U.S. Politics

Page 830 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 7, 2010
Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Excellent illustration. Anyone want to speculate what happened between 1985 and 1995?
Talk radio had a good deal of influence with people.

I never considered myself old until I noticed I had started listening to sports talk radio on AM. When I was a youngster and my father was unable to get out much before he died, he would listen to talk radio WWL in New Orleans and most of the programs on there were either sports SEC sports more specific and at late night was religion of some sort. Never ever political talk radio. I guess my point is that was the 70's and 80's to right about mid 80's.

When I returned home from the Marine Corps and was working a construction job, the fella's I worked with listened to Rush Limbaugh and I really had no clue about him except that he had been banned from AFRTS on US military bases. Then I listened to him while riding from one job to another with these co workers and it was hilarious at first and then I realized these guys were buying into every word the guy said.

I just heard Michael Savages pod cast from some years back and I have to agree with one of his quotes. "Liberalism is a mental disorder". I can see that by reading some of the radical Lib crap.

Nov 8, 2012
Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Then who does a scorched earth campaign benefit? Joe Biden may indeed be the answer to that.

Good post Scott. Don't always agree, but you are dead on.
Scorched earth... I really am pulling for the total exposure of the cartel-like cabals on both sides. It's not at all hard to see who is on the side of "business as usual." There was a motion or rule of order brought up yesterday in the house to throw out Boehner. So A handful of Rs are very publicly attacking their leadership.... So perhaps not every Washington pol is completely worthless after all.

As to Biden, yeah, it's probably a good time for him to get in.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/against-the-grain/joe-biden-s-political-moment-20150728

But my question would be this; how is a career Washington cartel politician (Biden) going to change anything? How is a dude that has been representative of the problem going to be motivated to change the culture once elected? He's just more of what's wrong.

Jul 4, 2009
Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Excellent illustration. Anyone want to speculate what happened between 1985 and 1995?
...the ascendance of, uhhh , right wing blather radio ?....

Cheers

I agree it was mostly the rise of right wing radio. Voting the 'wrong way' couldn't be swept up under the rug as easily. The number of red dots away from the herd completely disappears. Since 1995, almost all the dots that are in no man's land are blue.

Edit: As a biologist, the picture reminds me of mitosis. Chromosomes moving to different poles and the cell dividing in two.

Nov 8, 2012
Re: Re:

blutto said:
Alpe d'Huez said:

Cheers
Uhh, if that's true then maybe you should be asking 'what gave rise to it?'

See if you get a bit closer to the mark.

Nov 8, 2012
The first GOP debate, televised on August 6 on Fox News, is already a total backfire for the establishment. Based on the latest polls, it will likely include every single one of the candidates the Republican elite despises: Donald Trump, Mike Huckabee, Ben Carson and Ted Cruz—and banish to the losers’ consolation round exactly the types of candidates the establishment presumably wants to showcase: a female business leader, an Indian-American son of immigrants and the consensus-building governor of the crucial electoral state of Ohio.

The controlled, somber and oh-so-civilized process that the GOP promised its donors is now the biggest free-for-all in American political history. The blame for this, of course, is all being thrown in one direction.

Channeling their best William Shatner, GOP leaders everywhere are clenching their fists, looking skyward, and bellowing, “Trummmmmmp!”
Turns out, voters tend not to like it when their “betters” dictate who should and should not be deemed a serious contender for the highest office in the land.
Aaaaaand this truism applies to Hillary as well. Completely explains Bernie.

But there is a bigger issue at work. Donald Trump is, well, choose your metaphor: a bull in a China shop, a tempest in a teapot, Leslie Nielsen setting an apartment on fire, Kramer trying to host the Merv Griffin show in his apartment, Cersei handing over Kings Landing to a bunch of religious wackos wearing smelly bathrobes and branding weird symbols on their heads. Trump is offensive, impulsive, unmanageable, unpredictable and—he is, by the way, exactly the candidate the DC establishment deserves.

To many voters, rightly or wrongly, Trump is the antidote to years of Washington’s cynical, manufactured outrages, the petty punishments of those who deviated from the party line, its broken promises, meaningless “show votes,” careful, poll-tested politician speak and a multitude of backroom deals that have solved exactly zero of our nation’s problems. How deliciously humiliating it must be for the political pros of DC. The guy who somberly handed out goofy busywork assignments to people like Stephen Baldwin and the star of Sharknado on “Celebrity Apprentice” has just wandered in, delivered a few speeches off the top of his head and totally taken over the presidential race without breaking a sweat.

Unlike the DC crowd, Trump knows something about building “brands”—and for now at least he has one that sells. The business guy who can’t be bought. The iconoclast who won’t be controlled. The unrepentant loudmouth who will tell the Boehners and Pelosis and Putins and Kim Jong Uns of the world to stuff it. The quip machine—or insult generator if you prefer—who stands in sharp contrast to the dry, safe, meaningless drivel that passes for most political discourse today.
Because he is defiantly not a part of the political class, he is impervious to conventional political weaponry. In fact, the attitude of the DC class toward his candidacy—temper tantrums and bouts of monumental arrogance—is only making him stronger.
He’s been called a clown, a fraud, a pretender, a joke—implicitly insulting his supporters, which currently happen to be a not insignificant segment of the GOP electorate. A segment that could abandon the Republicans for a third party if Trump is ticked off enough to fund an independent campaign.
Bingo.

Should Trump fall, as most people expect, it will likely be at his own hand, not by the geniuses in Washington who don’t want some outsider messing up their playground.

They—the political press, the pundit class, the professional politicians—all but asked for a candidate like Donald Trump. And now they’ve got him. Enjoy the ride while it lasts. I certainly will.
Me too.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/07/trump-republican-establishment-120713.html?ml=m_pm#.Vbj393Ln_mK

Jul 4, 2009

Scott SoCal said:
blutto said:
Alpe d'Huez said:

Cheers
Uhh, if that's true then maybe you should be asking 'what gave rise to it?'

See if you get a bit closer to the mark.
....oh yeah the rise of the wrong wing economic model you are so fond of...

Cheers

Re:

Scott SoCal said:
I just don't see Ds excited. I don't see any declared Rs with even a fraction of the baggage Hillary has.

Time will tell but it's hard to deny her vulnerabilities.
Trump? Declared R.

Wishful thinking. She'll be the next POTUS. Emails and the such are a distraction from how poor the R field really is.

Trump is the gift that keeps on giving.

Mar 10, 2009

VeloCity said:
mikeNphilly said:
Just to add some facts...90% of guns involved in crime in Chicago, come from stores in Chicago, not neighboring areas. This surprised me when the Chief of Police in Chicago said it.
If you buy a gun from a pawn shop, you still need to have a background check done through the system.(As long as the background check people do their job, it seems.)
Not facts at all. http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/01/29/us/where-50000-guns-in-chicago-came-from.html?_r=0
Sorry, when I typed that I meant to say from Illinois, not neighboring areas. I had assumed most guns in Chicago were from other states, like the ones in NYC, or Philly. They come from the suburbs very close to Chicago, which your article shows, not sure how Chicago can prevent gun traffickers that basically drive 10 blocks and buy a gun and bring it back into the city and sell it on the street for profit. Course if people would stop shooting each other, that would also help...

Jun 22, 2009

There’s a notion that Donald Trump’s recent rise in Republican polls is a media-driven creation. That explanation isn’t entirely wrong, but it’s incomplete. It skims over the complex interactions between the media, the public and the candidates, which can produce booms and busts of attention. And it ignores how skilled trolls like Trump can exploit the process to their benefit.
Interesting Nate Silver article.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/donald-trump-is-the-worlds-greatest-troll/

Dec 7, 2010
Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
That chart gives some credence to my statement all along that the election, despite all the bustle, will be Hillary vs. Jeb.
glad you made your call before it comes down to the election.

I disagree but good to see someone step up and call it.

I said something about talk radio before but it got drowned out by the Lib's and Con's around here.

TO bad no one noticed that Yankee dentist shot that poor Lion. Lion is dead and people are mad. SNAFU.

Glenn_Wilson said:

TO bad no one noticed that Yankee dentist shot that poor Lion. Lion is dead and people are mad. SNAFU.
I did. I hope he gets extradited to Zimbabwe for all the crying the US does when they want a foreign prisoner.

Not convinced by the hysterical manifestations of indignation, though.

Oct 6, 2009
Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
That chart gives some credence to my statement all along that the election, despite all the bustle, will be Hillary vs. Jeb.
I still think Hillary loses the primary to Bernie. Hillary's peeps are more likely to answer the phone for pollsters than Bernie's. What's she going to do with Bill if she gets elected anyway? He's going to have to have a job. Also the services of several discreet call girls.

Glenn_Wilson said:
Alpe d'Huez said:
glad you made your call before it comes down to the election.

I disagree but good to see someone step up and call it.

I said something about talk radio before but it got drowned out by the Lib's and Con's around here.

Talk radio appears to have gone further to the right over the years. The Rush of the Clinton presidency doesn't seem like the same guy we have now (although to be fair, I don't hear him as much since the addiction coverup). Maybe some of this rightward turn is because the genre has grown, and there are more players competing for listeners, so each has to appear more outraged in order to keep the audience stirred up and tuning in. Savage definitely got a lot crazier. O'Reilly always seems to be selling stuff. Everybody's got a new book out all the time, something to sell. I cannot listen to Beck - he oozes phony self-righteousness. At least Limbaugh used to be funny.

There was a lot of money to be made going after Clinton. There was an audience, it was eager for the product, and now we're all segregated into our little news bubbles, from radio, internet, TV. Americans can each have the reality we prefer, and find sources to stroke our biases.

As long as we're on the subject of talk radio, the Talkmaster, with Boo Got Shot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SK6_Di_3O0

Mar 17, 2009

Glenn_Wilson said:
Alpe d'Huez said:
Talk radio had a good deal of influence with people.

I never considered myself old until I noticed I had started listening to sports talk radio on AM. When I was a youngster and my father was unable to get out much before he died, he would listen to talk radio WWL in New Orleans and most of the programs on there were either sports SEC sports more specific and at late night was religion of some sort. Never ever political talk radio. I guess my point is that was the 70's and 80's to right about mid 80's.

When I returned home from the Marine Corps and was working a construction job, the fella's I worked with listened to Rush Limbaugh and I really had no clue about him except that he had been banned from AFRTS on US military bases. Then I listened to him while riding from one job to another with these co workers and it was hilarious at first and then I realized these guys were buying into every word the guy said.

I just heard Michael Savages pod cast from some years back and I have to agree with one of his quotes. "Liberalism is a mental disorder". I can see that by reading some of the radical Lib crap.
Like you, the first time I heard rush was shortly after I got out of the army. I was shocked at the change in people I knew in just 4 years. When I went in most of them were still smoking dope all the time, 4 years later they were listening to rush. I thought it was a standup routine when I first heard him

Oct 6, 2009
Cancer connection? Guantánamo lawyers anxious about ill colleagues, 3 deaths

The Miami Herald learned of the complaint to the Inspector General and had begun compiling a list of cancer cases among the hundreds of people who had worked at Camp Justice since the tent city and adjacent trailer park opened in 2008.

It found nine individuals who suffered from a range of cancers: lymphoma, brain, appendix or colon.

Three of those stricken with cancer, aged 35 to 52, have died in the past 13 months. Kuebler, the most recent to die, defended Canadian captive Omar Khadr at the base from 2007 to 2009, including pretrial hearings at the compound’s Courtroom 1, a once-abandoned building on a Camp Justice hillside.

Attorneys who have worked at the crude compound rife with posted warnings against drinking the water have long been concerned about health conditions there. It is built atop an abandoned airstrip and includes buildings that were closed down before the Pentagon set up the detention center in 2002.
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/guantanamo/article29078806.html

If the Navy personnel are getting sick, shouldn't the prisoners be dying first, since they've been there the longest, and don't get to go home for time off like staff do?

Jul 9, 2009

Code:
Scott SoCal said:
Alpe d'Huez said:
Robert Bork confirmation hearings, 1987. Ted Kennedy single-handedly killed political civility.
I had no idea the Tedster wielded that kind of power over you guys. :rolleyes:

BigMac said:
Glenn_Wilson said:

I did. I hope he gets extradited to Zimbabwe for all the crying the US does when they want a foreign prisoner.

Well, yeah, in terms of his purism of the "noble" sport of hunting and tendency to not carry a firearm in case he can't make the kill, it would be interesting to drop him in any foreign wilds with no guides, jeeps or rifles and nothing but a compound bow--maybe ziptie a fresh kill to one arm and his back.

On the other hand, some of those getting worked up about this probably haven't been boycotting Chinese embassies, and almost certainly are proportionately not bothered by industrial slaughter practices and animal production--but a few might recoil and benefit from accounts of the tunafish kill zones in Italy. As a start.

Some American children don't know that their "meat" comes from animals. But that shouldn't slow down the American election pundits in their priorities--a year plus out of the gate.

aphronesis said:
BigMac said:
Glenn_Wilson said:

Well, yeah, in terms of his purism of the "noble" sport of hunting and tendency to not carry a firearm in case he can't make the kill, it would be interesting to drop him in any foreign wilds with no guides, jeeps or rifles and nothing but a compound bow--maybe ziptie a fresh kill to one arm and his back.

On the other hand, some of those getting worked up about this probably haven't been boycotting Chinese embassies, and almost certainly are proportionately not bothered by industrial slaughter practices and animal production--but a few might recoil and benefit from accounts of the tunafish kill zones in Italy. As a start.

Some American children don't know that their "meat" comes from animals. But that shouldn't slow down the American election pundits in their priorities--a year plus out of the gate.
Big Difference, killing for food and killing for fun. Yes, a lot of slaugherhouses are really grim but this idiot killed a pet, then skinned and be-headed him. The Chinese, backward people, a lot of them.

Re:

VeloCity said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF9Jrc6vjtY&feature=youtu.be

Cheesy, but that one of them could be president is indeed damn scary.
"There's snow and ice everywhere"-Cruz, kinda like, "I can see Russia from my house". You can whine all ya want about Hillary but in comparison, these knuckleheads are just that PLUS, they still, while trying to not piss off their uber conservative 'base'(shrinking), have alienated whole chunks of US electorate-women, minorities, gays and just about any middle of the road, 'progressive', non-aligned, voter-like me.

Nov 8, 2012

Bustedknuckle said:
VeloCity said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF9Jrc6vjtY&feature=youtu.be

Cheesy, but that one of them could be president is indeed damn scary.
"There's snow and ice everywhere"-Cruz, kinda like, "I can see Russia from my house". You can whine all ya want about Hillary but in comparison, these knuckleheads are just that PLUS, they still, while trying to not piss off their uber conservative 'base'(shrinking), have alienated whole chunks of US electorate-women, minorities, gays and just about any middle of the road, 'progressive', non-aligned, voter-like me.
Sure. But why is Hillary polling so badly?

http://time.com/3977941/hillary-clinton-poll-trump/

Don't just tell me "it's early."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MarieDGarzai Non-Cycling Discussions 2