by the administration.
What we need a ban on is "walking back" comments. You would think Obama would love this as a great solution to the problem. No military action, can say that the problem was addressed. Of course it won't be, but military action won't address it, either. Since it's all about symbolism, about at least pretending to care about chemical warfare, why not go with the less dangerous form of symbolism?

George Zimmerman is like OJ. He dodged one legal bullet, but give him enough rope and http://www.sfgate.com/news/crime/article/Zimmerman-wife-say-the-other-was-aggressor-4799163.php]he will hang himself[/URL] eventually:

Shellie Zimmerman called 911, saying her estranged husband had threatened her and her father with a gun, and that he had punched her father in the nose.
Trayvon Martin was not some unfortunate accident. Given Zimmerman’s character, something like that was bound to happen sooner or later. And as long as he’s not in jail, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if it happens again.

Edit: Didn't see VC's post. This thread moves fast.

Nov 8, 2012
Liberal, heartfelt, core anti-war beliefs.

Ed Asner Explains Hollywood Silence on Obama, Syria: They 'Don't Want to Feel Anti-Black'

Another reason some Hollywood progressives have been reticent to speak out against war in Syria, according to Asner, is fear of being called racist.

"A lot of people don't want to feel anti-black by being opposed to Obama," he said.
Two-edged sword, that.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/syria-why-hollywoods-anti-war-623326

VeloCity said:
Hey it's BroDeal's hero, doing what he does best apparently.

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/report-george-zimmerman-taken-into-custody-after-incident

I think BDs head would've exploded if she'd stood her ground. ;)

Bit more:

Yep, just the type of guy who should be armed.
This guy is still aloud to own a gun:eek:

What the US need is proper gun control, psychiatric tests to own one, proof of necessity of reason for ownership (self defense not being one), .....

Jan 27, 2013
White House insists it may strike Syria without congressional approval
http://thehill.com/blogs/defcon-hill/operations/321103-white-house-insists-it-may-strike-syria-without-congressional-approval

The White House insisted Monday that it was legally able to launch a strike on Syria without congressional approval even as it intensified its courting of lawmakers to support military action.

White House counsel Kathryn Ruemmler told the New York Times that a strike would be lawful under both domestic and international law. She told the paper that the president could strike because of the “important national interests” surrounding the use of chemical weapons, even without Congress or United Nations approval.

Ruemmler contended that while the Syria situation “may not fit under a traditionally recognized legal basis under international law,” it would nevertheless be “justified and legitimate.”

:confused:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS