• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

U.S. Politics

Page 471 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 8, 2012
11,640
0
0
RetroActive said:
White House insists it may strike Syria without congressional approval
http://thehill.com/blogs/defcon-hill/operations/321103-white-house-insists-it-may-strike-syria-without-congressional-approval


The White House insisted Monday that it was legally able to launch a strike on Syria without congressional approval even as it intensified its courting of lawmakers to support military action.

White House counsel Kathryn Ruemmler told the New York Times that a strike would be lawful under both domestic and international law. She told the paper that the president could strike because of the “important national interests” surrounding the use of chemical weapons, even without Congress or United Nations approval.

Ruemmler contended that while the Syria situation “may not fit under a traditionally recognized legal basis under international law,” it would nevertheless be “justified and legitimate.”

:confused:
It's today's narrative. Samantha Power interview on NPR;

Inskeep: Let me ask a central question for you, because you're representing the U.S. at the United Nations, which has not authorized a strike. Would an American strike on Syria be legal?

Power: If we take military action in this context, it'll be a legitimate, necessary, and proportionate response to this large-scale and indiscriminate use of chemical weapons by the regime. Nobody has tried harder than this administration to work through the Security Council over two-and-a-half years. As you're well aware, of course, even modest humanitarian and political measures have been rejected by Russia in New York. We've had three resolutions put forward, all of which have been vetoed by Russia, and on chemical weapons specifically and perhaps most heartbreakingly, even on the day, on August 21, when those ghastly images were broadcast all around the world, we couldn't even get a press release out of the Security Council, condemning, generically, use of chemical weapons.

Inskeep: So let me just make sure that I'm clear on this. You're saying that something needs to be done, and it is time to go outside the legal system, outside the legal framework. You believe it is right to do something that is just simply not legal.

Power: In the cases we've seen in the past, there are times where there is a patron like Syria backed by Russia--we saw this in Kosovo as well, where it was just structurally impossible to get meaningful international action through the Security Council, and yet in this case you have the great reach of such a critical international norm in terms of the ban on chemical weapons use, it is very important that the international community act so as to prevent further use.



http://www.npr.org/2013/09/09/220586231/u-s-ambassador-susan-rice-makes-case-for-strikes-on-syria
 
Jan 27, 2013
1,363
0
0
Rope-a-dope. This would be the best option, imo. Grab the olive branch already.

Obama: Strike 'Absolutely' on Hold if Syria Abandons Chemical Weapons
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/obama-strike-absolutely-hold-syria-abandons-chemical-weapons/story?id=20205109

"I consider this a modestly positive development," Obama told ABC News' Diane Sawyer in an interview at the White House when asked whether Syria's apparent willingness to relinquish control of its chemical weapons would prevent a U.S. strike.

"Let's see if we can come up with language that avoids a strike but accomplishes our key goals to make sure that these chemical weapons are not used," the president said.
 
May 27, 2012
5,293
0
0
Scott SoCal said:
Liberal, heartfelt, core anti-war beliefs.

Ed Asner Explains Hollywood Silence on Obama, Syria: They 'Don't Want to Feel Anti-Black'



Two-edged sword, that.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/syria-why-hollywoods-anti-war-623326
The right's definition of racism is seeing racism in everything. Thus, by modern conservative definition, Ed Asner is a racist.

So does this make it okay for liberals to define the way they define racism, and say that all the conservatives that were jacking-off to the thought of playing chickenhawk, who are now acting like this is a bad idea (told you they would) motivated by the fact that Obama is black? Only Obama could make a freaking chickenhawk think launching missiles is a bad idea.
 
May 27, 2012
5,293
0
0
Scott SoCal said:
Liberal, heartfelt, core anti-war beliefs.

Ed Asner Explains Hollywood Silence on Obama, Syria: They 'Don't Want to Feel Anti-Black'



Two-edged sword, that.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/syria-why-hollywoods-anti-war-623326
Turns out it isn't just me: http://www.policymic.com/articles/62177/you-think-obama-wants-to-strike-syria-you-re-wrong

Next, we get the NRA and gun nuts to cave on background checks and the like by having Obama advocate African Americans join the NRA in droves, and go purchase as many weapons as they can.
 
