• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

U23 races and talents

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

DNP-Old said:
Stannard at 3:22. His GC race is over.

No surprise at all - Stannard is a classics type rider as opposed to a climber - Mitchelton Bike Exchange/Under 23's don't have a quality climber this year unless they bring over Alexander Evans who can climb but not much else - Nothing wrong with going for stages.

Re: Re:

capuldemetal said:
Ruudz0r said:
capuldemetal said:
saenz continues to impress.12th today,32 seconds back.and this guy is in his first year in europe.chapeau.

He isnt in his first year in EUrope, he was riding half the year in Europe last year and also rode in Spain while he was a junior
thx.didn't kmow.

Indeed, he's been racing in Spain every year since at least 2015. And I think las two years he's living in Spain.
However, it's a remarkable performance, as it's his debut at european level.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I also find it hard to rate the quality of the field.
Nice showing by João Almeida, the guy seems to be a huge talent, he was already impressive last year when he rode for Unieuro, who haven't been invited, mainly because they are now racing with a Bulgarian license as Trevigiani Phonix - Hemus 1896.

Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
I though this was supposed to be a relatively modest crop of new Colombian talents? It doesn’t seem like it.
Bagioli, Innocenti, Hirschi, Errazkin, Paret-Peintre, Leknessund, and Pogacar ain't here. Those are considered to be amongst the best prospect of this class.

For some, this Giro is a great stepping stone to perhaps a contract in Europe (Matxin has been all over the Colombian NT), but the results don't tell the whole story. Later on in the year, when all the best U23's gather together in l'Avenir, I don't think anyone, apart from Williams, who is doing well here will be at the top of the rankings. That's without including the U23's who already have a pro contract and could very well go on and dominate l'Avenir and the Worlds.

Edit: U23 is perhaps a better wording than prospect, as I don't see all that much in Paret-Peintre. Hasn't gotten that much better in the past four seasons.

Talking about the U23 WC, they are going to be completely ***. Here's a list of pro's who have a realistic chance of riding the U23 Worlds: Egan Bernal, Dani Martinez, Ivan Sosa, David Gaudu, Valentin Madouas, Bjorg Lambrecht, Harm Vanhoucke, Steff Cras, Lucas Hamilton, Michael Storer, Jai Hindley, James Knox, Jhonatan Narvaez, Nicola Conci, Neilson Powless, Brandon McNulty, Pavel Sivakov, Mark Padun, Yevgeniy Gidich, Edward Dunbar.

Race over for any non-pro U23 lmao.

A couple of points (sorry in advance for the long post ;) ):

1. Williams has been good in the GC races so far, but honestly I fear he may not even be picked by the British National Team for l'Avenir, what with him riding abroad and not being anything to do with British Cycling. It would be a shame, but with Isard wins and any sort of top 5 GC here (which for now it looks like it will be the least he can get here), he should be fine for a pro deal of some sort, even if he isn't picked for the remaining races by GB. With regards to him being the only name here to be close in l'Avenir, I think Barta and Almeida can be there, although it depends how much HBA uses them in the upcoming US stage races. Barta will work for McNulty, but I think both can maybe top ten in France. All depends on freshness/form/team orders.

2. I think Zinoniev was referring more the current class of Colombians being considered mediocre, rather than the Giro field, although DNP is correct that the field is not exactly amazing in terms of GC contenders (filled with a lot of 1998/1999 guys or the 1996 riders looking for one last show to secure a pro deal).

3. Imo (and I have previously admitted to knowing little about the racing scene in South America, so this is really just an opinion, no facts) this 6 man Colombian team is probably considered mediocre by their standards. 3 riders are in their final year as U23, so should be stronger. Rubio and Osorio are young (1998) and will hopefully stay one more season U23 to develop. They could be nice pros. But I feel reading a lot of posts on this thread that this class contains no superstars. Would Pantano/Darwin be a comp for someone like Rubio or Osorio?

4. The Colombian tactics confused me a little today. Cristian Munoz, who a lot of people in the know on this forum said would be the team's best GC bet pre-race, infiltrated the day's break. Rubio and two others caught him on final climb, and then Williams. He finished still finished 4th. Despite moving up to 4th overall from 7th, he actually is one second further back on Pink than he was at the start of the day. He clearly had good legs, so why not have left him in the bunch to try and track Williams, and send Rubio or Dani Munoz in the break? Both were high on GC (not as high as Cristian was, admittedly) but were probably not as strong as Cris was. Now, the team has lost Osorio's jersey, and Dani Munoz has lost almost 1min to Williams. Osorio looked to struggle today and is 13 secs down, Cristian is 24 down and despite winning, Rubio is 36secs down. None of these guys are by any means out of the race, but why did they try and almost attempt a coup from Cristian on their own Pink Jersey, when they could maybe have stayed calm in the bunch and tried to follow Williams, or maybe even repeat the 1-2 of the previous day's climb? plus, despite gaining time on some GC contenders (and for sure they spent less energy than Cristian did today), the only names they really shook overall were Covi and Wildauer, who were not really major GC threats anyway. I don't think they are worse off overall than they were at the start of this stage, but for all that effort, I do not think they are better off either. Would love to hear some opinions on this.

Re:

JoeD1997 said:
A couple of points (sorry in advance for the long post ;) ):

1. Williams has been good in the GC races so far, but honestly I fear he may not even be picked by the British National Team for l'Avenir, what with him riding abroad and not being anything to do with British Cycling.
I don't think that will be a problem. A lot of riders who have done TdlA with GB recently haven't formally been with British Cycling. They don't have the Academy that they did back in Cavendish/Thomas's day.

STAGE:
1. Sean Bennet (Axeon) 2:32:52
2. Rob Stannard (Mitchelton) +s.t
3. Mark Donovan (Wiggins) +1
4. Alejandro Osorio (Colombia) +4
5 The Bunch +2:25

NEW GC:
1. Osorio
2. Donovan +39
3. Stevie Williams (SEG) +2:14
4. Yuriy Natarov (Astana) +2:37
5. Crisitan Munoz (Colombia) +2:38

Re:

JoeD1997 said:
4. The Colombian tactics confused me a little today. Cristian Munoz, who a lot of people in the know on this forum said would be the team's best GC bet pre-race, infiltrated the day's break. Rubio and two others caught him on final climb, and then Williams.
The DS is Jaramillo and he knows jack $hit about tactics.
Osorio is in pink now.... Don't be surprised if Millo sends some guys on the BOD tomorrow