• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

U23 races and talents

Page 40 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 19, 2014
Visit site
I hope that Märkl and Mayrhofer can deliver something this year. They had injury (Mayrhofer) and crash (Märkl) marred seasons last year.
Some others that I think are bound to have an impact are both Vermaerke and Quinn in hilly races and stage races respectively, Jake Stewart in the classics and harder finishes, Verschaeve in hilly races and maybe also stage races, Reynders in the classics, Pidcock obviously when he starts his road season, Theo Nonnez in stage races and hilly classics, Alexandre Balmer now that he focusses on the road, Jaka primozic in classics etc.

Just from the top of my head and without thinking about Italy and Scandinavia.

Other then that it will be interesting which top juniors from last year will hit the ground running. As already mentioned Tiberi and Piccolo are good shouts, as is Enzo Leijnse I think.
Based on what you assume/ know that Balmer is focussed on the road?

LE TAPPE DEL GIRO D’ITALIA UNDER 23 2020:
Giovedì 4 giugno | 1/a tappa | Urbino (PU) – Urbino (PU) km 156,1
Venerdì 5 giugno | 2/a tappa | Urbino (PU) – Riccione (RN) km 150,7
Sabato 6 giugno | 3/a tappa | Riccione (RN) – Mordano (BO) km 162,1
Domenica 7 giugno | 4/a tappa – ITT | Sorbolo Mezzani (PR) – Guastalla (RE) km 25,4
Lunedì 8 giugno | RIPOSO
Martedì 9 giugno | 5/a tappa | Bonferraro di Sorgà (VR) – Bolca (VR) km 167,1
Mercoledì 10 giugno | 6/a tappa | Marostica (VI) – Rosà (VI) km 134,1
Giovedì 11 giugno | 7/a tappa | Borgo Valsugana (TN) – Passo Vezzena (TN) km 114,0
Venerdì 12 giugno | 8/a tappa | Colico (LC) – Colico (LC) km 159,0
Sabato 13 giugno | 9/a tappa | Lecco (LC) – Monte Spluga (SO) km 130,3
Domenica 14 giugno | 10/a tappa | Aprica (SO) – Aprica (SO) km 94,0

percorso-giro-u23-2020.jpg

Is a guy like Pidcock, 100% pro, a fair competition against a bunch of students?

Nice for Tom to possible win, but there is for him no real honor to gain.

Walter
Note: I might be biased
A bunch of students? Not all U23's are going to college. Plenty of them are 100% cyclists as well. Also, they are free to do CX in the winter or pursue results on the track just like Pidcock if they think it will give them an edge over the competition. And you could also look at it from a different angle. Those other guys get to put much more hours specifically into climbing or TT'ing, while Pidcock has to divide his training and focus into track, cross, road, TT...

Reactions: Koronin
At least in Belgium the vast majority is studying (don't know of any U23 who isnt).
So 100% cyclist is really really an exception. Even the very few U23 who have a date to become pro still are combining studying with their hobby....
Not sure what a pidcock has to search in such a competition...

Can you name a few belgian u23 riders who are 100% dedicated to cycling?

Walter

At least in Belgium the vast majority is studying (don't know of any U23 who isnt).
So 100% cyclist is really really an exception. Even the very few U23 who have a date to become pro still are combining studying with their hobby....
Not sure what a pidcock has to search in such a competition...

Can you name a few belgian u23 riders who are 100% dedicated to cycling?

Walter
I could check, but i thought Van Wilder had put school behind him last year. I know Vansevenant and Arensman (NL) were still completing a degree (which is why they only turn pro in the summer). It doesn't really matter either, imho. It's not a "student cycling" program, it's an age bracket. They know what they are getting into. They aren't obligated to pursue an academic degree. It's the same *** as saying Philipsen or Lambrecht shouldn't have been allowed to ride the U23 championships, because they were riding WT.

"Will the majority of the competition be Belgians?"

Not that I know ;-). It is the only reference I know. Or turn it around; next time you see a Belgian U23 race; remember, it is just a hobby for a student..

Last edited:
I could check, but i thought Van Wilder had put school behind him last year. I know Vansevenant and Arensman (NL) were still completing a degree (which is why they only turn pro in the summer). It doesn't really matter either, imho. It's not a "student cycling" program, it's an age bracket. They know what they are getting into. They aren't obligated to pursue an academic degree. It's the same *** as saying Philipsen or Lambrecht shouldn't have been allowed to ride the U23 championships, because they were riding WT.
Let me be clear; I am not saying they aren't allowed , just saying there is no real honor to gain (in riding against a bunch of students...).

