• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

U23 races and talents

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

DNP-Old said:
xb7ZT6f.png

Marco Brenner's first race as a junior equals first win. I'm really curious what he'll do this weekend in Gent - Wevelgem. His list of results in 2018 was ridiculous, like a German Mathieu van der Poel.

Well he is sort of a climber if i understand correctly. That of course doesn't have to mean much with juniors but I think he will be there to support the classics riders like Ballerstedt.

What's up with Vacek? Just a hard time adapting, or did something happen? I see he's way way down in the GC (more than half an hour), while Vermaerke, who is even younger, is holding his own at roughly 2m45s from the leader.

DNP-Old said:
First Nations Cup race of the season tomorrow for both U23s and juniors. That British junior team is **** loaded.
Doesn't Holland have a good Juniors selection? Belgium should still have a decent U23 selection even without REV, no? Ugh, nevermind. The guys i was thinking of probably won't be worth much tomorrow.

Re:

Logic-is-your-friend said:
DNP-Old said:
First Nations Cup race of the season tomorrow for both U23s and juniors. That British junior team is **** loaded.
Doesn't Holland have a good Juniors selection? Belgium should still have a decent U23 selection even without REV, no?
The Brits have arguably the best rider in Askey and no doubt the strongest team. I mean, Ben Tulett, 2x, B2B world champion in the cross isn't their leader, while Alex Haines, who won in Nokere Koerse, isn't even selected. Leo Hayter, Ethan's younger brother, is very good too. The Dutch team, as far as strength in numbers go, is the second best team I'd say. Van der Tuuk, Leijnse and Van Uden are all very decent, while Bodi Del Grosso has probably been the most consistent junior this season. The Italian team was a nightmare last year. Just stacked on every terrain, and they won here with Manfredi (who is now a U23 with FDJ, although he hasn't had the chance to enjoy it much since he was in a coma for a month after crashing on training), despite Remco being there. Piccolo and Tiberi still remain from said nightmare, I'd expect the former to be up there in the classics this year.

The Belgiums are decent, but meh imo when compared to last year, which tells you something about this generation, but also a whole lot about how good last years was. However, it's all relative. I mean, Vito Braet and Jarne Van De Paar are like 40 days too old to start here, they'd be up there no doubt. Debruyne, Vandenbulcke and Frentin are alright however. Spain and the States are bringing Carlos Rodriguez and Quinn Simmons respectively, I like them too. Don't know much about the Danes and Norwegians. Most intriguing rider to me is Marco Brenner, 16 years old, born in August of 2002. Not sure if he'll lead. The Germans are bringing Ballerstedt and have added Heßmann a day or two ago.

01 Quinn Simmons 2001 USA
02 Lewis Askey 2001 Great Britain
03 Sam Watson 2001 Great Britain
04 Ben Tulett 2001 Great Britain -
05 Sakarias Koller Løland 2001 Norway -
06 Nicholas Marthe 2001 Belgium
07 Andrea Piccolo 2001 Italy -
08 Antonio Tiberi 2001 Italy -
09 Maurice Ballerstedt 2001 Germany -
10 Igor Arrieta Lizarraga Spain

TRENDING THREADS