• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

U23 races and talents

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Cordi333 said:
I think that's a mistake. In Spain we have an idiom that suits the situation perfectly: "to kill flies with a cannon".
Instead of close down the development team, why not introduce in the promises contracts some preference clause for the BMC pro team?
If it were possible under the current rules, I'm sure they'd have done so.

Not sure whether this belongs here but given this is just speculation, I'll post here instead of the transfer page.

Wondering how many of the following riders will go pro or will wait and do some more years at U23. Sorry I don't know much about U23 scene South America but if there's any guys who are likely to go pro please tell me! Feel free to add to the list if I miss anyone.

Harm Vanhoucke and Bjorg Lambrecht of Lotto-Soudal U23 (going pro Aug 2018)
Jhonatan Narvaez (confirmed to QuickStep) Chris Lawless and Neilson Powless (both reportedly close to Cannondale) of Axeon
The BMC Devo riders (Sivakov likely to Sky, Muller and Welten stagiaire with BMC, Turgis stagiaire with Cofidis, Cras reportedly has offers from Sport Vlaanderen and Sunweb)
Mitchelton guys (Stannard I'm sure will stay on U23) Hamilton, Hindley, Storer
Alexandr Riabushenko (stagiaire with UAE, reportedly signed full time)
Mark Padun (just announced as Bahrain-Merida stagiaire)
Scott Davies and James Knox
Fabio Jakobsen
Kristoffer Halvorsen
Nicola Conci
Matteo Fabbro (confirmed to Katusha)

Re:

JoeD1997 said:
Not sure whether this belongs here but given this is just speculation, I'll post here instead of the transfer page.

Wondering how many of the following riders will go pro or will wait and do some more years at U23. Sorry I don't know much about U23 scene South America but if there's any guys who are likely to go pro please tell me! Feel free to add to the list if I miss anyone.

Harm Vanhoucke and Bjorg Lambrecht of Lotto-Soudal U23
Jhonatan Narvaez and Neilson Powless of Axeon
The BMC Devo riders (Sivakov likely to Sky, Muller and Welten stagiaire with BMC, Turgis stagiaire with Cofidis, Cras reportedly has offers from Sport Vlaanderen and Sunweb)
Alexandr Riabushenko (stagiaire with UAE)
Mark Padun
Scott Davies
Nicola Conci
Matteo Fabbro

Davies is an interesting prospect. I wouldn't be surprised if he moved up.

Re:

JoeD1997 said:

Harm Vanhoucke and Bjorg Lambrecht of Lotto-Soudal U23
Jhonatan Narvaez and Neilson Powless of Axeon
Alexandr Riabushenko (stagiaire with UAE)
Mark Padun
Scott Davies
Nicola Conci
Matteo Fabbro
As of right now: none. Well, except for Alvaro Hodeg whose arrival at Quick Step has been announced a while ago. He will start racing with them as a stagiaire in Burgos and then turn pro in 2018. Probably the only Colombian to go WT next year. As far as South-America goes, some team might come back for José Luis Rodriguez who stayed in Chile this year due to personal reasons and Narvaez to Movistar seems a gimme.

To add to your list:
Harm Vanhoucke and Bjorn Lambrecht will turn pro in August 2018 with Lotto.
Neilson Powless seems to be very close to Cannondale.
Alexandr Riabushenko had signed with UAE about a week ago.
Matteo Fabbro was rumored to go to Sky during Giro U23.

Re:

GenericBoonenFan said:
I've read in the paper that Sport Vlaanderen is also taking on 3 new guys, but I only remeber one of the names Emiel Planckaert.

Edit: another one could've been Milan Menten but I'm not sure...

Menten (1996), Ghys (1997), Verwilst (1997) and Planckaert (1996) if he doesn't get a contract from Lotto Soudal after his stagiaire period.

Menten is a pretty fast guy, Ghys is doing the track-road combination and is having a really good year (he's European u23 Madison champion and silver medalist on the team pursuit) , Verwilst has probably earned his pro contract in the two pro races he rode with the national team, Planckaert is an allrounder (brother of Baptiste (Katusha) and Edward (SVB)).

They're doing the right thing by signing with Sport Vlaanderen, which is an awesome team to take the next step in their careers, definitely for classis-style riders.

Invited team to l'Avenir

Germany, Australia, Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Colombia, Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes, Bretagne, Denmark, United States, France, Great Britain, Ireland, Italia, Japan, Luxembourg, Marocco, Norway, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Czech Republic, Russia, Switzerland

No Spain :confused:

Aug 11, 2017
Visit site
Re: Re:

DNP-Old said:
perico said:
DNP-Old said:
I hate to insinuate things and it's definitely not the right subforum to do so, but this whole Costa thing is odd. You don't just take a break from out of nowhere. What makes it even more odd is Axeon's behaviour, keeping their mouths shut for three months. He is taking a break from cycling, but yet he has all the time in the world to ride his bike all over France. :confused:

Something stinks here. It has to be more than just taking a break because I feel like doing so.
One of their riders died in competition this year. It could be that there was some tension and when something as affecting as that happened, who knows...
Could be an explanation, but Costa was already DNF'ing, DNS'ing and ''not showing up'' for races prior to Chad Young's crash. If that had anything to do with injury and/or sickness, surely Axeon would have communicated something. Instead, there was radio silence for months.

you insinuate that Costa is using PEDs in prior post, but here you mention "DNF'ing, DNS'ing and ''not showing up'' for races prior to Chad Young's crash." - hardly seems to fit your narrative that he is on a program. so, is it a "clinic" situation or not?

he is a child, plain and simple. while it seems that you feel a 19 year old child should be fully matured, few if any are. FWIW, what exactly were you doing at his age? did many of your friends/coworkers die on the job?

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Edit: AQETUYIOI already posted the link.
The Colombian team with Bernal and 2 other pros is a bit over the top, but Australia is also crazy strong, the US squad and the Italians with Fabbro, Conci and Carboni are also pretty strong, only Covili is missing.
Riabushenko is riding, that's always great news and it will be interesting to see if Sivakov will be able to work with the rest of his team, after all he's pretty much a western rider who was born in Italy and raised in France, but Vlasov is also riding on an Italian team and with the Russians riding in Italy all the time it shouldn't be a problem.
Of course I only mentioned a few of the strong teams and riders.

Re: Re:

janraaskalt said:
Vesica said:
yaco said:
Lucas Hamilton wins the GC at Alsace and the KOM - Wonder which WT team he will join in 2018,

Maybe he will join his brother Chris at Sunweb? Just guessing, it's not a rumour or something. Otherwise Orica would be a logical option.

I thought the 2 Hamiltons were not related. :confused:

Correct! Same last name, same country but that's it

TRENDING THREADS