May 27, 2012
5,293
0
0
He is getting out of this, and in the end, he can point to Republicans and talk about what a bunch of deranged, obstructionist morons they are for being behind killing them some A-rabs, and then fleeing like he knew they would when he handed them what they asked for (when they really didn't want it, they just wanted to pretend to want it so they could criticize him). Never have so many been so inept for so long.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/09/obama-syria-chemical-weapons_n_3896093.html

Somebody needs to give me a freaking job in the media or something.
 
Nov 8, 2012
11,640
0
0
ChewbaccaD said:
The right's definition of racism is seeing racism in everything. Thus, by modern conservative definition, Ed Asner is a racist.

So does this make it okay for liberals to define the way they define racism, and say that all the conservatives that were jacking-off to the thought of playing chickenhawk, who are now acting like this is a bad idea (told you they would) motivated by the fact that Obama is black? Only Obama could make a freaking chickenhawk think launching missiles is a bad idea.
The right's definition of racism is seeing racism in everything. Thus, by modern conservative definition, Ed Asner is a racist.
You have that exactly backwards. The left sees racism in everything and that has swung around to effect Asner and the other anti-war Hollywood Libs and how they are (not) reacting to Obama's war-making. Interesting corner they have painted themselves in to. Give Asner some credit for admitting...

So does this make it okay for liberals to define the way they define racism, and say that all the conservatives that were jacking-off to the thought of playing chickenhawk, who are now acting like this is a bad idea (told you they would) motivated by the fact that Obama is black? Only Obama could make a freaking chickenhawk think launching missiles is a bad idea

It will be interesting to count the votes and see who voted for what. My guess is, as it's always been, it won't be the R's stopping Obama (if it goes that way).

And then the latest being floated is going war no matter what... in which case I will have an "I told you so" moment.
 
Nov 8, 2012
11,640
0
0
ChewbaccaD said:
He is getting out of this, and in the end, he can point to Republicans and talk about what a bunch of deranged, obstructionist morons they are for being behind killing them some A-rabs, and then fleeing like he knew they would when he handed them what they asked for (when they really didn't want it, they just wanted to pretend to want it so they could criticize him). Never have so many been so inept for so long.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/09/obama-syria-chemical-weapons_n_3896093.html

Somebody needs to give me a freaking job in the media or something.
Never have so many been so inept for so long
This might be wishful thinking by HuffPo. The admin had reported earlier that they walked back Kerry's comments. If they do this then Putin gets all the credit and BO looks like a fool. He may get out of this but it has certainly cost him plenty.

Both congress and the admin are just idiotic. It's bad. As bad as I can ever remember.
 
May 27, 2012
5,293
0
0
Scott SoCal said:
You have that exactly backwards. The left sees racism in everything and that has swung around to effect Asner and the other anti-war Hollywood Libs and how they are (not) reacting to Obama's war-making. Interesting corner they have painted themselves in to. Give Asner some credit for admitting...
Nope, for years, your great leader Limbaugh has blathered over and over about the real racists being those liberals who see racism in everything.


Scott SoCal said:
It will be interesting to count the votes and see who voted for what. My guess is, as it's always been, it won't be the R's stopping Obama (if it goes that way).

And then the latest being floated is going war no matter what... in which case I will have an "I told you so" moment.
No, the latest is that Obama is interested in this third door Russia has proposed. Every wonder why he didn't ask Congress in immediately to deal with this?...yea, I didn't.
 
May 27, 2012
5,293
0
0
Scott SoCal said:
This might be wishful thinking by HuffPo. The admin had reported earlier that they walked back Kerry's comments. If they do this then Putin gets all the credit and BO looks like a fool. He may get out of this but it has certainly cost him plenty.

Both congress and the admin are just idiotic. It's bad. As bad as I can ever remember.
Nope, Obama says the idea is a "potential breakthrough." They are on the road to Russian peace, and the only ineptness is the republican's inability to do anything but criticize from the cheap seats, while Obama will have "worked his way through this very difficult situation both at home and abroad."

