• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

U23 races and talents

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Max Rockatansky said:
yaco said:
The Baby Giro from June 9 to June 15 may rival the L'Avenir as the premier stage races for the under 23's - There will be lots of talent on display.

The foreign teams will be...

SEG Racing
Team Felbermayr Simplon Wels
Team Wiggins
Axeon – Hagens Berman
Gazprom Rusvelo
Team Unieuro
Mitchelton Scott
BMC Development
Lotto Soudal U23
Dimension Data for Qhubeka
Cycling New Zealand
Colombia

Baby Giro shares the date with Tour de Savoie Mont Blanc (with BMC Devo, Lotto also being there). So Lotto might seperate their two top talents. They also invited Androni and Fortuneo. And those guys put the whole Iseran climb into stage 1. :D The Tour hasn't done it from Bourg-Saint-Maurice since 1992.

Both Lambrecht & Vanhoucke are scheduled to ride the Tour de Savoie, so I don't know what Lotto is going to do in the Baby Giro. And I don't know what Bernal is going to do. In one interview I read that he was riding the Giro, and another article said he was going to ride Savoie. And from BMC Sivakov is riding the Baby Giro (also Peace race as of now so his schedule is pretty hard), Cras is riding Savoie. The organizers of the Tour de Savoie won't be happy though, as they're losing a lot of quality riders due to the Baby Giro.

Max Rockatansky said:
Sivakov in beast mode today, just rode away at 50 kilometers to go and brought it home.

Young portuguese talent João Almeida won the final stage of Tour of Ukraine in Kiev.

This kid seems to be very good for an 18 year old racing pros.

Apparently he attacked 30km out yesterday and was caught and today he attacked again and managed to just barely hold the peloton off.

Yeah, the hardest stage. It's the peace race with a new name and part of the Nations Cup. Lambrecht first, second Eg, third Vanhoucke and fourth Schlegel, strangely there straight from the Giro d'Italia. While the other three should be familiar to most Eg is a promising return to a high level after injuries ruined his first two and half years as u23.

Max Rockatansky said:
Bjorg Lambrecht strikes again. He won the queen stage of Grand Prix Priessnitz and took over the race lead.

Not really a surprise. It would be a pretty big fail from the Belgian team if they didn't win this with Cras, Vanhoucke & Lambrecht all there and the lack of other big names due to the Giro starting in a few days.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Samamba said:
Max Rockatansky said:
Bjorg Lambrecht strikes again. He won the queen stage of Grand Prix Priessnitz and took over the race lead.

Not really a surprise. It would be a pretty big fail from the Belgian team if they didn't win this with Cras, Vanhoucke & Lambrecht all there and the lack of other big names due to the Giro starting in a few days.
There was more to it than result says. Schlegel showed contador-ish attack. He attacked from far out at the foot of first (big) climb and made easily big advantage, two minutes. Peloton chased him, slowly thinning down to last four, Cras eventually didn't quite make it, rest caught Schlegel before finish with only Lambrecht was able to put some seconds to him. Shame Schlegel didn't won, he'd deserve it certainly, showed some courage and almost beat strong Belgian team on his own.

Kokoso said:
Samamba said:
Max Rockatansky said:

There was more to it than result says. Schlegel showed contador-ish attack. He attacked from far out at the foot of first (big) climb and made easily big advantage, two minutes. Peloton chased him, slowly thinning down to last four, Cras eventually didn't quite make it, rest caught Schlegel before finish with only Lambrecht was able to put some seconds to him. Shame Schlegel didn't won, he'd deserve it certainly, showed some courage and almost beat strong Belgian team on his own.

But that's just proving my point here. The Belgian team here is just way too strong. Without one of those 3, Schlegel would have probably made it.

On another note, interesting to see that Lambrecht rode 24" faster than Gaudu last year. I know it's not entirely comparable (we can't compare the conditions on the road), but as far as profiles last years stage wasn't harder. This years stage was 140km with 2 times the Dlouhe Strane climb and last years stage was only 120km and they only did Dlouhe Strane once.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Samamba said:
Kokoso said:
Samamba said:
Max Rockatansky said:

But that's just proving my point here. The Belgian team here is just way too strong. Without one of those 3, Schlegel would have probably made it.

