• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

U.S. Politics

Page 472 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 10, 2009
Scott SoCal said:
Not too shockingly the original reporting was less than accurate. But it fit your narrative.

Oops.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/news/region_tampa/lake-mary-police-are-now-calling-into-question-several-statements-shellie-zimmerman-made-to-911

Must be a conspiracy and the Lake Mary cops are probably in on it.
Not according to Zimmerman's own attorney.

The question of the gun became confused later when police told reporters there was no gun involved, but George Zimmerman's attorney told CNN's Anderson Cooper 360 that he believed his client had a firearm on him.
"He acted appropriately. He never took the weapon out," said Mark O'Mara, who is also a CNN legal analyst. O'Mara said he never saw the gun.
And you can listen to the 911 audio yourself.

"He's in his car and he continually has his hand on his gun, and he's saying, 'Step closer.' He's just threatening all of us with his firearm," she says.
Shellie Zimmerman also tells 911 that George Zimmerman punched her father in the nose, then smashed her iPad before getting in his truck.
"I don't know what he's capable of. I'm really, really scared," she says.
She never saw the gun but assumed that he had it because he always kept one in the car. Police also assumed that he had a gun in the car but didn't bother to search it. Good thing she wasn't wearing a hoodie.

In any event, is this the kind of guy you think should be allowed to carry a concealed weapon or to own a gun at all? An obviously disturbed and violent dude? Yet he's a hero to the right and the gun nuts. That's just ****ing twisted beyond belief. And here I thought you and BD kept arguing that this is exactly the type of person who give guns a bad name.

Nov 8, 2012
VeloCity said:
Not according to Zimmerman's own attorney.

And you can listen to the 911 audio yourself.

She never saw the gun but assumed that he had it because he always kept one in the car. Police also assumed that he had a gun in the car but didn't bother to search it. Good thing she wasn't wearing a hoodie.

In any event, is this the kind of guy you think should be allowed to carry a concealed weapon or to own a gun at all? An obviously disturbed and violent dude? Yet he's a hero to the right and the gun nuts. That's just ****ing twisted beyond belief. And here I thought you and BD kept arguing that this is exactly the type of person who give guns a bad name.
So THAT'S why the cops said there was no gun involved. Got it.

Zimmerman? Meh. Bang on him till the cows come home. Your greater point is what you really wish to make. No civilian should be allowed to own a gun, even though its #2 on the top 10 guarantees made by our inconvenient in need of massive revision constitution.

You brought this latest argument to the table and like normal, you didn't have all the facts. And also like normal, lack of facts and all the facts change nothing in your mind. You already know what you know.

Sep 10, 2009
Scott SoCal said:
So THAT'S why the cops said there was no gun involved. Got it

Zimmerman? Meh. Bang on him till the cows come home. Your greater point is what you really wish to make. No civilian should be allowed to own a gun, even though its #2 on the top 10 guarantees made by our inconvenient in need of massive revision constitution.

You brought this latest argument to the table and like normal, you didn't have all the facts. And also like normal, lack of facts and all the facts change nothing in your mind. You already know what you know.
Dude, the facts are and the point is that the guy is a disturbed individual prone to violence that you and BD and the gun-worshippers held up as a prime example of the need for guns and exactly the kind of guy - with a history of criminal violence and mentally disturbed - you kept arguing shouldn't have guns. :rolleyes:

Best part is that Zimmerman claims he was "acting in a defensive manner". Wonder how long it'll be before he kills someone else in "self-defense"?

Nov 8, 2012
VeloCity said:
Dude, the facts are and the point is that the guy is a disturbed individual prone to violence that you and BD and the gun-worshippers held up as a prime example of the need for guns and exactly the kind of guy - with a history of criminal violence and mentally disturbed - you kept arguing shouldn't have guns. :rolleyes:

Best part is that Zimmerman claims he was "acting in a defensive manner". Wonder how long it'll be before he kills someone else in "self-defense"?
I think the better question is when will Zimmerman be found face-down in a pool of his own blood.

Jul 4, 2009
Scott SoCal said:
So THAT'S why the cops said there was no gun involved. Got it.
....the following is from .."...Zimmerman's attorney Mark O'Mara..."