He may be inept at governing sometimes, but he owns your tribe on the political field of battle. No question about it.
 
Nov 8, 2012
11,640
0
0
ChewbaccaD said:
Nope, for years, your great leader Limbaugh has blathered over and over about the real racists being those liberals who see racism in everything.




No, the latest is that Obama is interested in this third door Russia has proposed. Every wonder why he didn't ask Congress in immediately to deal with this?...yea, I didn't.

your great leader Limbaugh
This is just weak. Next you'll tell me Ann Coulter is running things for "my" tribe.

The one and only time Limbaugh might possibly had enough influence to shape policy was the Gingrich led house take over in 1994. That's nearly 20 years ago for those keeping score.

Your tribe drops the racism charge so often nobody even listens anymore. Seeing racism where there is none is almost solely the domain of the rabid left. Has been for several decades now.

No, the latest is that Obama is interested in this third door Russia has proposed.
Russia is code for Putin. You are on an island nearly by yourself if you think Obama comes out of this unscathed.

Obama owns the R's? More or less than Obama being owned by Putin?
 
Nov 8, 2012
11,640
0
0
ChewbaccaD said:
As well you should...:)

Seriously, WND is one kook shy of Branch Davidian like paranoia.

Maybe so.

I'm curious tho... Why is it so f'ing difficult for you guys to criticize your own? Is it just the heat of the argument or are you guys just that insular?
 
May 27, 2012
5,293
0
0
Scott SoCal said:
Maybe so.

I'm curious tho... Why is it so f'ing difficult for you guys to criticize your own? Is it just the heat of the argument or are you guys just that insular?
Your side is so fu*king overboard with criticism, he doesn't need anymore...plus, it's too fun pointing out just how absurd it is for a bunch of elected kooks and morons to be pointing the finger at anyone. Your tribe has a problem, and your side has no idea what to do about it. And like it or not, at least in the south, much of the vitriol and constant obstructionism is based in racism. Don't agree? Move to fu*king South Carolina or my state of North Carolina and see for yourself. I have heard the president of the United fu*king States of America openly referred to as "that ni**er" on 3 separate occasions. And then you get absolute fu*king mouth breathing fu*kweasel's like Rep. Richard Hudson who's whole platform was based on "taking a wrecking ball to Obama's liberal agenda" and you'll just to have to fu*king excuse me if I find the protestations that racism has ended and that I need to criticize him here. Then you throw in postings from sites like WND which are blindingly fu*king stupid, just fu*king moronic on so many levels, and it is almost too much for me to take.

So yea, I can criticize him...but why bother? I won't go nearly far enough into bizarro fu*king clown car land for me to make a dent. Obama is too fu*king busy shaking his fu*king foot in some effort to signal the fu*king Muslim Brotherhood to notice that his fu*king birth certificate is still an issue so lets just let him deal with that and the other fu*king moronic conspiracy theories thrown at him every day of every month of every year he is president without my criticism, mmmkay?
 
Nov 8, 2012
11,640
0
0
ChewbaccaD said:
Your side is so fu*king overboard with criticism, he doesn't need anymore...plus, it's too fun pointing out just how absurd it is for a bunch of elected kooks and morons to be pointing the finger at anyone. Your tribe has a problem, and your side has no idea what to do about it. And like it or not, at least in the south, much of the vitriol and constant obstructionism is based in racism. Don't agree? Move to fu*king South Carolina or my state of North Carolina and see for yourself. I have heard the president of the United fu*king States of America openly referred to as "that ni**er" on 3 separate occasions. And then you get absolute fu*king mouth breathing fu*kweasel's like Rep. Richard Hudson who's whole platform was based on "taking a wrecking ball to Obama's liberal agenda" and you'll just to have to fu*king excuse me if I find the protestations that racism has ended and that I need to criticize him here. Then you throw in postings from sites like WND which are blindingly fu*king stupid, just fu*king moronic on so many levels, and it is almost too much for me to take.