On another note, interesting to see that Lambrecht rode 24" faster than Gaudu last year. I know it's not entirely comparable (we can't compare the conditions on the road), but as far as profiles last years stage wasn't harder. This years stage was 140km with 2 times the Dlouhe Strane climb and last years stage was only 120km and they only did Dlouhe Strane once.
I wasn't arguing your point. My goal was different.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Závod míru is over, Lambrecht won, chapeau. Schlegel second overall and second polka dot. Only on his own almost overpowered strong Belgian team. Shame he didn't make it yesterday by little margin, overall win would suit him nicely for his effort. But that's a life I guess. He's improved since last year by noticeable margin.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

DNP-Old said:
http://www.giroditaliau23.it/2017/06/05/ecco-lelenco-completo-degli-atleti-iscritti/
The Mitchelton Scott squad is crazy strong, same as the Axelbots.
Overall it's a pretty interesting field.
Edit: Here's the route of the returning Baby Giro:
giro-italia-u23-2017.jpg

Stage 1: Imola-Imola; 132.2km
Stage 2: Castellarano – San Valentino di Castellarano; 145.8km (uphill finish)
Stage 3: Bagnara di Romagna – Forlì; 140.5km
Stage 4: Forlì – Gabicce Mare; 155.5km
Stage 5a: Segnigallia – Osimo; 87.2km (uphill finish)
Stage 5b: Campocavallo – Campocavallo ITT; 14km
Stage 6: Francavilla al Mare – Casalincontrada; 132.2km (hilly stage with a finish on a murito)
Stage 7: Francavilla al Mare – Campo Imperatore; 148.9km (MTF)

The Maglia Nera is also making a comeback.

Source: http://www.bicitv.it/ecco-il-giro-d...tte-tappe-alla-scoperta-dei-giovani-campioni/

Definitely a very strong field in GiroU23

***Costa, Hindley
**Sivakov, Storer, Narvaez
*Padun, Knox, Hamilton, Powless, Riabushenko, Cherkasov, other names i'm not thinking off.

I'm not good at rating the Columbians vs. the guys above, but they will be there too (Martinez, Chavez, Munoz?)

Based on the provisional startlist for the Tour de Savoie, they're really hurting due to GiroU23 being on the same date. This years field weak af compared to last years field and the Giro's field.

***Lambrecht, Bouet, Kvasina
**Vanhoucke, Cras, Rochas, Hardy
*Sosa, Lafay, Torres, Papillon, Defaye, Castellarneau, Eibegger

Tbh, I don't know a lot of names on the startlist and I have difficulties rating the older (ex-)pros vs. the young guns.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
The one Italian guy who could surprise people is probably Matteo Fabbro, but he's coming back from an injury, he crashed out of the Vuelta de la Juventud, so I don't really know if he's in shape, maybe he's just riding into shape for Aosta.
Palazzago have also said before that Riabushenko's big goal is Aosta, but who knows, the guy is really consistent and one hell of a rider.
Unieuro could also surprise people, they've got a strong, pretty international squad, but Mitchelton Scott and the Axelbots are crazy strong, almost too much firepower.

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
The one Italian guy who could surprise people is probably Matteo Fabbro, but he's coming back from an injury, he crashed out of the Vuelta de la Juventud, so I don't really know if he's in shape

Nicola Conci (also recently returned after injury) and Allessandro Fedeli might be other Italian bets

Re: Re:

Ruvu75 said:
Mayomaniac said:
The one Italian guy who could surprise people is probably Matteo Fabbro, but he's coming back from an injury, he crashed out of the Vuelta de la Juventud, so I don't really know if he's in shape

Nicola Conci (also recently returned after injury) and Allessandro Fedeli might be other Italian bets

Isn't Conci more like a puncher/pretty fast guy who can climb?

But definitely has a chance to win a stage here.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
According the coach of the the Italian U23 NT Marino Amadori Fabbro and Conci would probably be the best Italian stage racers who are entering the race, but because of their injuries their form is a bit of a question mark.
Speaking of young Italians, is there a reason why Colpack didn't bring Carboni to the race?

TRENDING THREADS