• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

U23 races and talents

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sivakov is the first rider ever to win Ronde de l'Isard and the Baby Giro in one year. He's on course to add the Giro Valle d'Aosta on top - that's an immense feat. No other U23 racer even comes close to his consistency in big U23 stage races this year.

Hard to compare with Bernal, who rode a totally different schedule mainly within pro pelotons.

Re:

Bye Bye Bicycle said:
Sivakov is the first rider ever to win Ronde de l'Isard and the Baby Giro in one year. He's on course to add the Giro Valle d'Aosta on top - that's an immense feat. No other U23 racer even comes close to his consistency in big U23 stage races this year.

Hard to compare with Bernal, who rode a totally different schedule mainly within pro pelotons.
I know that, but Bernal went toe to toe with some of the world's best in Tirreno, which basically overrules anything Sivakov has done.

Re: Re:

the asian said:
I believe Cras is at Lotto.

Sivakov certainly surprises me. I thought the high mountans will be too tough for him and he'll be a hilly calssics rider but Aosta nd the Baby Giro has shown that he can clim with the best.

Very versatile rider!
Cras back to Lotto would be weird, he has been promoting BMC at his/my local bike store and I don't think he wants to share leadership (or even work for) with Lambrecht and Vanhoucke.

Samamba said:
Cordi333 said:
Samamba said:
Don't think he'll be able to win Avenir with Bernal targeting the win there, but he won't be far off.

Why? Sivakov has a way better season than Bernal. I think the main favourite is the russian. Then later, Bernal, Lambrecht, the australians, maybe Padun, maybe any professional from WT...

Naa, Bernal is the better climber imo. No TT so if Bernal has the form he should be able to win it.

"Way better season"
Based on what? Bernal isn't racing a normal u23 year, so it's hard to compare.

Yes, it's true, Bernal is in a pro team and supposedly is the best u23 climber, but Sivakov is a damn consistent rider. By other way, I didn't known that there's no TT in this year Avenir, and yes, that benefies Bernal.

Cordi333 said:
luckyboy said:
Will be so great to see Sivakov and Bernal at Sky :Neutral:

Sivakov is in the BMC Development Team. So I don't think so.

The rumor does exist though.
Asked about that Sky rumor Sivakov said that he has a lot of options and hasn't signed anywhere yet.

Cordi333 said:
Samamba said:
Cordi333 said:
Samamba said:
Don't think he'll be able to win Avenir with Bernal targeting the win there, but he won't be far off.

Why? Sivakov has a way better season than Bernal. I think the main favourite is the russian. Then later, Bernal, Lambrecht, the australians, maybe Padun, maybe any professional from WT...

Naa, Bernal is the better climber imo. No TT so if Bernal has the form he should be able to win it.

"Way better season"
Based on what? Bernal isn't racing a normal u23 year, so it's hard to compare.

Yes, it's true, Bernal is in a pro team and supposedly is the best u23 climber, but Sivakov is a damn consistent rider. By other way, I didn't known that there's no TT in this year Avenir, and yes, that benefies Bernal.

Sivakov is impressive, but if Bernal doesn't lose time in the first 6 flat stages (yes, really, there are 6 flat stages :mad: ), Bernal is the clear favorite.

DNP-Old said:
Cordi333 said:
luckyboy said:
Will be so great to see Sivakov and Bernal at Sky :Neutral:

Sivakov is in the BMC Development Team. So I don't think so.
Sivakov is rumoured to have signed with Sky. Being in someones devo team doesn't mean all that much, especially in BMC's case who can only offer a one year contract.
BMC can offer a two-year contract, but with only the financial part being secure.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Regarding Adrien Costa - it might have nothing to do either with falling out with the team or with medical issues. The guy is young, at the age when often people decide on their future and are able and willing to do major changes in their life. Cycling is not only thing out there for human being to do; being talented or not.
Suprising is people are writing that it's really strange, that it's odd team doesn't communicate it for three months; team could have absolutely no clue about his decision until recently. How do we know Axeon kept their mouth shut for three months? We don't.

Riding his bike doesn't exclude loss of motivation, or apetite for racing; that's two different things.

I'm not so sure about that Axeon have known about his decision for few months. Probably they gave him some time to think about his future and after that Costa told them that he wants a longer break.

Colombian team for l'Avenir:
Egan Arley Bernal, Iván Ramiro Sosa (Androni Sidermec), Wldy Enrique Sandoval (Boyacá Es Para Vivirla), Daniel Felipe Martínez (Wilier Southeast), Cristian Camilo Muñoz (Coldeportes Zenú) y Álvaro José Hodeg (Coldeportes Zenú)

RedheadDane said:
DNP-Old said:
Egan Bernal, Iván Ramiro Sosa (Androni), Wldy Enrique Sandoval (Boyacá Es Para Vivirla), Daniel Felipe Martínez (Wilier Southeast), Cristian Camilo Muñoz (Coldeportes Zenú) y Álvaro José Hodeg (Coldeportes Zenú)

What's his name? :surprised:
Those things are common in Colombia, like Jhoan instead of Johan, Jhon instead of John, Wbeimar instead of Weimar. It's meant to be Wilby, but on official files and such it's Wldy.

DNP-Old said:
RedheadDane said:
DNP-Old said:
Egan Bernal, Iván Ramiro Sosa (Androni), Wldy Enrique Sandoval (Boyacá Es Para Vivirla), Daniel Felipe Martínez (Wilier Southeast), Cristian Camilo Muñoz (Coldeportes Zenú) y Álvaro José Hodeg (Coldeportes Zenú)

Those things tend to happen in Colombia. It's meant to be Wilby.

So, his parents just went W-l-d-y, says "Wilby"? Are letters pronounced wildly differently in Spanish compared to English?

RedheadDane said:
DNP-Old said:
RedheadDane said:
DNP-Old said:

So, his parents just went W-l-d-y, says "Wilby"? Are letters pronounced wildly differently in Spanish compared to English?
Honestly, probably just a typo when registering their child.

DNP-Old said:
RedheadDane said:
DNP-Old said:
RedheadDane said:
DNP-Old said:

Poor guy, then. Having to explain to everyone how his name is pronounced. Not possible to have it corrected?

Hmm... on PCS he's Wildy, which... actually doesn't sound so strange.

(Can't wait to hear commentators struggle with it, though.)

RedheadDane said:
DNP-Old said:
RedheadDane said:
DNP-Old said:
RedheadDane said:
[quote="

Poor guy, then. Having to explain to everyone how his name is pronounced. Not possible to have it corrected?

Hmm... on PCS he's Wildy, which... actually doesn't sound so strange.

(Can't wait to hear commentators struggle with it, though.)
It's corrected, it'll say Wildy. Another example is Chaves. http://www.letour.fr/le-tour/2017/us/riders/orica-scott/chaves-johan-esteban.html. As you can see it says Johan Esteban, but his actual name is Jhoan Esteban.

I think that's a mistake. In Spain we have an idiom that suits the situation perfectly: "to kill flies with a cannon".
Instead of close down the development team, why not introduce in the promises contracts some preference clause for the BMC pro team?

TRENDING THREADS