"...O'Mara confirmed Zimmerman had his gun on him. "He was armed ... He put his hand (on the gun) to make sure it was holstered," he said. "He knows how to carry responsibly."..."

"Police initially took away Zimmerman's gun, but O'Mara said it was later returned to his client."

....is this one of those incidents that hinges on a definition of the word "no"..?....we already know that "carry responsibly" is off the table on the BWB technicality...

Cheers

Jul 4, 2009
Scott SoCal said:
I think the better question is when will Zimmerman be found face-down in a pool of his own blood.
...let me take a page out of SoCal's play-book and read this thang, between the lines style, for everyone....so here is what the above statement should say...

"I think the better situation is when Zimmerman will be found face-down in a pool of his own blood"

....and why better you all ask?....because at that point SoCal, our very own "creative" spinmeister, has some great material with which to backfill a story he and BroDeal have been fabricating for what seems like several hundred posts now...

....thank you...thank you very much....

Cheers

Nov 8, 2012
blutto said:
...let me take a page out of SoCal's play-book and read this thang, between the lines style, for everyone....so here is what the above statement should say...

"I think the better situation is when Zimmerman will be found face-down in a pool of his own blood"

....and why better you all ask?....because at that point SoCal, our very own "creative" spinmeister, has some great material with which to backfill a story he and BroDeal have been fabricating for what seems like several hundred posts now...

....thank you...thank you very much....

Cheers

And in the very next breath you'll wax poetically about our judicial system and all of it's inherit qualities and virtues. Except when the system gets it wrong... then a little ol' fashion vigilante justice is in order.

No need to thank me. It's pure pleasure to point out your hypocritical double standards (and many other shortcomings).

Jul 4, 2009
Scott SoCal said:
And in the very next breath you'll wax poetically about our judicial system and all of it's inherit qualities and virtues.
...wrong again....I see no "inherent qualities and virtues" in your judicial system...not to say it may well be nicely written on the finest paper but sadly it has a very long history of grossly misapplying the central part of any judicial system. that is, justice...

....and btw I think you should take your Colosto-Vision into the shop for a tune-up...seems to be back-firing badly because every time you open your mouth its spewing sh!te everywhere ...sounds like your input sensors are all shot ( yet again I may add...you gotta stop using those cheap foreign parts....yeah, you save some money but think of the sky high dry-cleaning bills... )...either that or just change your moniker to SoWrong and bank the savings...

Cheers

Jul 4, 2009
Scott SoCal said:
And in the very next breath you'll wax poetically about our judicial system and all of it's inherit qualities and virtues. Except when the system gets it wrong... then a little ol' fashion vigilante justice is in order.

No need to thank me. It's pure pleasure to point out your hypocritical double standards (and many other shortcomings).
...btw ( I bring this up because you seem to have mis-understood my post ...or were you just mis-representing? ) I was paraphrasing your statement ( though plagiarizing may be the more appropriate term) ...as in, speaking in your voice.....like putting out what you really meant but can't really say because it may reveal something unpleasant about you and your tribe...

Cheers

Nov 8, 2012
blutto said:
...btw I was paraphrasing your statement...speaking in your voice...like putting out what you really meant but can't really because it may reveal something unpleasant about you and your tribe...

Cheers
You should probably refrain from doing that. You clearly have enough trouble interpreting all the voices in your head. No need to burden yourself further by trying to determine what you think I meant.

Jul 4, 2009
Scott SoCal said:
No need to burden yourself further by trying to determine what you think I meant.
....actually its really not that difficult, dead nuts simple in fact.....so no trouble at all....but thanks for your concern....

Cheers

Nov 8, 2012
I suppose we can now consider Colorado a southern state.

Colorado Lawmakers Ousted in Recall Vote Over Gun Law

The recall elections ousted two Democratic state senators, John Morse and Angela Giron, and replaced them with Republicans. Both defeats were painful for Democrats – Mr. Morse’s because he had been Senate president, and Ms. Giron’s because she represented a heavily Democratic, working-class slice of southern Colorado.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/11/us/colorado-lawmaker-concedes-defeat-in-recall-over-gun-law.html?hp&_r=1&

Scott SoCal said:
Flying dangerously close to Conrad Black territory....

