• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

U23 races and talents

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Armchair cyclist said:
JoeD1997 said:
He was caught up in that crash, early reports from HBA say broken femur :( Very sad, probably ends his season, very bad way to end an U23 career.

You might want to edit that emoticon: it looks very much like a smile, which I hope is not your intention.

Edited the emoticon for you anyway, but that seems a puzzling thing to have picked up on, especially when the emoticon was followed by the words "very sad", which I feel adequately revealed the intention of the emoticon. I think if I was gaining any sot of pleasure from what happened yesterday, I would not then describe his situation as being "sad", no? I actually have met Will before, but even if we were speaking about a rider who I was not a fan of or had spoken to, I would never wish an injury of any kind upon them, let alone a broken leg. Hopefully this clears everything up...

Giro Valle d'Aosta starts today, doesn't have the best of startlists. Race has become pretty dull with the return of Giro U23. Zalf for instance isn't starting because they don't want to burn their riders, but at least Colpack is here with Bagioli, after he had to miss out on the Giro due to school commitments.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

DNP-Old said:
Giro Valle d'Aosta starts today, doesn't have the best of startlists. Race has become pretty dull with the return of Giro U23. Zalf for instance isn't starting because they don't want to burn their riders, but at least Colpack is here with Bagioli, after he had to miss out on the Giro due to school commitments.
Isn't Zalf still blacklisted because of the teamcar that helped Andreetta to win the final MTT in 2014?
He got DQed and since then there's no love lost between the race organizers and Zalf.

Mayomaniac said:
DNP-Old said:
Isn't Zalf still blacklisted because of the teamcar that helped Andreetta to win the final MTT in 2014?
He got DQed and since then there's no love lost between the race organizers and Zalf.
Zalf, like last year, decided not to participate because they don't want to burn their riders.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

DNP-Old said:
Mayomaniac said:
DNP-Old said:
Zalf, like last year, decided not to participate because they don't want to burn their riders.
That makes sense, Zalf has a rep for being careful and not burning their riders, the guys who ride their first year in the U23 ranks usually only get a pretty limited amount of racing.

Result uphill prologue Giro Valle d'Aosta. Jonas Vingegaard Rasmussen wins ahead of Stefan de Bod and Mark Donovan
Dh1i-t_XcAAGQNF.jpg

Colombia's team for l'Avenir:
Ivan Sosa (Androni Sidermec)
Cristian Camilo Muñoz (Coldeportes Zenú Sello Rojo)
Daniel Muñoz (EPM Scott)
Alejandro Osorio (Avinal GW El Carmen de Viboral)
Harold Tejada (EPM Scott)
Javier Ignacio Montoya (Trevigiani Phonix)

Re:

DNP-Old said:
Colombia's team for l'Avenir:
Ivan Sosa (Androni Sidermec)
Cristian Camilo Muñoz (Coldeportes Zenú Sello Rojo)
Daniel Muñoz (EPM Scott)
Alejandro Osorio (Avinal GW El Carmen de Viboral)
Harold Tejada (EPM Scott)
Javier Ignacio Montoya (Trevigiani Phonix)

Very strong team, missing Rubio Reyes and Nico Saenz, I wonder if that was to include more beef so they don't ship boatloads of time in the TTT?

Einer Rubio won GP Capodarco today. It used to be a pretty big one day race for U23's in Italy, but now, after killing off Valle d'Aosta, they've done so to this one too, as they planned it the day before l'Avenir. Therefore, there weren't a lot big names in the race. However, Rubio is having a great season and he seems like a perfect fit for Androni, would make sense too.

DkvMVywXcAEZf78.jpg

Re:

DNP-Old said:
Einer Rubio won GP Capodarco today. It used to be a pretty big one day race for U23's in Italy, but now, after killing off Valle d'Aosta, they've done so to this one too, as they planned it the day before l'Avenir.

Capodarco is always on the 16th of August. They planned the start of l'Avenir the day after GP Capodarco.

Re:

Logic-is-your-friend said:
Which are going to be the most interesting riders coming from the junior ranks (born in 2000) joining the U23 next year?

Wærenskjold?
Mayrhofer?
Vacek?
Van Wilder?
Skjelmose?
Ghirmay?
Plapp?
Balmer?
Technically Vacek is going pro, as Axeon is PCT. Of course, we'll see him plenty as Axeon usually rides the Giro and such. There's no doubt he is the best prospect out of those guys. Balmer on the other hand isn't sure yet what he'll do, but it does seem likely he'll continue as a full time road cyclist and he has several offers from French teams. I'd say that he is at least the most intriguing off them all.

As far as results go in year 1, Van Wilder seems like the safest bet at Lotto Soudal U23. With Vanhoucke and Dewulf going pro, they kind of are in need of a new leader so to say.

Re:

Which are going to be the most interesting riders coming from the junior ranks (born in 2000) joining the U23 next year?

Wærenskjold?
Mayrhofer?
Vacek?
Van Wilder?
Skjelmose?
Ghirmay?
Plapp?
Balmer?

Luke Plapp is selected as "potential" for the 2024 Olympics on the track. Probably not much road cycling until then.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

DNP-Old said:

Wærenskjold?
Mayrhofer?
Vacek?
Van Wilder?
Skjelmose?
Ghirmay?
Plapp?
Balmer?
Technically Vacek is going pro, as Axeon is PCT. Of course, we'll see him plenty as Axeon usually rides the Giro and such. There's no doubt he is the best prospect out of those guys. Balmer on the other hand isn't sure yet what he'll do, but it does seem likely he'll continue as a full time road cyclist and he has several offers from French teams. I'd say that he is at least the most intriguing off them all.

As far as results go in year 1, Van Wilder seems like the safest bet at Lotto Soudal U23. With Vanhoucke and Dewulf going pro, they kind of are in need of a new leader so to say.
Vacek is still pretty raw when it comes to anything but climbing, so riding for Axeon could actually be a good move, as long as he doesn't stay there for too long.

So the newly formed Groupama-FDJ farm team starts the year in style. They have a really strong roster and will probably dominate the French U23 calender (Chambery being their strongest opponents I suppose).

In their first ever race yesterday they dominated the Boucles de l'Essor with Theo Nonnez winning in front of Jake Stewart. They placed four other riders in the Top 10.

Today at the Circuit de l'Essor they took another win + 2nd. Alexys Brunel wins in front of Kevin Geniets. This time with 3 other riders of theirs in the Top 10.

I see that I post something about Balmer being ''likely he'll continue as a full time road cyclist''. Turns out he is suffering from the Van der Poel virus and doesn't give a damn about road cycling. For now at least. His focus will remain on the mountain bike, and he'll only ride a few races with the national team (like Romandia, l'Avenir, World Championships and so on). His main goal right now is the 2024 MTB Olympics.

TRENDING THREADS