Same for Pidcock in riding U23 CX WC; no honor there (and he knew it, so road the pro WC race).

Van Wilder at least formally was studying (not sure if he was doing serious efforts).

Yes, U23 is an age bracket; but once you are good enough you become a pro. And most who make this step abandon U23 races.... Pidcock seems good enough for pro racing. Up to him to descide.
But at least in Belgium you will see often the sentiment that pro riders have nothing to search in U23 racers (where I agree ;-)).

And saying "they are not obliged to study"; not sure what you mean with this. Most U23 riders will not make it as a pro. They better work on a backup plan.... or have a very good mecenas who doesn't care about putting money into a target with low chance of success... (like your average 19 year old going for a career in cycling). And if you know these mecena, would be good to share them ;-).
That being said: yes there are riders who can convince their parents to just invest in their cycling career. But at the moment I don't see any of these making it to the pros (again the Belgian situation - which is after all even last year the most successful nation in cycling according to the UCI ranking).

Just because some of them study, doesn't mean the majority are.
"Some"; at the moment a majority of Belgians becoming pro is studying, not some.

Just because some of them aren't going to make it as pro, doesn't mean they have to be studying.
'Some'; actually most of them will not make it...

Just because some of them study, doesn't mean cycling isn't their main focus
If you are actually succeeding in your studies, at least the studying part means you cannot focus 100% on the sport.

"Some"; at the moment a majority of Belgians becoming pro is studying, not some.

We aren't talking about Belgians! We're talking (upcoming) pros in general.

'Some'; actually most of them will not make it...

Still doesn't mean they have to be studying. They could be focusing 100% on cycling now, and if it doesn't work out, just get a job.

If you are actually succeeding in your studies, at least the studying part means you cannot focus 100% on the sport.

Could have an agreement with the school to be allowed to miss more classes than the rest, hand in assignment later, or even spend more years finishing school than usual.

As for the Giro; you are aware there's an actual pro team in the lineup, right?

Could have an agreement with the school to be allowed to miss more classes than the rest, hand in assignment later, or even spend more years finishing school than usual.
Indeed: but no matter how your studying is organized, it means your training effort will be different then the guys doing 100% cycling.
As for the Giro; you are aware there's an actual pro team in the lineup, right?
Didn't know there was a pro U23 team ;-).

But if you take something from the discussion; if you want to understand who will the future better riders, - at least if it comes to Belgians- you can not just compare them just based on their results.

Still doesn't mean they have to be studying. They could be focusing 100% on cycling now, and if it doesn't work out, just get a job.
But that is an not an easy professional start without any formal education. But it can be a choice of live. But the question is; who is the mecenas to pay for these years?

I think this just shows a different mentality to the UK and someone like Pidcock. Especially now when the racing scene in the UK is sort of falling apart from the moment. Alot of the top GB riders if not on the BC academy go out to Europe full time for a couple of summer seasons and just ignore any form of higher education whether University or vocational. Even the ones who don't go out to France, Belgium etc spend a good couple of months out in spain.

Interesting comment; I will check once the career plans of the foreigners in Belgium -might take a year ;-). Do their mecena just let them race or is there a plan B ongoing.
The case of pidcock is different as he actually makes money - even a lot I assume. Which is in contrast to the majority of U23 riders (or is this different outside of Belgium as well?). And he already knows he can make a living in the coming 10 year in cyclocross - if he spend a lot of time in Belgium in the CX saisons.

So how about Almeida? Pretty good ride today in Algarve. Setting such a high pace that he even managed to drop riders like Kwiatkowski, Thomas or GVA. I said it in another thread, but Quickstep have managed to land some talented climbers this offseason with him and Bagioli. Add Knox who extended his contract and Vansevenant will join them in July. All of them can grow with Evenepoel and become a strong team for years to come (if they can keep them all together that is). Obviously not a squad rivaling the likes of Movistar or Ineos just yet, but give these guys 2 more years and we could be talking about a dangerous team going uphill. At the very least an interesting project that Lefevere started. After 20 years of classics riders he now tries to actually build a team of talented climbers. Just a shame they lost Enric Mas.

TRENDING THREADS