Klein's comments don't quite square with this:

President Obama's pitch: Someone should do something

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/09/obama-syria-speech-analysis-96600.html?hp=f2

Leadership we can all get behind, I suppose.
Anything is better than another war. The real tragedy, apart from the mass killing, has been that the resistance movement was initially guided by the secularists, but is now in the hands of the religious radicals.

How this transformation took place and what were the forces that determined it, are the big questions to which anyone with an interest in the future of Syria should ardently be seeking answers.

At any rate it makes no sense to provide aid to such fundamentalists, who, if they were to take control of the country, would rapidly transform it into another reprehensible Muslim theocracy.

There needs to be other means to promote modern societies in the Middle East - if this even can be done - than either the arms trade (which always ends up in the hands of the wrong people), or another military strike. To achieve what? Stop Assad and place the country in the hands of the religious radicals?

Sep 10, 2009
Scott SoCal said:
Flying dangerously close to Conrad Black territory....

Klein's comments don't quite square with this:

President Obama's pitch: Someone should do something

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/09/obama-syria-speech-analysis-96600.html?hp=f2

Leadership we can all get behind, I suppose.
Would you prefer the leadership of Ronnie Reagan?

http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/09/05/odonnell-reagan-let-saddam-buy-and-use-chemical-weapons/

O’Donnell cited a 2002 Washington Post article by Michael Dodd that found “the administrations of Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush authorized the sale to Iraq of numerous items that had both military and civilian applications, including poisonous chemicals and deadly biological viruses, such as anthrax and bubonic plague.”

As is widely reported, Hussein used these chemical weapons against Iranians in the Iran-Iraq war.

After the 1991 Gulf War, U.N. inspectors “compiled long lists of chemicals, missile components, and computers from American suppliers, including such household names as Union Carbide and Honeywell, which were being used for military purposes” in Iraq.

So it’s hard to understand where Rep. Ros-Lehtinen is coming from when she said, “We have to think like President Reagan would do and he would say chemical use is unacceptable.”

“That is what the mythical Ronald Reagan would say,” rebuked O’Donnell. “But the real Ronald Reagan said nothing when Saddam Hussein used chemical weapons, chemical weapons that the real Ronald Reagan actually helped him obtain.”
Or how about Obama just does what Ronnie did and help out with the gassing instead?

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2013/08/25/secret_cia_files_prove_america_helped_saddam_as_he_gassed_iran

In 1988, during the waning days of Iraq's war with Iran, the United States learned through satellite imagery that Iran was about to gain a major strategic advantage by exploiting a hole in Iraqi defenses. U.S. intelligence officials conveyed the location of the Iranian troops to Iraq, fully aware that Hussein's military would attack with chemical weapons, including sarin, a lethal nerve agent.

The intelligence included imagery and maps about Iranian troop movements, as well as the locations of Iranian logistics facilities and details about Iranian air defenses. The Iraqis used mustard gas and sarin prior to four major offensives in early 1988 that relied on U.S. satellite imagery, maps, and other intelligence. These attacks helped to tilt the war in Iraq's favor and bring Iran to the negotiating table, and they ensured that the Reagan administration's long-standing policy of securing an Iraqi victory would succeed. But they were also the last in a series of chemical strikes stretching back several years that the Reagan administration knew about and didn't disclose.
Now there's leadership cons can get behind.

Jan 27, 2013
rhubroma said:
Anything is better than another war. The real tragedy, apart from the mass killing, has been that the resistance movement was initially guided by the secularists, but is now in the hands of the religious radicals.

How this transformation took place and what were the forces that determined it, are the big questions to which anyone with an interest in the future of Syria should ardently be seeking answers.

At any rate it makes no sense to provide aid to such fundamentalists, who, if they were to take control of the country, would rapidly transform it into another reprehensible Muslim theocracy.

There needs to be other means to promote modern societies in the Middle East - if this even can be done - than either the arms trade (which always ends up in the hands of the wrong people), or another military strike. To achieve what? Stop Assad and place the country in the hands of the religious radicals?
I thought Assad was trying to modernize...anyway...

Syria conflict: Both sides 'committing war crimes'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-24045680
And, in a message to US and Russian diplomats preparing to meet in Geneva, the investigators insist: "There is no military solution to this conflict. Those who supply arms create but an illusion of victory."

Russia’s ‘carrier-killer’ Moskva enters Mediterranean
http://rt.com/news/russia-moskva-cruiser-mediterranean-720/
Russia’s Moskva missile cruiser, dubbed a “carrier-killer” by NATO, has passed through the Straits of Gibraltar and is now heading toward the eastern Mediterranean to assume command of the Russian naval force there.

Another layer of this drama is being discussed here with some interesting speculation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBWHm0p5ipM

The decay is so advanced seeing through the holes in the rot is (almost, never underestimate the power of denial:eek:) unavoidable now. We know what happens next, nothing new. The only question is a whimper or a bang? It's looking and sounding (oh Obama) like a bang.:(

Jan 27, 2013
mikeNphilly said:
Course it would not be until 1997 until those type of weapons were outlawed and the "Red Line" was created by the UN.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depleted_uranium
The requested UN working paper was delivered in 2002[41] by Y. K. J. Yeung Sik Yuen in accordance with Sub-Commission on the Promotion and Protection of Human Rights resolution 2001/36. He argues that the use of DU in weapons, along with the other weapons listed by the Sub‑Commission, may breach one or more of the following treaties: the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the Charter of the United Nations, the Genocide Convention, the United Nations Convention Against Torture, the Geneva Conventions including Protocol I, the Convention on Conventional Weapons of 1980, and the Chemical Weapons Convention. Yeung Sik Yuen writes in Paragraph 133 under the title "Legal compliance of weapons containing DU as a new weapon":

Sep 10, 2009
Wtf are you supposed to do when you have to deal with these ****ing idiots?

Rand Paul:

Twelve years after we were attacked by Al Qaeda, 12 years after 3,000 Americans were killed by Al Qaeda, President Obama now asks us to be allies with Al Qaeda.
So really, killing bin Laden was just to get him out of the way so Obama could assume leadership of al Qaeda, I suppose.

Nov 8, 2012
VeloCity said:
Wtf are you supposed to do when you have to deal with these ****ing idiots?

So really, killing bin Laden was just to get him out of the way so Obama could assume leadership of al Qaeda, I suppose.
Maybe you should get on the bat-phone, call BO and let him know the Syrian rebels have zero ties to Al Qaida.

The Obama administration has started to rebrand Syria’s rebels by de-emphasizing the number of al Qaeda fighters among them — a move critics say is based on questionable intelligence designed to downplay the risks associated with a U.S. military strike on the regime of President Bashar Assad.

After two years of the Obama administration arguing that the Syrian rebellion was rife with fighters linked to al Qaeda, Secretary of State John F. Kerry said last week that Islamic extremists are marginal players in Syria’s civil war and are unlikely to profit much from a U.S. bombing campaign.
Three ring circus being run by the three stooges. But I'm sure your chest has swelled with pride.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/sep/9/obama-administration-now-downplays-al-qaedas-stren/?utm_source=RSS_Feed&utm_medium=RSS

Mar 4, 2010
Scott SoCal said:
Maybe you should get on the bat-phone, call BO and let him know the Syrian rebels have zero ties to Al Qaida.

The Obama administration has started to rebrand Syria’s rebels by de-emphasizing the number of al Qaeda fighters among them — a move critics say is based on questionable intelligence designed to downplay the risks associated with a U.S. military strike on the regime of President Bashar Assad.

After two years of the Obama administration arguing that the Syrian rebellion was rife with fighters linked to al Qaeda, Secretary of State John F. Kerry said last week that Islamic extremists are marginal players in Syria’s civil war and are unlikely to profit much from a U.S. bombing campaign.
Three ring circus being run by the three stooges. But I'm sure your chest has swelled with pride.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/sep/9/obama-administration-now-downplays-al-qaedas-stren/?utm_source=RSS_Feed&utm_medium=RSS
Kerry knows this because Elizabeth O'Bagy told him.

During the Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearing on Syria on September 3, Secretary of State John Kerry and Senator John McCain both cited a Wall Street Journal editorial by Elizabeth O’Bagy to support their assessment of the Syrian rebels as predominately “moderate,” and potentially Western-friendly.

“She works with the Institute of War,” Kerry said of O’Bagy. “She’s fluent in Arabic and spent an enormous amount of time studying the opposition and studying Syria. She just published this the other day. Very interesting [Wall Street Journal] article, which I commend to you.”

Kerry added, “I just don’t agree that a majority are al-Qaida and the bad guys.”

What Kerry and McCain neglected to mention was that O’Bagy had been recently hired as the political director of the Syrian Emergency Task Force (SETF), a little known outfit that functions as a lobbying arm of the Syrian opposition in Washington.
SETF is run by the architects of the Iraq war.

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?p=1333905#post1333905

O'Bagy even claimed moderates are empowered through KSA (Saudi) support. :eek:

https://twitter.com/snarwani/status/377536526965436416

Then she was fired for lying about her academic credentials.

https://twitter.com/AliAbunimah/status/377828464638046208

Kerry cites the most trustworthy sources, doesn't he? :rolleyes:

In other news; "the chief of staff of Germany's armed forces, General Volker Wieker, also told lawmakers the influence of al-Qaeda-linked forces within the rebels was becoming stronger and stronger."

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2013/9/8/german-intelligenceassaddidntapprovechemicalweaponattacks.html

Nov 8, 2012
Tyler'sTwin said:
Kerry knows this because Elizabeth O'Bagy told him.

SETF is run by the architects of the Iraq war.

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?p=1333905#post1333905

O'Bagy even claimed moderates are empowered through KSA (Saudi) support. :eek:

https://twitter.com/snarwani/status/377536526965436416

Then she was fired for lying about her academic credentials.

https://twitter.com/AliAbunimah/status/377828464638046208

Kerry cites the most trustworthy sources, doesn't he? :rolleyes:

In other news; "the chief of staff of Germany's armed forces, General Volker Wieker, also told lawmakers the influence of al-Qaeda-linked forces within the rebels was becoming stronger and stronger."

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2013/9/8/german-intelligenceassaddidntapprovechemicalweaponattacks.html

You have to understand Velo. The only way he's able to get out of bed everyday is to believe his political opponents are the scourge of the earth. In his mind, there is only one correct way: The Democrat Way.

All else is worthy of complete disdain as is demonstrated over and over and over.

Mar 10, 2009
RetroActive said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depleted_uranium
The requested UN working paper was delivered in 2002[41] by Y. K. J. Yeung Sik Yuen in accordance with Sub-Commission on the Promotion and Protection of Human Rights resolution 2001/36. He argues that the use of DU in weapons, along with the other weapons listed by the Sub‑Commission, may breach one or more of the following treaties: the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the Charter of the United Nations, the Genocide Convention, the United Nations Convention Against Torture, the Geneva Conventions including Protocol I, the Convention on Conventional Weapons of 1980, and the Chemical Weapons Convention. Yeung Sik Yuen writes in Paragraph 133 under the title "Legal compliance of weapons containing DU as a new weapon":
Here is the article you should have posted.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_Weapons_Convention
"Effective 29 April 1997"

Depleted Uranium(not a chemical weapon) is contained in the bullets we use, mainly from M-1(tanks) and and A-10 Warthogs(tank killing aircraft) and thier mighty 30mm gatling gun, just as an example.

Jan 27, 2013
mikeNphilly said:
Here is the article you should have posted.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_Weapons_Convention
"Effective 29 April 1997"

Depleted Uranium(not a chemical weapon) is contained in the bullets we use, mainly from M-1(tanks) and and A-10 Warthogs(tank killing aircraft) and thier mighty 30mm gatling gun, just as an example.
I thought you were pointing out how long it took for chemical weapons to be banned, started in '68 and ratified '97.

I suggest you read the article again, DU is not banned yet but look at the list of possible violations it may represent. Chemical weapons is among them, look at the chemical toxicity.

btw, the UN just reported today that they found no evidence (yet) of chemical weapons use in Syria.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS