U23 races and talents

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sure, the parcours is super-biased, but look at the geography of the Valle d'Aosta. It's actually kinda difficult for them to not just be all mountains all the time. Along with the small team sizes, it's part of the race's character. I love the region, so even if the race is disappointing due to climbers having no deficits to make up and the parcours biased (hey, we've had editions with 3 mountain stages, 2 hilly/intermediate stages and an MTT before), the scenery will still be glorious.
 
As expected total carnage on the Piani di Tavagnasco. Klein Constantia dominated with Schachmann winning from the break and Mas being the best of the favorites.

1. Schachmann (break)
2. Sivakov (break)
3. Rodriguez (break)
4. Mas
5. Frankiny
6. Aguirre
7. Padun
8. Reyes
9. Foss
10. Riabushenko
11. Lambrecht
12. Vanhoucke
13. Vereecken
14. Lafaye
15. Freiberger
16. Knox
 
Mar 13, 2015
66
0
0
Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
Whoa, Ravasi capitulation! Was he perhaps doing a lot of chasing to keep the break in check for Padun, or is he just not in good form?
He didn't feel well:

“Siamo riusciti a tenere la maglia. Sono stati molto bravi i ragazzi perché oggi era la tappa più pericolosa. Siamo stati anche un po’ sfortunati perché Lizde e Ravasi non stavano molto bene. Ma tutti hanno stretto i denti, hanno svolto il loro lavoro e alla fine ce l’abbiamo fatta”, è stato il commento del direttore sportivo Gianluca Valoti.
 
Frankiny overtook Mas in the last km.
Really big gaps between the favorites.

1. Frankiny
2. Mas 20"
3. Aguirre 1'10
4. Reyes 1'50
5. Ravasi 2'35
6. Higuita 3'
7. Lambrecht 3'
8. Lapaye
9. Foss 4'20
10. Padun 4'30

Results aren't official.
Frankiny is the new leader.
 
Aguirre coming back to life, which is a huge positive. He's lightyears ahead of Reyes in terms of pure talent. Unfortunately, talent alone isn't enough. Hope he gets it together on a consistent basis. Higuita also putting in work, despite his very young age.

Anyone care to tell me what sort of race Volta do Futuro is? Since Miguel Florez seems to be doing pretty good and is finally confirming, along with his BRC teammates.
 
Re:

DNP-Old said:
Anyone care to tell me what sort of race Volta do Futuro is? Since Miguel Florez seems to be doing pretty good and is finally confirming, along with his BRC teammates.
Thanks to UCI's neverending wisdom this month's sole U23 stage races take place at exactly the same time. Boyaca faces there only the (weak) Portuguese and Spanish U23 scene and dominates on today's hilly stage.
 
Aug 16, 2013
7,619
0
0
Re:

DNP-Old said:
Aguirre coming back to life, which is a huge positive. He's lightyears ahead of Reyes in terms of pure talent. Unfortunately, talent alone isn't enough. Hope he gets it together on a consistent basis. Higuita also putting in work, despite his very young age.

Anyone care to tell me what sort of race Volta do Futuro is? Since Miguel Florez seems to be doing pretty good and is finally confirming, along with his BRC teammates.
Aguirre, Reyes and Higuita can make an impression in the WT in a couple of years.

Colombia's future remain bright, with also Florez shining in the Volta a Portugal do Futuro :)
 
What a great rider he looks to be, Enric Mas. Great climber, not a shabby tt'er (judging by his Tour de Savoie win) and he seems to have a good finish on him too. If he can keep this up he looks like a future GT prospect judging by his allround ability.
 
Re:

Bushman said:
What a great rider he looks to be, Enric Mas. Great climber, not a shabby tt'er (judging by his Tour de Savoie win) and he seems to have a good finish on him too. If he can keep this up he looks like a future GT prospect judging by his allround ability.
Jep, if EQS wants him, they need to act quickly because other teams will line up after this new great performance. Not that he's a bad TT'er, but the Savoie TT isn't the best reference cause it was a very hilly parcours with some steep sections.

I think he will be the first (former) rider of the Contador team that can make it to the pros an do something there in a few years.
 
Re: Re:

Samamba said:
Bushman said:
What a great rider he looks to be, Enric Mas. Great climber, not a shabby tt'er (judging by his Tour de Savoie win) and he seems to have a good finish on him too. If he can keep this up he looks like a future GT prospect judging by his allround ability.
Jep, if EQS wants him, they need to act quickly because other teams will line up after this new great performance. Not that he's a bad TT'er, but the Savoie TT isn't the best reference cause it was a very hilly parcours with some steep sections.

I think he will be the first (former) rider of the Contador team that can make it to the pros an do something there in a few years.
Sounds like a description of a young Contador himself.
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
1
0
Re:

Samamba said:
Finish:

1 & 2 for Colpack: Ravasi and Padun.
3. Mas
4. Frankiny

Frankiny wins the GC!
2. Mas 8"
3. Padun 11"
Wow, so the gc was really decided by the TTT, Colpack are probably shouldn't have let Ganna ride the Track U23 EC right now, but who knows, if the gap was smaller it would have totally changed the dynamic of the race on stage 2.
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
1
0
Re:

Bye Bye Bicycle said:
You do realize that Filippo Ganna just rode one of the most remarkable IP performances in history?

The TTT had no influence on the GC here at all.
Of course, wasn't it the all time 4th or 5th best IP performance?
The whole team lost over 1min to the race winners team, so it had an influence.
You can argue that Padun wouldn't have been allowed to attack on stage 2 if the gap was smaller, that could have totally changed the dynamic of the whole race, but everyone probably thought that Ravasi was their team leader, so who really knows.
 
Re: Re:

Samamba said:
Bushman said:
What a great rider he looks to be, Enric Mas. Great climber, not a shabby tt'er (judging by his Tour de Savoie win) and he seems to have a good finish on him too. If he can keep this up he looks like a future GT prospect judging by his allround ability.
Jep, if EQS wants him, they need to act quickly because other teams will line up after this new great performance.
EQS signed him.
Gonna keep my eye on him. I think he can be big one day.
 
Mar 31, 2010
18,136
2
0
Re:

DNP-Old said:
Colombia for Tour de l'Avenir: Egan Bernal, Daniel Martínez, Jhon Rodríguez, Miguel Flórez, Wilmar Paredes y Iván Sosa
what a weird selection. obviously federation still hates postobon and saldarriaga, although that is understandable
 
Bernal surely must be the top favourite for the race, no? With Mas as his main threat and then the likes of Geoghegan Hart, Frankiny, Lambrecht and Schackmann and a couple of French guys there trying to spoil the party.

Will Powless go from US team? Would be interesting to see him there
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS