• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

U23 races and talents

Page 38 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Philipsen will ride with the U23's in Yorkshire. I think the successor of Hirschi is known.
I don't know the route for the U23 (length, climbs), but he is always there when in the final and copes a lot better with a hard race than many other pro sprinters (i'm inclined to say, better than most). Had a staggering amount of top 10 finishes with the pros (i think over 20), he's just lacking in top speed. If he can manage to become faster, a lot of those top 10 finishes will turn into wins. Or maybe he'll just turn into an allround classics rider? I don't know if there is anybody faster in the U23 though. He easily beat Groves yesterday, and he's said to be one of the fastest.

And if Foss (22) can win l'Avenir at his age, Philipsen (21) shouldn't feel bad about riding the U23 WC.

Some good news from the UK domestic scene after the demise of Team Wiggins.

The rumours were true and Trinity Racing are setting up a development road team for 2020, headlined by Tom Pidcock. Ben Healey is the only other confirmed rider so far, with another six yet to be announced. Likely to be non-UCI, which means no Tour of Britain or Yorkshire, but they should be able to compete at most of the major U-23 races?

So, Rubio & Alba going to Movistar, Bagioli to QuickStep, Van Wilder to Sunweb, Arensman (Sunweb), Bissegger (EF) & Vansevenant (DQS) going pro in the summer, Ardilla going to UAE, Simmons skipping U23 altogether to Trek, Champoussin turning pro for AG2R in April. Foss to Jumbo Visma, Verschaeve to Lotto, Schelling to Bora, Inkelaar to Bahrein McLaren...

Basically, only Leknessund staying in U23 of the "big names" it seems.

So, first point i'm trying to make, we could see a complete new generation of contenders in the U23's in 2020.
Secondly, i'm quite interested to see how these guys progress. But this won't be the topic to discuss them anymore. Ardilla & Simmons already have their own topic, but those other guys don't. Should we make a "General topic for riders who don't deserve their own thread yet" topic? Surely we shouldn't make a topic for each of them to discuss their their progress, when they might be struggling or having issues making their mark. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Who are the u-23 riders to watch in 2020? I need to pick a few without a pro contract in one of the games but beyond Vermaerke and Pidcock, I have no idea who I should choose. Preferably those who could do well in l'Avenir, u-23 Giro, Aosta or u-23 WC.

Who are the u-23 riders to watch in 2020? I need to pick a few without a pro contract in one of the games but beyond Vermaerke and Pidcock, I have no idea who I should choose. Preferably those who could do well in l'Avenir, u-23 Giro, Aosta or u-23 WC.
Not sure, but Andrea Piccolo and Alessio Martinelli are probably among them, going by their results in this race:

^ Evenepoel and Van Wilder finished 1st and 2nd last year.

Reactions: Anderis

TRENDING THREADS