So yea, I can criticize him...but why bother? I won't go nearly far enough into bizarro fu*king clown car land for me to make a dent. Obama is too fu*king busy shaking his fu*king foot in some effort to signal the fu*king Muslim Brotherhood to notice that his fu*king birth certificate is still an issue so lets just let him deal with that and the other fu*king moronic conspiracy theories thrown at him every day of every month of every year he is president.
Your late night rants are priceless.:)
 
Nov 8, 2012
11,640
0
0
Oh boy..

Obama’s accidental diplomacy

President Barack Obama has stumbled into a possible resolution of the Syria showdown, after an act of apparently accidental U.S. diplomacy seemed to deliver a potential way to wriggle out of his political predicament.
Secretary of State John Kerry suggested at a London news conference Monday morning that the crisis could be defused if Syrian President Bashar Assad surrendered his chemical weapons to an international force. The Russians jumped on the idea and Monday evening Obama was sounding open to the proposal.
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/09/syria-obama-accidental-diplomacy-96519.html?hp=t1_3

Yep.

Obama in trouble with Senate Dems on Syria

President Barack Obama’s push for military action in Syria is running into a serious problem — Senate Democrats.
Opposition is growing to a U.S. strike on Syria among Obama’s allies and former colleagues in his own party, a sign that there is a real chance that the White House could fall short of the 50 votes it needs to win in the Senate, according to several sources familiar with the situation.

I'm sure the spinmeisters will get creative and find a way to blame the R's.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/09/barack-obama-senate-democrats-syria-96501.html?hp=t3_3
 
Jul 4, 2009
9,573
0
0
Scott SoCal said:
Oh boy..

Obama’s accidental diplomacy



http://www.politico.com/story/2013/09/syria-obama-accidental-diplomacy-96519.html?hp=t1_3

Yep.

Obama in trouble with Senate Dems on Syria




I'm sure the spinmeisters will get creative and find a way to blame the R's.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/09/barack-obama-senate-democrats-syria-96501.html?hp=t3_3
...its a proven fact that in 97% of the cases the spinmeisters do not have to get creative....its just a slam dunk...they just have to print the facts....

Cheers
 
Nov 8, 2012
11,640
0
0
VeloCity said:
Hey it's BroDeal's hero, doing what he does best apparently.

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/report-george-zimmerman-taken-into-custody-after-incident

I think BDs head would've exploded if she'd stood her ground. ;)

Bit more:

Yep, just the type of guy who should be armed.

Not too shockingly the original reporting was less than accurate. But it fit your narrative.


"We did not find a gun, did not locate a weapon," said Zach Hudson, public information officer with the Lake Mary Police Department. "Nobody ever saw a gun. A gun is not part of this story."
Oops.

Shellie called police to her father's home on Sprucewood Road around 2 p.m. She claimed George punched her father in the face and threatened both of them with a gun.

"He accosted my father and then took my IPad and then smashed it and cut it with a pocketknife. I don't know what he is capable of. I am really really scared," Shellie told dispatchers.

According to authorities, Shellie's father did not have any visible injuries.

There are also other inconsistencies police pointed to on the 911.
Shellie told dispatchers that officers arrived and had their guns drawn. She said George was sitting in his car. Fearing George would start shooting, she told the dispatcher her and her father were going inside.

According to police, George was not in his car when they arrived but was standing in the yard. They say he was also very cooperative and allowed police to search his person.

After being questioned by police, Shellie left the home with her attorney.
Police explained that George has been living in his father-in-law's home. It was just last week that Shellie Zimmerman filed for divorce.
http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/news/region_tampa/lake-mary-police-are-now-calling-into-question-several-statements-shellie-zimmerman-made-to-911


Must be a conspiracy and the Lake Mary cops are probably in on it.
 
Nov 8, 2012
11,640
0
0
gobuck said:
The president is in a no win situation with the Repubs. Reminds me of the saying:
"The food here is terrible , and in such small portions".
Not just the Repubs. It's a no win with his own party and most, if not all of Americas allies.

The good news is he's already taking credit for the diplomatic solution now emerging, so there's that.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS