U.S. Politics

Page 798 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
AH, this is of course the part I considered:

"In a few majority–black counties, the vote was surprisingly close. The predominantly black Delta went for the new flag, but not overwhelmingly."


And my provocation at the start was just a reaction to Jagar's post who stereotyped the South for erecting a statue of Calhoun... So the stupidity did not come from BigMac or me in the first place. However I didn't know then it would go to that extent. I mean the flag is a svastika but what the f*** ! :eek:
 
Well, the church events were/are tragic and the latest eruption of a particular strain of pathology that's been under construction for some 40 years, but I hope that won't dissuade all the hilly/billy supporters from wearing their 2008 Hillary confederate buttons with pride to put down the Jeb next year.
 
Jul 4, 2009
9,666
0
0
ray j willings said:
...given the overwhelming evidence gleaned from his past behaviour it is more correct to say the main reason Paul is a media shut out is that most of the time he is a blithering idiot ( and yes on occasion he stumbles onto something reasonable but then we also know that while a stopped clock is "right" twice a day you really wouldn't want to rely upon it for the correct time 24/7 )....

Cheers
 
Dec 7, 2010
8,773
1
0
blutto said:
ray j willings said:
...given the overwhelming evidence gleaned from his past behaviour it is more correct to say the main reason Paul is a media shut out is that most of the time he is a blithering idiot ( and yes on occasion he stumbles onto something reasonable but then we also know that while a stopped clock is "right" twice a day you really wouldn't want to rely upon it for the correct time 24/7 )....

Cheers
Funny how I brought up those 28 pages maybe over a year ago now or longer. That info is out there so it would be interesting to see what is in them.

But having this conspiracy case coming on here touting something Rand Paul Is asking for is a bit funny in my opinion.

Surprised he has not been locked up in a fema camp somewhere eating MRE's that were bought up before the food for patriots could get their hands on them.
 
Jul 9, 2009
7,026
0
0
“Our ancestors were literally fighting to keep human beings as slaves, and to continue the unimaginable acts that occur when someone is held against their will,” said state Sen. Paul Thurmond, a Republican, explaining that he would vote to remove the flag. “I am not proud of this heritage,” said Thurmond, the son of Strom Thurmond, the former governor and United States senator who was a segregationist candidate for president in 1948.
 
Yeah, I noticed my inbox was filling up with complaints. Time to take out the combine and start deleting posts again. Sigh.

Not enough time to respond in full. I have a full time job, a relationship, and a bike to ride more. I expect the same of the rest of you. Well, the bike part at least.
 
Re: Re:

Amsterhammer said:
The Independent is a perfectly acceptable source. This is the relevant section of the article you linked to -

How you have managed to distort the above to mean, "a huge part of the Black population wished to keep the flag", or that even a "strong minority in the Delta" did, is utterly beyond me.
In a lightning flash, I thought I had to make my coming-out because I note that my discourse is being recuperated by two guys who by no means have the same ideas and objectives as I do.

So yeah, Black Mississippians probably voted for the new flag in their majority (but I don't think unanimously).

The War between the States/Civil War was partly due to slavery but I'm convinced it was also the case of an industrial capitalist bourgeoisie wishing to keep its privileges against the landowning class. The traditional clash between the old ruling class and the new one. Food for thought, I think.

I'm not xenophobic but I don't think the two others are either. It's a misconception to think so. They are philosophically left-wing, only a new kind of left. The 60's left - The Charlies - brought up a hedonistic way of life, the hippie generation and liberal campus revolts, against a supposed tyrannical theocracy and, in the meantime, opening up some new market for the entertainment business and such, which would be impossible in the old traditional society based on saving. But also some kind of xenophilia and welcomed new migrants. I personally have nothing against new migrants since they participated in the richness of my country, for sure, but the New Left - represented by you know whom on this forum - realised that xenophilia was a mistake by the Old Left since at least in Europe but also in the US, these migrants are Arabic or Turkish and most of them have kept some form of spirituality within the Islamic faith and are bringing back some form of transcendency in our sterile and frivolous society which they want to keep because it's their values. The Muslims are against gay marriage, drugs, etc.

The New Left is consistent to itself, except for the fact that they are trying to make us believe they are right-wingers, lol. Here, two posters are contradicting you on your xenophilia, which is the wrong approach in their opinion. They don't target black per se (even though some Black communities may still be very religious, though I don't know how that has evolved), they trash the Muslims via the Black American community because the Old Left's xenophilia whether towards the Black or the Arabs has led to the resurgence of some form of religious conservatism that they despise. But which is no problem for me, of course, on the contrary. I'm a reactionary right-winger, not a New left-winger.

It's some kind of a Freudian kill-the-father complex. I'm sorry to say. It took me a while to understand it. So now that I understand I suspend my pro-South support on this thread and I wish I hadn't started. :)
 
Oct 6, 2009
5,273
0
0
Alabama Gov. Bentley removes Confederate flags from Capitol grounds

On the order of Gov. Robert Bentley, the Confederate battle flag which stands at the foot of the confederate memorial on the state Capitol grounds was taken down this morning.

Two workers came out of the Capitol building about 8:20 a.m. and with no fanfare quickly and quietly took the flag down. They declined to answer questions.

Moments later Gov. Bentley emerged from the Capitol on his way to an appearance in Hackleburg. Asked if he had ordered the flag taken down, the governor said, "Yes I did."
http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2015/06/confederate_flag_removed_from.html
 
Re: Re:

Echoes said:
The War between the States/Civil War was partly due to slavery but I'm convinced it was also the case of an industrial capitalist bourgeoisie wishing to keep its privileges against the landowning class. The traditional clash between the old ruling class and the new one. Food for thought, I think...

The New Left is consistent to itself, except for the fact that they are trying to make us believe they are right-wingers, lol...

It's some kind of a Freudian kill-the-father complex. I'm sorry to say. It took me a while to understand it. So now that I understand I suspend my pro-South support on this thread and I wish I hadn't started. :)
Haven't agreed with you much on this topic, but I think you make the most sense here, to a degree. There can be no doubt that economics and control of wealth and power had a hand in the Civil War. But whlie that can be analyzed in numerous ways, it cannot be analyzed in any way without slavery being part of the equation.

Dead set correct on the so called "New Left". It rolled over and died with Mondale's candidacy.

One can defend the South. Heck, I'd even say Glenn and I have defended the South in this topic. But no one could, or should, defend it in light of some of the most horrific times and acts in our nation's history. Be that slavery, Jim Crow laws, or even some of the racist hatred that exists today, even if that only represents a small minority, and some idiotic, slippery-tongued politicians that manage to get elected from there.
 
Sep 10, 2009
5,663
0
0
Something that might interest you, Alpe:

http://qz.com/431198/this-is-not-a-typo-only-3-of-americans-are-legally-allowed-to-invest-in-start-ups/

More than 97% of Americans cannot invest in the latest startups, nor profit from their meteoric rises...Under US law, only “accredited investors” are legally allowed to invest and own a stake in a start-up.

So who are accredited investors?

An investor is accredited if he or she has a net worth of at least $1 million. That doesn’t count the value of their primary residence. Another way to become accredited is to have income of at least $200,000 each year for the last two years (or $300,000 together with a spouse) and expect to make the same amount in the current year.

So few Americans can meet these two ways of being accredited that, both legally and literally, any US crowdfunding investor must be part of an elite 3% of the population. And of that small group, only 300,000 individuals and 500 firms actually invest.These select few determine what is new and innovative, and thus what the remaining 97 percent want, need and will use. With such an elitist system, it goes without saying that Americans are missing out on the discovery and implementation of thousands of effective solutions.
 
Jun 15, 2009
8,530
0
0
"Something that might interest you, Alpe"

Not only him I guess.

I thought nothing can shock me anymore about the "land of the free". But it still can... And what does MSM & politicans do? Fighting about meanings of flags. Another shadow war to hide from real issues.
 
Dec 7, 2010
8,773
1
0
VeloCity said:
Something that might interest you, Alpe:

http://qz.com/431198/this-is-not-a-typo-only-3-of-americans-are-legally-allowed-to-invest-in-start-ups/

More than 97% of Americans cannot invest in the latest startups, nor profit from their meteoric rises...Under US law, only “accredited investors” are legally allowed to invest and own a stake in a start-up.

So who are accredited investors?

An investor is accredited if he or she has a net worth of at least $1 million. That doesn’t count the value of their primary residence. Another way to become accredited is to have income of at least $200,000 each year for the last two years (or $300,000 together with a spouse) and expect to make the same amount in the current year.

So few Americans can meet these two ways of being accredited that, both legally and literally, any US crowdfunding investor must be part of an elite 3% of the population. And of that small group, only 300,000 individuals and 500 firms actually invest.These select few determine what is new and innovative, and thus what the remaining 97 percent want, need and will use. With such an elitist system, it goes without saying that Americans are missing out on the discovery and implementation of thousands of effective solutions.
This explains why Crocs are on the market. :D
 
Sep 10, 2009
5,663
0
0
Re:

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
"Something that might interest you, Alpe"

Not only him I guess.

I thought nothing can shock me anymore about the "land of the free". But it still can... And what does MSM & politicans do? Fighting about meanings of flags. Another shadow war to hide from real issues.
Alpe posted something similar about the concentration of political power a while back.

There has never been a "free market" in the US.
 
Sep 10, 2009
5,663
0
0
Glenn_Wilson said:
VeloCity said:
Something that might interest you, Alpe:

http://qz.com/431198/this-is-not-a-typo-only-3-of-americans-are-legally-allowed-to-invest-in-start-ups/

More than 97% of Americans cannot invest in the latest startups, nor profit from their meteoric rises...Under US law, only “accredited investors” are legally allowed to invest and own a stake in a start-up.

So who are accredited investors?

An investor is accredited if he or she has a net worth of at least $1 million. That doesn’t count the value of their primary residence. Another way to become accredited is to have income of at least $200,000 each year for the last two years (or $300,000 together with a spouse) and expect to make the same amount in the current year.

So few Americans can meet these two ways of being accredited that, both legally and literally, any US crowdfunding investor must be part of an elite 3% of the population. And of that small group, only 300,000 individuals and 500 firms actually invest.These select few determine what is new and innovative, and thus what the remaining 97 percent want, need and will use. With such an elitist system, it goes without saying that Americans are missing out on the discovery and implementation of thousands of effective solutions.
This explains why Crocs are on the market. :D
Explained by the fact that ~75% of the accredited are old white guys who wear socks with sandals ;)
 
Sep 10, 2009
5,663
0
0
Jun 15, 2009
8,530
0
0
Re: Re:

VeloCity said:
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
"Something that might interest you, Alpe"

Not only him I guess.

I thought nothing can shock me anymore about the "land of the free". But it still can... And what does MSM & politicans do? Fighting about meanings of flags. Another shadow war to hide from real issues.
Alpe posted something similar about the concentration of political power a while back.

There has never been a "free market" in the US.
But I guess it was never as bad as it is now. And the rich (going-hand-in-hand with govt > confer to Naomi Klein) cement their power more and more in each and every aspect of life (that includes the law with what I wanted to say with my now infamous "FEMA-EOs-posts"). Their greed knows no borders. And there is no way out of it to change to a better... The Gini coefficient is higher In the USA than for example in Russia :eek: Who would have thought?
 
Jul 9, 2009
7,026
0
0
Re: Re:

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
VeloCity said:
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
"Something that might interest you, Alpe"

Not only him I guess.

I thought nothing can shock me anymore about the "land of the free". But it still can... And what does MSM & politicans do? Fighting about meanings of flags. Another shadow war to hide from real issues.
Alpe posted something similar about the concentration of political power a while back.

There has never been a "free market" in the US.
But I guess it was never as bad as it is now. And the rich (going-hand-in-hand with govt > confer to Naomi Klein) cement their power more and more in each and every aspect of life (that includes the law with what I wanted to say with my now infamous "FEMA-EOs-posts"). Their greed knows no borders. And there is no way out of it to change to a better. The Gini coefficient is higher In the USA than for example in Russia :eek: Who would have thought?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eric-zuesse/us-is-now-the-most-unequa_b_4408647.html
Well almost, but Russia is still ahead by a nose at the last time check. :rolleyes:
The broadest mathematical measure of wealth-inequality is called "Gini," and the higher it is, the more extreme the nation's wealth-inequality is. The Gini for the U.S. is 85.1. Other extremely unequal countries are (pages 98-101 of this report) Chile 81.4, India 81.3, Indonesia 82.8, and South Africa 83.6. However, some nations are even more-extreme than the U.S.: Kazakhstan 86.7, Russia 93.1, and Ukraine 90.0. But Honduras and Guatemala are such rabid kleptocracies that their governments don't even provide sufficiently reliable data for an estimate to be able to be made; and, so, some countries might be even higher than nations like Russia.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MarieDGarzai Non-Cycling Discussions 2
Similar threads
The Politics of Sport

ASK THE COMMUNITY